1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Black Albert - De Struise Brouwers

Black AlbertBlack Albert

De Struise Brouwers visit their website

Russian Imperial Stout |  13.00% ABV

Originally brewed exclusively for Ebenezer's Pub in Lovell, ME.

(Beer added by: brewandbbq on 08-23-2007)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Black Albert Alström Bros
Ratings: 1,406 | Reviews: 803 | Show All Ratings:
pdxwhisky

Oregon

3.48/5  rDev -17.9%

On tap at Belmont Station.

Looks great in a (correct) chimay tulip glass. Nice nose, good lacing. But then the taste - wow, much thinner than I anticipated. Very little aftertaste, and thin mouthfeel.

For 8.50 for 30cl, my expectations were not met.

Not a true RIS, but a "Belgian Imperial Stout".

Won't pay that much for this again.

02-10-2009 03:43:37 | More by pdxwhisky
BeefTongue

Missouri

4.47/5  rDev +5.4%

The beer yielded a beautiful, frothy two-finger head with an amber/butterscotch hue; the lacing held for a while and made the sides of the glass appeared frosted and shimmery. True to its name, Black Albert remains black in appearance even when held to light, making for an appealing contrast to the colorful head. The smell was sweet with a smoky aroma and scents roasted malt and coffee that manifest also in the flavor. Tasting was a delight; not only was the mouth feel thick and velvety, but all flavors seemed to compliment each other very well. The balance was superb, and at 13% ABV the alcohol is relatively hidden amongst the other flavors. One can tell immediately that this is a big beer, but "booziness" does not permeate (not to say that this isn't sometimes enjoyable in other heavy beers) the other flavors. I could drink a lot of these; they're delicious! However, at ~nine bucks per 12oz. bottle, this beer is a bit out of my sessionable price range. I would buy again for a special occasion, hands down. A definite must-try for fans of the imperial stout or darker/heavier beers in general.

03-26-2009 03:54:19 | More by BeefTongue
csais75

France

4.75/5  rDev +12%

If you like bitter chocolate, coffee (the real one) and beer, this one is for you. A masterpiece from the Struise brothers. A Strong but drinkable one, with unforgettable flavor. An ocean of coffee with bitter chocolate islands on it. A powerful taste hits you. It remains on your mouth like a dark kiss.

01-01-2010 11:22:37 | More by csais75
Altenor

4.33/5  rDev +2.1%

A: Dark, almost totally black with a chocolately head that dissipates fairly quick. No signs of lacing on the sides of the glass but good looking RIS nontheless.

S: Black cherries, chocolate powder, raisins, some gooey dates, light booze and a touch of funk. Enjoyed the smell quite a lot. It was sweet smelling and welcoming. Couldn't wait to try my first sip.

T: Lots of sweet dark fruits, molasses, a touch of vanilla and nutmeg. Very round and a long, long chocolate milkshake finish. I don't know why but I get a little of a marshmallow taste as well. So yes, it's sweet. A touch of roasted malt and caramel is present too. I just have one question, where's the 13% ABV? It goes down so easy, a little too easy for 13% which makes it dangerous.

M: Good carbonation in the palate gives it a creamy, silky mouthfeel. I wouldn't say it's full bodied, more medium that moves quite nicely and full of flavor.

O: A great beer. I was expecting a lot from it and don't know if it really lived up to the hype, but it is well made and full of flavor. Definetly would recommend, especially if you prefer sweeter stouts.

09-11-2012 06:58:28 | More by Altenor
Sesmu

4.75/5  rDev +12%

Notes from 07/04/2009
A: Dirty-snow head, 3/4 of an inch. Black color that reveals some brown when brought to light.

S: immediately after pouring the smell is very week, but gradually it unfolds first into roasted coffee and then into sweet chocolaty presence, some distant floral notes.

T/M: definitely chocolate, sweet and bitter at the same time, roasted coffee, perhaps molasses, bitterness is very subtle - how do you hide 100 IBU so well? - it's there, but sort of comes from a distance.

