Black Albert - De Struise Brouwers

Black AlbertBlack Albert

De Struise Brouwers visit their website

Russian Imperial Stout |  13.00% ABV

Beer added by: brewandbbq on 08-23-2007

Originally brewed exclusively for Ebenezer's Pub in Lovell, ME.
Reviews: 832 | Hads: 1,661
4.78/5  rDev +12.7%

A - Pours pitch black with creamy tan head with good retention. There are some reddish-brown highlights present when held up to the light.

S - Strong coffee and sour cherry flavors.

T - Similar to the nose, coffee and cherry mixed with roasted malt. Extremely smooth. I detected the alcohol is the first sip but it faded shortly after. This is easily in my top 3 beers of all time.

M - Very creamy, just perfect.

D - Extremely drinkable even at 13%. That's dangerous.

4.79/5  rDev +13%

11.2 oz bottle. Split with a friend.

A- Black. Poured a little thinner than I would expect. All the alcohol?

S- Lots going on. Bitter Chocolate, cabaret, Brett,

T- Caught off guard by the slight tart/fruitiness from the yeast. Some dark cherries and other stone fruits. Ultra dark chocolate, tobacco and roast, but not out front like you would expect.

MF- Definitely some carbonation. More than I would expect for a RIS. Not necessarily bad with the beer, but think its a little high for the style. Must be hard to control at 13%

D- Completely ridiculous. At 13% this should be illegal. No heat at all. Very enjoyable. With the other flavors you don't have to be sitting in front of fire to enjoy this one.

4.79/5  rDev +13%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Look: Extremely dark brown with a slight reddish tint; virtually black in color in the glass with no light seen through the beer. A rich 1-2 finger deep tan head formed when poured that dies down leaving a thick smooth layer of foam on the surface of the beer. Nice looking.

Smell: Coffee, chocolate, slightly boozy. Rich and delicious; made me want to drink the beer.

Taste: Rich and delicious. Coffee, chocolate, slightly sweet and slight grain flavor. Loved the rich, full stout flavor.

Feel: Medium to heavy; somewhat thick. Low carbonation; smooth. Just right for the type of beer; perfect.

Overall: A wonderful, rich, delicious Russian imperial stout. I loved this beer and want more. Definitely a beer to drink slowly and savor the flavor. I also liked that it comes in small bottles.
A new favorite in terms of stouts!

4.8/5  rDev +13.2%

Beautiful dark brown near black color with a huge creamy brown head on top that sits around forever. Excellent lacing. A barely-there highlight of lighter brown.

Nose is enormous and delicious. Huge chocolate and roasted malt in there, as well as coffee. Sweet molasses and Belgian candy. Some cherries and maybe raspberries in there.

Flavor is incredible as well. I'm a huge RIS fan, and this one hits in all regards. Let me, licorice, cookies, dark chocolate, raisins. Huge roasted malt and hops leave it lightly dry towards the end and show up more as the brew warms, along with some dried fruit (flavor's a whole heck of a lot hoppier than the nose). Not a hint of booze.

Body is huge, full and creamy, coating the mouth and leaving a fantastic roasty and hoppy aftertaste. Thick and chewable, in an excellent way.

Man this is an incredible beer. All-around fantastic, one of the best brews I've ever tasted. An experience.

4.8/5  rDev +13.2%

Served in my Uprising Chalice at Novare Res' First Anniversary Party. The beer lives up to its name, it is black as night. There is a tan head that settled to a thin coating that lasted until all the beer was gone. It has a roasted malt smell that I rather enjoyed. The first thing that I noticed about the taste was a chocolaty sweetness, followed by roasted malts (of course, this could be more from the aroma than the taste) and a bit of caramel. The beer is 13% alcohol and you can taste it and feel it's warmth, but it isn't overpowering or distracting; in fact, it's quite nice. The beer has a heavy body, but is very drinkable. You don't want to consume this one too quickly, even though it is tempting. This exceptional beer should be enjoyed slowly. Seek out a bottle as soon as possible, or just head to Ebenezer's Pub and get it on tap.

4.8/5  rDev +13.2%

Cracked this open for my best friend's (belated) birthday.

Darker than dark. Probably the darkest beer I've had since my '07 Dark Lord. Very little lacing, and about a 3-4mm chocolate head.

Upon cracking the bottle the aroma hits me hard. Little bit of booze, lots of dark fruits, some chocolate hidden in there.

Taste mimicks smell. Lots of dark fruits, raisins, hint of roasted malts, plus some nice chocolate at the end. Oh, and some booze as well.

