1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Black Albert - De Struise Brouwers

Black AlbertBlack Albert

De Struise Brouwers visit their website

Russian Imperial Stout |  13.00% ABV

Originally brewed exclusively for Ebenezer's Pub in Lovell, ME.

(Beer added by: brewandbbq on 08-23-2007)
Ratings: 1,406 | Reviews: 803 | Show All Ratings:
BeerBelcher

3.9/5  rDev -8%

A RIS? Huh, struck more as a Belgian quad than anything else. Obviously, like everyone else, I'd heard a ton about this beer before actually trying it. In fact, I'd even looked for this beer during a trip to Belgium a few months ago, albeit unsuccessfully.

This beer struck me as distinctly quad-like. Color was dark, head was minimal, aroma was faint (which I would blame on it being served far to cold at The Terminal), and flavor started with a touch of roastiness, but to me offered a lot of dried fruit, like raisins and dates, with maybe a touch of cognac flavor. Mouthfeel was pretty good.

I thought this beer was good, but not exactly up to the hype. I really enjoyed it, but I thought it honestly inferior to some more widely distributed Belgian beers such as Rochefort 10 or Achel 8 Brune. I would recommend, but I also wouldn't recommend driving for hours or paying huge quantities of money to obtain it.

I had this on-tap, and served far too cold, at The Terminal, near the airport in Milwaukee.

12-19-2008 18:43:35 | More by BeerBelcher
kmeves

Wisconsin

Pours a molassses brown topped by a thin and dense tan head. Aroma is medium sweet with star anise, roast, some cocoa, cinnamon and light alcohol. Flavor is cocoa, herb, vanilla and alcohol . Medium to full full body, smooth texture. Very dry finish.

12-19-2008 17:22:11 | More by kmeves
davedahl

3.45/5  rDev -18.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Good - but not up to my expectations based on the hype surrounding it. I had a 8oz pour in a sherry glass for $10 at Binny's in Chicago's south loop.

The pour was far too cold but produced a completely black brew with a creamy chocolate-milk type head of tight tiny bubbles. Slight lacing.

Taste was chocolate malt, roasted malt at the front; dark fruit (dark sweet cherries plums) in the middle; and little hop balance and alcohol burn in the finish.

Nose - nothing. Seriously partially because how cold this beer was there was zero aromatics. After I warmed it a bit in my hands I detected rich dark malt and sweet cherries - but you really have to search for them.

Mouthfeel is creamy, smooth, alcohol bite, viscous. The 13% alcohol is hidden well.

So hmm. This was good, but not great. I had this only once previously, about a year ago with BA member bgramer and I recall getting a lot more out of it at that time. I think this is probably better bottled and aged than on tap.

12-15-2008 01:52:42 | More by davedahl
abfraser

4.38/5  rDev +3.3%

On tap at City Beer Store in SF. The announcement was met with quite a few people there. There is certainly a hype around this beer.

A: Black as night. Not much really going on other than that. There was a smallish head but nothing notable.

S: Was super cold when first served, so didn't really get much at first. After 10 minutes or so or wrapping my hands around it the aromas started to come out. They were intense RIS-like. Chocolate, coffee, some spice. I didn't think this smelled too terrible different from the top echelon of American RIS.

T/M: Intensely flavorful. Coffee, dark chocolate, definitely some spice notes on the end. There was a lingering bitterness, which first I thought only hops could create but after getting something with the Abyss too, I'm thinking this comes more from the chocolate/coffee. Mouthfeel is thick and somewhat oily. This is top notch stuff. But I don't find it too terribly different than what's already out there.

D: A sipper for sure. Next time, I plan to spend a bit more time lingering with this one (picked up a couple bottles as well). The lack of availability hurts this score, though.

Overall, top notch Russian Imperial Stout. I don't know if it lives up to the hype (there are really few beers that ever do) but I'd put it on par with the other excellent examples I've had recently, like Surly Darkness and the Abyss.

12-14-2008 02:50:08 | More by abfraser
msubulldog25

Oregon

4.2/5  rDev -0.9%

The long-rumored kegs, all three of them, arrived in Oregon and one happened to land at our neighborhood watering hole, Concordia Ale House (thanks to libertygrails for the timely posting of this news). We arrived early on a Friday evening, my wife and I each taking the $9.50 plunge for a snifterful of this rarity.

A: Impenetrably black; for reference, look to the left and right margins of this page. No real head to speak of - just a wisp of gauzy film and a pencil-thin ring of cinnamon orange. Oily - almost seems to trail 'legs'. Leaves no lace.