Maybe a bottle version differs from a tapped one, but I wouldn't say the beer is very thick. It's not thin by any means, full bodied, but I wouldn't say that thickness is one of its stand-out features. Balanced really nicely and 13% abv? - I would never guess, so well hidden. Definitely needs some time in the glass to open up completely; the longer it sits in the glass the more complex and pleasant it becomes. And the alcohol starts to show with its warm... or maybe it's just because I'm nearing the end of the bottle and 13% abv start to make its presence noticeable.

It's my second sampling of De Struise's brew (Tjesuus being the other one) and what can I say, seems like this brewery can't miss. Highly recommended.

07-19-2011 03:54:42 | More by Sesmu
YaKnowBrady

4.6/5  rDev +8.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

From an 11.2 oz bottle, 2009 vintage.

There's no secret why they call this Black Albert. No light penetration, even when held up to a 120 watt bulb. Cap comes off easy, with little expression of bottled up gases. Pours a syrupy cascade, with little head development.

Smells of raisins and booze. You get the alcohol right up front, so there's no secrets here. You're gonna feel it. A bit of graham cracker maltiness, and sweet, dark fruits.

You taste the alcohol in here, but not in a bad way at all. Like sipping a good scotch, although this is better, and burns way less going down. Similar to the scent, you get a lot of fruits and cocoa, coffee, and bran.

Overall, one of the best stouts out there, IMHO. I will always keep an eye out for more, and will eventually see how the ones I have are aging from year to year, Probably only gets better.

05-17-2011 12:48:25 | More by YaKnowBrady
milwaukeeclassic

4.9/5  rDev +15.6%

Had this one a while ago, on tap at Erasmus in Brugge in early March 2008. I agree with some earlier reviewers that this is not as heavy as some imperial stouts I've had. I remember that there was tremendous head retention. Coffee notes in the aroma and the taste. Great satin mouthfeel. The alcohol level was not overly (negatively) noticeable. I can't wait until I can get more of this back at home.

06-04-2008 02:46:27 | More by milwaukeeclassic
slowhead

4.35/5  rDev +2.6%

I picked up a few of these at De Bierkoning in Amsterdam.

A-Black as night; opaque with an off-white collar of foam. Nice head retention.

S-Initial aroma of dark, dried figs with a tinge of alcohol. No roast in the nose and no hops.

T-Starts sweet with a slight roast character. Fruit flavors of green apple, pear, raisins, and plum. Some earthy and coffee-like flavors in the background. The lack of roast, which is predictable in the RIS style leads me to believe that they are probably using a de-husked black malt such as carafa, or possibly even Sinimar. No hop flavor, but tons of bitterness. Finishes dry.

M-High carbonation. Medium bodied, with some alcohol warming.

D-Very drinkable for the gravity on this one. This beer is different. One cannot jump into this one thinking of it as an RIS...it's definitely not.

10-20-2008 23:36:49 | More by slowhead
palmer69

United Kingdom (England)

4.55/5  rDev +7.3%

AWSOME... poured jet black with a 2in. head out of the small bottle,

Smell is of very strong alcohol, with a mini coffee smell that is almost drowned out by the alcohol.

taste is great, very chocolatey/ minimal coffee, and a warm alcohol sensation on the back of the tounge. Being as I love a stout with little to no carbination (like guinness(which is my favorite stout)) this one would have easily surpassed guinness with less carbination. But the carbination isn't over whelming. when you finish it there was a thick chocolatyness left on the bottom of the cup, like after you drink hot chocolate.

This stuff was delicious. I have six other bottles that I'm ageing in my celler I think that it will be awsome with some age behind it, but we'll see.

12-28-2008 12:40:18 | More by palmer69
microwavabledish

Alberta (Canada)

3.5/5  rDev -17.5%

Poured into a Tulip, its black as pitch, even when held up to light. Poured nicely with a rocky/fluffy two finger high, mocha colored head. Looks delicious.

The nose is a boozy, roasty smell with a hint of coffee and dark molasses and some dark dark cherry.

The taste is slightly fruity, with some major roast character. As it warms it gets nice and sweet, with a lingering alcohol in the back of the throat.

The mouthfeel, while thinner than other RIS's is still substantial enough to be in style. The carbonation is low and it goes down quite easily.

