Black Albert | De Struise Brouwers

Black AlbertBlack Albert

De Struise Brouwers
Belgium | website

Style: Russian Imperial Stout

Originally brewed exclusively for Ebenezer's Pub in Lovell, ME.

Added by brewandbbq on 08-23-2007

Reviews: 848 | Ratings: 1,728
4.68/5  rDev +10.4%

330ml bottle poured in a chalice

A: Pours a beautiful deep dark color. Opaque. The head is very small, bubbled and beige. practically no lacings left

S: Roasted malts, dark chocolate, coffee. A bit fruity. Belgian yeasts

T: Strong on roasted malts, dark chocolate, coffee. Belgian yeasts. Quite bitter

M: Heavy body. Low carbonation. High ABV. Roasted bitter end

O: Simply excellent

4.68/5  rDev +10.4%

Thanks to drseamus for the opportunity.

A: Just short of black. Quite a bit of brown on the edges of the glass. One half finger of mocha head.

S: Molasses sweetness. Brandy. Not the burn but the pleasant smell.

T: Sweetness caramel, smoke, roasted grain, coffee, chocolate and a slight hint of fruit. Incredibly complex.

M: Lighter body than you would think. My only real complaint about this beer. Would have liked the body a tad bit thicker.

D:Damn. This is up there with choklat in terms of dumb amounts of drinkability. No hint of the 13% at all. This really is a great beer that in most ways lived up to the hype. Other members of the group compared this to Dark Lord. haven't had the pleasure yet but that is good company. Would definitely have again if it didn't involve selling organs.

4.67/5  rDev +10.1%

After all the hype, I finally got to try this beer. It lived up to its reputation. Served in a tulip, the beer was an impenetrable black with a medium tan head. It had a coffee and chocolate aroma, like most RIS, but to my usually impaired nose, was fairly pronounced. A coffee/espresso and chocolate taste, very well balanced. If not for the high ABV, could drink a lot of these.

4.67/5  rDev +10.1%

Wow, what a piece of work. This is a delicious beer, and proof that brewing is art. It's not the best beer I've had, certainly in that ballpark though, but I am just amazed that this beer even exists, because it seems to contradict style while transcending it altogether. At a glance, this is just a real handsome stout. Robust blackness and a healthy brown head of foam. But the norms end there... The aromas coming from this beer are pretty out of this world, roasty, ripe, delicious. And something reminiscent of a can of paint. Some common stouty flavors of licorice, dark roasted chocolate malt, and coffee, combine with a ripe tangy pungency of the Belgian yeast. It sounds like almost too many flavors, too complex, but it all blends together in quite a sophisticated way. It is amazing how light on the palate this beer is considering the intense flavor achieved. If I did not know it to be true, you would have a damned hard time convincing me that this beer is even close to 13% ABV. Every sip I am saying in my head, "how did they do that?" ... An enigma of a beer. Belgian Royal Stout indeed.

4.67/5  rDev +10.1%

A: Deeply black with two finger brown head. Fades after a bit and leaves decent lacing

S: Nicely phenolic like a nice belgian quad, but with much more espresso and dark choclate. Some figginess and a nice fruitty sweetness as well with some candy sugar

T/M: Mouthfeel is medium, perhaps would have liked it heavier. More carbonated than an average stout, but I suppsoe that's the "Belgian" part of the Royal Stout description. Amazingly clean for a 13% abv beer. I get some anise up front, which fades to a figgy coffee flavor, and then a crisp hop bite, then I get even more figs and a grape and rasiin taste. Going on over all of this is a white pepper spice and a malty sweetness. It's not unitl you've sat there for a good four or five seconds after the finish that alcohol becomes apparent.

D: Pretty damn good considering the alochol.

Ovr: In a year that has brought me Dark Lord, Darkness, Abyss, and now Black Albert, I'd have to say this is right up there. Much more drinkable than the heavier stouts, but as complex. If you forced me, I'd go Dark Lord, Darkness, Black Albert, Abyss

4.67/5  rDev +10.1%

330mL Batch 0 poured into a Duvel tulip. Dark, obviously, and a big tan head forms almost like a nitro pour. Just a beautiful beer.

