Pannepot Reserva - De Struise Brouwers

Quadrupel (Quad) |  10.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 04-02-2007

Reviews: 360 | Hads: 1,059
3.95/5  rDev -7.3%

2008 Vintage. Pours a dark brownish-red color with a small off-white head that diminishes quickly. Scent is candied dark fruits with light alcohol and brown sugar. Taste is very well-balanced and complex with hints of oak and vanilla. A little bit of caramel as well with some nice spiciness. Finishes with a bit of booze and more dark fruits. Carbonation is a bit lacking for this style IMO, but still very nice and drinkable. Overall, it's a very good beer, but I don't know if I'd prefer it to Rochefort 10 or St Bernardus 12.

3.95/5  rDev -7.3%

2008, 12 oz., into a Perfect Pint.

A: Pours a murky, orange amber, topped with a half-inch of tan head that leaves a bit of sticky lacing. Not much apparent carbonation in the body.

S: Very carmelized and boozy up front, mellowing into a mild, sherry-like sweetness with a touch of vanilla.

T: Not sweet for a big quad, more dry than I expected. Slightly astringent and woody, but not much. Otherwise, a sort of generic malt flavor dominates--a little chocolate and caramel, but otherwise a subdued, raisin taste, with some booze presence. Some earthy hopping lingers in the end.

M: Lower end of the carbonation scale suits this well enough. I taste the alcohol, but the sensation warms pleasantly.

D: It goes down easily for a big beer, but hard to imagine drinking several of these. Quads are pretty extravagant, I find; this one's on the restrained end.

3.96/5  rDev -7%

Dark plum like coloring it was served with out much head but had impressive lacing.

The scent was rather weak but once I had time to really investigate I caught plum, prune, fig and raisin.

The taste was very interesting as I caught huge chocolatey notes. Not barrel aged but impressive vanilla and caramel malt flavors set outside the typical dried fruit. I catch no alcohol but tons of candied sweetness, it's enjoyable but washed away with a wateriness.

Overhyped, perhaps, but enjoyable and tasty, oh yeah.

3.96/5  rDev -7%

Bottle courtesy of Flup, thanks for the opportunity! 2006 bottle poured into my Westvleteren chalise.

A - Pours a rich and dark mahogany with a light tan frothy head. I left the last few drops in the bottle as there were lots of little chunky floaties left. Great head retention and nice trails of lacing; a thin pool of light tan microfoam covered the entire top of the beer for the duration of this tasting.

S - Not a very powerful nose. There are hints of caramel malt, red fruits, spices like cinnamon and nutmeg, and that typical belgian yeastiness. No alcohol presence.

T - Reflects the nose, nice sweetness from the malts. I'm wondering if this one is a bit cold right now? I feel it's a bit closed. I'll come back to the taste in a few minutes. Back now, and this has opened up - more dark red fruits, spicy nuances, and tasty maltiness. Belgian yeastiness and candied orange peel on the finish.

M - This one has a medium body and a nice smooth mouthfeel, assisted by those tiny Belgian bubbles just flowing over my tongue. Nice, tight carbonation - tingly. Overall, soft like a pillow and goes down extremely well.

D - Pretty good. This is tasty, the alcohol is completely hidden. I'd call this a really-nice-to-have, but not a must have.

3.97/5  rDev -6.8%

I've had this one a few times over the years.. mainly from Inflatablechair... But... now, suddenly we are getting them in Boise!! Yaayy!!

2008 375 shared with Sam tonight... poured into my small tulip. Thin tannish head atop a hazed deep amber brew.

Nose is boozy and pretty oak forward with some toasty malts and hints of raisin... good malt presence with an interesting plummy quality.

Flavor is not as rich as the nose... but still pretty nice.. mildly malty and a bit sweeter than I appreciate... some lite cherry ester notes... overall the malt profile is lighter than expected... oak is present but really shows on the more heavy side toward the finish and it combines with a lingering sweetness...

Pretty nice.. the oak never goes too far and just adds a nice layer of complexity from front to back..

3.97/5  rDev -6.8%

Reviewed from my notes. Served in my Uprising Chalice at Novare Res, NYE 2010.

A: Dark brown liquid with a soapy brown skim of foam on top. Opaque. I was expecting a more impressive head; honestly, I'm a little disappointed.

S: Nutty, spiced aroma. A touch of sweetness.

T: Plums and prunes. Crystal sugar. Some alcohol and a touch of black cherries. Seltzer at the finish.

M: This is a tad syrupy. It leaves a flavorful coat. The carbonation tingles.

D: This is pretty drinkable, but I expected more out of this beer. In the future, I will stick with the regular Pannepot, or spring for a Grand Reserva, both of which I enjoyed more than this version.

3.98/5  rDev -6.6%

Reviewed from notes. Found a bunch of 2008 vintages at a local store, was gonna buy a ton but probably just get a few, already tastes extremely OLD and worn down.