Notes: Really good on a cold night with some hearty food and a light sweet dessert. Drinkability is a 3 because while one of these goes down quite handily over an hour, having a second one is just about out of the question considering that its 13% abv.

12-11-2010 01:52:26 | More by microwavabledish
sherm1016

4.1/5  rDev -3.3%

33cl bottle, Batch "0", ordered from the Struise Yeast Shop. Pours a jet black with a huge tan head that recedes after a few minutes. Aroma is roasted malt, chocolate, coffee, and a little alcohol. A bit heavy on the palate with average carbonation. Flavor is roasted malt, chocolate, and a little bit of hops. The alcohol is very well hidden in this beer. This bottle is pretty fresh, but I think it would be better with a bit of age on it.

02-11-2011 02:20:55 | More by sherm1016
DanielRP

Sweden

3.8/5  rDev -10.4%

Bottle from Systembolaget, Sweden. "Batch '0'". Not cellared after picking it up from the store. Served in a snifter.

Appearance: A good fizz when the bottle was opened, indicating lots of carbonation. Dark as night. A big pillar of light brown foam rises upon the beer hitting the glass.

Smell: Noticed it from half a meter after opening the bottle. Strange, not a "typical" stout, but one shouldn't expect it either. I'd say that I find a classic Belgian yeast smell, but I don't know if I'd picked it up as such if it hadn't had "Belgian" written all over it. A faint sour touch, nice. Also the familiar "dark fruit" smell.

Taste: Where did the sourness go? Where did the Belgian style go? Very lightly hopped. Coffee is noticeable. It is very polite at first, and doesn't really fade or strengthen, but lingers for a long time. A bit of spiky alcohol can be found directly when it goes down, after that it disappears and the musty dark and roasted sensation takes over.

Mouthfeel: Not robust creamy like some of the "killer" examples in the class, but OK. Carbonated aptly. A bit of the before promised sourness can be forced through, but I would gladly take a lot more.

Drinkability: Easily downed, which is impressive, but for a 13% abv beer, that's not really what I'm looking for. Maybe the American style hop monsters have deafened me, but this is a bit too bland for me to add to my list of regulars, especially with the high alcohol trade-off.

I went in to this beer with the highest of expectations. "Belgian Royal Stout" - sounds great, I imagine a tough, dark stout with the classic Belgian sweet&sour blend. I didn't get that, instead I'm sitting with a very decent stout, towards the coffee style. Not bad, but not what I hoped for, and, for me at least, not really up to the price of the bottle. Don't get me wrong, it's a good beer, but price and expectation factors disappoint me.

I have another bottle that I will let sit for a while. Can't really see that it will go to a personally more enjoyable place beer-wise, but I'll take my chances.

04-24-2011 00:44:13 | More by DanielRP
datamike

3.53/5  rDev -16.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Great aroma with some fruity esters and a bit or roastiness. No Belgian phenolics though.

The taste is good; complex, raisiny, fruity, moderate roast level, bitter chocolate. Definitely some aspects of age here - sherry-like notes of oxidation. Nothing special here though. Either of Southern Tiers Imperial stouts (choklat, oatmeal) is superior in every way.

The real problem here is that there is nothing "Belgian" about this beer.

A decent beer, but severely over-hyped and overrated in my opinion....

01-18-2009 00:50:36 | More by datamike
ZiggyStarbuck

4.1/5  rDev -3.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Bottle bought over thanksgiving break while on vacation to South Carolina. Thanks to numerous BA's for steering me toward the Charleston Beer Exchange.

Appearance: Almost black, with a dark brown head that dissipated quickly leaving little to no lacing. A normal looking stout.

Smell: Whoa, this is intense. First thing I noticed was the intense Chocolate/Anise/Licorice aroma mixed with the fruitiness usually associated with strong belgian beers, but no surprise there, as it is exactly what I was expecting.

Taste: Fairly similar to the nose, though not quite as intense as the aroma would lead you to believe. This is a good stout.

Mouthfeel: Thin for a stout with low carbonation. Not bad and it doesn't detract from the flavor, but It leaves more to be desired.

