2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Struise / Mikkeller (Elliot Brew) - De Struise Brouwers

Struise / Mikkeller (Elliot Brew)Struise / Mikkeller (Elliot Brew)

De Struise Brouwers visit their website

Brewed at Deca Services, Woesten-Vleteren, Belgium.

Ingredients: Water, malt, hops, candy sugar, ale yeast and spices.

According to the brewers, this is the hoppiest beer ever brewed in Belgium.

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 10-29-2007)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
Ratings: 378 | Reviews: 281 | Show All Ratings:
alexhahn82

2.15/5  rDev -45.4%

A - 1 finger creamy head, cloudy brownish tinge of amber.

S- sweeet! No, literally, sweet. a very respectable nose of misc hops.

Taste/Mouthfeel - Mehhh. :( Watery thin viscosity. The taste does linger as stated on the label. But thats about it. 216 IBU's? This makes me wonder who tested it or how old this batch is: Bottle says: Vintage 2011 SM NO.

Overall - Meh. Meh. Meh. Don't get me wrong, a valiant attempt by the Belgians for a DIPA, but a successfully disastrous venture. Do not seek, Do not destroy.

PP (Price Point) - Unknown, a gift.

10-05-2011 02:55:26 | More by alexhahn82
Onenote81

2.42/5  rDev -38.6%

Vintage 2009.

This beer exploded with foam when I popped the cap. Poured into my glass, the head just kept rising and rising. Took a few minutes to pour the whole thing out. Great retention though, and it left beautiful sticky lace all over the glass as I sipped. Smells like toffee, caramel, and warm syrup. The citrus/pine I was expecting is absent. Huh.

The mouth was a little flat and under-carbonated. The explosion on opening may have lessened this characteristic. This is a very syrupy beer, almost chalky. The bitterness was very dull and grating, but it was big. No citrus flavors at all. Just a sugary, syrupy, weirdly bitter mess. Wow. I had huge expectations for this, but it let me down big time.

09-30-2009 14:08:40 | More by Onenote81
bobhits

Kentucky

2.55/5  rDev -35.3%

I"m assuming this is the right beer, image on beeradvocate and the bottle vary a bit and this beer is simply not named. Either way double IPA with candi sugar and spices to mix things up and brewed for some ratebeer crap. I mean yeah I mean crap.

Do you like head? Well we have your perfect beer. 3-4 inches of thick white sticky sugary head, lacing that few beers can match and a merky all be it wonderful looking IPA body.

Sugary is right, you can get a sugar high just off the aroma with aprocotes, spices, caramel, and intensely sweet sugar this is an interesting beer.

There's so much sugar here that a beer with 130 ibus only has a lingering hoppy bitterness at the very finish that lingers thanks to the body. Or maybe a beer so hoppy that it remains slightly bitter even with so much malt. Your call. Sharp alcohol and hop notes are hidden under a massive amount of sugar, caramel, fruity esters (perhaps from yeast and not hops, it is hard to tell), and well hop flavors.

Given the head I expected a rich and creamy beer. Instead it is a bit sharp and very acidic. It still is a bit ore refreshing that many 9% beer so mixed feeling here.

I really can't recommended this beer. It isn't bad and it is a HUGE beer so that might work for many, most. Either way I like and I dislike. I'd say a novelty beer that isn't awful and thus worth a shot, but don't expect too much.

03-23-2013 20:32:01 | More by bobhits
marvin213

2.6/5  rDev -34%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

After pouring this beverage into my specially designed Dogfish IPA glass, I'm looking at 3/8 glass of copper-toned beer and 5/8 glass of foam that would make Mr. Bubble envious. The head is so unbelievably thick. This was a new arrival days ago at my local spot, and I've done nothing other than put it in the fridge. It comes from a long way away, but I don't understand this head. As it settles and I add a BIT more of the liquid from the 11.2oz bottle, the head foams to beyond the rim of the glass; fortunately, it's so thick and bubbly that it doesn't even spill as it continues to sit higher than the top of the glass. The head looks like foamy shaving cream, but the beer underneath it looks pretty good.