Smells of roasted malts, metallic chocolate and a hint of coffee. Probably one of the best smelling imperial stouts I have had. Nothing stands out as being too sharp.

Taste is bitter and viscous, with a hint of tartness and coffee like flavors. Beautifully carbonated, particularly for a beer of this ABV, the finish has a bit more of the roasted malt acidity. This is an outstanding beer, one that I wish was more readily available in these parts.

4.67/5  rDev +10.1%

33cl bottle into a Duvel tulip. I purchased it at Julio's over a year ago, so it's no younger than early 2010, probably an 09.

A: Having heard stories of infected bottles providing copious amounts of foam, I begin by pouring slowly down the side of the tulip. No problems at all, and once I straighten things out I'm left with a perfect inch of creamy brown head atop a deep black body. Lovely retention and lacing, especially for such a big beer. The only downside is a rather large amount of sediment, but that's probably my fault for not paying too much attention to the tail end of the pour. Gorgeous beer.

S: Oh, my. What an aroma. Bittersweet chocolate jumps out, followed closely by rich dark fruit - prune, raisin, cherry. More chocolate maltiness fills in after the initial wave of fruit, along with some licorice and herbal, citrusy hops. I can't believe the sheer amount of complexity, and yet everything works together perfectly. This, so far, has all been from my first few deep inhalations. As I let the beer warm, even more olfactory beauty wafts my way: the chocolate gets sweeter and picks up nuances of smoke and nuts, the fruity edge softens into some candy-like sweetness, and at no point does the substantial alcohol show through. Wow. Hands down one of the best aromas I've smelled this year.

T: Roasted malts are the first thing I taste, with slight coffee joining the dominant chocolate from the nose. The dark fruits come on strong, lending a hint of tartness midway through, and huge hops bitterness joins with some big (but manageable) booze on the finish. Tastes more Belgiany than it smelled, with the candi sweetness and slightly tart fruitiness giving it a distinctly quad-like feel. Saying it tastes like a quad is too simplistic, though, as it only does so at times: initially it tastes like an RIS, then a quad, and finally almost a black IPA with the huge bitterness. It's awesome, but the disparate flavors don't meld quite as seamlessly as they did on the nose.

M: Silky full body with a goodly dose of soft carbonation. Decadent, and perfect for what it is.

O: I've been sitting on this one for a long time, never able to get up the nerve to crack this small pricy bottle. I'll be heading to Europe in just a few days, though, with a possible trip to Struise, so I wanted to try their flagship stout before making up my mind about an itinerary. All I can say is, this beer blew me away by being exactly what I hoped it would be: hugely complex, distinctly Belgian, and decadently delicious. Now I just need to track down all the Black Damnation variants!

Cheers!

look: 4 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Poured bottle with batch B6BB into Lost Abbey Teku

A-Pours an all black body with a thick creamy brown head.

S-Aroma of dark berries, cocoa, roast, raisins and spices.

T-Taste is fruity yet dry roasted, dark chocolate, raisins, and a sense of vanilla towards the finish. Lovely mocca and cocoa aftertaste.

M-Mouthfeel is well rich body, great balance here. Good carbonation

O-Overall it was well worth the money I paid for this a special 4 of July treat.

4.66/5  rDev +9.9%

Very excited to try my first Struise. Thanks to aasher for the hookup! A big thick stout just seemed to fit the bill for sitting in the driveway on this humid 89 degree Indiana evening.

Pours a very viscous, dark impenetrable black with a nice fluffy 3 finger mocha color head. Drinking out of "old faithful" my New Belgium snifter. Head dissipates very slowly. Can't wait to take my first sip as I watch the large bubbles pop in this
sea of chocolate lava.

