Black Albert - De Struise Brouwers

Black AlbertBlack Albert

De Struise Brouwers visit their website

Russian Imperial Stout |  13.00% ABV

Originally brewed exclusively for Ebenezer's Pub in Lovell, ME.

(Beer added by: brewandbbq on 08-23-2007)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Black Albert Alström Bros
coldmeat23

Oklahoma

GLASS: Imperial Pint Glass
TEMP: Cellared @ approx 45 degrees

When poured, slowly, this black liquid still manages to be the bottom third of the glass with a massive tan head filling the other two thirds. Wow. Minimal lacing but great head retention.

Dark fruits and sweet roasted malts. Slight yeastiness mixes with apples and pears. Mild vanilla notes. It actually hints at the smell of a nice top-shelf Rum.

Oh, yeah. That's what I'm talking about, right there. B-A-L-A-N-C-E. Man oh man.
Dark roasted malts mix with sweet candy sugars and a slight hops bite to create ambrosia. Alcohol is very well hidden. Chocolate covered dark fruit flavors. Slight hint of coffee. Toffee and vanilla sweetness. An ever so slight hint of licorice.
All through this, it retains a nice earthy/grainy quality.

Nice and velvet-like in the mouth. Just the way I like it. Very creamy and smooth. Slight touch of oily-ness.

Exceptional! This is one amazing brew. I could drink this everyday from now on out and be completely happy.
Super tasty and super easy to drink. My very first 'perfect' rating for a beer.

10-30-2008 20:08:04 | More by coldmeat23
elricorico

3.95/5  rDev -6.8%

Pours black, big surprise. A big three finger foamy head that is tan in colour. The head seems to well at first, but falls to a thin cap once I start to drink. Little lacing.

Smells of dark malt and yeastiness. Touch of solvent (faint). Black licorice. Even just a little bit of tamarind.

Hits the tongue dry and prickly with carbonation. Flavour is something of a hybrid of a dryer RIS and a Quadruple, though more so the stout. Tries to be sweet up front, but it almost seems that the carbonation is too sharp and mutes the flavour. The middle opens up much more nicely and provides a range of sweetness, from malty to fruity. Faint cola impression at the end. Alcohol barely apparent to taste. Body is lighter than expected.

This one changes in character as I drink, carbonation seems to settle slightly, and this makes the body seem a bit fuller. That makes the flavour seem to reach further across the tongue, and gives a nicer impression of the flavours. Marks start to get higher.

This is a good beer, and quite a unique experience for me. However, this is the most expensive beer I've had if I break it down to $/mL, and I don't think it is quite worth the cost. I could actually buy a six pack of local beers for less than the cost of one 330 mL bottle. Absolutely worth trying once though.

10-25-2008 04:39:55 | More by elricorico
jasonjlewis

4.1/5  rDev -3.3%

Pours a huge head with insane retention and a nice dark brown color.

Candy sugar is predominant on the nose with some black malt underneath. There is a touch of plumb, apple, and a little mint.

Alcohol is covered up pretty well in this one. Candy sugar dominates and is followed by some caramel and chocolate sweetness. The flavors are round about and there is a lot of body in this one, but the taste is very sweet of candy sugar. Pretty decent belgian take on a stout.

Smooth creamy mouthfeel. It's decadent.

This beer has exceptional body and hides it's 13% abv. It is a bit sweet of candy sugar, but it still maintains a good overall profile with great body.

I believe deepsouth provided me with this sample. Thanks.

10-25-2008 02:13:42 | More by jasonjlewis
joepais

4.93/5  rDev +16.3%

I finally went to Ebenezer's Pub as soon as I made it to the bar I asked Chris what I should try. I was a little overwhelmed by the tap selection and sure enough he went for the Black Albert. I ended up having two glasses before the day was thru.
Chris brought it to me in a tulip glass it was jet black in color with a finger worth of tan head that dissipated to a small sheet of lace across the glass.