A- Extremely dark brown with a big, creamy light tan head that has good retention. Nice cloud and tons of fine lace.

S- Mostly stale caramel malt like an old ale. Some vanilla, dark fruit and light spice. Slight alcohol.

T- Flavorful but does not jump out and impress me like the 2006 Pannepot I had a few weeks back. Dark fruit comes in pretty big followed by some spice and vanilla. Oak not amazingly present.

MF- Light body feels kind of watery even. Low, silky carbonation. Pretty warm from alcohol.

DB- The regular Pannepot blew me away with complexity. This one just seems too old, I will have to find a newer bottle, it reminds of the 2007 Van Der Kaiser Blauw I had months back. A ton of stale caramel malt and nothing much else.

3.98/5  rDev -6.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

Bottle opened on 7.22.13
2010 Vintage

A - Pours a dark mocha brown with a light brown head with good retention.

S - Caramel candy, boozy raisins.

T - Toasted malt, subtle caramel, light fruitiness.

D - Good carbonation with a medium body.

O - A touch of sweetness, but a nice easy to drink beer with lots of caramel and fruit.

2008 vintage.

Pours a dark brown with a finger of off-white foamy head. This quickly dissipates to a thing layer across the top and some medium lacing on the glass.

Not a lot on the nose for me besides the raisin notes. I don't exactly have the best olfactory senses though.

Flavors of bread, raisin, plum, brown sugar and some noticeable booze. Somewhat yeasty as I would expect from a quad.

Full bodied, a little thick and slick. Adequate carbonation. Very drinkable, because I didn't even realize I was on my final sips.

11.2 oz bottle, dated 2006. Pours a murky brownish tea color with a thin white head that quickly diminishes to a thin film.

The aroma is sweet brown sugary malts, figs, and a little wood.

The flavor is sweet caramel malts, some dark fruits, earthy yeast and some spices with a light grassy bitterness at the finish. The alcohol is present at the finish, but not overdone. The mouthfeel is medium to full with soft carbonation.

Overall, a nice dessert type beer.

2008 Vintage.

Appearance – Pours a hazy brown into a tulip. Less than a finger of slight tan head is achieved with a moderate pour.

Smell – Lots of dark fruits, toffee, malts, slight oxidation. Honestly not much else.

Taste – As with the aroma, dark fruits up front. Plums, raisins, and prunes. Alcohol, spices, yeast. Slight rum and a hint of dark sweet cherries. More booze as the beer warms.

Mouthfeel – Medium bodied, lower carbonation.

Overall – A good quad, but there is a heavy metallic taste I just can’t get past. I have a couple other vintages I will re-rate when I try them.

Bottle courtesy of Bu11zeye: Poured a deep dirty cloudy brown color ale with a large foamy head with great retention and some good lacing. Aroma consists of bubblegum ester with some candi sugar and some light spices. Taste is comprised of a sweet malt base which is well balance with some bubblegum ester and some light spicy yeast at the end. Very well balance with no apparent alcohol and a full body with great carbonation. I thought it was slightly less complex then the regular version but I would have to do a side-by-side comparison.

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

It's been awhile since I had this at Novare Res on-tap, but I've finally gotten around to transferring over this review from my limited notes.

12oz pour

Pours a nice deep amber with a smallish tan head, no cap, hardly any lacing.

Smell is mostly malty with hints of spice, caramel, not picking up much of a wood characteristic though.

Taste is spicy with a caramel malt backing, lightly woody oak presence, alcohol is well hidden with only a slight burn on the tongue but no real heat to speak of, creamy mouthfeel with a nice crisp carbonation.

I think I prefer this version over the regular, shame it's much harder to find.

2008 vintage
Pours a lovely light brown, somewhat hazy with reddish hints. Minimal head, very little lacing.
First whiff is boozy! Then raisins, caramel, oak, grape, a little toast.
Right off the bat the booze is there again in the taste, but it is quickly replaced by a cascade of different malts, the varietals of which I can't identify by name but each seeming to surge and then fade, each overlapping the other. The result is all the flavors contained in the aroma, with the caramel supreme. Very sweet, but not cloying, balanced by an earthiness. If the label didn't mention that it was aged on oak, one could miss it: the wood is there in the taste but it melds with the other flavors and does not overwhelm. There's a spiciness to the finish as well, a little burn. A whole lot of things I cannot adequately identify are going on in this beer, and that is a good thing.

Now that I've had a three year old version, I'd like to try this fresh---this is still a sipper, a lot of heat in the nose and the taste, even now, and I'd like to know exactly what time has done to this. It made me think of how much I still have to learn about beer, and how pleasurable that process will be.

I received this in a recent trade with chefmikeanderson (thanks for the beers, bro!). Bottle is a 2008 vintage, and the review is from notes taken on 1/14/2011 and poured from the bottle to a tulip.