I shoo away the small spider that trying to climb up my glass as I get ready for my first taste.... sorry buddy, this stuff's a tad
too pricey to share. First taste is of rich chocolate with a bit of a sour cherry twang. Tastes a tad bit like a cold chocolate covered cherry... creamy and velvety.

The little spider goes for it again and is equalized. Okay, now the cherry twang is coming through a tad stronger. Don't get me wrong, this is a very good thing. I'm now entering the second half of this what is so far a great experience. Crap, interrupted by the neighbor... listen to long, drawn out story. On the bright side, gives beer a chance to warm a bit. There's still a bit of mocha head floating around like some chocolatey pond funk and the lacing is really solid. By the way, no detectable alchol taste in this 13% velvety drink at all.

As I enter the final 3rd of the journey, the alcohol is starting to kick a bit I'm considering simply inhaling this beer. Need to check and see if this beer is barrel aged as I'm detecting slight notes of bourbon. Reminds me a tad of the barrel aged total eclipse I had from Foothills a while back.

In the final sips, the chocolate is getting darker and more intense and a hint of earthy bitterness is creeping in but I would not consider this to be a hoppy stout by any stretch.
Overall, I have to say this is a very solid and well balanced beer. Not sure I should have made it my first of the night though in
terms of the 13% ABV and the fact that it's going to be hard for anything else I open tonight to live up to this.

11.2oz bottle poured into a snifter
Lot: B 6 BB; not sure what year this is from

A: Pours a thick viscous, very dark brown, with just under 1 fingers width of espresso colored head that dissipates down almost immediately. There is all kinds of sedimentation floating around in the glass. Leaves affectively no lacing.

S: Lots of dark fruit, sour plums and raisin in particular. Roasted, chocolate and coffee aromas. A subtle smoky scent, and a noticeable alcohol character as well. Wonderful aromas, and they are strong!

T: There is a flavor explosion from the first sip. Dark fruits, roasted malt, some hop bitterness, all followed by a big backers chocolate character on the backend. Some specific flavors that are noted throughout the drink are cherry, dark chocolate, raisin, some funky Belgium yeast, roasted coffee, an earthy/grassy character and alcohol to balance it all out. A complex and delicious beer. The amount of different flavors that this brew contains, all harmoniously mixed, is plain impressive.

M/D: Chewy mouth feel. It has a noticeable alcohol burn. The fact that it comes off a little hot is probably the only real negative with this beer, but I guess it’s to be expected with a 13% ABV. This does keep it from being particularly smooth, but at least the alcohol doesn’t distract much from the wonderful flavor profile. Medium to full bodied, with a low level of carbonation.

O: Overall, quite a damn good brew. Right up there, and maybe even passing up Beer Geek Brunch Weasel as my all time favorite RIS. Awesome aroma, and a complex and delicious flavor profile. The one drawback is the price, running $10.50 for an 11.2oz bottle. That, combined with its limited availability will make it something I don’t drink often, but when I do I’ll be sure to enjoy it. A must try.

look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Look - Pours black like motor oil. Mocha colored head that fades to nothing. No lacing to speak of.
Smell - Roasted coffee, molasses, toffee, roasted grains.
Taste - Coffee, sweet toffee, cinnamon, slight hint of licorice and cinnamon.
Feel - Creamy like a latte, almost no carbonation to speak of.
Overall - An amazing Russian Imperial Stout. I hope I come across this again.

4.65/5  rDev +9.7%

Thanks to Mikesgroove for the brew :)

33cl brown bottle poured into a snifter.

A: Pours just about solid motor oil black but just a glimpse of light gets through on the edge of the snifter. A large 2+ finger light khaki head forms and goes nowhere for quite some time. Very nice lacing.

S: Some Belgian yeasty notes as well as a complex alcohol aroma. Tons of juicy alcohol soaked dark fruits. Alochol has a touch of that aged feeling like in Old Ales. Light notes of hop oils and molasses.