S: Ugh, why is this served so cold? C'mon CAH! On a chilly December night, the last thing I wanted to do was wrap my fingers in a death-grip around this frigid glass for 10-15 minutes. Aroma in those first minutes: nothing. After ample warming, the spicy Belgian yeasts and dark fruit overtones start to develop. Dark chocolate, sugared coffee, raisins, anise.

T: Roasted coffee, chewy dried fruit (raisins, prunes, figs, cherries), bittersweet chocolate with a fading hint of lactic tang. The spices grow with warmth: that clove/licorice sparkle that elicited a 'this tastes just like Pannepot!' from my wife (high praise). I found the flavors elusive, changing from chocolate bar, to sweet/tart fruit to iced coffee to a slightly oaken bourbon booze at its warmest. Interesting brew, though not really a 'Russian Imperial Stout' in the truest sense - an RIS/Quad hybrid?!?!?

M: Terrific feel - rich, smooth and enveloping. The coating isn't too clingy, grabbing on to the tongue and relenting slowly. Not too heavy; a seemingly lighter body than some of this style. For such a strong beer, the warmth is mellow and the alcohol well-concealed.

D: Plenty of hype surrounding this beer and, for the most part, it lives up to it. Terrific drinkability as a sipper, a fine take on my favorite style with that added 'Belgian' twist. We changed our dinner plans tonight specifically so that we could try this beer. Worth it? Yep.

12-13-2008 05:21:27 | More by msubulldog25
eyncognito

4.4/5  rDev +3.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Served on tap, into a chalice, at the Malt House in Madison WI.

Black color, best I can tell this is a black hole of a brew-light may enter, but it cannot escape. Beautiful cocoa/tan head, reminds me of malted milk. I should have ordered another beer to wait for this bad boy to warm up.

Aroma is roasty, hints of vanilla, dark fruit. Good but not outstanding. Wonderful taste, roasty chocolate, prune, licorice, some herbal hints in the hops. This is so creamy, so smooth. As drinkable as a 13% beer can be. Fortunately it is cost prohibitive. $11 a glass, worth it, but I won't have this too often.

12-08-2008 00:36:04 | More by eyncognito
joepais

4.93/5  rDev +16.3%

I finally went to Ebenezer's Pub as soon as I made it to the bar I asked Chris what I should try. I was a little overwhelmed by the tap selection and sure enough he went for the Black Albert. I ended up having two glasses before the day was thru.
Chris brought it to me in a tulip glass it was jet black in color with a finger worth of tan head that dissipated to a small sheet of lace across the glass.

The aromas that I normally associate with a RIS were there in there normal fashion. Along with them was a nice sweet note from the Belgian Yeast I can only guess

The flavors were sublime a bit earthier than I expected but in a good way again followed by your typical RIS flavors. It surprised me again by being a little dryer than expected in the finish. I really could not detect the alcohol heat wise in the flavor or nose maybe this batch is smoother or older

Like I said I did have a second glass before I left "one for the road" so to say. It was a great way to end my time at a wonderful establishment

2-12-10 Revisited in an impromptu stout tasting and have to say that time has not been good to the bottle I held onto. Drink them fresh

10-24-2008 18:59:38 | More by joepais
lordofthewiens

4.7/5  rDev +10.8%

After all the hype, I finally got to try this beer. It lived up to its reputation. Served in a tulip, the beer was an impenetrable black with a medium tan head. It had a coffee and chocolate aroma, like most RIS, but to my usually impaired nose, was fairly pronounced. A coffee/espresso and chocolate taste, very well balanced. If not for the high ABV, could drink a lot of these.

10-22-2008 02:27:37 | More by lordofthewiens
baggio

Sweden

4.4/5  rDev +3.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Draughts@Monks Cafe, Stockholm

A: Black as night with a nice creamy head.

S: Fruit, Cream, Chocolate, Roasted malt.

T: Milk chocolate, Ripe fruit, Licorice, Spices, Brown sugar.

M: Supersmooth with a little bite from the alcohol and just enough hops at the end to balance it out.

This is one damn fine belgian-style stout that hides it 13% extremely well. More please!