I have some difficulty smelling the beer because there's so much gosh durn head. Directly smelling the bottle offers that candied sugar odor, reminiscent of cotton candy. This is a sweet-smelling IPA, and I notice the label says "Belgian Beer." I suppose that's more origin than style.... Unfortunately, I don't smell the grapefruit or any other hop characteristic. I smell candied sugar.

The taste is certainly unique: the initial effect is a pleasant sweetness--not nearly as overpowering as the smell suggests. The aftertaste, however, is like a rubbing alcohol. It's not like a nice kick from a powerful alcoholic beverage, but a medicinal edge that makes me react like a kid: I don't want any more medicine.

I want to credit the mild sweetness. Based on the smell, that's where I really know the hop presence exists--if it weren't for considerable hops, this would be liquid cotton candy. I can't detect what spices are present. There's something in here that really tastes like a medicine. It's like a root. I want to make a guess, so I'll guess ginseng. Yep, there's ginseng root in this here beer.

As a pour the last sip of this beverage into my glass, I'm again impressed by the foamy, creamy-thick head. It's like frothed milk on a cappuccino. When judging drinkability, there's agreement that it's vaguely how much you appreciate the overall drinking experience. When the foamy head is the most oddly impressive thing about a beer, what does that say?

08-07-2009 22:33:27 | More by marvin213
JamnesCameron

2.6/5  rDev -34%

Poured into a MJ tasting glass. Pours a slightly hazy copper with a huge, big bubbled, very light tan head of about three fingers. Head slowly drops.

Aromas of feet, yeah, feet, musky, earthy, tobacco, wet dog. What the hell is in this beer?

Flavors of earthy hop bitterness, some big malt backbone. Grassy and herbal. Finish is long and bitter.

Mouthfeel is puckering bitterness, mouthcoating bitterness. Dry. Body is medium.

Overall, flavors are better than the aroma. But to me, it's just a mess. Must be the spicing. Glad I got to try it, but won't be coming back.

04-29-2011 01:52:02 | More by JamnesCameron
BarrytheBear

Wisconsin

2.65/5  rDev -32.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

11.2 oz bottle from batch A-3-09. No idea what that means!

Pours a dark muddy orange that leans hard towards brown. Head rises to a good half inch of white then settles to a thin but nearly complete cover.

Smells of bread, sugar, and light orange. Fruity esters from the Belgian yeast are also present.

Booze and astringency is present throughout. Big doughy breadiness, some faint citrus hops, and yeast. Bitterness is firm but fair and not overpowering.

Light and dry with a yeasty blanket to wrap the proceedings.

Meh, one and done if I finish this bottle. Grappling with the price tag I had a feeling this might let me down. I'm not a big fan of Euro hop vehicles and this is no exception.

12-31-2011 23:55:45 | More by BarrytheBear
benfons

2.7/5  rDev -31.5%

Brewed for ratebeers Worldwider Master Series by the Struise Brouwers and Mikkeller at Deca Brewery in Belgium.

A: Large head which lasts long, misty amber coloured. Looks great

S: Very hoppy, a hint of fruits. Smells pretty spiced too.

T: I'm not used to this kind of beer, very very bitter. The bitterness hides most of the other flavours, i'm apparently supposed to pick up, altough i taste a hint of rock candy.

M/S Carbonation is fine, alcohol isn't really noticeable "thanks" to the bitterness

Overall I really don't like this beer, but i guess it has more to do with me and this style than the beert itself.
I'll give 2 for taste to be a bit neutral, but if I were to be completely honest I would give it less. This just isn't my cup of tea.

07-22-2009 20:24:59 | More by benfons
kojevergas

2.75/5  rDev -30.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.5

Bottle served into Struise stemware. This was the 2009 vintage, "SM No. 12". Reviewed in Belgium in Summer 2011. Reviewed from notes. I love both breweries so expectations were high.