T/M: Wow, very complex. Very very rich. Molasses and other very dark sugars add a rich sweetness(not overly sweet at all... just very rich). Some bittersweet Euro/Russian super dark chocolate. The alcohol is big and complex, some of the malt bill as well as dark and fiberous fruits. The alcohol matches the nose on the Old Ale qualities and actually emphasizes on them. Lightly spicy Belgian yeast along with subtle notes of candi sugar(maybe.... some lighter, 'brighter' sweetness is barely noticeable) and a soft Belgian carbonation to liven things up just a touch. Not heavily carbonation at all but a great smooth, 'million tiny bubbles' thing going on. Carbonation actually feels on the weaker side but I don't think that's the case... just a constant softer carbonation... if that makes sense. Sooo damn smooth... feels like silk in your mouth. Finishes just a touch dry from the alcohol.

D: Definitely a sipper. An amazing brew. I actually came into this with a little prejudice against this beer. After everything that happened after the last release on this site and the other one and how the brewers handled everything. I was sure it'd be good but certainly overhyped. Really not the case. It's a fantastic brew and brings a very welcomed 'Belgian Imperial Stout'(or Belgian Royal Stout or w/e) style into more prominence. Make more and have Shelton make it more widely available.

Batch 14. Lot 6 BB.

It pours like a RIS should, a nice deep, rich dark brown/black body with a tan head that billows. It recedes to some very nice lacing as well. Surprisingly, you can still see sediment through the pitch black.

The smell is rich and intriguing. It has a scent like chocolate roasted bread. Literally, it has some very nice roasty scents. There is also a hint of caramel and dark fruit.

The flavor is full-on. It is chocolatey and roasty with numerous hits of caramel and coffee as well. There is also a velvety port presence that is very intriguing. There is also some spices and some raisin. It has a sweetness that isn't overbearing but for sure noticeable, but also a tangy fruitiness that helps balance it. In the end, it isn't as bitter as some stouts can be, rather quite balanced.

The mouthfeel is absolutely perfect: Thick, with just enough carbonation.

This one is a highlight reel bodycheck to the taste buds.

4.65/5  rDev +9.7%

On tap at Ebenezer's the other day.

The beer pours the expected rich, dark black color with very impressive head retention and lacing. Unlike the bottled version, I get a considerable aroma of chocolate, cherry and coffee. On tap this beer smells pretty nice. On the palate this beer is flat out deliciuos, and really doesnt' taste all that much different from the bottled version. While there is a goodly amount of rich chocolate and some coffee aroma, I also get quite a bit of cherry and plum flavor. The intermix of flavors is just lovely, and I really am impressed by how light, soft and creamy on the palate this beer is. Given the 13% abv, drinkability truly is amazing. While you can tell the alcohol is up there, there is nothing hot, heavy or tiring about this beer, though perhaps it wasn't the best idea to order a second glass (but how often does one get to have this beer on tap at Ebenezer's).

The more I get to have this beer, the more impressed I've become. This is delicious stuff.

4.65/5  rDev +9.7%

Produced by the Deca Brewery, best before April 2013. Imported by Horizon Wines, Inc. Canada.

A: Black with a tan head, great retention & lacing. Very impressive for its strength.

S: Burnt espresso, bakers chocolate, black strap molasses, tar, pine, pleasant fruitiness (plums, dates, cherries) & certainly some sherry-like alcohol in the nose.

T: Black strap molasses, espresso, great fruitiness (plums, figs & pear), burnt toffee, with hints of a pleasant roasted sourness, soy-sauce, tar-like resin & tobacco; plenty of bitterness, warming alcohol.

M: Very full, thick, creamy body with a slight roasted acidity. Incredible body for something this strong, with very little residual sweetness. Carbonation is pleasantly on the low side of moderate.

D: Amazingly drinkable for its strength.

I'm often not a fan of stouts over 10% abv, as they start to loose their stoutness. This is by far the best high alcohol stout I've had. Blows away Dark Lord & the Abyss, IMHO. I'm guessing it's not actually anywhere near 13% though.

Big thanks the Wildone for this CanBIF5 treat!

