1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Black Albert - De Struise Brouwers

Black AlbertBlack Albert

De Struise Brouwers visit their website

Russian Imperial Stout |  13.00% ABV

Originally brewed exclusively for Ebenezer's Pub in Lovell, ME.

(Beer added by: brewandbbq on 08-23-2007)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Black Albert Alström Bros
Ratings: 1,404 | Reviews: 802 | Show All Ratings:
stmartinpale

Maine

On tap at Ebenezers in a commemorative glass

A- Pours a huge coffee colored head that collapses into itself leaving lace everywhere. Black certainly describes the color

S- coffee, chocolate and vanilla
A real treat to the nose

T- The aroma continues into the mouth, with an Huge finish lasting almost
forever. I think I can still taste it this morning.

M- Very soft and complex.

D- I loved it. I want some more now.
Even at 13% abv, alcohol was barely detectable.

08-24-2007 15:04:29 | More by stmartinpale
granite

New Hampshire

Reviewed from notes taken at the 2007 Ebenezer's Belgian beer fest.

First I would like to thank Chris for his generosity in sharing this with me.

I was talking to Urbain from De Struise about wild yeast and the owner of Ebenezer's, Chris hands me a globe of Black Albert on the house.

First off this was the darkest stout i have ever seen. I took my glass out to the sun porch to try and see if any light would penetrate. Well the sun did not stand a chance, I have no idea what the srm was but it had to be 60+. It had a thick, creamy brown head that was long lasting. The aroma consisted of chocolate and roasted malt with a slight touch of port in the back ground. The flavor was very rich and warming. Started off with a fresh roasted coffee taste. Vanilla beans and nobel hops in the middle and finished with an amazing chocolate aftertaste. The alcohol was perfectly balanced with the malt and the bitterness. It was warming but never hot and slightly sweet but not cloying. Urbain said the final gravity was 1.030 so he was able to achieve really good attenuation for a 100% malt bill. No sugar or adjuncts in Black Albert. The mouthfeel was very full and smooth. It is the best stout RIS or BIS I have ever tried hands down.

11-24-2007 16:23:11 | More by granite
WoodyOBeer

I was up in New England for vacation over the Holidays and made a point of going to my favorite “beer bar”…Ebenezer’s…in Lovell, Maine. While there, I had the honor of trying one of the best beers I have ever tasted. For the past 14 years I have sampled over 3000 beers. Because I had developed my own rating system long before I even knew about BeerAdvocate.com or RateBeer.com, I do not post my ratings on either site (it would be like keeping 2 sets of books). But “Black Albert” impressed me so very much that I felt that I had to let everyone know how truly amazing it is! With over 3000 beers tasted & rated, I have only ever tasted 3 to which I would give a perfect score…and this is without question, the best of those 3!

By coincidence, I had just held a Stout tasting event the night before. Among the beers we sampled were some of the best: Bell’s “Expedition”, Bell’s “Double Cream”, Bell’s “Java”, and Moylan’s “Ryan O’Sullivan’s Imperial Stout”. As great as these beers are, “Black Albert” was even better. It is the most complex stout that I have ever tried. The color is black with a light-brown, lacy head (about 1 finger). The initial smell is malty, with notes of coffee & fruits. The taste is smooth & rich (but not too creamy)…there is an initial taste of coffee, which dissipates, and later returns. The taste lingers…and changes…for a long while. While sharing this amazing beer with a few others, I heard the comment “I died and went to heaven”. I could not agree more with this. “Black Albert” was as religious of an experience, as you could ever hope (or pray) to have!

01-10-2008 00:39:08 | More by WoodyOBeer
Cedromar

Sampled on tap at Ebenezer's Pub, thanks again Chris! Aroma is chocolaty, with some vanilla and coffee mixed in. Appearance is a beautiful black with a 1 inch head. Flavor is a wonderful mix of bitter chocolate and coffee with caramel notes to help make it extra smooth. Mouthfeel is amazing as well. I cannot get enough of this brew smooth with small carbonation.
Overall the best RIS I've ever had.
It beats Kate, Darklord and Darkness all in the arse. When it finally is available in bottle I will be buying up every bottle I see.