The aromas that I normally associate with a RIS were there in there normal fashion. Along with them was a nice sweet note from the Belgian Yeast I can only guess

The flavors were sublime a bit earthier than I expected but in a good way again followed by your typical RIS flavors. It surprised me again by being a little dryer than expected in the finish. I really could not detect the alcohol heat wise in the flavor or nose maybe this batch is smoother or older

Like I said I did have a second glass before I left "one for the road" so to say. It was a great way to end my time at a wonderful establishment

2-12-10 Revisited in an impromptu stout tasting and have to say that time has not been good to the bottle I held onto. Drink them fresh

10-24-2008 18:59:38 | More by joepais
Gueuzedude

Arizona

Canadian Import Label, Best By Date April 2013; Sampled October 2008
A solid pour easily produces a four finger thick, creamy consistency, nicely browned, dark tan colored head in my large Tripel Karmeliet tulip glass. Lots of lacing sticks to the sides of my glass as the head, fairly uniformly, slowly recedes. The beer is a dark, opaque, deeply concentrated brown, really near black color that is opaque when held up directly to the light, but showed a clear, dark chocolate brown color as I was pouring it. The aroma has an up front fruitiness to it that smells of prunes and fig. A deeper inspection shows the same fruit, but with the alcohol produces notes of brandy and rum. Towards the middle / end notes of cocoa, lightly roasted nuts and toasted whole grain notes. As my nose gets used to it a faint, funky, musty notes starts to become noticeable; light notes of ripe cheese, decaying wood and a touch of dried, musky sweat contribute, what seems to be recurring, a signature Struis character. The alcohol can be a bit too prominent in the nose at times, making this a bit hot, but it is just about complex enough that I don't really care. I wasn't really expecting much roast character here, and at first I didn't notice a whole lot, but now that I have dug around a bit there is definitely a sharp, a bit acrid, at times substantially toasted, roast / burnt grain note towards the finish.

Soft and creamy at first, then some prickly carbonation sets in and the beer gets a sharpness from the roast malt that also tends to add some thinning effect; never enough to keep this beer from being chewy and a definite sipping brew though. Substantial chocolate notes up front are tempered by darkly roasted, coffee-like notes towards the finish that add both a roast bitterness and some burnt acidity to the finish. This hides its alcohol fairly well in the flavor with just a touch of warming as it runs down my throat. A substantial, rich, concentrated fruit character becomes much more noticeable as my palate gets used to the dark grain notes; flavors of tart / sweet prunes, moist dried figs and some definite brandy-like fruit / alcohol notes. As the beer warms up it picks up more sweetness, which helps to balance the roast malt and alcohol notes a bit more. At times, in the finish, there is a substantial, toasty nutty note that reminds me of chestnuts and perhaps a touch of roasted pepita (pumpkin nut). Towards the end of my glass it starts to pick up a bit of chalky dark malt character.

Definitely a good beer, it is lacking the finesse that I was hoping for though. The complexity is there in the nose, but, while tasty, it doesn't seem to fully follow through in the flavor.

10-23-2008 02:36:25 | More by Gueuzedude
maximum12

4.78/5  rDev +12.7%

Thanks to beerisheaven for this gem in one of our weekly trades. Didn't think I'd get to try this one until it hit the States in regular fashion; glad to get a preview.

This beer has a smell like nothing else. Big chocolate but something else, wildly different, that I can't quite put my finger on. Belgian yeast? Candy? Lawn gnomes?

Taste is similarly divergent from the norm. Deep, dark, elegant roastiness, a bit of tartness (hops?) on the tongue with a cool, sweet finish. Wow. Creamy as a good square of Ghiradelli, no hint of alcohol at all.

This is really good. The only strike might be the drinkability, it's just too thick & full to have more than (if I could get another, or afford one, so never mind...). Excellent beer. Hope it arrives on the shores of the U.S.A. soon, I'd make space for it in the fridge.

10-23-2008 01:22:52 | More by maximum12
NoonanDBarbarian

Alaska

3.33/5  rDev -21.5%

A - pours with a slightly brown to black color with a small 1/4 inch head
S - It give off a strong yeast smell that is all i can get out of it
T - The taste seems to be really lacking something. it is a very smooth drink but has no start and a really sweet finish
M - I fee like I'm drinking a larger but wanted a stout
D - This is a very drinkable beer but just not what i was expecting especially after all of the hype

10-22-2008 23:10:57 | More by NoonanDBarbarian
lordofthewiens

4.7/5  rDev +10.8%

After all the hype, I finally got to try this beer. It lived up to its reputation. Served in a tulip, the beer was an impenetrable black with a medium tan head. It had a coffee and chocolate aroma, like most RIS, but to my usually impaired nose, was fairly pronounced. A coffee/espresso and chocolate taste, very well balanced. If not for the high ABV, could drink a lot of these.