4.65/5  rDev +9.7%

11.2 oz. Bottle poured into my Aventinus Eisbock glass.

Appearance: Almost black in color. Very little head both initially and over time; however, there is some very nice lacing.

Smell: Mild, hard to gauge, toasted malt comes through.

Taste: My god, incredible, rich and tasty, exceptional, malt, caramel, coffee, chocolate, the Struise Belgian yeast, and a perfect amount of bitterness. All of this in perfect, and I mean perfect, balance. Urbain has masterfully crafted a world class stout. The alcohol provides some pleasant warmth but is otherwise well masked.

Mouth feel: Extremely smooth and creamy, brilliant.

Drinkability: So smooth, so tasty, I could drink this beer all night!
The best stout I have tasted to date.

4.65/5  rDev +9.7%

Poured this into my tumbler, it poured a black color with a huge brown sticky foamy head that lasted quite some time.

Smells of dark licorice, roasted coffe beans.

Taste of burnt coffee that smoothes out into a nice dark chocolate taste, a little bitter aftertaste thats not overpowering and quickly goes away with a nice sweet taste.

Mouthfeel was great, nice creamy thickness, could use a little more carbonatiom, but overall this beer goes down smooth and is excellent in hiding the 13%

I could definately have quite a few of these even though there 13%. I would drink this beer very often if it wasn't for the high cost and really hard to get them.

4.64/5  rDev +9.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Pours completely black with just under a fingers worth of fizzy brown head that disappeared to the edge of the glass quickly. The smell is chocolate, roasted malt, and dark fruits. You get a little bit of booze on the back end as well. Flavor follows suit as you get chocolate, raisin, a little bit of coffee and booze as well. There is definitely a Belgian taste to everything adding another great layer to this complex stout. The feel is thick and chewy going perfectly well with all the flavors. This is exactly what you'd want your Russian imperial stout to taste like!

4.64/5  rDev +9.4%

A-Nearly pitch black with a thin mocha colored ring that doesn't leave any lace. There is no head to speak of and some Belgian yeast that settled at the bottom.

S-Dark fruits, roasted malt, cocoa, alcohol. It has a distinct and strong nose that is sweeter than other imperial stouts.

T-Dark chocolate, roasted malt, heavy alcohol presence, a hint of Belgian yeast, dark fruits and a sour note comes in near the end and lingers along with some roasted malts.

M-Thick and creamy; syrupy

D-A true sipper due to its complexity and high alcohol content. It tastes delicious and doesn't have a heavy roasted malt flavor that for me sometimes hinders the drinkability of imperial stouts.

Overall, a true pleasure to drink. The sour not is a little odd, but doesn't hinder its drinkability. A great imperial stout that I hope to drink again.

4.64/5  rDev +9.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

29/11 2012 bottle.

Look: Very dark, syrupy pour with average sized, very thick, solid, dark mocha head. Slow, consistent and very pretty retention, mostly diminishes, the thin layer still leaves fair amount of fine lacing. Colour is dark, dark brown.

Smell: Intense burst out of the bottle. Raisins, dry plums with medium fat sweetness, mostly milk chocolate, burned caramel and roast. Touch of sour (dark fruit notes) and a very light alcohol feel in the nose - combined they break the fatness. Fat, rich but in good harmony.

Taste: Surprisingly pleasant, fruity (dry fruits - raisins, dry apricots) start. Smooth, medium sweetness develops into a rich, strong medium-heavy but still smooth sweet middle, mostly chocolate driven with strong, fat caramel. Light sour still present, not so dark fruity, more notes come from different dry fruits - sour dry cranberries come to mind. Sourness with a very light, subtle alcohol spike refreshes the whole thing. The end is medium-heavy mostly coffee, roast bitterness with a solid light hop character (noble). The after-taste is mostly roast with some very light noble hop and light chocolate sweetness.

Mouthfeel: Full, heavy body, very creamy, smooth. Light alcohol to detect, it is very well incorporated, breaks the solid, fat sweetness.

