Pannepøt - Old Monk's Ale - De Struise Brouwers

Pannepøt - Old Monk's AlePannepøt - Old Monk's Ale

De Struise Brouwers visit their website

Quadrupel (Quad) |  10.00% ABV

(Beer added by: weeare138 on 04-02-2007)
2.25/5  rDev -46.2%

random846, Oct 06, 2014
2.75/5  rDev -34.2%

Blind Beer #9 from Shogo.

Called for a wine glass... My Goose Island stemware starts warming up in the bullpen.

A murky reddish brown with some deep plum color hues. Fizzy tan head fizzled its fizzly self down to a fuzzy film in a flash.
(sorry, I have no thesaurus handy... And I love alliteration)
Nice spotty chunks of lacing hang around after a swirl, but begin to drift back like a microcosm of plate tectonics.

So I'm thinking this is some sort of high ABV winter warmer or something...

The smell has some big dark fruit notes like cherry and raisin with an odd malt profile... I'm getting some sweetness, plus some stale dry old-ale malt, and a slightly musty/earthy note.

What the hell is this thing? It is interesting.... Yet I don't know if I like it fully. It's like a junior high girlfriend-- I'm just not ready to commit.

The finish is really dry-- some spicy, earthy, and alcohol linger. I think I really pick up some Belgian yeast, but I could be imagining it. The cherries blend with some chocolate hints up front before it dries out. The boozy character shows up big time as this warms....

I think I'm right about this being high ABV... The Belgian yeast has me thinking quad, but a Belgian Dark Ale could also fit. In either case, I'm thinking this must be pretty fresh. It is sooo hot on the finish.

---- REVEAL ----
2011 Pannepeut.
Wow. I love the regular pannepot-- and this IS very different.

Feels a bit like flat soda. Meh.

Overall-- this is the freshest I've had of -eut, and I know know I want to age a few bottles for a bit longer!
Awesome beer to try blind. Had I known what this was, my love of Pannepot would have certainly inflated my score with its cousin here.

Thanks Phil!

AleWatcher, Feb 05, 2012
2.83/5  rDev -32.3%

Brown and a dark red colored beer, thin beige head to it, sticks around for awhile. Aroma, was not my cup of tea, alcohol and belgian yeast come across in a less than enjoyable aroma for myself.

Taste, whooo, this is a strong beer, I am drinking a fresh bottle of 2011 for this review. If there's fruit here, its the crappy kind, like fig, raisins, prunes etc. ..

Can't wrap myself around this beer, everyone else drinking it likes it, I just think it tastes really strongly of alcohol, which is blurring my ability to taste the other aspects of the beer, but in the few times I've pulled out other flavors, they happen to be those fruits I'm not all big on either. Malt deals in caramel and moreso toffee flavors. Spicing, I dunno, doesn't really come out too much, the heat is blocking my senses.

Really expensive for my enjoyment level.

Beerandraiderfan, Dec 18, 2011

davesway10, Feb 05, 2012
3.05/5  rDev -27%

2008 vintage.

poured into tulip glass.

Appearance: Light brown body with red highlights. Light tan head with minimal lacing.

Smell: Malty and dark fruits with an equally strong smell of something thats a bit off. Maybe infection or astringency from the yeast?

Taste: Sweet raisins and figs. Caramel and maybe some toffee. Some bitterness that seems to be a bit off-putting... maybe its a metallic taste. Kind of distracts from the taste of the beer.

Mouthfeel: Its a full bodied beer. Thick and smooth. Mildly carbonated, i think that the carbonatioon is off on this one also.

Overall: This beer came highly recommended from a person who has very similiar beer tastes as i do. He even said its better than Westy 12, so that made this beer a must try in my book. But this beer just did not do it for me. This is my first beer have had by this brewery and i am not too impressed. I wish i could have tried this beer fresh to get a better idea of what its all about. It talks on the label about an ale thats brewed with spices and i get no hints of spices or any spicyness from this beer...not even a hint. I must be missing something here, i will have to give it another try sometime hopefully with better results.