03-25-2008 00:32:08 | More by Cedromar
coldmeat23

Oklahoma

GLASS: Imperial Pint Glass
TEMP: Cellared @ approx 45 degrees

When poured, slowly, this black liquid still manages to be the bottom third of the glass with a massive tan head filling the other two thirds. Wow. Minimal lacing but great head retention.

Dark fruits and sweet roasted malts. Slight yeastiness mixes with apples and pears. Mild vanilla notes. It actually hints at the smell of a nice top-shelf Rum.

Oh, yeah. That's what I'm talking about, right there. B-A-L-A-N-C-E. Man oh man.
Dark roasted malts mix with sweet candy sugars and a slight hops bite to create ambrosia. Alcohol is very well hidden. Chocolate covered dark fruit flavors. Slight hint of coffee. Toffee and vanilla sweetness. An ever so slight hint of licorice.
All through this, it retains a nice earthy/grainy quality.

Nice and velvet-like in the mouth. Just the way I like it. Very creamy and smooth. Slight touch of oily-ness.

Exceptional! This is one amazing brew. I could drink this everyday from now on out and be completely happy.
Super tasty and super easy to drink. My very first 'perfect' rating for a beer.

10-30-2008 20:08:04 | More by coldmeat23
jp62099

South Carolina

I was fully expecting to be let down by this beer. I mean that is what happens so many times with expensive crazy hyped up beers. This would not be the case.
Black Albert displays many of the classic RIS characteristics but is distinctly Belgian. I have been a sort of skeptical of the RIS style since I had my first one. I keep trying them waiting to be blown away given the hype surrounding them. While this is not a RIS in the strictest since, it has given me a new appreciation for the style and what it can be.
I will not even attempt to describe the smell and taste of this huge and complex masterpiece. I will say that it is silky smooth, and the alcohol is no where in sight. If I had had another I would have been tempted to drink it.
If you come across one of these, do not hesitate, make the purchase. It will sting the wallet a bit, but you will be very glad once you take the first sip. Believe the hype!!

02-25-2009 01:34:11 | More by jp62099
grayburn

South Carolina

Most beers don't live up to the hype, I've gotten used to this. So as I purchased my 10 dollar, 330cl bottle, I was not expecting anything that revolutionized beer to me. It happened anyway. The big kicker on this beer is the thick and creamy mouth, it really brings together all facets of this wonderful brew into an orgasmic package. Dangerously drinkable, the chocolate and belgianesque funkiness really play like best friends here. My words do no justice, believe the hype.

06-09-2009 06:27:48 | More by grayburn
LauraAlberts

South Carolina

Appearance: Complete Black, can't see through - two fingers of tan head retention.

Smell: Molasses, Caramel, Little hint of bittersweet Chocolate, hint of mokah, black raspberry, dark cherry.

Taste: Tobacco, Vanilla bean, Molasses, Caramel, roasted nut

Mouthfeel: my favorite part - creamy - can't even taste the 13.00% alcohol.

Drinkability: Highly Drinkable - not heavy. I highly recommend - it is unbelievable. Quite possibly my favorite beer I've ever had.

06-13-2009 19:49:43 | More by LauraAlberts
greg202stewart

Rhode Island

All hail Black Albert! A dark dark soy sauce color with a thin head. It has a sweet smell with hints of fruit and coffee. The taste of this one is amazing, the best part being the signature De Struise Belgian-style sweetness that I think makes this stout exceptional. The mouth feel is very slippery yet nice and thin and easy to sip on. I have tasted great Belgians and great Imperial Stouts and this seems to be a hybrid of the two making for the most unique and delicious beer I've had to date.

07-27-2009 13:53:31 | More by greg202stewart
beveritt

Presentation: Poured from an 11/2 oz brown bottle into a Duvel chalice. Label is black, with a picture that is a strange mix of paisley and tribal pattern. Back describes the development of this beer and recommends listening to The Brabançonne while drinking. There is notching for lot number, but no clear indication of production date.

Appearance: Pours with just over three fingers of dark brown head. This settles very slowly, essentially just slowly compacting. Eventually it drops to a still substantial coating and a more robust island of foam above the nucleation point. Decent lacing. The beer itself is black and opaque. Some sediment remains in the bottle.