Smooth as silk. Hell of a lot of mouthfeel, but what do you expect from a 13% Belgian Royal Stout?

Overall fantastic. Definitely a top 5 all-timer, and probably top 2 for the "style" whatever that is. This honestly tastes nothing like most american "russian" imperial stouts. Fruity in the way that a quad is fruity (must be the belgian yeast strain). At any rate, seek this beer out. IMO De Struise makes better beers than Westvleteren, and they're actually relatively accessible.

4.8/5  rDev +13.2%

11.2 oz bottle poured into goblet. Batch #14; I don't see a vintage but I'm guessing 2009.

A: Pours jet black with a thin, brown head. Looks exactly how I'd expected.

S: Nose is of bitter chocolate, alcohol and astringent herbs. Very fruity w/ hints of black cherry & raspberry.

T: Quite possibly the fruitiest imperial stout I've ever tasted, and I mean that in as good a way as possible. Alcohol is pleasantly warming, chocolate/cocoa is evident but far from overpowering. Bitterness is high, almost like a fine espresso. Absolutely perfect.

M: Silky and mouth-coating. Carbonation is very low and for good reason; any more would be distracting.

D: I went to the liquor store tonight for a Chimay Blue and almost fell off my feet when I saw this beer on the shelf, and for only $10.49. Rarely do I agree that a beer truly lives up to the hype, but this is absolutely perfect and beautiful.

One of the best beers on the planet.

4.8/5  rDev +13.2%

Had this Batch 0 on tap at ebenezer's now lets try it bottled.

Batch 0 Bottle

Room Temp. Pours pitch black into a tulip. Fine bubbled sand colored head rises to the top of the glass leaving sticky sand dune looking blobs of head laced to the side of the glass as it recedes.

Smell is huge, you get sweet burnt sugar smells, some coffee cinnamon and chocolate, and the slightest hint of soy sauce.

As the taste begins you get milk and dark chocolate fighting for dominance with light coffee and malt. Then as the beer goes down you get this humidor like warming effect and aftertaste that is earthy and has some light chocolate and coffee notes.

Mouthfeel is smooth as hell, and very creamy, fine prickly carbonation adds a nice touch as does the ending warming alcohol.

At 13% the alcohol is deadly hidden and when combined with all of the other outstanding characteristics makes this extremely drinkable.

4.81/5  rDev +13.4%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

On tap at Pigs fly. 10oz pour.

A- What beer is blacker than this? The answer is none. None more black. Thin mocha head. Killer lacing.

S- Tons of coffee and chocolate. Slight booze. Malts and hops galore.

T- coffee, chocolate, booze, hops. So well balanced.

M- thick and clean, but too vicous. Slight booze warmth.

O- one of the best RIS I've had.

4.81/5  rDev +13.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Thanks to Bob for bringing this. We compared this Batch 0 Black Albert side by side with Kabert.

Inky black with hardly any light coming through. Tan head that lasted quite a while. Huge aromas of dried fruit of the prune and currant type with lots of velvety smooth cream, chocolate, and espresso. A touch of biscuit starts off the palate and quickly becomes the aforementioned fruit and finishes with the burnt toast and espresso. Huge and rich body with subtle carbonation. When compared with Kabert, I think this beer is more expressive for sure. A lot more of the dark fruit flavor here than I expected and certainly more fruit flavor than Kabert, which was also a surprise. Delicious.

4.82/5  rDev +13.7%

11.2 oz. bottle into a Brooklyn tulip. I think this bottle was around $10, but at the time I didn't know if and / or when I'd see it again, so I figured I'd snag one. Also, I'm moving to NY in about 10 days, and I'm certainly not traveling with this for fear of obvious breakage, so here we go.

Appearance: Pretty much opaque on all accounts. Hugely billowing mocha-colored head, with a dense, rock candy-like dissipating, slowly leaving some sheets of lacing on the glass. Not the best rounds of lacing ever-clinging, but it takes a ton of time for the head to dissipate, releasing some pretty heady aromas.

Smell: This is a wild and beautiful anomaly, and you can immediately tell the quality of this brew. Rich ripe strawberries backed by cocoa powder, dark mocha, burnt chocolate and charred roasted malts, tar, a bit of wood, and what I like to think of as an almost wild yeast strain, adding an amazingly heady sense of funk to the whole thing. More barnyard and earth than medicinal. Yet I also get more fruit as it warms, some ripe citrus and cherries, and a rich caramel-vanilla combination, almost like caramel-drizzled apple cake, with some sour apple skin, maybe granny smith, going on.