Drinkability: As expected from a 13% stout this is not a beer to be drank in mass quantity. That being said it goes down smooth.

Overall, I would recommend it to anyone who loves Imperial Stouts and Belgian beers.

03-16-2011 05:39:27 | More by ZiggyStarbuck
smchenry75

Indiana

4.7/5  rDev +10.8%

Very excited to try my first Struise. Thanks to aasher for the hookup! A big thick stout just seemed to fit the bill for sitting in the driveway on this humid 89 degree Indiana evening.

Pours a very viscous, dark impenetrable black with a nice fluffy 3 finger mocha color head. Drinking out of "old faithful" my New Belgium snifter. Head dissipates very slowly. Can't wait to take my first sip as I watch the large bubbles pop in this
sea of chocolate lava.

I shoo away the small spider that trying to climb up my glass as I get ready for my first taste.... sorry buddy, this stuff's a tad
too pricey to share. First taste is of rich chocolate with a bit of a sour cherry twang. Tastes a tad bit like a cold chocolate covered cherry... creamy and velvety.

The little spider goes for it again and is equalized. Okay, now the cherry twang is coming through a tad stronger. Don't get me wrong, this is a very good thing. I'm now entering the second half of this what is so far a great experience. Crap, interrupted by the neighbor... listen to long, drawn out story. On the bright side, gives beer a chance to warm a bit. There's still a bit of mocha head floating around like some chocolatey pond funk and the lacing is really solid. By the way, no detectable alchol taste in this 13% velvety drink at all.

As I enter the final 3rd of the journey, the alcohol is starting to kick a bit I'm considering simply inhaling this beer. Need to check and see if this beer is barrel aged as I'm detecting slight notes of bourbon. Reminds me a tad of the barrel aged total eclipse I had from Foothills a while back.

In the final sips, the chocolate is getting darker and more intense and a hint of earthy bitterness is creeping in but I would not consider this to be a hoppy stout by any stretch.
Overall, I have to say this is a very solid and well balanced beer. Not sure I should have made it my first of the night though in
terms of the 13% ABV and the fact that it's going to be hard for anything else I open tonight to live up to this.

08-20-2011 15:38:25 | More by smchenry75
stmartinpale

Maine

On tap at Ebenezers in a commemorative glass

A- Pours a huge coffee colored head that collapses into itself leaving lace everywhere. Black certainly describes the color

S- coffee, chocolate and vanilla
A real treat to the nose

T- The aroma continues into the mouth, with an Huge finish lasting almost
forever. I think I can still taste it this morning.

M- Very soft and complex.

D- I loved it. I want some more now.
Even at 13% abv, alcohol was barely detectable.

08-24-2007 15:04:29 | More by stmartinpale
kaos14

4.85/5  rDev +14.4%

Edit: This review ONLY applies to Black Albert had on tap. Out of the bottle it is entirely different and not deserving of the lofty numbers in this review.
---

What can I say that hasn't already been said...

First off this is most definitely NOT a Russian Imperial Stout that someone just decided to call a Belgian stout just cause it is brewed in Belgium. It is clearly a different breed of beer with it's own individual characteristics. The most similar beer that I have had (and I am by no means an authority on the subject) is the Russian River Salvation. They have an extremely similar flavor while each provides a different presentation.

Appearance: midnight black with .75" of dark tan head, a crimson intermingling of the beer and the head shows as the beer sloshes around the glass

Smell: I enjoyed the smell, I found it to be earthy with hints of what I would expect from a belgian strong dark. I have a terrible sense of smell and this is my least reliable rating category.

Taste: Just fantastic. Honesty, I enjoyed the taste too much to sit there breaking down the deferent aspects. It was complex and dark, a little boozy and warming, but WITHOUT the bitter coffee and sugary molasses you would expect in other "Imperial" stouts.

Mouthfeel: Pleasant carbonation with a lovely full stout body that steered clear of being cloyingly thick

Drinkability: Impressive for a beer with that kind of ABV to go down so smoothly. I have had a lot of beers that were astonishingly smooth for their ABV but I think this one is right up there with the very best of them.

All in all I am already looking forward to my next trip to Maine and another taste of this fine beer.

