Black Albert - De Struise Brouwers

Black AlbertBlack Albert

De Struise Brouwers visit their website

Russian Imperial Stout |  13.00% ABV

Beer added by: brewandbbq on 08-23-2007

Originally brewed exclusively for Ebenezer's Pub in Lovell, ME.
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Black Albert Alström Bros

Reviewed from notes taken at the 2007 Ebenezer's Belgian beer fest.

First I would like to thank Chris for his generosity in sharing this with me.

I was talking to Urbain from De Struise about wild yeast and the owner of Ebenezer's, Chris hands me a globe of Black Albert on the house.

First off this was the darkest stout i have ever seen. I took my glass out to the sun porch to try and see if any light would penetrate. Well the sun did not stand a chance, I have no idea what the srm was but it had to be 60+. It had a thick, creamy brown head that was long lasting. The aroma consisted of chocolate and roasted malt with a slight touch of port in the back ground. The flavor was very rich and warming. Started off with a fresh roasted coffee taste. Vanilla beans and nobel hops in the middle and finished with an amazing chocolate aftertaste. The alcohol was perfectly balanced with the malt and the bitterness. It was warming but never hot and slightly sweet but not cloying. Urbain said the final gravity was 1.030 so he was able to achieve really good attenuation for a 100% malt bill. No sugar or adjuncts in Black Albert. The mouthfeel was very full and smooth. It is the best stout RIS or BIS I have ever tried hands down.

Appearance: Complete Black, can't see through - two fingers of tan head retention.

Smell: Molasses, Caramel, Little hint of bittersweet Chocolate, hint of mokah, black raspberry, dark cherry.

Taste: Tobacco, Vanilla bean, Molasses, Caramel, roasted nut

Mouthfeel: my favorite part - creamy - can't even taste the 13.00% alcohol.

Drinkability: Highly Drinkable - not heavy. I highly recommend - it is unbelievable. Quite possibly my favorite beer I've ever had.

I was up in New England for vacation over the Holidays and made a point of going to my favorite “beer bar”…Ebenezer’s…in Lovell, Maine. While there, I had the honor of trying one of the best beers I have ever tasted. For the past 14 years I have sampled over 3000 beers. Because I had developed my own rating system long before I even knew about BeerAdvocate.com or RateBeer.com, I do not post my ratings on either site (it would be like keeping 2 sets of books). But “Black Albert” impressed me so very much that I felt that I had to let everyone know how truly amazing it is! With over 3000 beers tasted & rated, I have only ever tasted 3 to which I would give a perfect score…and this is without question, the best of those 3!

By coincidence, I had just held a Stout tasting event the night before. Among the beers we sampled were some of the best: Bell’s “Expedition”, Bell’s “Double Cream”, Bell’s “Java”, and Moylan’s “Ryan O’Sullivan’s Imperial Stout”. As great as these beers are, “Black Albert” was even better. It is the most complex stout that I have ever tried. The color is black with a light-brown, lacy head (about 1 finger). The initial smell is malty, with notes of coffee & fruits. The taste is smooth & rich (but not too creamy)…there is an initial taste of coffee, which dissipates, and later returns. The taste lingers…and changes…for a long while. While sharing this amazing beer with a few others, I heard the comment “I died and went to heaven”. I could not agree more with this. “Black Albert” was as religious of an experience, as you could ever hope (or pray) to have!

Batch 14 poured into a snifter.

A - Pours pitch black with a two finger mocha, creamy head. Excellent retention that ultimately leaves a very dense lacing.

S - Chocolate, coffee, dark malt, dark stone fruit, cherry coke. This smells wonderful.

T - WOW!!!! This is one of the coolest, best tasting beers i have ever had. There is so much awesomeness going on here. Dark cherries, prunes, chocolate and espresso. Whats unique about this one is that it has a distinctive Belgian yeast flavor to it which is different from the other imperial stouts i have come to love. Almost like a quad. Oh yeah, it reminds me of a flat cherry coke as well, really unique.

M - Ridiculous mouth feel. Very full bodied, yet smooth as silk. It's thick and chewy but something about it, perhaps the gentle carbonation and the fluffy/creamy head make this beer truly amazing. Luxurious.

D - This is definitely drinkable, but i don't want to "drink" it, i want to sip and savor it for as long as possible. For a 13% high abv, it doesn't burn at all. Has a slight warming effect, but again is extremely smooth. Someone else said it well, this beer blurs the line between Quad and Russian Imperial Stout. The cost is a bit prohibitive, but really, who cares with so much awesomeness going on.

I was told by Matt at Capone's that this beer was a little over a year old when i bought it.

Poured into a tulip glass. Pretty black in color. No light coming through. The head is pretty creamy and tight and is a hazelnut color. Lots of viscosity as this thing just clings to the glass for dear life.

Smell is beautiful. Lots of dark roasted chocolate. Tons of espresso. A faint blueberry aroma way in the back and an old world belgian yeastiness.

Lots and lots of roasted malts. i mean an insane amount. this thing is roasted espresso and chocolate. What sets this apart from most imperial stouts is the blueberry undertones and the belgian yeast. I mean this thing is amazing.

13%abv??? Are you kidding me? This drinks like liquid velvet. Smooth rich and creamy. How such a HUGE beer could be so easy to drink just amazes me. This beer is a good time.

Drinkability is incredible. I'm waiting for the abv to hit me because it hasn't yet. Even at the ridiculous price this is worth picking up. I want to try every beer from De Struise.

I can't find any faults with this beer. I really think this may be my first perfect score. I'm going to sit here and enjoy the rest of this beer and decide on what my final score is going to be.

Black Albert from De Struise Brouwers