Smell: Chocolate and soy sauce upfront with alcohol sweetness. Hints of cherry and vanilla.

Taste: Buttery chocolate upfront, incredibly smooth. Hints of cherry and strawberry follow. Roasted barley and hop bitterness in the finish, but extremely mellow. Warming alcohol sensation, but otherwise, the 13% is extremely well hidden.

Mouthfeel: Carbonation is amazing; seems to stay in solution, giving this a creamy, milkshake-like mouthfeel. Great, thick body.

Drinkability: I must admit, I went in to this one wondering how much would be hype, but am now a believer. A great beer, in all respects. I wish I could get this in Ohio. Or maybe I don't because I would be on my way to buy several cases right now.

09-06-2009 02:49:53 | More by beveritt
BigMike

I was told by Matt at Capone's that this beer was a little over a year old when i bought it.

Poured into a tulip glass. Pretty black in color. No light coming through. The head is pretty creamy and tight and is a hazelnut color. Lots of viscosity as this thing just clings to the glass for dear life.

Smell is beautiful. Lots of dark roasted chocolate. Tons of espresso. A faint blueberry aroma way in the back and an old world belgian yeastiness.

Lots and lots of roasted malts. i mean an insane amount. this thing is roasted espresso and chocolate. What sets this apart from most imperial stouts is the blueberry undertones and the belgian yeast. I mean this thing is amazing.

13%abv??? Are you kidding me? This drinks like liquid velvet. Smooth rich and creamy. How such a HUGE beer could be so easy to drink just amazes me. This beer is a good time.

Drinkability is incredible. I'm waiting for the abv to hit me because it hasn't yet. Even at the ridiculous price this is worth picking up. I want to try every beer from De Struise.

I can't find any faults with this beer. I really think this may be my first perfect score. I'm going to sit here and enjoy the rest of this beer and decide on what my final score is going to be.

03-13-2010 00:19:15 | More by BigMike
dubinsky

Batch 14 poured into a snifter.

A - Pours pitch black with a two finger mocha, creamy head. Excellent retention that ultimately leaves a very dense lacing.

S - Chocolate, coffee, dark malt, dark stone fruit, cherry coke. This smells wonderful.

T - WOW!!!! This is one of the coolest, best tasting beers i have ever had. There is so much awesomeness going on here. Dark cherries, prunes, chocolate and espresso. Whats unique about this one is that it has a distinctive Belgian yeast flavor to it which is different from the other imperial stouts i have come to love. Almost like a quad. Oh yeah, it reminds me of a flat cherry coke as well, really unique.

M - Ridiculous mouth feel. Very full bodied, yet smooth as silk. It's thick and chewy but something about it, perhaps the gentle carbonation and the fluffy/creamy head make this beer truly amazing. Luxurious.

D - This is definitely drinkable, but i don't want to "drink" it, i want to sip and savor it for as long as possible. For a 13% high abv, it doesn't burn at all. Has a slight warming effect, but again is extremely smooth. Someone else said it well, this beer blurs the line between Quad and Russian Imperial Stout. The cost is a bit prohibitive, but really, who cares with so much awesomeness going on.

11-18-2010 05:20:42 | More by dubinsky
CwrwAmByth

United Kingdom (Wales)

This is an exciting moment for me, as this is the 'Batch 0' I am drinking, which is the first lot ever brewed, and also my first Black Albert or indeed first continental stout!

The pour is just amazing, the beer looks incredibly thick and a lovely white/brown head forms, which lasts about 5 minutes, leaving a thin layer on top.

The smell is utter heaven. Burnt coffee, toffee and some sort of fruit is coming through, maybe burnt nuts as well. This is laced with alcohol and a sweetness.

The taste surpassed the smell, and as I drink I get a very rich taste as well as the burntness which comes through with the smell. Rich fruits come through in the middle, as does a bitterness, which balances out towards the end of the mouthful as you swallow.

The mouthfeel is thick, akin to a milkshake, in fact this could almost be rich, dark, well developed milkshake. This makes it go down easily but also means you are left thirstier than when you started due to the sickliness of it. This is natural though as the crisp bitterness comes through here.