Overall: One of the best in the style for me. If you can get your hand on it, do so. Rich, smooth, fat and fun, all that it wants to be and more.

4.63/5  rDev +9.2%

A: Very deep brown color with a very nice fluffy chocolate milk colored head. Retains the head exceedingly well. Leaves good lacing as well.

S: Dark chocolate and cocoa powder with a nice malty sweetness underneath. Slight alcohol burn.

T: Cocoa and chocolate are big upfront with a bit of alcohol burn going down.

M: Full bodied and silky smooth. Minimal carbonation.
D: Despite the ABV this is very drinkable. I could only imagine how much smoother it could get with age.

4.63/5  rDev +9.2%

This is simply a wonderful beer. I had no idea until I logged onto this site about the high ABV. The alcohol is well-hidden.

Pours midnight black, with a slight chocolately smell. Tastes very good, with a mixture of coffee, roasted malts and a slight chocolate taste, matching the smell.

It's very creamy, and goes down nice and easy. I wish I didn't have to drive for more than two hours to have another one of these.

4.63/5  rDev +9.2%

Thanks stoutsNipas for this one, small capped bottle poured into a snifter. Best before 2013.

I will admit there was a strong bias before trying this one, but I can also see perfection, even through all my preconceived notions.
Pitch black, but shiny, with an amazingly thick, fluffy and long lasting head for a beer with this amount of alcohol.
Like some that reviewed before me, it is hard to classify. The delicious aroma starts closer to an oatmeal stout, evolves into something a bit closer to a quadrupel or strong dark ale, and eventually shows notes of an imperial stout (which this one is certainly not). Chocolate, coffee, candy, fruits, caramel, molasses, yeast, bread and a few other notes can be picked up.
It comes across the tongue and throat as smooth as possible, and I am still having a hard time believing the ABV stated on the label; there is no heat whatsoever in the beginning, with some showinhg at the end as it produces a somewhat dry finish. It actually goes down quite easy considering it is 75 F tonight (there is no way I could have waited for the autumn).
The complex flavors also run the gamut suggested from the palate.

4.63/5  rDev +9.2%

Poured 11.2oz bottle at cellar temp into my Spiegelau glass. Bottle stamped Lot: B | 6 | BB. No idea what this lot means but it's one hell of a beer!

A - Poured a deep dark black that is so dark that even held up to the light no light even thinks about coming through on any part of the glass, not even the edges or bottom. Solid 1 finger coffee color head that dissipated to a 1/8" coating leaving a nice lacing down the glass.

S - Very sweet smelling, almost similar to maraschino cherries. Pick up some roasted coffee and sweet toffee almost bisquity as well. A belgian inspired nose.

T - Sweet dark fruits up front with a burnt coffee finish. A bitterness that is amazinly balanced by the thick malt body.

M - Thick, thick, thick body, frothy head is like drinking a frappe (or milkshake for you other non New Englanders... ha-ha). A bit of heat hits the throat as you swallow but fades quick.

D - 13%... whoa... no freakin' way... very well hidden and I could see myself having no issue what so ever finishing this one and if I had another it would be hard to hold me back.

4.62/5  rDev +9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

From an 11.2 oz bottle, 2009 vintage.

There's no secret why they call this Black Albert. No light penetration, even when held up to a 120 watt bulb. Cap comes off easy, with little expression of bottled up gases. Pours a syrupy cascade, with little head development.

Smells of raisins and booze. You get the alcohol right up front, so there's no secrets here. You're gonna feel it. A bit of graham cracker maltiness, and sweet, dark fruits.

You taste the alcohol in here, but not in a bad way at all. Like sipping a good scotch, although this is better, and burns way less going down. Similar to the scent, you get a lot of fruits and cocoa, coffee, and bran.

Overall, one of the best stouts out there, IMHO. I will always keep an eye out for more, and will eventually see how the ones I have are aging from year to year, Probably only gets better.

Black Albert from De Struise Brouwers