10-22-2008 02:27:37 | More by lordofthewiens
PatronWizard

4.08/5  rDev -3.8%

Came home from taking the kids to the park Saturday afternoon to see a Fed Ex slip on my door. I missed a trade delivery! Called 'em up to find out my local depot would be closed Sunday and Monday. Fucking bastards! This is a small town, don't let me see that bitch on the road! Takin' MY beers to "age" for a couple days in a friggin warehouse. I'm gonna... OK sorry, got carried away. Here's what I'm gonna do: relax with something good that I've been holding on to. After little deliberation, I choose: Black Albert. This should calm the fires within. Or else someone may have to bail me out for B&E at FedEx (with disrespectful vandalism).

Black Albert is black. Spongy beige head of considerable height. Head is very impressive for the ABV.

Great yet subtle cocoa chocolate fragrance. Can't smell the alcohol at all. Time to dive in.

This is one well crafted brewski. Taste of chocolate. I can't taste the alcohol. And believe me, I know what it taste like. There is a background flavor of some dark fruit. Something I associate with a dark quad - but again it's just a small part.

Mouthfeel is wonderful. This is truly good shit. I know it's a stout, but I want to think of it as a cross between a quad and a stout. Mostly becuase of the flavor. Yeah, it's a quout. OK, that was really bad. Hope they use that as an official style.

Overall: awesome

10-21-2008 00:46:51 | More by PatronWizard
slowhead

4.35/5  rDev +2.6%

I picked up a few of these at De Bierkoning in Amsterdam.

A-Black as night; opaque with an off-white collar of foam. Nice head retention.

S-Initial aroma of dark, dried figs with a tinge of alcohol. No roast in the nose and no hops.

T-Starts sweet with a slight roast character. Fruit flavors of green apple, pear, raisins, and plum. Some earthy and coffee-like flavors in the background. The lack of roast, which is predictable in the RIS style leads me to believe that they are probably using a de-husked black malt such as carafa, or possibly even Sinimar. No hop flavor, but tons of bitterness. Finishes dry.

M-High carbonation. Medium bodied, with some alcohol warming.

D-Very drinkable for the gravity on this one. This beer is different. One cannot jump into this one thinking of it as an RIS...it's definitely not.

10-20-2008 23:36:49 | More by slowhead
SaucyA

3.03/5  rDev -28.5%

"Royal Stout" on the side.

A - Into a Trois Pistoles goblet. I figured it'd be appropriate. It pours quite dark brown with a topping of light brown foam. 2 fingers, to be exact, that's not receding at all. Beautiful lacing. Couldn't be better. Belgian stout allll the way.

S - The first thing that jumps out is Amber Kasturi incense. Call me crazy, that's what I smell. Hints of quadruple, chocolatey malts, plastic, paint marker, alcohol, dark fruits. All of this is pretty well muted tho, and this is served at cellar temp.

T - Quite a let down. I'm sure there's a few excuses... "That's not how it's supposed to taste," or "That batch was off." Then why was it released? It tastes like someone accidently poured a BSDA into a RIS, shook it up, added water, some rubbing alcohol, and then tried bottle conditioning it. It's just off. I don't care what they were trying to do, it's just wrong on so many levels. I'll try another from the new batch to be sure, but this is NOT good... not even for trying to develop a "new" new style.

M - Creamy, a little too carbonated, a little too thin.

D - I'm gonna fight this one.

Notes: I pooped on this... but I don't feel bad. It's not good, and it fights to be even mediocre. This is a true case of a beer being completely overhyped by a few, and running amok all over the trade scene. I'm sure some people like it, hell, it's obvious they do. I just don't see it.

I wish this was good. I really, really do.