A: Pours a one finger head of amazing cream, brilliant thickness, and incredible retention (over six minutes before I couldn't wait any longer) for the style. Semitransparent ruby colour. Incredibly appealing.

Sm: Bright light fruit esters. Very pleasant. Raspberry, cherry. A bit musty, but it's three years old. Yeasty. A moderate strength aroma.

T: Bright fruit esters - mainly raspberry. Cherry as well. Darker fruit is more buried, and likely was helped by the aging. Complex and delightful. The yeast is a bit unpleasant - I'd pour without it if possible. Adds some astringency. The alcohol comes through in the taste a bit, which is unpleasant. Sort of musty, but it aged well. Hoppy but sadly imbalanced. I expected more from this beer. Built pretty well for the style, but far from exemplary.

Mf: Coarse in the second half and even a bit dry on the finish. Smooth and wet in the open. Balances well and suits the style, but doesn't complement the general tone of the flavours in the body.

Dr: High ABV, hard to drink quickly, and at a high price by Belgian standards (6 euro). Too yeasty; I don't know if aging was a good idea. The mouthfeel spoils it. Far too coarse.

12-20-2011 02:44:27 | More by kojevergas
kingcrowing

Vermont

2.83/5  rDev -28.2%

11.2oz bottle poured into a pint glass.

Pours a cloudy dark amber/copper with a big fluffy/sticky light brown head. Nose is a bit off-putting, it's slightly medicinal and a bit hoppy with yeast dominating.

Ehh. Mouthfeel is nice, lots of sharp carbonation. However the taste is not an IIPA, it's a bit bitter sure but it's got some really funky belgian flavors here that are really throwing it off. It almost has a urine after taste to it. borderline drain pour, don't seek this out. Skip it and get a bashah.

11-22-2009 04:15:58 | More by kingcrowing
Squelch

United Kingdom (England)

2.98/5  rDev -24.4%

Appearance: hazy. Lacing. Dark brown color. doesn't look appetizing.

Smell: can't tell of anything here at all. ever so slight malt aroma. no hops.

Taste: nice flavour of hops here. good balance with the malt.

Mouthfeel: heavy. Not doesn't match the style.

Overall: Might order again but doesn't match the style very well.

08-01-2011 20:55:54 | More by Squelch
Halcyondays

3.03/5  rDev -23.1%

11.2 oz. bottle,

A: Pours a cloudy burnt orange, with a full, fluffy white head and plenty of Belgian-style lacing.

S: Ripe hops, the smell of fresh grapefruit, and sugary candy.

T: Bitter melon and pine, some cantaloupe, mixed with yeasty Belgian beer is what it tastes like. Not sure the malt really melded well with the hop character, it was just all right for me.

M: Full, but light carbonation, fairly medium-bodied, and very resiny.

D: An interesting beer collaboration, but at $8+ a bottle, I don't think I'll buy it again, but I'd drink it again.

04-13-2008 05:59:15 | More by Halcyondays
treyrab

3.05/5  rDev -22.6%

Had this tonight thanks to jac5084 and poured into two glasses...

A: Pours a very light muddy brown. Not very appealing look. It also pours with a four finger tan head. Tons of thick yeast sediment floats in the glass.

S: Very spicy hops. Smells like Hallertau or Saaz. Very floral and with some clove, skunky aromas, and spices. Not many hops.

T: Very sweet with honey, stale bread, caramel, and some spice. There is an astringent skunk aftertaste that lingers in your mouth FOREVER. Very bad aftertaste that lingers.

Overall, I'm sure this was better a bit fresher, and I'm glad I tried it, but not one of my favorites.

05-24-2009 00:39:43 | More by treyrab
bnes09

3.08/5  rDev -21.8%

Pours a deep almond color, by far the darkest IPA I have ever seen. Massive creamy colored head forms and does not go anywhere with at least a finger of froth. Foamy lacing sticks to glass all over and reminds me of shaving cream. Hazy due to the yeast and pretty much opaque.