09-27-2008 10:15:49 | More by baggio
ygtbsm94

4.9/5  rDev +15.6%

I've had the pleasure of tasting this brew during several different occasions from the tap and from the bottle and I must say this is by far one of the best Imperial Stouts brewed; bar none! First, I don't even know if this should be in the same class with other Imperial Stouts; it has its own distinctive style. The appearance of this brew has to be one of the darkest stouts I have ever seen. The head was so thick and velvety brown head that it looked like a shot of espresso...superb! It had a magnificent scent of sweet chocolate, dark roasted coffee beans and molasses along with roasted malt. The taste is just out of this world. Started off with a blitz of dark chocolate, espresso, and roasted malts; followed by light vanilla hoppy presence and fruit flavors with a touch of bitterness. The mouthfeel wasn't too thick along with soft carbonation keeping the brew from tasting too syrupy. The complexity of this brew is such that 13% ABV is totally absent until the glass is almost empty and then you begin to say Wow, this is one hell of a beer! For me this was like drinking a fine Port that I could have sipped all night. I can't say enough about the brews that are being produced at the Struise camp, but I do know that the rating of number one brewer in the world is without doubt; justified! This brew has taken Stouts to a whole new level!!!

09-18-2008 20:54:24 | More by ygtbsm94
HiAIPA

4.3/5  rDev +1.4%

Imbibed a delicious snifter full the day after the epic Paxton dinner at Eb's. Goliath thickness and nice tight head profile. Aromas of stewed prunes, old tobacco, dates, raisins, sweet dark malts eminate. Nice viscosity, foretelling of a huge mouthfeel. The alcohol is hidden well, lots of flavors going on...Belgium notes abound, playing off the aromas. Smooth, without the killer finish of many RIS'. A superbly crafted brew that completes the 12 hour horizontal tasting of Albert, kabert and lord kabert.

09-12-2008 15:35:07 | More by HiAIPA
johnnnniee

4.97/5  rDev +17.2%

Had on tap at Ebenezer's, Thanks for the opportunity Chris!

Pours a dark brown/black with a tan head that sticks around for a bit. The aroma is amazing. Chocolates, vanilla, dried fruit, spicy citrusy hops, a bit of alcohol too. Taste is smooth chocolate, followed by some roasted grains, then a lingering coffee and hoppy aftertaste. Does have a bit of an alcohol hotness, but that melds into the whole experience quite well. Very Creamy mouthfeel. Ample carbonation, thick bodied. Excellent brew all around, makes me want to pay eBay prices for some bottles.

06-22-2008 13:45:37 | More by johnnnniee
milwaukeeclassic

4.9/5  rDev +15.6%

Had this one a while ago, on tap at Erasmus in Brugge in early March 2008. I agree with some earlier reviewers that this is not as heavy as some imperial stouts I've had. I remember that there was tremendous head retention. Coffee notes in the aroma and the taste. Great satin mouthfeel. The alcohol level was not overly (negatively) noticeable. I can't wait until I can get more of this back at home.

06-04-2008 02:46:27 | More by milwaukeeclassic
ggaughan

4.95/5  rDev +16.7%

On tap at the Struise farm thanks to Urbain.
The beer poured a deep black, opaque color, no light going through. The head was a deep tan, almost orange color, very thick bubbles. The aroma has strong malty, sweet notes, some dried fruits.

The taste, very nice. I got some very pleasing malty sweet notes up front, complimented by a chocolate and coffe-ish taste but not as heavy as other imperial stouts. There was an excellent balance of the strong coffee tastes with the subtle yet sweet malt. There were also some yeast notes on the back end of the beer, a bit earthy but it melds well with the overall quality of the beer.

The beer started off a bit cold from the tap but as it warmed in my hands the taste and aroma intensify. The high abv comes through more on the backend and compliments the malty sweetness very well. Overall this beer has a nice full body but doesn't weight you down like other imperials I have had.

05-14-2008 20:27:14 | More by ggaughan
Cedromar

Sampled on tap at Ebenezer's Pub, thanks again Chris! Aroma is chocolaty, with some vanilla and coffee mixed in. Appearance is a beautiful black with a 1 inch head. Flavor is a wonderful mix of bitter chocolate and coffee with caramel notes to help make it extra smooth. Mouthfeel is amazing as well. I cannot get enough of this brew smooth with small carbonation.
Overall the best RIS I've ever had.
It beats Kate, Darklord and Darkness all in the arse. When it finally is available in bottle I will be buying up every bottle I see.

03-25-2008 00:32:08 | More by Cedromar
HopasaurusRex

4.83/5  rDev +13.9%

Sampled on draft at Ebenezer's Pub:

Dark brown, approaching black in color. Opaque. Off-white head of tiny bubbles recedes quickly into darkness.

Nose of Belgian dark chocolate, vanilla, and toasted almonds. Some woodiness and oaklike tannins present. It smells almost bourbony although I know it is not barrel-aged.

The first sip is smooth and chocolatey just as suggested in the aroma. Vanilla, coconut, and roasted barley meld together nicely. Some fusels due to presence of high alcohol. Vinuous legs. Nice notes of oxidation and dried fruit. Dry roasted espresso beans in the finish.

