Join our email list →

De Struise Brouwers
Belgium | website

Russian Imperial Stout | 13.00% ABV

Beer added by: brewandbbq on 08-23-2007

Originally brewed exclusively for Ebenezer's Pub in Lovell, ME.
Reviews: 838 | Hads: 1,693

Batch 14. Lot 6 BB.

It pours like a RIS should, a nice deep, rich dark brown/black body with a tan head that billows. It recedes to some very nice lacing as well. Surprisingly, you can still see sediment through the pitch black.

The smell is rich and intriguing. It has a scent like chocolate roasted bread. Literally, it has some very nice roasty scents. There is also a hint of caramel and dark fruit.

The flavor is full-on. It is chocolatey and roasty with numerous hits of caramel and coffee as well. There is also a velvety port presence that is very intriguing. There is also some spices and some raisin. It has a sweetness that isn't overbearing but for sure noticeable, but also a tangy fruitiness that helps balance it. In the end, it isn't as bitter as some stouts can be, rather quite balanced.

The mouthfeel is absolutely perfect: Thick, with just enough carbonation.

This one is a highlight reel bodycheck to the taste buds.

4.65/5  rDev +9.7%

On tap at Ebenezer's the other day.

The beer pours the expected rich, dark black color with very impressive head retention and lacing. Unlike the bottled version, I get a considerable aroma of chocolate, cherry and coffee. On tap this beer smells pretty nice. On the palate this beer is flat out deliciuos, and really doesnt' taste all that much different from the bottled version. While there is a goodly amount of rich chocolate and some coffee aroma, I also get quite a bit of cherry and plum flavor. The intermix of flavors is just lovely, and I really am impressed by how light, soft and creamy on the palate this beer is. Given the 13% abv, drinkability truly is amazing. While you can tell the alcohol is up there, there is nothing hot, heavy or tiring about this beer, though perhaps it wasn't the best idea to order a second glass (but how often does one get to have this beer on tap at Ebenezer's).

The more I get to have this beer, the more impressed I've become. This is delicious stuff.

4.65/5  rDev +9.7%

Produced by the Deca Brewery, best before April 2013. Imported by Horizon Wines, Inc. Canada.

A: Black with a tan head, great retention & lacing. Very impressive for its strength.

S: Burnt espresso, bakers chocolate, black strap molasses, tar, pine, pleasant fruitiness (plums, dates, cherries) & certainly some sherry-like alcohol in the nose.

T: Black strap molasses, espresso, great fruitiness (plums, figs & pear), burnt toffee, with hints of a pleasant roasted sourness, soy-sauce, tar-like resin & tobacco; plenty of bitterness, warming alcohol.

M: Very full, thick, creamy body with a slight roasted acidity. Incredible body for something this strong, with very little residual sweetness. Carbonation is pleasantly on the low side of moderate.

D: Amazingly drinkable for its strength.

I'm often not a fan of stouts over 10% abv, as they start to loose their stoutness. This is by far the best high alcohol stout I've had. Blows away Dark Lord & the Abyss, IMHO. I'm guessing it's not actually anywhere near 13% though.

Big thanks the Wildone for this CanBIF5 treat!

4.65/5  rDev +9.7%

11.2 oz. Bottle poured into my Aventinus Eisbock glass.

Appearance: Almost black in color. Very little head both initially and over time; however, there is some very nice lacing.

Smell: Mild, hard to gauge, toasted malt comes through.

Taste: My god, incredible, rich and tasty, exceptional, malt, caramel, coffee, chocolate, the Struise Belgian yeast, and a perfect amount of bitterness. All of this in perfect, and I mean perfect, balance. Urbain has masterfully crafted a world class stout. The alcohol provides some pleasant warmth but is otherwise well masked.

Mouth feel: Extremely smooth and creamy, brilliant.

Drinkability: So smooth, so tasty, I could drink this beer all night!
The best stout I have tasted to date.

4.65/5  rDev +9.7%

Poured this into my tumbler, it poured a black color with a huge brown sticky foamy head that lasted quite some time.

Smells of dark licorice, roasted coffe beans.