4DAloveofSTOUT, Aug 15, 2011
3.13/5  rDev -25.1%

From what I understand this is the Denmark versions cause of the slashed O and the explanation that this was brewed for the Danish Ale Festival.

Another consistent De Struise beer. Poured into a tulip glass.

Pours a brown with reddish hue. Light caramel head literally bubbles up with carbonation and slowly dissolves away. Smells typical belgian yeast esters, caramel and dark fruits, too be expected. Taste falls in ling with the aroma, add hints of vanilla and bourbon. There is a chalky after taste that really dings this beer for me. It also hinders the mouth feel. The flavors are everything I love and should be expected from a Belgian Brown Ale but chalk on the tongue is never appreciated. The bourbon/vanilla intensifies as the beer warms. Enjoyable, probably will have it again but never more than one.

sfreshnock, Dec 24, 2008
3.18/5  rDev -23.9%

2007 Bottle labeled Pannepeut shared by tick0rin0.

A: The pour is a dark amber color with a fizzy khaki colored head with surprisingly poor retention.

S: Banana bread overwhelms the nose on the first sniff. Sweet caramel, dark fruits, and candi sugar come through next as do an array of spices. There's (initially) a hint of alcohol on the back end that becomes more pronounced as the beer warms.

T: Sweet bananas, plums, and raisins provide some fruity notes while the caramel and brown sugar provide the base of the sweetness. The downfall of this beer is that there is just far too much alcohol coming through which makes it tough to drink.

M: The body is medium, not quite as full as I had expected, with a surprisingly "mid-range" level of carbonation. Again, more alcohol heat.

D: What a surprising let down. I thoroughly enjoyed Pannepot, so I thought this would be more of the same. You can't win 'em all...

womencantsail, Aug 14, 2011
3.25/5  rDev -22.2%

2008 Vintage

Dirty opaque brown like sewage with a small tan head that holds good retention leaving a spotty lace.

Very fruity spicey aromatics. Some pitted fruit and berry esters with a hint of toffee and wood.

Well I love the normal Pannepot and had high hopes for this version and have been waiting quite some time to try it and needless to say am a bit let down. The aging in barrel hardly comes through, their are some spicey characteristics with hints of chocolate, no wood, and more pitted fruits. Things just seem discombobulated and out of place. Have a couple more I'll age and see what happens.

mcallister, Aug 15, 2011
3.25/5  rDev -22.2%

t0rin0, Sep 19, 2012
3.35/5  rDev -19.9%

Bought this by mistake when trying to stock up on the regular Pannepot, so I guess it's time to review...

Very dark brown pour with about a quarter inch of head that leaves behind a collar of bubbles. Smell is extremely sweet, mostly raisins, apple skin, and caramel. A bit of booze and tartness are apparent.

Taste is not-quite-ripe dark fruits, sweet caramel, apple, the mildest of sour notes, banana bread. On the full side of medium bodied, just fine in that area.

At first I was unsure of this beer, but eventually the sour notes got to me and I really started to not enjoy it. I'll stick to the regular Pannepot.

alcstradamus, Aug 23, 2009
3.35/5  rDev -19.9%

2007 bottle of Pannepot poured into a Duvel tulip glass. Poured a deep amber ruby brown color with a tan head that quickly dissapated. Dances on the tongue type of carbonation, maybe a little too much for my liking, almost champagne like. I pick up the booze taste pretty easily. Fruity type tastes as well. I can appreciate the style but this beer just had too light of a mouthfeel for me.

kbutler1, Feb 04, 2011
3.4/5  rDev -18.7%

Bottle says 2011. Poured into a goblet. This one pours a dark cola color brown with a thin tan head.

Belgian yeast is the first noticeable aroma with hints of spiced plumbs. Dark fruity malts. Plumbs and other dark fruits on the pallet. Faint hints of cocoa linger in the background with spicy yeasty notes in the background.

The body is medium and seems to have very little carbonation. Overall this one is fair enough. Not my favorite variation from the guys.