Taste: First off: the balance between the sweetness and sourness and bitterness here at the finish is wonderful and rich and complex and one of the best I've ever found in a brew. Though that's just the start, I suppose it, even though technically it's the end. And the balance between the sweetness of the ripe fruit and somehow juicy citrus is complimented by the nuanced, and somehow subtle, charred assault of tar, blackened malts, black coffee, and dark chocolate. Just absolutely incredible, and probably, as far as taste goes for a beer, in my top 10. Tons of luscious 2-cream-and-2-sugar coffee, while maintaining the bitterness, with the juiciness of orange and strawberry in there, and again, somehow everything mingles so well. Rather than an over-the-top-RIS like many American versions, this one puts the stamp on quality, because there's a wealth of riches going on, all of it somewhat unbelievable as I keep drinking, since I've never really had a brew like this in my entire life in some ways.

Mouthfeel: Rich and viscous and heavy and not cloying at all. Nuance nuance nuance. Thick and rich as all hell, but there maintains a litheness to the carbonation that for a 13% ABV brew is astounding. Velvety and fantastic.

Drinkability: This was tough for me, because it's one of the most expensive beers for the amount in the bottle that I've ever purchased, but it's been one of the best experiences I've ever had with a beer, through and through. Huge alcohol, almost indiscernible at every angle, balance with the subtleties of flavor and complexity that seem almost unparalleled to me in most other beers. This is definitely worth the $10-ish price tag, especially if you're looking for something worth that price, because more and more often I'm finding I'm not displeased as much as maybe very slightly disappointed with the price to quality ratio these days. Here? Not at all.

4.82/5  rDev +13.7%

Thick black beer with some tan hues. Large fizzy brown colored head. Lot's of carbonation. The bottled spewed all over my floor when I opened it. Smells of dark chocolate, coffee, and bananna. The combination smells much better than it sounds. The flavor is very rich and complex without being too strong. In fact it's the smoothness of the beer that impresses me the most. Dark chocolate, black coffee, Belgian yeast flavors with some tropical fruit like hoppiness. The mouthfeel is thick yet velvety smooth with lot's of carbonation. Great beer. Worth the price imo.

4.82/5  rDev +13.7%

This Black Albert was cellared for over 4 years, bought in Brugge, Belgium at the De Struise Shop in town.

L: Oil color, with a very dark brown head that quickly dissipated. Very fine bubbles of carbonation rapidly rose from the center of the brew in its appropriate DSB ostrich glass.
S: Slightly alcohol laden aroma, with heavy ripe fruity overtones.
T: Burnt malt and slight hop flavors smack you in the tongue and perfectly balance the sweetness as this Belgian Royal Stout slides over the tongue. Complex as all get out.
F: Slick, smooth and oily...powerful alcohol pricks on the back of the tongue as it is quaffed.
O: It is an over the top, perfectly enjoyable, world-class example of a Russian Imperial Stout. 4 years in the bottle made this as good as it can get.

Sampled on draft at Ebenezer's Pub:

Dark brown, approaching black in color. Opaque. Off-white head of tiny bubbles recedes quickly into darkness.

Nose of Belgian dark chocolate, vanilla, and toasted almonds. Some woodiness and oaklike tannins present. It smells almost bourbony although I know it is not barrel-aged.

The first sip is smooth and chocolatey just as suggested in the aroma. Vanilla, coconut, and roasted barley meld together nicely. Some fusels due to presence of high alcohol. Vinuous legs. Nice notes of oxidation and dried fruit. Dry roasted espresso beans in the finish.

A subtle, complex, and refined Imperial Stout. The only thing Belgian about it is the brewers. No phenols or funkiness.

Cheers to Ebenezer's and De Struise for this fantastic and delicious collaboration! The only complaint I have is that I wish I had a bottle to take home and savor by a crackling fire.

Yet another stout from Thanksgiving '09

From notes:

Very dark, slight head

Dark chocolate, cherry, bittersweet chocolate, molasses, at 13% its ABV is fairly well hidden.

Both dark and bittersweet chocolates, currants, and there is the alcohol tap dancing on my temples.

Very nice.

I could drink this 'til I dropped!

4.83/5  rDev +13.9%

Edit: This review ONLY applies to Black Albert had on tap. Out of the bottle it is entirely different and not deserving of the lofty numbers in this review.

What can I say that hasn't already been said...

First off this is most definitely NOT a Russian Imperial Stout that someone just decided to call a Belgian stout just cause it is brewed in Belgium. It is clearly a different breed of beer with it's own individual characteristics. The most similar beer that I have had (and I am by no means an authority on the subject) is the Russian River Salvation. They have an extremely similar flavor while each provides a different presentation.