10-16-2008 23:31:28 | More by SaucyA
IronDjinn

4.55/5  rDev +7.3%

No. 14 it says on the side of the label. Candy is an ingredient as listed on the label. Pours a deep pitch black in appearance, impermeable to light with a tight creamy beige head.

Different layers and waves on the nose, but it smells more reminiscent of a strong dark Belgian than an Imperial Stout. Robust dark dried fruits like figs and dates, roasted malt, coffee, cocoa, treacle, grapes, chicory, and orange gum drops.

Intense dry bitter malt and alcohol sucker punches you in the palate right from the start, although smooths out from there. Cocoa, chicory and creamy cafe au lait in the middle, dates and raisins, brandy-soaked cherries, a hint of grape, and indiscernable sweetness. Creamy chocolate, fig and hints of licorice in the finish. Dry dusty coffee ground aftertaste.

My lips and teeth are sticky from a sugary sweetness, that must be the candy. Light creamy and silky smooth mouthfeel, hard to believe such a high abv% and flavour profile can be delivered by such a light mouthfeel.

Impressive for what it is, except for the hefty price tag that is. Worth the hype but I'll save this for special occassions.

10-16-2008 02:25:57 | More by IronDjinn
Proteus93

4.35/5  rDev +2.6%

One review off being #93! That reviewer is from Alberta, though, so all is forgiven :p ... shared by dkachur in return for Pisgah Valdez. A nice pairing, they were.

A: Black as night. A huge, creamy light khaki that sticks around for ages. Beautiful.

S: Soft toffee, Belgian yeast esters are there giving their unique aroma and a soft hint of dark fruits. A little bit of a smokiness and a light breadiness.

T: A bit of tartness, with a nice gentle sweetness like ripe plum. Yeastiness, and a hint of spicy alcohol in there. Chocolate hints, and a caramel.

M + D: Nice and creamy, though not as full a body as some I have had. A great drinker, hiding that huge alcohol incredibly well. Nice stuff, and I'd like to have it again.

10-11-2008 03:52:32 | More by Proteus93
CreamAle128

3.85/5  rDev -9.2%

Appearance is amazing! Completely black. Enough said.

There is not too much aroma here, compared to the Old Rasputin, but it has many subtle roasted malts along with dark fruits, and very light citrus. The longer it sits, the more aroma comes forth

I can't taste any alcohol, despite the 13%, many nice roasted malt flavours, more dark fruits, some molassas, chocolate notes, and some very mild hop bitterness towards the end

Mouthfeel is prickly , and totally creamy when swished around in the mouth

Very drinkable for the style!

This is my first belgian imperial stout. I never knew of this style before, but tastes very similar to any other high quality imperial

10-10-2008 05:54:59 | More by CreamAle128
peabody

Kentucky

4.28/5  rDev +0.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours out a really really dark black with two fingers of tan suds. No light will penetrate this motor oil.
Smell is dark chocolate and charred malts with some sugar like caramel. As it warms it has more of a bitter aroma like oak or something.
Taste is sour at first like an oaky flavor along with a very mild malt and some bitter coffee. The belgian yeast comes in just after and leaves the tounge dry and ready for another bitter drink.
Mouthfeel is a little dirty but still leaves an alcohol feel that is mellow. The tounge feels the bubbles and the sour at the same time. Nice!
Drinkability is high here too despite the high ABV. REally a great RIS.

10-04-2008 00:47:53 | More by peabody
francisweizen

Alaska

4.85/5  rDev +14.4%

P: 4.5 - 12oz brown glass bottle. Black Albert. Royal Belgian Stout. Gold Crown. Imported by Horizon Wines of Canada.

A: Dark cola black/brown with big starbucks frap foam head. Good legs, lace, and sheets.

S: Vinous, and big with chocolate, coffee, roasted malts, dark fruits, and more.

T: Big and bolshy with big dark fruit, roasted malts, chocolate, coffee, and more.

M: Mouthfeel is a bit thin for a beer of this level, but honestly it makes the drinkability that much better.

D: SUPER drinkable for the 13%ABV that this one yields....A real achievement in the brewing arts.

O: I'm thinking 4.7 material here. Big bolshy Belgian Imperial Stout....NIIICCCCEEEE

10-01-2008 07:56:01 | More by francisweizen
pwoods

4.68/5  rDev +10.4%

Thanks to Mikesgroove for the brew :)

33cl brown bottle poured into a snifter.