Bendurgin, Aug 22, 2012
3.4/5  rDev -18.7%

12 oz. pour at Lord Hobo, where it was labeled a "strong ale" on the menu. Served in a Fantôme tulip.

Eggplant purple, nearly black. A quarter-finger dark tan head dissipates quickly, but there's very nice lacing around my glass.

The aroma is interesting, to say the least. The profile of a traditional quad is in full effect: plums, raisins, deep sweet malt and a little bit of booze come through. However, there's also a very strong coffee presence that adds a slight bitterness to the smell.

Far more booze in the taste than the aroma would suggest. Perhaps the "strong ale" designation wasn't so ridiculous after all - in many ways, this reminds me of a scotch ale. There's a lot of caramel sweetness, complimented by dark fruits. A lot of those flavors are lost in the mix, unfortunately, due to the overwhelming taste of alcohol.

Mouthfeel is very nice, silky smooth with an appropriately low level of carbonation.

I'm glad I had someone to help me finish this glass, as drinking 12 oz. was a tad difficult. An interesting take from De Struise, but I really prefer Pannepot.

amphion1065, Sep 10, 2011
3.43/5  rDev -17.9%

2006 vintage. Pours a rich brownish red color with a thin, lingering head. Aroma is virtually non-existent, some very faint malt aromas and slight boozy alcohol nose. Was expecting more from this beer. Taste was very malty and sweet - caramel, and dried fruits dominate. Dried cherry flavors seemed to be most present. Medium-bodied and sticks to your mouth. Overall, fairly easy to drink given the alcohol content.

jhu1995, May 17, 2009
3.5/5  rDev -16.3%

A 2013 bottle picked up at the brewery a week ago, cellared and then briefly fridged. Poured briskly and directly into a tulip, almost inert, only a bit bit of froth and a ring of continued bubbling action around the rim of the liquid, mahogany with some ruby glints. But good legs, no sediment, enticing to look at. Not a big bloom of aroma but still enticing, with clove, cherry, cinnamon, root beer, a bit of basement workshop, meaning sawdust and a tad of funk. Whoa, caramel malt, very brown sugar, a lick of tart cherry or raspberry, a whiff of tobacco, and just a bit of some herbacious hops drying the edges of the tongue. Rich but less complex than, say, it's -pot brother. That drying helps define the mouthfeel, too, by cleaning up a bit of chewiness and oiliness in the body.

ManforallSaisons, Nov 23, 2013

sia478, Feb 21, 2014

ygtbsm94, Nov 15, 2011

Mikeluzzjr, Mar 30, 2014

T_Hass, Aug 10, 2014
3.5/5  rDev -16.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

2011 vintage. Tasted 27 November 2012, reviewed from notes.

Pours a very dark brown. At the thin edges, it's a deep amber brown. Little head, and little lacing, thanks in part to a gentle pour to keep all that sediment in the bottle.

Smell is fruity and deep. Figs, leather, some strong sugary notes. Also has a light alcoholic pinch that tickles my nose. Inviting, though not as complex as my favoritest quads.

Taste is sugary but kinda stingy. Nice, but I'm really only getting one flavor. Sugary, more like plums here, with a touch of astringent herbal flavor. Fades to a smooth bitter in the finish.

Mouthfeel is a bit of a dud. Pretty flat, and it feels like it needs that carbonation to keep the flavors coming.

I've liked other De Struise beers a lot more than I like this one. It's not bad, not in the least, but it's not one I'd go to again, what with all the delicious quads that are readily available. Doesn't give me anything I can't find elsewhere.

zeledonia, Dec 01, 2012
3.5/5  rDev -16.3%

2012 dated 11.2 oz bottle poured into a Trappist Achel glass.
Ap: a straight down the middle pour produces a thin cap of khaki head atop a hazy red tinged brown body. Lots of carbonation bubbles but not much in the way of head retention. After a while it’s just a dull brown liquid. 3.5
Ar: Slightly oxidized brown malts, soft chocolate and a bit of a metallic bite (as it warms this turns into a vinegar like note). Lots of candied date stickiness with some tart prunes, dark grapes and cherries. Perfume like alcohol. 3.75
T: A bit of that metallic bite up front before leading into some very nice chocolate malts with a tart fruit finish and some spices. Weird metallic note that hangs about in the end; almost like wet pennies. 3.4
Mf: Soft, pillowy carbonation that hugs your tongue. Finishes dry and sweet. Oily and slick.
Overall: Really nice notes of chocolate malts and tart fruit with an airy carbonation. It’s a disappointment there was that odd “wet penny” note and slick oily mouthfeel. This taste like it could have been really good.