Smell is interesting. Lots of dark fruits and molasses. Less hop than expected yet still some pine and floral notes.

Flavor is all over the place. Hops start things off with a solid soapy, pine-like punch. Dark fruit flavors of dates and raisins along with molasses sweeten things up. There is even a hint of roasted malt in the end which tastes like wheat toast and almond. Interesting combination of flavors but not true to the style.

Full bodied with a slick texture. Semi-low carbonation but this is fitting. A little on the heavy side for a DIPA.

It is interesting to see a Belgian brewer make an American style beer. Don't get me wrong, I do like this beer. It has a very complex flavor profile which is well balanced. I gave it average marks because it simply does not fit the style. It was too dark, too sweet, slightly too thick and was lacking the hop dominance and crisp, dry finish that I expect out a DIPA. That said, I still enjoyed it.

09-15-2011 03:51:13 | More by bnes09
Crosling

Colorado

3.15/5  rDev -20.1%

Bright dark orange colored beer with a large frothy, long lasting head that could only come from Belgium. Nose shows traces of fruity hops (peach, nectarine.) It's a sweet, sugary beer with a slightly diminished, but bold hop presence. Notes of peach, with a touch of lemon. Out of balance and a bit to sweet for me.

10-18-2008 14:23:54 | More by Crosling
CuriousMonk

3.18/5  rDev -19.3%

Poured from two different versions of this brew doing a side-by-side comparison into a tulip glass. Pours rusty with hazy ruby/orange highlights and a large off-white head that never goes away. Aroma is lackuster yet slightly hoppy; there’s something else to it. Plenty of grapefruit, pine, and lime, as well as dust, earth, buttered toast, and slightly spicy yeast. Flavors starts with a tangy citrus hop flavor immediately followed by caramel, toast, brown sugar, rye, and a distinct "Belgian" quality, something vinous I suppose. Finishes with toast, lime, grapefruit, and vinous yeast interplay and the earthy bitterness sticks around a while without ever tasting ashy. High carbonation, creamy mouthfeel, thick body. I was rather disappointed with this brew as I expected more.

05-18-2011 16:59:36 | More by CuriousMonk
JDV

3.25/5  rDev -17.5%

Bottle from Grbdg. Thanks for this amazing extra!
Pours a muddy brownish orange with a large and lasting white head. Smell is sweet, fruity, mildly hoppy and with a belgian yeast characteristic. Taste is hoppy with a strong belgian yeasty sweetness and spiced flavor. Much different flavor than any other DIPAs I've had. Slight hint of the 9% ABV. The hops, despite the IBUs, don't deliver the intense bitterness of many American style DIPAs. Unique, interesting beer. I enjoyed it.

04-06-2008 19:21:52 | More by JDV
Mauerhan

3.25/5  rDev -17.5%

i was looking for something to drink and review tonight so my hand landed on this.

cracked open with a loud hiss that im sure my brother heard in his room on the other side of the house.

pours a murky golden amber into my snifter. AGGRESSIVE head. a big fluffy two and a half finger head attacks my glass. leaves a thick lacing and settles down to a nice fluff of head in the middle of my glass.

smell is sweet. i pick up some spices that i cant put my finger on. lots of yeast.

taste is nothing like any other double ipa that ive had. not really sure if thats a good thing. i really dont get any hops to speak of.

a medium body, overly carbonated. very unpleasant aftertaste, i might have an old bottle.

im glad that i tried this but im not sure i will be revisiting this any time soon.

10-28-2008 06:06:35 | More by Mauerhan
mcallister

3.28/5  rDev -16.8%

An unfiltered looking amber bordering on russet color. Pours with an overly large head, creamy as hell and lasting forever leaving a thick layer of gummy lace.

Nose seems to be laid back and just lacking overall. A big spicey orange peel aroma with a dusty earthy hops and stone fruit underlying. Just lacking that standout quality that smacks you in the face nose wise.