A: Pours just about solid motor oil black but just a glimpse of light gets through on the edge of the snifter. A large 2+ finger light khaki head forms and goes nowhere for quite some time. Very nice lacing.

S: Some Belgian yeasty notes as well as a complex alcohol aroma. Tons of juicy alcohol soaked dark fruits. Alochol has a touch of that aged feeling like in Old Ales. Light notes of hop oils and molasses.

T/M: Wow, very complex. Very very rich. Molasses and other very dark sugars add a rich sweetness(not overly sweet at all... just very rich). Some bittersweet Euro/Russian super dark chocolate. The alcohol is big and complex, some of the malt bill as well as dark and fiberous fruits. The alcohol matches the nose on the Old Ale qualities and actually emphasizes on them. Lightly spicy Belgian yeast along with subtle notes of candi sugar(maybe.... some lighter, 'brighter' sweetness is barely noticeable) and a soft Belgian carbonation to liven things up just a touch. Not heavily carbonation at all but a great smooth, 'million tiny bubbles' thing going on. Carbonation actually feels on the weaker side but I don't think that's the case... just a constant softer carbonation... if that makes sense. Sooo damn smooth... feels like silk in your mouth. Finishes just a touch dry from the alcohol.

D: Definitely a sipper. An amazing brew. I actually came into this with a little prejudice against this beer. After everything that happened after the last release on this site and the other one and how the brewers handled everything. I was sure it'd be good but certainly overhyped. Really not the case. It's a fantastic brew and brings a very welcomed 'Belgian Imperial Stout'(or Belgian Royal Stout or w/e) style into more prominence. Make more and have Shelton make it more widely available.

09-30-2008 03:21:46 | More by pwoods
BrewMonkey

4.15/5  rDev -2.1%

Thanks to rayjay for the bottle!

Pours dark chocolate brown to nearly black with oodles and oodles of bubbles forming a dense thick rich looking tan head that recedes slowly leaving not so much lacing, as a continuou layer of bubbles on the side of the glass.

Aroma starts with a strong but pleasant alcohol aroma, toasted malt, bitter chocolate, and hints of sweetness behind the alcohol.

Aroma is very roasty, almost smoky. No, definately smoky. Bitter chocolate follows, with lots of nutty character, walnuts and almonds come to mind. Suprisingly unsweet to be honest, though there is enough sweetness to counteract the rest of the flavor profile. Alcohol is certainly present, but not overbearing. More nutty a leathery characters come out as it warms.

Mouthfeel is slick and rich, with decent carbonation keeping it from cloying. Alcohol is fairly warming.

Obviously this is a sipping beer, and a big one at that. But the flavor is very pleasant, and seems like it would be fantastic paired with a rich dessert.

09-30-2008 00:33:52 | More by BrewMonkey
baggio

Sweden

4.4/5  rDev +3.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Draughts@Monks Cafe, Stockholm

A: Black as night with a nice creamy head.

S: Fruit, Cream, Chocolate, Roasted malt.

T: Milk chocolate, Ripe fruit, Licorice, Spices, Brown sugar.

M: Supersmooth with a little bite from the alcohol and just enough hops at the end to balance it out.

This is one damn fine belgian-style stout that hides it 13% extremely well. More please!

09-27-2008 10:15:49 | More by baggio
ygtbsm94

4.9/5  rDev +15.6%

I've had the pleasure of tasting this brew during several different occasions from the tap and from the bottle and I must say this is by far one of the best Imperial Stouts brewed; bar none! First, I don't even know if this should be in the same class with other Imperial Stouts; it has its own distinctive style. The appearance of this brew has to be one of the darkest stouts I have ever seen. The head was so thick and velvety brown head that it looked like a shot of espresso...superb! It had a magnificent scent of sweet chocolate, dark roasted coffee beans and molasses along with roasted malt. The taste is just out of this world. Started off with a blitz of dark chocolate, espresso, and roasted malts; followed by light vanilla hoppy presence and fruit flavors with a touch of bitterness. The mouthfeel wasn't too thick along with soft carbonation keeping the brew from tasting too syrupy. The complexity of this brew is such that 13% ABV is totally absent until the glass is almost empty and then you begin to say Wow, this is one hell of a beer! For me this was like drinking a fine Port that I could have sipped all night. I can't say enough about the brews that are being produced at the Struise camp, but I do know that the rating of number one brewer in the world is without doubt; justified! This brew has taken Stouts to a whole new level!!!