Overall an excellent drink, my all time favourite beer by far (so far, out of about 30 beers. edit: after 325 beers, this is still true) however I could not drink alot of it which is perhaps a bonus due to the price tag! Yes, definitely I will purchase again when I have some money to spare and want something decadent.

02-02-2011 21:50:42 | More by CwrwAmByth
johnnnniee

4.97/5  rDev +17.2%

Had on tap at Ebenezer's, Thanks for the opportunity Chris!

Pours a dark brown/black with a tan head that sticks around for a bit. The aroma is amazing. Chocolates, vanilla, dried fruit, spicy citrusy hops, a bit of alcohol too. Taste is smooth chocolate, followed by some roasted grains, then a lingering coffee and hoppy aftertaste. Does have a bit of an alcohol hotness, but that melds into the whole experience quite well. Very Creamy mouthfeel. Ample carbonation, thick bodied. Excellent brew all around, makes me want to pay eBay prices for some bottles.

06-22-2008 13:45:37 | More by johnnnniee
Damian

Drank from a 330 ml bottle
BA No.14
Lot A; Best before April 2013
Served in a chalice
Acquired in a trade with deepsouth

What was once the number one beer in the world, Black Albert has slowly fallen down the charts over the past year. (As of this review, it was no longer one of the top 100 beers on planet earth.) Let us see what the hype (and the controversy) was all about.

The beer poured a deep, ashy black color with brown tinges when held to the light. An impressive looking (especially for a beer this high in alcohol), dense, creamy, silky smooth, saddle brown head slowly faded to a resilient cap of froth. Small blocks of lacing stuck along the sides of the glass.

The aroma was intense and extraordinarily complex. Dark, sweet, fruity and earthy with indications of must and leather. A distinctly Belgian yeast note was apparent. The yeast gave off a fragrant, almost floral nuance. (Perhaps some jasmine or lavender.) Indications of dark Belgian candi sugar came through strong. Toffee and roasted nuts were also noticeable. Dark rum and brown sugar notes appeared as the liquid warmed. All in all, the aroma was unlike anything I have experienced before in a beer.

The taste was every bit as impressive and as intense as the aroma. Fruity, raisiny, plummy and sweet up fronts with lots of dark malt flavor. The alcohol warmth appeared immediately but it was balanced by a plethora of captivating flavors. Slightly roasty and woody in the center. Dark chocolate, molasses, rum and vanilla notes also came though strong. A milky, lactic-like flavor was detectable as well. Slightly coffee-ish on the back end. This stout was definitely geared more toward "fruity and sweet" than "roasty and bitter" however. The finish was sublime. Yeasty and silky smooth with no hint of the 13% ABV detectable.

The mouthfeel was simply flawless. Super creamy, frothy, slick and silky smooth with a medium-full body. This beer was heavier than a typical Belgian quad but lighter than most Russian imperial stouts. After each sip, the residual sugars in the beer left a sticky coating on my lips.

Drinkability was literally off the charts. I never have (and probably never will) sample a 13% ABV beer that goes down so easily. I did however feel some numbing on my tongue near the drink's end. This beer was simply a joy to consume.

Simply put, Black Albert was one of the finest beers to have ever touched my lips. I am perplexed as to the reason behind this beer's quick descension down the charts. (I did hear however that different batches taste remarkably dissimilar. This may explain some of the discrepancies.) If you have not tried this beer before, I suggest you to do so. If you have tried it and did not experience what I did, I urge you to try it again.

09-17-2009 22:28:00 | More by Damian
unibrew

4.97/5  rDev +17.2%

This is a wonderful brew! I just wish I didn't have to travel 350 miles to get it! It's everything an RIS should be, and more. Not coffee...not chocolate...sort of enigmatic. 13%...yup, it's in there! It's a cornucopia of malty goodness and well hidden alcohol. IF you smell it close up, you will smell the booze, but, it's highly drinkable. If you're at Ebenezer's, don't pass it up. One of the best beers on the menu!

09-02-2010 01:15:41 | More by unibrew
ggaughan

4.95/5  rDev +16.7%

On tap at the Struise farm thanks to Urbain.
The beer poured a deep black, opaque color, no light going through. The head was a deep tan, almost orange color, very thick bubbles. The aroma has strong malty, sweet notes, some dried fruits.