A subtle, complex, and refined Imperial Stout. The only thing Belgian about it is the brewers. No phenols or funkiness.

Cheers to Ebenezer's and De Struise for this fantastic and delicious collaboration! The only complaint I have is that I wish I had a bottle to take home and savor by a crackling fire.

03-17-2008 21:11:41 | More by HopasaurusRex
crowellr

4.8/5  rDev +13.2%

I usually don't like darker beers, however this one definitely broke the mold. Me and a friend were at Eb's looking for different beers to try. Talking to Chris he recommended a few and then had us taste this.

Like I said, I do not like darker beers, as most are coffee flavored, and I'm not a coffee drinker. So my thoughts when trying it were not that great. The taste was perfect, lil bit of chocolate, definitely hops and just a smooth finish.

I wish I could of bought an entire bottle or even a glass, but I only got a small sample. It was however, simply the best overall beer I had ever had. I am young, not as experienced beer drinker as most, but I do live 5 miles from Eb's, so I can safetly say I have had my share of beer.

02-23-2008 01:01:10 | More by crowellr
NoLiberty

4.45/5  rDev +5%

Enjoyed this lovely beer with grassrootsVT at Erasmus in Brugge.

App: Pours into an Erasmus goblet bold and black with a beautiful, full, rich dark head. Consistent and thick lacing. Really wonderful.

Aroma: Smell is actually mild for the strength (13%) with not much alcohol presence. Solid chocolate and nutty characters, with some vanilla and warm rum.

Taste: Chewy and delicious. Chocolate and roasty nuts. Some vanilla and mild rum alcohol characters. Flavor finishes with a touch of burnt bitterness and crisp hoppiness, but full roasted chocolate dominates.

Mouth: Really, really nice. Velvety and smooth, like a warm fleece blanket. Gorgeous. Full carbonation but it's delicate and satiny.

Drink: Yeah, this is incredibly drinkable especially considering the alcohol strength.

02-15-2008 04:42:45 | More by NoLiberty
jscondon

4.88/5  rDev +15.1%

here is the review i am providing for black albert! i have got to tell you that it is true, being a beer advocate pays off. jen told me they were not serving black albert due to its depleted stock, but i got some on the condition that i would rate this beverage on the beer advocate. a wonderful world we live in, eh?

the beer is dark, i am talking shut the car lights off on a moonless back road in the middle of no where dark. the smell is very subtle, i got a lot of chocolate, a hint of hops and a nice malt touch. there was a slight tartness up front without an overpowering presence of alcohol. the middle has some hop flavor and a very slight a hint of cherries, finishing with a good grain flavors. the mouthfeel is one of the best i have had.

DAMN! this is one good beer. I only had a taste and can't wait to get back for a normal sized serving. In fact even thought the tap list is one of the best i have seen, i would get this beer every time i went to ebenezer's (and i definitely plan on going back).

01-30-2008 23:25:16 | More by jscondon
kaos14

4.85/5  rDev +14.4%

Edit: This review ONLY applies to Black Albert had on tap. Out of the bottle it is entirely different and not deserving of the lofty numbers in this review.
---

What can I say that hasn't already been said...

First off this is most definitely NOT a Russian Imperial Stout that someone just decided to call a Belgian stout just cause it is brewed in Belgium. It is clearly a different breed of beer with it's own individual characteristics. The most similar beer that I have had (and I am by no means an authority on the subject) is the Russian River Salvation. They have an extremely similar flavor while each provides a different presentation.

Appearance: midnight black with .75" of dark tan head, a crimson intermingling of the beer and the head shows as the beer sloshes around the glass

Smell: I enjoyed the smell, I found it to be earthy with hints of what I would expect from a belgian strong dark. I have a terrible sense of smell and this is my least reliable rating category.

Taste: Just fantastic. Honesty, I enjoyed the taste too much to sit there breaking down the deferent aspects. It was complex and dark, a little boozy and warming, but WITHOUT the bitter coffee and sugary molasses you would expect in other "Imperial" stouts.

Mouthfeel: Pleasant carbonation with a lovely full stout body that steered clear of being cloyingly thick

Drinkability: Impressive for a beer with that kind of ABV to go down so smoothly. I have had a lot of beers that were astonishingly smooth for their ABV but I think this one is right up there with the very best of them.

All in all I am already looking forward to my next trip to Maine and another taste of this fine beer.