Appearance: midnight black with .75" of dark tan head, a crimson intermingling of the beer and the head shows as the beer sloshes around the glass

Smell: I enjoyed the smell, I found it to be earthy with hints of what I would expect from a belgian strong dark. I have a terrible sense of smell and this is my least reliable rating category.

Taste: Just fantastic. Honesty, I enjoyed the taste too much to sit there breaking down the deferent aspects. It was complex and dark, a little boozy and warming, but WITHOUT the bitter coffee and sugary molasses you would expect in other "Imperial" stouts.

Mouthfeel: Pleasant carbonation with a lovely full stout body that steered clear of being cloyingly thick

Drinkability: Impressive for a beer with that kind of ABV to go down so smoothly. I have had a lot of beers that were astonishingly smooth for their ABV but I think this one is right up there with the very best of them.

All in all I am already looking forward to my next trip to Maine and another taste of this fine beer.

Poured into my Westvleteren Chalice

A - Pours a beautiful thick black oily appearance with a tight bubbled tanned head that does not reduce at all/

S - So many different aromas of roastyness vanilla, coffee etc

T - Immense flavours of chocolate, coffee, bread , yeast, smokey roast (Just a little)

M - Fuller than full body with pewrfect carbonation.

D - Every now and then you come across a beer that is hard to fault ... This is one of those. We need a Belgian Royal Stout Category as well because this beer is in a league of it's own.

4.83/5  rDev +13.9%

Autumnaldave and I were drinking this on tap at the Lisle Bavarian Lodge. We decided that it had the elegant body of a tripel. The guy next to us detected some cellar notes, but I drank mine too quickly to pick it up. It combines a complex flavor profile with shocking drinkability.

4.83/5  rDev +13.9%

P: 4.5 - 12oz brown glass bottle. Black Albert. Royal Belgian Stout. Gold Crown. Imported by Horizon Wines of Canada.

A: Dark cola black/brown with big starbucks frap foam head. Good legs, lace, and sheets.

S: Vinous, and big with chocolate, coffee, roasted malts, dark fruits, and more.

T: Big and bolshy with big dark fruit, roasted malts, chocolate, coffee, and more.

M: Mouthfeel is a bit thin for a beer of this level, but honestly it makes the drinkability that much better.

D: SUPER drinkable for the 13%ABV that this one yields....A real achievement in the brewing arts.

O: I'm thinking 4.7 material here. Big bolshy Belgian Imperial Stout....NIIICCCCEEEE

4.84/5  rDev +14.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Was able to taste one in May 2015 at Ebenezer's pub. Thanks Chris. It was one of the best beers i have ever drank. I will leave the reviews to the others.

4.85/5  rDev +14.4%

I was lucky enough to get this off the tap at Ebanezer's Belgian beer fest.

Great jet black color. The head looked like the crema on a good shot of espresso.... a thin layer of brownish foam. It had a wonderful oder of sweet chocolate

There is so much going on with this beer. Roasted malts, coffee and chocolate notes. The finish was superb. Unlike some of the other high powered stouts this one did not stick in your mouth. In fact I had no problem transitioning to a Lou Pepe as my next glass. Truly a hand crafted beer. Very drinkable also as despite it's 13% alcohol content went down real smooth. A sipping beer for sure.

Definitely recommended.... If you can get it. I wish I could get a bottle or two to age or maybe a barrel aged version would be nice. I have a hunch that this gem would be even better with age.

4.85/5  rDev +14.4%

Many thanks go out to bgramer for the chance to try this beer.

I poured this into a chalice with a little too much vigor at first and I had to wait for a few minutes for the head to die down to pour the rest. The color was absolutely black with a fluffy mocha colored head. Pretty much one of the darkest beers I've seen with only a very slight hint of ruby around the edges when held up to the light.

This does indeed smell almost exactly like a mix of a quadrupel and imperial stout. Tons of prunes, raisins and dark fruits from the quad side and a bitter roasty, chocolate, coffee edge from the imperial stout side. I also get some breadiness, yeast, and a bit of brown sugar.

The smell was great but nothing can quite live up to this taste. As someone said a review or two before me it is almost too much to comprehend. If there was a bit more of the imperial stout in the smell it sort of fades to the back in the taste. It begins very quad-like with tons of ripe dark fruits and chocolate with a sweet belgian yeastiness and bread. Then in the middle of the taste I get an amazing tart-like vinous taste that just overpowers my palate. It finally ends with quite a bit of bitter roastiness and coffee along with some more dark chocolate that just lingers on my tongue for minutes after each sip.