Taste of burnt coffee that smoothes out into a nice dark chocolate taste, a little bitter aftertaste thats not overpowering and quickly goes away with a nice sweet taste.

Mouthfeel was great, nice creamy thickness, could use a little more carbonatiom, but overall this beer goes down smooth and is excellent in hiding the 13%

I could definately have quite a few of these even though there 13%. I would drink this beer very often if it wasn't for the high cost and really hard to get them.

4.66/5  rDev +9.9%

Very excited to try my first Struise. Thanks to aasher for the hookup! A big thick stout just seemed to fit the bill for sitting in the driveway on this humid 89 degree Indiana evening.

Pours a very viscous, dark impenetrable black with a nice fluffy 3 finger mocha color head. Drinking out of "old faithful" my New Belgium snifter. Head dissipates very slowly. Can't wait to take my first sip as I watch the large bubbles pop in this
sea of chocolate lava.

I shoo away the small spider that trying to climb up my glass as I get ready for my first taste.... sorry buddy, this stuff's a tad
too pricey to share. First taste is of rich chocolate with a bit of a sour cherry twang. Tastes a tad bit like a cold chocolate covered cherry... creamy and velvety.

The little spider goes for it again and is equalized. Okay, now the cherry twang is coming through a tad stronger. Don't get me wrong, this is a very good thing. I'm now entering the second half of this what is so far a great experience. Crap, interrupted by the neighbor... listen to long, drawn out story. On the bright side, gives beer a chance to warm a bit. There's still a bit of mocha head floating around like some chocolatey pond funk and the lacing is really solid. By the way, no detectable alchol taste in this 13% velvety drink at all.

As I enter the final 3rd of the journey, the alcohol is starting to kick a bit I'm considering simply inhaling this beer. Need to check and see if this beer is barrel aged as I'm detecting slight notes of bourbon. Reminds me a tad of the barrel aged total eclipse I had from Foothills a while back.

In the final sips, the chocolate is getting darker and more intense and a hint of earthy bitterness is creeping in but I would not consider this to be a hoppy stout by any stretch.
Overall, I have to say this is a very solid and well balanced beer. Not sure I should have made it my first of the night though in
terms of the 13% ABV and the fact that it's going to be hard for anything else I open tonight to live up to this.

11.2oz bottle poured into a snifter
Lot: B 6 BB; not sure what year this is from

A: Pours a thick viscous, very dark brown, with just under 1 fingers width of espresso colored head that dissipates down almost immediately. There is all kinds of sedimentation floating around in the glass. Leaves affectively no lacing.

S: Lots of dark fruit, sour plums and raisin in particular. Roasted, chocolate and coffee aromas. A subtle smoky scent, and a noticeable alcohol character as well. Wonderful aromas, and they are strong!

T: There is a flavor explosion from the first sip. Dark fruits, roasted malt, some hop bitterness, all followed by a big backers chocolate character on the backend. Some specific flavors that are noted throughout the drink are cherry, dark chocolate, raisin, some funky Belgium yeast, roasted coffee, an earthy/grassy character and alcohol to balance it all out. A complex and delicious beer. The amount of different flavors that this brew contains, all harmoniously mixed, is plain impressive.

M/D: Chewy mouth feel. It has a noticeable alcohol burn. The fact that it comes off a little hot is probably the only real negative with this beer, but I guess it’s to be expected with a 13% ABV. This does keep it from being particularly smooth, but at least the alcohol doesn’t distract much from the wonderful flavor profile. Medium to full bodied, with a low level of carbonation.

O: Overall, quite a damn good brew. Right up there, and maybe even passing up Beer Geek Brunch Weasel as my all time favorite RIS. Awesome aroma, and a complex and delicious flavor profile. The one drawback is the price, running $10.50 for an 11.2oz bottle. That, combined with its limited availability will make it something I don’t drink often, but when I do I’ll be sure to enjoy it. A must try.

look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Look - Pours black like motor oil. Mocha colored head that fades to nothing. No lacing to speak of.
Smell - Roasted coffee, molasses, toffee, roasted grains.
Taste - Coffee, sweet toffee, cinnamon, slight hint of licorice and cinnamon.
Feel - Creamy like a latte, almost no carbonation to speak of.
Overall - An amazing Russian Imperial Stout. I hope I come across this again.