A good solid beer. Not overly bitter but a good amount of hop punch in the middle and into the finish. Again nothing really sticks and jabs at you. Very laid back perfumey and spicey with peach and nectarine with a yeasty appeal. A little thin and big alcohol burn on the finish. A good beer but just not stand out.

03-10-2008 23:27:22 | More by mcallister
jera1350

3.3/5  rDev -16.2%

Deep amber in color with a massive head from what seems to be over-carbonation. The head is both creamy on top and soapy suds on the bottom. Plenty of lacing.

A blend of rich earthy hops with very sweet caramel and toffee malt.

Starts out extremely sweet and then moves straight into toasty and extreme bitterness which lingers as grapefruit peel into the aftertaste. The flavor kind of falls off, but the sharp bitterness carries on. A bit boozy and messy tasting.

Pretty smooth, medium-full body, earthy dryness.

A nice attempt here, but bigger is not always better, especially in the hop department. Did not do much for me and does not drink very well either.

05-03-2011 01:17:23 | More by jera1350
Cresant

Kentucky

3.33/5  rDev -15.5%

Poured this 11.2 oz. brown bottle into a Duvel glass. Lot A 03 09. The head was huge, frothy, and off-white. It left large clumps on the sides of the glass. The body was a dull apricot brown.

Smell was really fresh grains. Big maltiness. Organic matter.

Taste was malty with intense hoppiness. Rich, deep grassy bitterness and syrupy sweet grain. Big but balanced. Well hidden alcohol.

Mouthfeel was full bodied. Adequate carbonation and smooth.

02-19-2010 16:03:30 | More by Cresant
jazzyjeff13

United Kingdom (England)

3.33/5  rDev -15.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A 330ml bottle with no clear BB date. It is a 2011 vintage, with a Lot no. of 61/43/2011/THT-ACDPA 25/1/17. No idea what all that means! Picked up the other day from my local beer specialist - they've just got some Struise brews in for the first time. Also, the label makes no mention of Mikkeller - the only similarity is the background stripes that appear on some Mikkeller bottles. I guess Struise feel that they own the recipe to this collaboration brew.

Poured into a Duvel tulip. A deep, hazy reddish-amber hue with excellent carbonation. Yields a vast head of dense white foam with fantastic stability - resembles a big, creamy meringue. This slowly relaxes to a surface layer. A complex aroma of sweet malt, aromatic hops and alcohol. Notes of sugar, pine, fruity yeast, phenols and a hot boozy whiff in the background, all of which is underscored by a subtle, funky sourness.

Tastes of rich, sweet malt and bitter pine, with an astringent, alcoholic finish. Notes of caramel malt, sugar, pine resin, fruity yeast, phenols and booze. A faint vinegary sourness pervades and taints the flavour. Considerable bitterness upon swallowing, although it doesn't seem as hoppy as it should be. Mouthfeel is smooth and tingly, with good body. Quite dry and pretty astringent. Aftertaste of sour, boozy pine with hints of fruity yeast.

A giant boozy mess! What a beer - it feels like it tries too hard. Tons of malt, sugar and alcohol. The hops are certainly there - yet it's hard to tell if my experience is what the brewer intended. Notes of aromatic pine and piny bitterness are present, but neither the aroma nor flavour are as intense as the label leads you to expect. Less hoppy than other double IPAs that I've tried, but perhaps it's a bit old and the hops have faded. The sourness is also hard to pin down - is it the result of infection (my first thought), or merely the way this yeast strain goes to work? Perhaps slight oxidation? At any rate, this is an impressive but flawed attempt at a double IPA. The flavour simply isn't clean or hoppy enough to compare with similar beers - the lesson is not to brew US-style double IPAs with Belgian yeast strains. Worth trying, but I won't fork out for this again.

04-10-2012 00:03:25 | More by jazzyjeff13
younger35

3.35/5  rDev -15%

Picked up this brew yesterday from Armanetti Wine and Beverage Shoppe for around $7. I know Mikkeller makes some fantastic brews but we'll see about Struise later. Drank from my Stone India Pale Ale tulip.