01-11-2008 02:40:43 | More by kaos14
Laxadaisical

4.69/5  rDev +10.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Picked up a bottle at Johnny's Off License in Rome.

Appearance: Pours a deep, deep brown to black, completely opaque. This is a dark beast, capped with a nice, fluffy mocha head. The head actually sticks around quite well, and really sticks to the glass.

Aroma: Leads with bold roast flavors, definitely some dark chocolate and maybe a bit of coffee. There is some spice in there, as well as dark fruit, like a BSDA. Nose somehow balances the roast and the Belgian dark flavors.

Taste: Hot damn. This is a bold, ambitious beer. It actually leads with a real BSDA type taste, heavy on the dark fruits, but also some more tart flavors like cherry. Some molasses, Belgian candy and yeast type sweetness, even some vanilla and light spice. This transitions flawlessly into the roastier characters, with some dark roasted notes, dark chocolate, coffee, and even some smokiness, reminiscent slightly of a bacony Schlenkerla, but not quite as strong. There's no distinct difference between these sets of flavors, they come in at slightly different times, but the styles blend together flawlessly. I could really only taste a little booze when it warmed up, but even then it was hardly noticeable at all, quite a feat for 13%.

Mouthfeel: Nice and full, rich mouthfeel and moderate carbonation. This thing fills your mouth and coats it, but the carbonation keeps it moving around the palate a bit.

Overall: This beer is the lovechild of an imperial stout and a BSDA, and it is beautiful. Manages to be powerful, complex, and assertive in its flavors, but absolutely balanced at the same time. This beer is so damn near perfect in my mind. It's a well executed work of art, not to mention a combination of two of my favorite styles. I must say this is one of my favorite beers of all time, and I'd drink it again in a heartbeat.

11-14-2013 19:50:26 | More by Laxadaisical
rbridges01

4.38/5  rDev +3.3%

Poured into a snifter at cellar tempature

A- Dark black with a carmel brown head that lingered for most of th tasting. Nice legs on the glass.

S - Coffee smell witha bit of alcchol.

T - Chocolate with the hops coming through rather easily. Hint's of orange peel with a nice finish on the back of the tounge.

M - Nisce smooth feel on tounge and back of throat.

D - Very easy to drink.

01-13-2010 23:06:28 | More by rbridges01
Bmcg266

4.78/5  rDev +12.7%

Perhaps my palate has been dulled from drinking simpler times all night, but this is a fantastic Imperial Stout, nd the best Belgian Imperial Stout I've ever had.

Appearance: Black, Black, Black. Even Held up to the light all you can see is black. Head is a light mocha color, a bit lighter than most Imperial Stouts.

Smell: Dark fruits and alcohol. Raisins, figs, etc. etc. A slight alcohol burn to the smell, yet the sweetness of the raisin smell overshadows it nicely.

Taste: Amazing. Smokey Roastiness first hits the palate, then the dark fruits, from sugar sweetness, and a bit of an alcohol bite, yet nothing compared to what I'd expect from a 13% abv. beer.

Mouthfeel: Smooth, Velvety, delicious. A lot like an oatmeal stout, yet a little less "creamy". A little bit too thin for my preference in Imperial Stouts, yet smooth and delicious regardless.

Drinkability: Fantastic. Never before have I had a beer with such a high abv. to drinkability ratio. Absolutely amazing. If it weren't so damn expensive I'd drink this all the time.

Overall: Perfect, except for the mouthfeel. Seeing as this is the only "Royal" belgian stout i've had/heard of this is purely amazing. Highly reccomended. If you see this, pick it up. It's worth a try, even at 10.95 a 12 oz.

02-04-2011 03:46:44 | More by Bmcg266
kwakhead

4.7/5  rDev +10.8%

I feel very fortunate to be sitting along side the folks from De Struise Brouwers,Chris and Jen for the official unveiling of this long anticipated brew. Chris and I sampled a few glasses before the Official unvieling and I couldn't wait for the next one I could get my hands on.Served in an Ebenezers 3rd Annual goblet this stout is very dark in appearance with a slight head,smells just as good as it tastes,chocolate,mollasses,leather?and hops.Ithas an almost syrupy mouth feel which is maybe why it goes down so well.At 13 percent and being very drinkable this is a dangerous concoction,Ican't wait to try the 3 liter bottle Chris has been carrying around like a baby the past three nights.