4.67/5  rDev +10.1%

After all the hype, I finally got to try this beer. It lived up to its reputation. Served in a tulip, the beer was an impenetrable black with a medium tan head. It had a coffee and chocolate aroma, like most RIS, but to my usually impaired nose, was fairly pronounced. A coffee/espresso and chocolate taste, very well balanced. If not for the high ABV, could drink a lot of these.

4.67/5  rDev +10.1%

Wow, what a piece of work. This is a delicious beer, and proof that brewing is art. It's not the best beer I've had, certainly in that ballpark though, but I am just amazed that this beer even exists, because it seems to contradict style while transcending it altogether. At a glance, this is just a real handsome stout. Robust blackness and a healthy brown head of foam. But the norms end there... The aromas coming from this beer are pretty out of this world, roasty, ripe, delicious. And something reminiscent of a can of paint. Some common stouty flavors of licorice, dark roasted chocolate malt, and coffee, combine with a ripe tangy pungency of the Belgian yeast. It sounds like almost too many flavors, too complex, but it all blends together in quite a sophisticated way. It is amazing how light on the palate this beer is considering the intense flavor achieved. If I did not know it to be true, you would have a damned hard time convincing me that this beer is even close to 13% ABV. Every sip I am saying in my head, "how did they do that?" ... An enigma of a beer. Belgian Royal Stout indeed.

4.67/5  rDev +10.1%

A: Deeply black with two finger brown head. Fades after a bit and leaves decent lacing

S: Nicely phenolic like a nice belgian quad, but with much more espresso and dark choclate. Some figginess and a nice fruitty sweetness as well with some candy sugar

T/M: Mouthfeel is medium, perhaps would have liked it heavier. More carbonated than an average stout, but I suppsoe that's the "Belgian" part of the Royal Stout description. Amazingly clean for a 13% abv beer. I get some anise up front, which fades to a figgy coffee flavor, and then a crisp hop bite, then I get even more figs and a grape and rasiin taste. Going on over all of this is a white pepper spice and a malty sweetness. It's not unitl you've sat there for a good four or five seconds after the finish that alcohol becomes apparent.

D: Pretty damn good considering the alochol.

Ovr: In a year that has brought me Dark Lord, Darkness, Abyss, and now Black Albert, I'd have to say this is right up there. Much more drinkable than the heavier stouts, but as complex. If you forced me, I'd go Dark Lord, Darkness, Black Albert, Abyss

4.67/5  rDev +10.1%

330mL Batch 0 poured into a Duvel tulip. Dark, obviously, and a big tan head forms almost like a nitro pour. Just a beautiful beer.

Smells of roasted malts, metallic chocolate and a hint of coffee. Probably one of the best smelling imperial stouts I have had. Nothing stands out as being too sharp.

Taste is bitter and viscous, with a hint of tartness and coffee like flavors. Beautifully carbonated, particularly for a beer of this ABV, the finish has a bit more of the roasted malt acidity. This is an outstanding beer, one that I wish was more readily available in these parts.

4.67/5  rDev +10.1%

33cl bottle into a Duvel tulip. I purchased it at Julio's over a year ago, so it's no younger than early 2010, probably an 09.

A: Having heard stories of infected bottles providing copious amounts of foam, I begin by pouring slowly down the side of the tulip. No problems at all, and once I straighten things out I'm left with a perfect inch of creamy brown head atop a deep black body. Lovely retention and lacing, especially for such a big beer. The only downside is a rather large amount of sediment, but that's probably my fault for not paying too much attention to the tail end of the pour. Gorgeous beer.