01-11-2008 02:40:43 | More by kaos14
WoodyOBeer

I was up in New England for vacation over the Holidays and made a point of going to my favorite “beer bar”…Ebenezer’s…in Lovell, Maine. While there, I had the honor of trying one of the best beers I have ever tasted. For the past 14 years I have sampled over 3000 beers. Because I had developed my own rating system long before I even knew about BeerAdvocate.com or RateBeer.com, I do not post my ratings on either site (it would be like keeping 2 sets of books). But “Black Albert” impressed me so very much that I felt that I had to let everyone know how truly amazing it is! With over 3000 beers tasted & rated, I have only ever tasted 3 to which I would give a perfect score…and this is without question, the best of those 3!

By coincidence, I had just held a Stout tasting event the night before. Among the beers we sampled were some of the best: Bell’s “Expedition”, Bell’s “Double Cream”, Bell’s “Java”, and Moylan’s “Ryan O’Sullivan’s Imperial Stout”. As great as these beers are, “Black Albert” was even better. It is the most complex stout that I have ever tried. The color is black with a light-brown, lacy head (about 1 finger). The initial smell is malty, with notes of coffee & fruits. The taste is smooth & rich (but not too creamy)…there is an initial taste of coffee, which dissipates, and later returns. The taste lingers…and changes…for a long while. While sharing this amazing beer with a few others, I heard the comment “I died and went to heaven”. I could not agree more with this. “Black Albert” was as religious of an experience, as you could ever hope (or pray) to have!

01-10-2008 00:39:08 | More by WoodyOBeer
granite

New Hampshire

Reviewed from notes taken at the 2007 Ebenezer's Belgian beer fest.

First I would like to thank Chris for his generosity in sharing this with me.

I was talking to Urbain from De Struise about wild yeast and the owner of Ebenezer's, Chris hands me a globe of Black Albert on the house.

First off this was the darkest stout i have ever seen. I took my glass out to the sun porch to try and see if any light would penetrate. Well the sun did not stand a chance, I have no idea what the srm was but it had to be 60+. It had a thick, creamy brown head that was long lasting. The aroma consisted of chocolate and roasted malt with a slight touch of port in the back ground. The flavor was very rich and warming. Started off with a fresh roasted coffee taste. Vanilla beans and nobel hops in the middle and finished with an amazing chocolate aftertaste. The alcohol was perfectly balanced with the malt and the bitterness. It was warming but never hot and slightly sweet but not cloying. Urbain said the final gravity was 1.030 so he was able to achieve really good attenuation for a 100% malt bill. No sugar or adjuncts in Black Albert. The mouthfeel was very full and smooth. It is the best stout RIS or BIS I have ever tried hands down.

11-24-2007 16:23:11 | More by granite
n0rmann

4.63/5  rDev +9.2%

This is simply a wonderful beer. I had no idea until I logged onto this site about the high ABV. The alcohol is well-hidden.

Pours midnight black, with a slight chocolately smell. Tastes very good, with a mixture of coffee, roasted malts and a slight chocolate taste, matching the smell.

It's very creamy, and goes down nice and easy. I wish I didn't have to drive for more than two hours to have another one of these.

09-27-2007 19:56:43 | More by n0rmann
tendermorsel

4.88/5  rDev +15.1%

I was lucky enough to get this off the tap at Ebanezer's Belgian beer fest.

Great jet black color. The head looked like the crema on a good shot of espresso.... a thin layer of brownish foam. It had a wonderful oder of sweet chocolate

There is so much going on with this beer. Roasted malts, coffee and chocolate notes. The finish was superb. Unlike some of the other high powered stouts this one did not stick in your mouth. In fact I had no problem transitioning to a Lou Pepe as my next glass. Truly a hand crafted beer. Very drinkable also as despite it's 13% alcohol content went down real smooth. A sipping beer for sure.

Definitely recommended.... If you can get it. I wish I could get a bottle or two to age or maybe a barrel aged version would be nice. I have a hunch that this gem would be even better with age.

08-28-2007 00:25:14 | More by tendermorsel
Rochefort10nh

4.9/5  rDev +15.6%

Sampled on tap at Ebenezer's on Chris' Birthday.

Without question one of the top beers I've ever had.

Drawn with a two finger head, the appearence was black as night.

Smell was dark chocolate, green piney hops, sweet roasted malt and expresso.

Taste was otherworldly. A perfect balance of fresh, green hops and roasted malt. Notes of toffee, chocolate, malted milk balls and vanilla.

Mouthfeel was exceptional. Plenty of viscosity but the 13 percent alcohol remained at bay.

I could easily drink two or three of these in a sitting.

A very unique beer that, to me, comes across as a blend of a fresh hop IPA and an Imperial Stout.

08-25-2007 03:20:19 | More by Rochefort10nh