Appearance: When I crack the cap, there is a strange, nearly purple/plumb ring of what appears to be yeast sticking to the underside; pour is a dark plumb, caramel color; starts with a full one finger creamy tan head with good retention; body is dark and murky, nearly opaque; head eventually fades to a thin, but full cap, and it leaves fair washes and spots of lacing holding to the sides of the glass.

Smell: Tons of rich and ripe dark fruits -- smells strongly of raisins and figs, and they have a slightly candied presence about them; a rich, sweet caramel/toffee maltiness is underneath the fruitiness; slight presence of alcohol in there, but it seems really well blended

Taste: Wow, very heavy on the dark, ripe and candied fruits with the same flavors mentioned above in the smell (lots of fig, raisins, and even a bit of a white grape flavor to it); definite sweet maltiness that has some aspects of caramel/toffee to it; mild astringent woodiness from the time in the barrel, but it's not really over done and adds a bit of an earthy bitterness to it as well as a hint of vanilla; aftertaste is very much the alcoholic bite, and it's definitely woody -- kind of reminiscent of bourbon or whiskey barrel aged offerings.

Mouthfeel: Body is medium weight and the carbonation is present, but it's soft and fitting of the style; a moderately sticky, rather thin coating is left on the roof of the mouth; gums are left tingly from the ABV and the belly is left warm from it as well.

Drinkability: Overall, it's definitely a great beer, but I find the sweetness from the malts and dark fruit aspects to become a bit much and it comes across as a bit too sweet for my palate and stomach; ABV is also high so I don't think I could drink too much of this in one sitting, and the 11.2 ounce bottle I'm sure will prove to be just enough; I'm glad I got two bottles of this in the trade as I'm hoping that additional time in the bottle will help mellow out the astringency of the alcohol. Excellent overall though.

Many thanks to Tevering99 for the extra. I've been wanting to try this for a while now.

Pours a murky brown with an inch or two tan foam head. For the style, attractive.

Smell is sweet, sweet, sweet. Caramel, belgian candi, and ... brown sugar? The taste is much the same, overwhelmingly sweet with some spices in there to give it complexity. Plums and raisins make an appearance.

I was really afraid that I would drink this and be unable to tell the difference between this and the "normal" Pannepot. Unless my taste buds are completely deceiving me, they both share a similar fruity base, but are completely different animals. These has much less complexity in the fruit/spice background, and is a much sweeter beer (though they're both high on the sugariness).

Good, but I prefer the other.

This bottle is from 2008, and was purchased at Downtown Wine and Spirits in Somerville. The pour reveals an opaque brownish beer, with some ruby hues, and two fingers of white heading. Nose is of juicy dark fruits such as prunes, figs, grapes and dates. Some brown bread and mild alcohol can also be picked up on as it warms. Big blast of candied sugar in the beginning of the taste, followed by more dark fruit nectar, quick hit of hops and carbonation right toward the finish, and a lingering dryness at the end. The body of this beer is big and in your face, and filled with complexities. Drinkability is excellent for a sipper like this. Allow this one to unfold for sure. I would also recommend pairing this with food. Last time I matched this up with a Filet Mignon, which was nice, however I would personally recommend some kind of creamy blue cheese. Excellent stuff here from Struise, right up there with the examples the Trappists make.

dark dark brown (almost black) with a tan head. nose is dark fruit (mainly plum to me), spice, caramel, and charred wood. lots of layers, but humble at the same time. taste follows suit with some added vanilla and grain tastes, and i find almost a smoky hint in the end... and chocolate? pretty sweet, but not cloying. almost full body with a rustic kind of feel. very very good.

4.02/5  rDev -5.6%

Bottle poured into a GI goblet

A - Dark chestnut brown with a slight reddish hue. Looks to have a medium body. Only a small layer of foam sits on top like a layer of moss on a pond

S - Malty nose. It is bready, has dates, figs and raisins, tart cherries, brown sugar, and light oak.

T - Up front, there are dark fruits with dates and figs. There is also bread malt, brown sugar, and light oak. The finish is slightly astringent with light lemon and oak as well as a brandy-like alcohol kick

MF - Creamy body that just rolls and coats the tongue. Low carbonation overall. Finish is slightly astringent with oak and it is warming alcohol that lingers on

O - Great beer. The time in the barrel allows the flavors to mellow out and blend together better than they do in regular Pannepot.