S: Oh, my. What an aroma. Bittersweet chocolate jumps out, followed closely by rich dark fruit - prune, raisin, cherry. More chocolate maltiness fills in after the initial wave of fruit, along with some licorice and herbal, citrusy hops. I can't believe the sheer amount of complexity, and yet everything works together perfectly. This, so far, has all been from my first few deep inhalations. As I let the beer warm, even more olfactory beauty wafts my way: the chocolate gets sweeter and picks up nuances of smoke and nuts, the fruity edge softens into some candy-like sweetness, and at no point does the substantial alcohol show through. Wow. Hands down one of the best aromas I've smelled this year.

T: Roasted malts are the first thing I taste, with slight coffee joining the dominant chocolate from the nose. The dark fruits come on strong, lending a hint of tartness midway through, and huge hops bitterness joins with some big (but manageable) booze on the finish. Tastes more Belgiany than it smelled, with the candi sweetness and slightly tart fruitiness giving it a distinctly quad-like feel. Saying it tastes like a quad is too simplistic, though, as it only does so at times: initially it tastes like an RIS, then a quad, and finally almost a black IPA with the huge bitterness. It's awesome, but the disparate flavors don't meld quite as seamlessly as they did on the nose.

M: Silky full body with a goodly dose of soft carbonation. Decadent, and perfect for what it is.

O: I've been sitting on this one for a long time, never able to get up the nerve to crack this small pricy bottle. I'll be heading to Europe in just a few days, though, with a possible trip to Struise, so I wanted to try their flagship stout before making up my mind about an itinerary. All I can say is, this beer blew me away by being exactly what I hoped it would be: hugely complex, distinctly Belgian, and decadently delicious. Now I just need to track down all the Black Damnation variants!

Cheers!

look: 4 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Poured bottle with batch B6BB into Lost Abbey Teku

A-Pours an all black body with a thick creamy brown head.

S-Aroma of dark berries, cocoa, roast, raisins and spices.

T-Taste is fruity yet dry roasted, dark chocolate, raisins, and a sense of vanilla towards the finish. Lovely mocca and cocoa aftertaste.

M-Mouthfeel is well rich body, great balance here. Good carbonation

O-Overall it was well worth the money I paid for this a special 4 of July treat.

4.68/5  rDev +10.4%

Pours black with noticable chunkcs of sediment & carbonated bubbles clinging to the class. 1-finger cafe au lait head that stays throughout. Just beautiful. Significant lacing.

The smell is strong of dark fruits, molasses, chocolate, and roasted coffee-like malts. The taste is strong of coffee, cocoa, roasted malts, honey, vanilla, and alcohol. No aftertaste. Mouthfeel is buttery with a crisp carbonation at the end.

This is a drinkable RIS--rich but so delicious.

4.68/5  rDev +10.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Picked up a bottle at Johnny's Off License in Rome.

Appearance: Pours a deep, deep brown to black, completely opaque. This is a dark beast, capped with a nice, fluffy mocha head. The head actually sticks around quite well, and really sticks to the glass.

Aroma: Leads with bold roast flavors, definitely some dark chocolate and maybe a bit of coffee. There is some spice in there, as well as dark fruit, like a BSDA. Nose somehow balances the roast and the Belgian dark flavors.

Taste: Hot damn. This is a bold, ambitious beer. It actually leads with a real BSDA type taste, heavy on the dark fruits, but also some more tart flavors like cherry. Some molasses, Belgian candy and yeast type sweetness, even some vanilla and light spice. This transitions flawlessly into the roastier characters, with some dark roasted notes, dark chocolate, coffee, and even some smokiness, reminiscent slightly of a bacony Schlenkerla, but not quite as strong. There's no distinct difference between these sets of flavors, they come in at slightly different times, but the styles blend together flawlessly. I could really only taste a little booze when it warmed up, but even then it was hardly noticeable at all, quite a feat for 13%.

Mouthfeel: Nice and full, rich mouthfeel and moderate carbonation. This thing fills your mouth and coats it, but the carbonation keeps it moving around the palate a bit.

Overall: This beer is the lovechild of an imperial stout and a BSDA, and it is beautiful. Manages to be powerful, complex, and assertive in its flavors, but absolutely balanced at the same time. This beer is so damn near perfect in my mind. It's a well executed work of art, not to mention a combination of two of my favorite styles. I must say this is one of my favorite beers of all time, and I'd drink it again in a heartbeat.

