Black Albert - De Struise Brouwers

Black AlbertBlack Albert

De Struise Brouwers visit their website

Russian Imperial Stout |  13.00% ABV

Originally brewed exclusively for Ebenezer's Pub in Lovell, ME.

(Beer added by: brewandbbq on 08-23-2007)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Black Albert Alström Bros
MisledTitan

stevefinny

01-31-2012 00:50:19 | More by stevefinny
granite

New Hampshire

Reviewed from notes taken at the 2007 Ebenezer's Belgian beer fest.

First I would like to thank Chris for his generosity in sharing this with me.

I was talking to Urbain from De Struise about wild yeast and the owner of Ebenezer's, Chris hands me a globe of Black Albert on the house.

First off this was the darkest stout i have ever seen. I took my glass out to the sun porch to try and see if any light would penetrate. Well the sun did not stand a chance, I have no idea what the srm was but it had to be 60+. It had a thick, creamy brown head that was long lasting. The aroma consisted of chocolate and roasted malt with a slight touch of port in the back ground. The flavor was very rich and warming. Started off with a fresh roasted coffee taste. Vanilla beans and nobel hops in the middle and finished with an amazing chocolate aftertaste. The alcohol was perfectly balanced with the malt and the bitterness. It was warming but never hot and slightly sweet but not cloying. Urbain said the final gravity was 1.030 so he was able to achieve really good attenuation for a 100% malt bill. No sugar or adjuncts in Black Albert. The mouthfeel was very full and smooth. It is the best stout RIS or BIS I have ever tried hands down.

11-24-2007 16:23:11 | More by granite
brkstoutfiend

12-01-2011 14:29:53 | More by brkstoutfiend
spycow

12-14-2011 00:38:50 | More by spycow
LauraAlberts

South Carolina

Appearance: Complete Black, can't see through - two fingers of tan head retention.

Smell: Molasses, Caramel, Little hint of bittersweet Chocolate, hint of mokah, black raspberry, dark cherry.

Taste: Tobacco, Vanilla bean, Molasses, Caramel, roasted nut

Mouthfeel: my favorite part - creamy - can't even taste the 13.00% alcohol.

Drinkability: Highly Drinkable - not heavy. I highly recommend - it is unbelievable. Quite possibly my favorite beer I've ever had.

06-13-2009 19:49:43 | More by LauraAlberts
ScottStache

11-10-2013 00:42:45 | More by ScottStache
bluntedboywonder

12-06-2011 21:38:46 | More by bluntedboywonder
WoodyOBeer

I was up in New England for vacation over the Holidays and made a point of going to my favorite “beer bar”…Ebenezer’s…in Lovell, Maine. While there, I had the honor of trying one of the best beers I have ever tasted. For the past 14 years I have sampled over 3000 beers. Because I had developed my own rating system long before I even knew about BeerAdvocate.com or RateBeer.com, I do not post my ratings on either site (it would be like keeping 2 sets of books). But “Black Albert” impressed me so very much that I felt that I had to let everyone know how truly amazing it is! With over 3000 beers tasted & rated, I have only ever tasted 3 to which I would give a perfect score…and this is without question, the best of those 3!

By coincidence, I had just held a Stout tasting event the night before. Among the beers we sampled were some of the best: Bell’s “Expedition”, Bell’s “Double Cream”, Bell’s “Java”, and Moylan’s “Ryan O’Sullivan’s Imperial Stout”. As great as these beers are, “Black Albert” was even better. It is the most complex stout that I have ever tried. The color is black with a light-brown, lacy head (about 1 finger). The initial smell is malty, with notes of coffee & fruits. The taste is smooth & rich (but not too creamy)…there is an initial taste of coffee, which dissipates, and later returns. The taste lingers…and changes…for a long while. While sharing this amazing beer with a few others, I heard the comment “I died and went to heaven”. I could not agree more with this. “Black Albert” was as religious of an experience, as you could ever hope (or pray) to have!

01-10-2008 00:39:08 | More by WoodyOBeer
Cris4545

Indiana

05-16-2014 22:52:06 | More by Cris4545
dubinsky

Batch 14 poured into a snifter.

A - Pours pitch black with a two finger mocha, creamy head. Excellent retention that ultimately leaves a very dense lacing.

S - Chocolate, coffee, dark malt, dark stone fruit, cherry coke. This smells wonderful.

T - WOW!!!! This is one of the coolest, best tasting beers i have ever had. There is so much awesomeness going on here. Dark cherries, prunes, chocolate and espresso. Whats unique about this one is that it has a distinctive Belgian yeast flavor to it which is different from the other imperial stouts i have come to love. Almost like a quad. Oh yeah, it reminds me of a flat cherry coke as well, really unique.