Appearance- Pours a dark hazy orange with a huge three finger murky white head that recedes very very slowly. A excellent head remains the entire brew leaving rings and webbing of lacing.
Smell- A bit different than I was expecting and not as potent as I was expecting for 130 IBU's. Plenty of grapefruit pith and candied orange to go around though. Sorta earthy and piney with a raw bitter grassiness. Slightly sweet in the nose with some Belgium yeastiness. Slightly fruity with a bit of banana and a touch of spice.
Taste- Certainly bitter. It somehow manages to be maltier than hoppy, yet is ridiculously bitter. Make sense? Good! Lightly spicy with hints of orange peel, ginger and perhaps some coriander. Belgium candied sugar is prevalent with a toasty brown sugary addition. Perhaps a little bit of grapefruit and peach but the fruitiness seems minimal. The bitterness is fairly intense on the back of the throat but the sweetness seems to cut that quite easily. Finishes with a lingering caramel like toffeeness.
Mouthfeel- Slick and oily with a fairly heavy feel from all the sugar but very low carbonation. Just a tad too low.
Drinkability- Overall I just didn't enjoy this brew all that much. It seems that if a beer is going to be 130 IBU's, let them shine. Somewhere in the process of balancing some of those hops, the malt and Belgium sugar took over. Oh wells. Decent but not great.

12-19-2008 20:07:04 | More by younger35
inspektor

3.35/5  rDev -15%

Pours about one finger of head, the body being a deep copper color. The head dissipates slowly leaving the appropriate amount of lacing.

Definitely not your typical American DIPA, i.e. Pliny the Elder, Hercules, Mojo Risin', etc. This pours of yeast first, followed by hops and mild traces of fruit.

The taste is mainly yeasty and malty, followed by fruit, caramel and balanced by hops. A bit more bitter than a typical DIPA as well.

Medium body mouthfeel with a full dose of carbonation

Definitely drinkable, which is not too surprising with the low ABV.
A bit too bitter and malty for my taste in a DIPA

01-14-2010 01:22:24 | More by inspektor
Vancer

3.38/5  rDev -14.2%

After a bit of a swirl, the bottom yeasties create a hazy amber pour, ivory eggshell frothy topping. Sticky laces dominate in the Corsendonk tulip.

Whoo, Belgium sugar cane, candied fruits in the aroma. Tangy quaff of aged fruits, but the blend is not working. Tries to be a Belgium, and then you have the 130 IBUs that don't get a chance to show up. A bit raspy and woody, it sure finishes crisp and dry, almost Champaign like, but a bit harsh.

Too much $ to make this one a real drinker, or to seek out again.

12-20-2008 21:28:50 | More by Vancer
mrasskicktastic

3.4/5  rDev -13.7%

A - Immediately erupts in a head that consumes the entire glass. Once it subsided, I got some more beer that erupted into more foam. It is thick stuff too. I took about four patient pours to finally empty the 11.2 oz bottle into a pint glass. The head is off-white and foamy. It takes nearly forever to fade. I am really not that patient. The head is ludicrously thick . The beer itself is a deep russet caramel color. Lots of carbonation.

S - Biscuity, with some grapefruit pith hops and a touch of cotton candy. The aroma is not terribly potent.

T - At first, I was really surprised that this is 130 IBUs, but then the bitterness grew increasingly apparent. It presents its self well, contributing, without overwhelming the flavor. There is a hint of coffee and biscuits. These two malt flavors are paired with a bit of a grapefruit hop. The aftertaste is more coffee soaked biscuit with a bunch of very sharp pithy bitterness that fades into a pepper taste.

M - Very high carbonation. Medium bodied and a bit gumming.

D - Alright. A nice brew from a nice collaboration. It isn't quite living up to the hype in my opinion though. It is an alright beer, but I will likely never have again at the hefty price tag. Especially since it takes an eternity to get the head down to a manageable level.

10-01-2009 07:21:20 | More by mrasskicktastic