4.68/5  rDev +10.4%

A - very deep black color with a strong head of brown cream

S - nice sweet aroma with some candied figs and some slight spicyness some hints of vanilla extract

T - very smooth with some nice chocolate flavors and deep roasty notes there are some vanilla and fig flavors

M - great it is very think but crazy smooth with nice carbonation

D - extreamly drinkable nice and smooth

4.68/5  rDev +10.4%

Pours motor oil black. Beautiful mocha head nice lace.

Cocoa vanilla strong dark malt aroma. A little bit of fig and belgian quad aroma as Well.

Rich chocolate vanilla tobacco all hit one after another. That lingering belgian dark fruit complements the other flavors nicely.

Velvity smooth and suprisingly light. Amazing complex flavors. Just an all around amazing beer.

4.68/5  rDev +10.4%

Black Albert batch 0 is a much different beast than the original bottles of BA that were sent to the US. First off, this was purchased from the yeast store for less than $10/330ml bottle. All I can say is this is closer to Dark Lord of Bells Batch 7000 than the other Black Albert. For a review of the lesser vintage, see below.

This stout pours a black soil color and has a very nice espresso brown head. Excellent lacing and retention. The nose is a bit light. It has subtle malts and hops along with dark chocolate, bitter molasses and sweet fruit. The taste more impressive than the nose. There are roasty malts, bitter hops, cocoa, and molasses with subtle ripe fruits. Similar to De Dolle export stout in the sense that the Belgian yeasts have a strong presence. Well balanced for such a big beer. Full body is well carbonated. A nice brew, quite unique. This vintage gets a 4.0-4.2 score.

4.68/5  rDev +10.4%

I previously reviewed the standard version of this, however was able to land a Batch 0. This version is much better in my opinion. Poured a 11.7oz bottle into a snifter. Reviewed on 9/22/10

A: Right away I can this is different from the standard. Pour is a much darker brown color and looks creamy. Left a 1/2 finger mocha head which great retention. Got a bit of lacing towards the end of the glass

S: Small nose, but what I get is roasted malt, some chocolate and dark fruit notes. Someone described this as mixed berries compote, which I'd say is pretty close. As it warmed, I picked up some traces of alcohol and toffee

T: Starts with a touch of sweetness, followed by dark chocolate. Kinda like flavored chocolate I guess. This is joined by a big roasted flavor. Every few sips I get a hint of smokiness as well. The fruity sweetness lingers on the palate, but the finish is definitely a good roasty bitterness

M: Definitely full bodied. Wonderfully smooth and creamy. Finishes with a fair amount of bitterness. Just a hint of carbonation that tingles the tongue

D: Fantastic beer overall. I barely put the glass down as each sip left me wanting more. The first bottle of Black Albert I had was more like a quad, but now I see why this beer was hyped in the first place

---
Reviewed from last weeks notes. 11.2oz bottle poured into a snifter

A: Brownish colored pour with 1+ finger sandy head. No lacing to report

S: Dark fruit (raisin/fig), hint of roasted malt, candied sugar and a slight whiff of alcohol

T: Big smokey flavor to start, which was not really expected from the smell. Some fruit flavors come out and it finishes with the alcohol kick, but nothing too off putting

M: Fairly large carbonation presence causes a light mouthfeel. There is a slight bitterness in the finish

D: Well, this might be the version that is more quad-like opposed to stout-like. Maybe best described as a mix, starting as a quad and finishing as a stout. Happy to try, but the price tag will probably stop me from buying again. Do have one to age, so we'll see how that goes

4/4/4/4/4 - B+

330ml bottle poured in a chalice

A: Pours a beautiful deep dark color. Opaque. The head is very small, bubbled and beige. practically no lacings left

S: Roasted malts, dark chocolate, coffee. A bit fruity. Belgian yeasts

T: Strong on roasted malts, dark chocolate, coffee. Belgian yeasts. Quite bitter

M: Heavy body. Low carbonation. High ABV. Roasted bitter end

O: Simply excellent

4.68/5  rDev +10.4%

Thanks to drseamus for the opportunity.