The mouthfeel is so silky smooth and there is hardly any notice of the alcohol for a beer at 13% ABV. Silky smooth, pleasantly carbonated, tingly across my palate.

Aside from the high ABV this one is just stellar. One of the best of beers I have had and definitely not easily classified into a style. As others have said this is one that is definitely worth the hype and one that you should seek out. The first and last thing that came to mind with this beer was the just "wow." Thanks again to bgramer for the chance to try this one.

4.85/5  rDev +14.4%

Poured at Ebenezer's Pub during the 3rd annual Belgium Fest, into a commemorative snifter. I was fortunate enough to sample this beer with Chris and the brewers from De Struise on both Tuesday and Wednesday nights, as well as at its official unveiling Thursday night. This was a truly amazing experience, so without further ado:

It poured as black as night and as thick as molasses, with a 1-1.5" thick, creamy brown head that lasted for quite some time. Once the head dissipated, it left beautiful lacing around the entire snifter. When held up, not the slightest bit of light could be seen through the glass. Absolutely beautiful.

Wow! The most incredible, powerful nose of chocolate, dark roasted coffee beans and molasses, with a very noticeable floral hop aroma.

The taste as well is dominated by dark chocolate and coffee right up front, followed by roasted malts with just a hint of dark red wine fruits sneaking in the background. A definite and pronounced hop presence with a remarkably long, dry finish. For such a strong beer, the alcohol is well hidden behind the complexities of its taste, but it warms you and stays with you for some time after your sip is over. Like the guys from De Struise said, it tattoos you from the inside.

The mouthfeel is a bit thick and heavy to say the least, but it is perfectly carbonated which keeps everything nicely balanced and makes it go down oh so smooth.

Very easily drinkable, despite the high alcohol content. This is one to be savored very slowly, though, letting the strength of the brew warm your entire body.

I cherish the glasses that I was fortunate to enjoy this week, and I thank Chris and Jen, as well as Carlo and Urbain from De Struise, for providing us with this incredible experience.

4.85/5  rDev +14.4%

here is the review i am providing for black albert! i have got to tell you that it is true, being a beer advocate pays off. jen told me they were not serving black albert due to its depleted stock, but i got some on the condition that i would rate this beverage on the beer advocate. a wonderful world we live in, eh?

the beer is dark, i am talking shut the car lights off on a moonless back road in the middle of no where dark. the smell is very subtle, i got a lot of chocolate, a hint of hops and a nice malt touch. there was a slight tartness up front without an overpowering presence of alcohol. the middle has some hop flavor and a very slight a hint of cherries, finishing with a good grain flavors. the mouthfeel is one of the best i have had.

DAMN! this is one good beer. I only had a taste and can't wait to get back for a normal sized serving. In fact even thought the tap list is one of the best i have seen, i would get this beer every time i went to ebenezer's (and i definitely plan on going back).

4.87/5  rDev +14.9%

11.2 oz. bottle batch #14 13% 100 IBU's

Very dark brown with very little light getting through. The head is crazy, thick, creamy and smooth look, dark khaki color, lively but dense, amazing retention strength and plenty of sticky brown lace to enjoy visually.

The aroma is delectible! Soft, thick chocolate, cocoa nibs, graham crackers, hot cocoa with mini marshmellow's, subtle and very hearty herbal hops, dry and earthy notes from hops and yeast. Herbal heat tingle, sun-dried wheat and corn fields with some strawberry rhubarb pie included. Very unique and rich aroma.

The first sip = Mindblowing. Megaton complexity, the yeast used is totally rightous stuff, earthy, hearty notes come together with the dry, subtle herbal hops that make good balance for the massive attack of malty flavor's. Copious amounts chunky roastie chocolate, bitter-herbal graham crackers with a dry-rye effect. The smooth chocolate and vanilla current with a subtle but obvious black berry, dark fruit sweetness in the back. French roast coffee comes from the semi-bitter, earthy hops and roastie edge to the malt. The feel is just as complex as the flavor's, lot's of life and zip but a huge, smooth, full on creamy feel to, a perfect blend of Belgian-feel and hefty RIS beefiness. a long and lucious, dry at first then smooth finish is icing on the cake!!

I thought I might've been going crazy to pay $10.95 for 11.2 oz's but with a beer this rightous, i have no guilt. A beautiful and beastie brew for the ages!

Black Albert from De Struise Brouwers