4.02/5  rDev -5.6%

Pours a super deep red/near brown. Hardly any head to speak of....what is there is slightly tan, very whispy. Looks a little thin. Nothing offputting but nothing iniviting.
Smell is dark fruits, candi sugar and alcohol
Taste stays in line with the smell, followed by a distinct warming sensation. After a few sips I notice a lingering spicyness in the aftertaste
Mouthfeel seems a little thin given the abv . As I get further through the bottle though it starts to feel about right as the flavor profile doesn't overwhelm and feels smooth. Carbonation seems about right....a sipper for sure.
Overall this beer is about what you would expect if you are familiar with the style. A bit smoother than most (this being from 2008 helps that a bit I would imagine) in the genre. As with most quads and bsda's I can appreciate the complexity of the taste and can enjoy it as a slow sipper, but I just can't find that flavor note that makes me really fall in love with it the way I do a great IPA or IS. Then again, I paid $9 for 11.2 ounces of this, so maybe it's for the best.

4.02/5  rDev -5.6%

2009 vintage. Thanks to TJBurgess for the sweet extra, many moons ago. Tasted 16 August 2012, reviewed from notes.

Pours deep chocolatey brown, clear on the pour but murky in the glass. It looked like amber oil coming out of the bottle - a viscous unbroken stream. Gentle pour to leave the yeast, led to not much head. And minimal lacing.

Smell is straight-up quad. Big and sweet, with loads of dark fruits. Prunes and dates, with a bit of brown sugar. Smooth and inviting.

Taste is slightly more complex than the smell, with many of the same elements, but some additions. Fruit is toned down somewhat, and there's a tobacco-like dark leafy character. Tasty stuff. A bit of alcohol comes on late, but much less than I'd expect at 10% ABV.

Mouthfeel is viscous and syrupy, as the appearance would suggest. Carbonation is spot-on at medium-low, and the finish is lasting and mellow, allowing those delicious sugary flavors to float around my mouth and slowly fade away.

I love quads. I wouldn't put this at the top of my list, but it's definitely quite good. Strong dark fruit flavors, complemented well by some those dark leafy flavors. And just like that, my glass is nearly empty (which makes me sad).

4.03/5  rDev -5.4%

Poured into a bulb glass a deep amber tinged chesnut brown with a thick two finger tannish colored ead that held well.Aromas of deep dark fruit aka...raisins,prunes,and candied orange peel,almost a spiced cake element to it.Flavors again have a spiced cake note to it with some candied fruit,I dont really detect the calvadose barrel aging much though.A very good beer but maybe a bit overrated?

2008 vintage.

4.03/5  rDev -5.4%

(Served in a tulip glass)
2008 vintage
A- This beer pours a dense opaque brown body with a light sticky tan cream head that leaves register marks after each sip. There is some jetsam of trub swirling around in the body.

S- The aroma of dark candi sugar is soft with a tartness of fruit and red wine tannins to follow. There is a oaky vanilla note that comes through in the finish as the beer warms.

T- The sweet candi sugar is dark and raw with a jam sweetness to it and a cream flavor to follow. The finish is pretty clean from the fizz.

M- This beer has a medium-light mouthfeel with a tight fizz that is full in the finish. There is a creamy texture and a very soft alcohol warmth that hangs on the tongue after each sip.

O- This beer has some nice flavor with a subtle complexity and a soft woody note. There is a nice full sweetness but a little more alcohol to cut it would be nice. There are very faint notes of brett and yeast character that would be nice to taste more of but they just didn't come through.

4.03/5  rDev -5.4%

taste- caramel, tart apple, brown sugar, popcorn, alcohol

color- deep amber/walnut brown

clarity- clear but dark and dense

smell- red wine, oak, whiskey, alcohol, shoe leather, tart, dark fruit, brown sugar, belgian yeast, biscuits

body- smooth on the palate, hop bite at the front of the mouth, pleasant medium-length finish, oily in the finish as the beer warms, well balanced although i think the hop component comes out on top

appearance- fine, soft, active carbonation although i did not agitate the beer when poured. thin off-white head with medium-weight lace and medium-length retention

overall impression- a great quad and one worth seeking out...a strong contender at 10%

notes and comments- this review is for a 2008 vintaqe. lots of yeast caked to the bottom of the bottle yet it didn't transfer to the glass...nice. first had this beer at trappist in oakland a couple of months ago

beer spy- monument liquors, concord ca, 12/1/10, $6.99, 11.2 oz. bottle

glassware: tulip

4.03/5  rDev -5.4%

2008 Vintage on-tap at Max's Belgian Beer Fest. Tried directly after the 2005 Grand Reserva.

It looks the same as the Grand Reserva, but with a better head. The smell is much less roasty and lacks some of the mellowed characteristics I loved on the 05 GR. Very Belgian, sweet, sugary, malty. Moving to the taste, this is balanced and light, the taste is more focused on dark fruits, candied sugar, and Belgian yeasts. While it is balanced, it might need some age. Slight harsh boozy finish, medium body low carbonation. Pretty damn drinkable. This was very good, should have had it before the Grand Reserva. it's just not as good.

Pannepot Reserva from De Struise Brouwers