CowsandBeer, Oct 02, 2014

Sludgeman, Apr 12, 2014
3.5/5  rDev -16.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3

33cl bottle of the 2010 vintage.

A: Two-fingers of rich brown head rise quickly on top of a pitch-black brew. Retention is merely average and rather disappointing, while there is almost no lacing.

S: Hm. More hop aromas (pine/resin) than I expected; in fact, they practically hide the roasted coffee-like malt character. A little bit of banana-y Belgian yeast on the edges. Kind of weak overall. A rather troubling start, but the malt aromas become stronger and richer as the beer warms.

T: Bit of herbal hop flavor right in the beginning that is quickly smothered by a wave of sweet roasted malt that's lacking in depth. Where's the chocolate? Or the coffee? Except for a slight smokiness, you'd almost think there it was just caramel malt in here. This is all to say that the malt brings the sweetness, but little else. It follows that the bitterness is on the low side, which is generally a good thing for quads but this time I was kind of hoping for some hops to come in and salvage things a little. Alcohol is generally well-hidden save for some hotness in the middle. Strong, caramel sweet finish that seems to last forever and is a touch cloying.

M: Spot-on, as is to be expected from Struise beers. Smooth, full-bodied, with a subtle yet adequate carbonation. Still, it can only help the beer so much. Alcohol adds a bit of a warming sensation in the mouth towards the end.

O: My biggest letdown from Struise so far. Big, but one-dimensional, this is a pretty poor excuse for a quad from a brewery that usually excels at the style. Yeast presence is minimal and uncomplicated, while the malt adds little flavor of its own. The hops that are so prevalent in the nose are nowhere to be found in the taste. I'd expect this from some American brewery giving it a try for the first time, but not from these guys. Tomorrow I'll sip on a real Pannepot to cheer me up.

BMoldy, Dec 28, 2011
3.51/5  rDev -16%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

much like some of the other incarnations of this beer, im not as awed by it as other folks for whatever reason. it seems to miss the belgian quad mark, not quite be an old ale, and end up honestly being closer to the stingo styles, with a slight tart or tannic element, but none of those sum this up stylistically, and to me it just doesnt taste all that good. big thick amber malt body, mostly still, with a nose of dried stone fruit, figs, tart cherries, booze, and stale grain sugar. the flavor is similar, and while it almost smells infected, the other reviews here tell me thats how its supposed to be, tartness our of nowhere battles sweetness, and booze is there all the way. to me, its not that well refined, its not that different, and its not that special. maybe i had a bad bottle or something, but ive thought this about reserva and others. will have to revisit it in time, but its lack of carbonation hurt it, as did the long tannic finish. strange brew, but not one i cared for too much this time around.

StonedTrippin, Jun 30, 2014
3.53/5  rDev -15.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

2006 Bottle.

A-Deep brown hue. Khaki head. Good-looking color for a Quad. I can see a bit of sediment as I approach the end of the glass. Head fades away. Not too much lacing.

S-Dark, dried fruits. Rich brown sugar. A hint of alcohol. Extremely sweet. An aromatic, and multidimensional smell.

T-Like the nose. A bunch of different flavors strike the tongue. The overall flavor is somewhat mellow however. Easy to sip. You get all the important dark fruit and sugary tastes.

M-Not too heavy, but the carbonation was lacking here. The lack of carbonation lead me to notice the alcohol a bit more.

O/D-Happy to try it, but not my favorite. More mellow than anticipated. I won't knock the style just because it is not my favorite but I still appreciate the flavor.

VelvetExtract, Aug 15, 2011