M - Ridiculous mouth feel. Very full bodied, yet smooth as silk. It's thick and chewy but something about it, perhaps the gentle carbonation and the fluffy/creamy head make this beer truly amazing. Luxurious.

D - This is definitely drinkable, but i don't want to "drink" it, i want to sip and savor it for as long as possible. For a 13% high abv, it doesn't burn at all. Has a slight warming effect, but again is extremely smooth. Someone else said it well, this beer blurs the line between Quad and Russian Imperial Stout. The cost is a bit prohibitive, but really, who cares with so much awesomeness going on.

11-18-2010 05:20:42 | More by dubinsky
Rempo

Indiana

11-20-2011 20:34:03 | More by Rempo
BigMike

I was told by Matt at Capone's that this beer was a little over a year old when i bought it.

Poured into a tulip glass. Pretty black in color. No light coming through. The head is pretty creamy and tight and is a hazelnut color. Lots of viscosity as this thing just clings to the glass for dear life.

Smell is beautiful. Lots of dark roasted chocolate. Tons of espresso. A faint blueberry aroma way in the back and an old world belgian yeastiness.

Lots and lots of roasted malts. i mean an insane amount. this thing is roasted espresso and chocolate. What sets this apart from most imperial stouts is the blueberry undertones and the belgian yeast. I mean this thing is amazing.

13%abv??? Are you kidding me? This drinks like liquid velvet. Smooth rich and creamy. How such a HUGE beer could be so easy to drink just amazes me. This beer is a good time.

Drinkability is incredible. I'm waiting for the abv to hit me because it hasn't yet. Even at the ridiculous price this is worth picking up. I want to try every beer from De Struise.

I can't find any faults with this beer. I really think this may be my first perfect score. I'm going to sit here and enjoy the rest of this beer and decide on what my final score is going to be.

03-13-2010 00:19:15 | More by BigMike
Miamilice

Vermont

12-05-2011 22:29:11 | More by Miamilice
Jspriest

11-14-2011 07:59:03 | More by Jspriest
grayburn

South Carolina

Most beers don't live up to the hype, I've gotten used to this. So as I purchased my 10 dollar, 330cl bottle, I was not expecting anything that revolutionized beer to me. It happened anyway. The big kicker on this beer is the thick and creamy mouth, it really brings together all facets of this wonderful brew into an orgasmic package. Dangerously drinkable, the chocolate and belgianesque funkiness really play like best friends here. My words do no justice, believe the hype.

06-09-2009 06:27:48 | More by grayburn
CwrwAmByth

United Kingdom (Wales)

This is an exciting moment for me, as this is the 'Batch 0' I am drinking, which is the first lot ever brewed, and also my first Black Albert or indeed first continental stout!

The pour is just amazing, the beer looks incredibly thick and a lovely white/brown head forms, which lasts about 5 minutes, leaving a thin layer on top.

The smell is utter heaven. Burnt coffee, toffee and some sort of fruit is coming through, maybe burnt nuts as well. This is laced with alcohol and a sweetness.

The taste surpassed the smell, and as I drink I get a very rich taste as well as the burntness which comes through with the smell. Rich fruits come through in the middle, as does a bitterness, which balances out towards the end of the mouthful as you swallow.

The mouthfeel is thick, akin to a milkshake, in fact this could almost be rich, dark, well developed milkshake. This makes it go down easily but also means you are left thirstier than when you started due to the sickliness of it. This is natural though as the crisp bitterness comes through here.

Overall an excellent drink, my all time favourite beer by far (so far, out of about 30 beers. edit: after 325 beers, this is still true) however I could not drink alot of it which is perhaps a bonus due to the price tag! Yes, definitely I will purchase again when I have some money to spare and want something decadent.

02-02-2011 21:50:42 | More by CwrwAmByth

profondo

Sweden

11-03-2012 09:12:37 | More by profondo
Cedromar

Sampled on tap at Ebenezer's Pub, thanks again Chris! Aroma is chocolaty, with some vanilla and coffee mixed in. Appearance is a beautiful black with a 1 inch head. Flavor is a wonderful mix of bitter chocolate and coffee with caramel notes to help make it extra smooth. Mouthfeel is amazing as well. I cannot get enough of this brew smooth with small carbonation.
Overall the best RIS I've ever had.
It beats Kate, Darklord and Darkness all in the arse. When it finally is available in bottle I will be buying up every bottle I see.

03-25-2008 00:32:08 | More by Cedromar