08-23-2007 21:21:24 | More by kwakhead
WoodyOBeer

I was up in New England for vacation over the Holidays and made a point of going to my favorite “beer bar”…Ebenezer’s…in Lovell, Maine. While there, I had the honor of trying one of the best beers I have ever tasted. For the past 14 years I have sampled over 3000 beers. Because I had developed my own rating system long before I even knew about BeerAdvocate.com or RateBeer.com, I do not post my ratings on either site (it would be like keeping 2 sets of books). But “Black Albert” impressed me so very much that I felt that I had to let everyone know how truly amazing it is! With over 3000 beers tasted & rated, I have only ever tasted 3 to which I would give a perfect score…and this is without question, the best of those 3!

By coincidence, I had just held a Stout tasting event the night before. Among the beers we sampled were some of the best: Bell’s “Expedition”, Bell’s “Double Cream”, Bell’s “Java”, and Moylan’s “Ryan O’Sullivan’s Imperial Stout”. As great as these beers are, “Black Albert” was even better. It is the most complex stout that I have ever tried. The color is black with a light-brown, lacy head (about 1 finger). The initial smell is malty, with notes of coffee & fruits. The taste is smooth & rich (but not too creamy)…there is an initial taste of coffee, which dissipates, and later returns. The taste lingers…and changes…for a long while. While sharing this amazing beer with a few others, I heard the comment “I died and went to heaven”. I could not agree more with this. “Black Albert” was as religious of an experience, as you could ever hope (or pray) to have!

01-10-2008 00:39:08 | More by WoodyOBeer
crowellr

4.8/5  rDev +13.2%

I usually don't like darker beers, however this one definitely broke the mold. Me and a friend were at Eb's looking for different beers to try. Talking to Chris he recommended a few and then had us taste this.

Like I said, I do not like darker beers, as most are coffee flavored, and I'm not a coffee drinker. So my thoughts when trying it were not that great. The taste was perfect, lil bit of chocolate, definitely hops and just a smooth finish.

I wish I could of bought an entire bottle or even a glass, but I only got a small sample. It was however, simply the best overall beer I had ever had. I am young, not as experienced beer drinker as most, but I do live 5 miles from Eb's, so I can safetly say I have had my share of beer.

02-23-2008 01:01:10 | More by crowellr
mpetersen

4.8/5  rDev +13.2%

Trying to hold off on doing many reviews until I learn more, but this is so good I can't help myself.

A: Pitch black with a beautiful, short mocha head.

S: Not much smell at all. Traces of dark fruit, milk chocolate and booze.

T: Taste is amazing. Alcohol is extremely well hidden. Mild sweetness, Belgian yeast, dark malts, hops and chocolate. Pleasant bitter finish.

M: WOW! Rich and creamy, full bodied. Worth the experience in and by itself.

D: Extremely drinkable. Never would have guessed 13% ABV if I hadn't read it off the bottle myself. Without a doubt a truly exceptional beer.

04-25-2009 02:39:04 | More by mpetersen
TheDDO

3.94/5  rDev -7.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

11.2 oz bottle poured into a snifter.

Apperance- Dark, dark, dark beer. Pours black with a half finger head that quickly dissipates into a thin patchy coating. This thing is a beauty as it creeps down your glass.

Smell- First thing that comes to mind is black cherry, and dark fruits. A bitter chocolate smell is also present. A bit of alcohol tingles the nose.

Taste- Very smooth, this beer does not taste like a 13% beer, alcohol is well hidden. The dark fruit comes through, there is a slight bitterness in the finish perhaps from the chocolate.

Mouthfeel- Slick, rich and lightly carbonated. Coats your mouth nicely to enjoy the flavor.

Overall- I enjoyed the Black Albert, I'm glad my local store owner recommended it. Would I seek this beer out again? Probably not, but I would pick up another if our paths happen to cross again.

04-17-2014 01:43:36 | More by TheDDO