The taste, very nice. I got some very pleasing malty sweet notes up front, complimented by a chocolate and coffe-ish taste but not as heavy as other imperial stouts. There was an excellent balance of the strong coffee tastes with the subtle yet sweet malt. There were also some yeast notes on the back end of the beer, a bit earthy but it melds well with the overall quality of the beer.

The beer started off a bit cold from the tap but as it warmed in my hands the taste and aroma intensify. The high abv comes through more on the backend and compliments the malty sweetness very well. Overall this beer has a nice full body but doesn't weight you down like other imperials I have had.

05-14-2008 20:27:14 | More by ggaughan
joepais

Maine

4.93/5  rDev +16.3%

I finally went to Ebenezer's Pub as soon as I made it to the bar I asked Chris what I should try. I was a little overwhelmed by the tap selection and sure enough he went for the Black Albert. I ended up having two glasses before the day was thru.
Chris brought it to me in a tulip glass it was jet black in color with a finger worth of tan head that dissipated to a small sheet of lace across the glass.

The aromas that I normally associate with a RIS were there in there normal fashion. Along with them was a nice sweet note from the Belgian Yeast I can only guess

The flavors were sublime a bit earthier than I expected but in a good way again followed by your typical RIS flavors. It surprised me again by being a little dryer than expected in the finish. I really could not detect the alcohol heat wise in the flavor or nose maybe this batch is smoother or older

Like I said I did have a second glass before I left "one for the road" so to say. It was a great way to end my time at a wonderful establishment

2-12-10 Revisited in an impromptu stout tasting and have to say that time has not been good to the bottle I held onto. Drink them fresh

10-24-2008 18:59:38 | More by joepais
Rochefort10nh

4.9/5  rDev +15.6%

Sampled on tap at Ebenezer's on Chris' Birthday.

Without question one of the top beers I've ever had.

Drawn with a two finger head, the appearence was black as night.

Smell was dark chocolate, green piney hops, sweet roasted malt and expresso.

Taste was otherworldly. A perfect balance of fresh, green hops and roasted malt. Notes of toffee, chocolate, malted milk balls and vanilla.

Mouthfeel was exceptional. Plenty of viscosity but the 13 percent alcohol remained at bay.

I could easily drink two or three of these in a sitting.

A very unique beer that, to me, comes across as a blend of a fresh hop IPA and an Imperial Stout.

08-25-2007 03:20:19 | More by Rochefort10nh
milwaukeeclassic

Wisconsin

4.9/5  rDev +15.6%

Had this one a while ago, on tap at Erasmus in Brugge in early March 2008. I agree with some earlier reviewers that this is not as heavy as some imperial stouts I've had. I remember that there was tremendous head retention. Coffee notes in the aroma and the taste. Great satin mouthfeel. The alcohol level was not overly (negatively) noticeable. I can't wait until I can get more of this back at home.

06-04-2008 02:46:27 | More by milwaukeeclassic
Habanero58

United Kingdom (England)

4.9/5  rDev +15.6%

And so to the beer that shares its acronym with Beer Advocate!

I was initially a little cynical about this new beer on the block when it arrived sweeping all before it, and doubted I'd ever get to try it for myself unless I made the journey from Kent to Ebenezer's in Maine, but thanks to a well known auction site 6 x 330ml of Black albert arrived on my doorstep earlier this week.

I can understand why many other reviewers have been unable to really nail Black Albert into a definite category as you can't really. It proclaims itself as a Royal Belgian Stout on the bottle and it's appearance would certainly support this with midnight hour blackness and a rusty tanned head.

It's the taste where BA becomes hard to place
It has a complexity that matches Westy 12 (no mean feat) whereby one sip just amplifies in the mouth and cascades into such a myriad of flavours that your brain (well, my brain) just loses the plot and says "this is pure heaven in a glass"
I would agree with those who have mentioned it tipping into quad territory as my main thought afterwards was that was like drinking a botte of Westy 12 that had had an identity crisis and had decided it wanted to be a Russian Imperial Stout. The stout flavour is strongly apparent but with the rich chocolatey fruit cake qualities of a good quad there as well.