09-18-2008 20:54:24 | More by ygtbsm94
iconoklaztor

Indiana

4.55/5  rDev +7.3%

Thanks to a very generous BA for this brew!

Pours a very dark sludge with a head that quickly went away. It looks very ominous and sludgey. I cant wait to taste this brew!

Its very sweet in the nose with a syrupy note with hints of booze. I have a feeling it will be a little hot at 13%. Lets find out!

Wow, the taste is creamy. It's VERY enjoyable and surprisingly not boozy. Very nice on the tongue. This is a beautiful beer! It has a slight raisin taste and is still very sweet! I wish I had more of this.

Overall, this is beautiful! Its sweet, complex, and very drinkable!!! WOW WOW WOW!!!

09-17-2008 00:23:40 | More by iconoklaztor
aqsprint

3.4/5  rDev -19.8%

A- Very dark brown/amber. 3 fingers of foam. Great lacing all the way through.

S- Roast, chocolate, and that Belgian aroma.

T- A little fruity, chocolate, figs. Alcohol burn down the throat. Disappointing considering its the 31 spot in the top 100. Over all I think its over rated.

M- A little thin, but not bad.

D- Drinkable beer, but I will not be having another any time soon.

09-15-2008 10:48:28 | More by aqsprint
TKempe

Netherlands

3.75/5  rDev -11.6%

Very dark in colour, almost black. A thick, brown head leaves plenty of lace.

Aroma is of roasted malt, sugar, dark fruits and hops, and gives off whiffs of coffee, chocolate, molasses and liquorice.

The taste starts off sweet and sticky, is followed by a slippery, both sour and salty phase, and ends with a dry and bitter taste (as if you are drinking espresso with a touch of hops). The after-taste is intensely bitter and very convincing. The blast of alcohol that follows could have been a little less though (or: learn to drink this beer patiently).

Body is full and supple with a sticky mouthfeel. Carbonation can't keep me from saying that this beer is actually too syrupy.

Black Albert finds itself somewhere in-between a quadrupel (like Pannepot) and a stout. Its malt-profile pleases me a lot, but its high content of sugar does not. And when the beer has warmed up, the two styles seem to fall out of their initial unity. A very impressive (and bold) piece of work nonetheless.

09-14-2008 19:37:11 | More by TKempe
SPLITGRIN

Kentucky

4.58/5  rDev +8%

As I prepare to drink this beer the phrase "The one that would be King" comes to mind.

Even a mild pour gets a monsterous three fingers of rocky carmel colored head. Body is like living black symbiote, evil and soulless. Nose is actually on the softer side with some black anise, burnt molases and zesty carmalized malt, very unique even for a stout. Layers of dark cherries, molases, bitter chocolate, black licorice and burnt malt really paint the mouth. Some dark soured fruit comes through on the back of the palate. This is a very deeply complex beer. Mouthfeel is amazingly smooth and creamy and the more you drink the more you love and get out of it. I could drink this beer all night but at some point I would be thankful it is only 330ml. Delecious. I know that many of the hardcore beer geeks will be disapointed that it is getting more distributed. I hope that doesnt affect it scores but I know it probably will.

09-12-2008 21:35:28 | More by SPLITGRIN
HiAIPA

4.3/5  rDev +1.4%

Imbibed a delicious snifter full the day after the epic Paxton dinner at Eb's. Goliath thickness and nice tight head profile. Aromas of stewed prunes, old tobacco, dates, raisins, sweet dark malts eminate. Nice viscosity, foretelling of a huge mouthfeel. The alcohol is hidden well, lots of flavors going on...Belgium notes abound, playing off the aromas. Smooth, without the killer finish of many RIS'. A superbly crafted brew that completes the 12 hour horizontal tasting of Albert, kabert and lord kabert.

09-12-2008 15:35:07 | More by HiAIPA