A: Just short of black. Quite a bit of brown on the edges of the glass. One half finger of mocha head.

S: Molasses sweetness. Brandy. Not the burn but the pleasant smell.

T: Sweetness caramel, smoke, roasted grain, coffee, chocolate and a slight hint of fruit. Incredibly complex.

M: Lighter body than you would think. My only real complaint about this beer. Would have liked the body a tad bit thicker.

D:Damn. This is up there with choklat in terms of dumb amounts of drinkability. No hint of the 13% at all. This really is a great beer that in most ways lived up to the hype. Other members of the group compared this to Dark Lord. haven't had the pleasure yet but that is good company. Would definitely have again if it didn't involve selling organs.

4.7/5  rDev +10.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A - Really dark pour with no light penetration. Rich dark tan head; beer looks wonderfully lively.

S - Chocolate, coffee, rich with slight soy sauce undertones.

T - Pleasant sweetness/caramel, chocolate, coffee, Ends slightly bready and has an interesting umame taste. Very well balanced and sooo smooth.

M - Great creaminess and carbonation that acts like a cloud, the liquid never really touches the tongue on the way down.

D - 13% ABV? No way... this is way too smooth. Not boozy at all... this is the best 13% i've ever experienced. Way way too smooth. This is an amazing beer. All the sudden... i'm kinda lightheaded and warm =) oooohhh yeeeeaaaahhh.

Notes from 07/04/2009
A: Dirty-snow head, 3/4 of an inch. Black color that reveals some brown when brought to light.

S: immediately after pouring the smell is very week, but gradually it unfolds first into roasted coffee and then into sweet chocolaty presence, some distant floral notes.

T/M: definitely chocolate, sweet and bitter at the same time, roasted coffee, perhaps molasses, bitterness is very subtle - how do you hide 100 IBU so well? - it's there, but sort of comes from a distance.

Maybe a bottle version differs from a tapped one, but I wouldn't say the beer is very thick. It's not thin by any means, full bodied, but I wouldn't say that thickness is one of its stand-out features. Balanced really nicely and 13% abv? - I would never guess, so well hidden. Definitely needs some time in the glass to open up completely; the longer it sits in the glass the more complex and pleasant it becomes. And the alcohol starts to show with its warm... or maybe it's just because I'm nearing the end of the bottle and 13% abv start to make its presence noticeable.

It's my second sampling of De Struise's brew (Tjesuus being the other one) and what can I say, seems like this brewery can't miss. Highly recommended.

4.7/5  rDev +10.8%

11.2 ounce bottle acquired in a trade with brianj555, he originally spent 33 dollars on this beer which is extremely steep but I had to try it, decided to open this bottle for my 800th review a week ago, reviewed from notes, poured into my Flying Dog imperial pint glass

A-Deep dark black with minimal light going through which makes it a little red, 3/4 inch creamy light brown head, stuck around for close to ten minutes, great retention, fantastic lacing
S-Coffee, dark chocolate, dark sugar, burned malts, plums, figs, smoky accents, Belgian yeast, raspberries, ether, black cherries and currants, earthiness, and blueberries
T-Starts off with lots of dark chocolate and milky texture, roasted malt in the middle, finish has a hint of booze that is not very noticeable, gets a little dry at times, later on gets a little sweeter and the cocoa comes to the surface more, creamier at the end as well, warms up nicely and its aroma is also evident in its flavor, great brew
M-Rich, roasted, dry, creamy, and bitter mouthfeel all at the same time, full thick body, perfect level of carbonation, taste lingers
D-Alcohol is hidden incredibly well, ABV is high but barely there in the taste, complex and inviting, smooth as can be, goes down surprisingly easy

One of the best stouts I have had, way different than a Russian Imperial Stout, I have said it once and it will say many more times, De Struise is a phenomenal brewery, crazy that this worked out to be three dollars per ounce but it was great to try it once, probably would not drink it again since I had such a good taste this time because I have heard about bad bottles from a few different people now and do not want to damper my experience, highly recommended

Black Albert from De Struise Brouwers