Mouthfeel was excellent. Very creamy with just the hint of an exciting fizzz. This beer is a valuable addition to Planet Earth and long may it buzz!! It should end up cementing a place in the top five at the very least.

A final word for the label. A design award surely with regard to matching the external bottle presentation to the quality of the beer within.

06-14-2008 11:38:05 | More by Habanero58
ygtbsm94

4.9/5  rDev +15.6%

I've had the pleasure of tasting this brew during several different occasions from the tap and from the bottle and I must say this is by far one of the best Imperial Stouts brewed; bar none! First, I don't even know if this should be in the same class with other Imperial Stouts; it has its own distinctive style. The appearance of this brew has to be one of the darkest stouts I have ever seen. The head was so thick and velvety brown head that it looked like a shot of espresso...superb! It had a magnificent scent of sweet chocolate, dark roasted coffee beans and molasses along with roasted malt. The taste is just out of this world. Started off with a blitz of dark chocolate, espresso, and roasted malts; followed by light vanilla hoppy presence and fruit flavors with a touch of bitterness. The mouthfeel wasn't too thick along with soft carbonation keeping the brew from tasting too syrupy. The complexity of this brew is such that 13% ABV is totally absent until the glass is almost empty and then you begin to say Wow, this is one hell of a beer! For me this was like drinking a fine Port that I could have sipped all night. I can't say enough about the brews that are being produced at the Struise camp, but I do know that the rating of number one brewer in the world is without doubt; justified! This brew has taken Stouts to a whole new level!!!

09-18-2008 20:54:24 | More by ygtbsm94
frothyhead

4.9/5  rDev +15.6%

Pours deep dark chocolate brown/black with a quickly dissipating one finger tan head. Just a bit of lacing left behind on the glass as I enjoy it.

Nose is interesting with peanut butter and chocolate notes and a bit of sweetness. Roasted malt, coffee, and a tad whiff of tobacco smoke and alcohol. As it warms, a big fruity strawberry and raspberry aroma comes into play. Tantalizing!

Mouthfeel is medium bodied with medium to high carbonation and a silky smooth feel. A little bit of dry residue sticks to your teeth and gums in the linger. Carbonation is prickly and light and takes a bit off the body of this one.

Taste is just like the nose, with peanut butter and chocolate leading the way with a roasty bitter coffee finish. Like the nose, those fruity berry flavors come out as it warms and add some tartness. This is 13% ABV? Seriously? Alcohol is almost completely hidden.

Drinkability is dangerously high. The silky mouthfeel and balanced taste with subtle dry finish and hidden alcohol just makes you keep coming back for more.

Overall, this is an amazing beer. Perfectly balanced and tremendously enjoyable. This is my third offering from De Struise, and stands alongside Pannepot as one of the most well balanced, subtle, complex and flavorful beers I've ever had. Nearly every sip offers something new. Highly recommended!

04-28-2009 03:49:25 | More by frothyhead
Brabander

Netherlands

4.9/5  rDev +15.6%

I had a beertasting yesterday evening with my cousin Bert and his son Michael. After a while Mrs. Brabander joined the tasting. I used small Westvleteren and La Trappe tastinglasses.

I am visiting the Struise Brouwers once a month when i am picking up the Westvleteren. Always fun at Urbains and Carlo's place. Never drank the Black Albert though. During this tasting we tried this one.

The ones who know me know that i am not really a stout lover. This beer however is spectacular and i can say that this is one of the best beers Urbain has ever made.

Poured in the glass this beer is really pitchblack with the best head i have ever seen on a stout. The foam has millions of the smallest bubbles.

Great smell, everything a stout should smell like is in this beer.

Superb taste with something in this taste which i could not point out. But this extra taste made the beer extraordinary.

Plain and simple; this is a super beer!

05-05-2011 09:46:44 | More by Brabander
OWSLEY069

4.9/5  rDev +15.6%

Pours jet black with a brown-ish head. In the aroma, chocolate and alcohol. In the taste, chocolate, dark fruit and a small alcohol burn at the end. A small bite and a medium bodied mouthfeel, with a dry alcohol and hint of coffee in the aftertaste. What a great stout!

09-29-2011 21:46:49 | More by OWSLEY069