Pannepot Grand Reserva - De Struise Brouwers

De Struise Brouwers visit their website

Quadrupel (Quad) |  10.00% ABV

Beer added by: SacoDeToro on 03-20-2008

4.32/5  rDev +0.5%

Poured from 33cl into Chalice. 2008 Vintage Old Fishermans's Ale Aged on Oak. Aged 14 months on French oak and had a Calvados wood finish for another 8 months. Thanks to Kendall for hooking this up!

A. Poured a 1 finger head. Good retention. A little lacing. Color is such dark brown it is almost black. Darkest Quad I believe I have ever seen.

S. Complexity. Dark fruit, molasses, spice, candi sugar, oak, Layers of aroma. So many aromas come out at different times. I can pick up some licorice, a little coffee

T. Taste is a nice blend of caramel malty sweetness and dark fruit. Get raisins, figs, a touch of grape. Very similar flavor to Pannepot with even more complexity than Reserva. Has a faint vanilla that is very nice. The Calvados wood definitely adds something, but it is hard for me to pin down. I think it is a spice flavor that I just can't put my finger on.

M. Medium/full bodied. Drinks very similar to Pannepot. Finishes dry.

O. Overall very similar to the base beer as is Reserva. The base beer is very good so it is really hard to go wrong. I think the barrel aging adds subtle complexity and nuances to the flavor of Pannepot, which is really what is is supposed to do. I think I would have to say that I prefer Pannepot Reserva at this point. Next up is Pannepeut.

4.04/5  rDev -6%

A stop on the interview trail to Buffalo, NY brings me back to the world of BA reviewing. Found this one at Premier Gourmet and split it with glazeman.

Looks dark like any Quad with a two finger head that fades to about half a finger. Smell is a great mix of booze, dark fruits, wood, and booze again. Taste reminds me of Westy, but is a little sweeter with less bite in the finish. I get smokey dark fruits with a smooth finish.

Overall, this a good one that I would love to try again.

4.5/5  rDev +4.7%

4.2/5  rDev -2.3%

A: Pours a dark brown with a fizzy beige mousse. This beer is virtually opaque until held up to the light. As far as appearance goes, this version of Pannepot does not appear to be quite as dark as some of De Struise Brouwers' others.

S: Aromas of calvados and port are immediately evident, but are followed by aromas of woody spice, dark chocolate, caramel, and dried fruits. This beer is a bit boozy on the nose, but the scents are unique, saving it from being uninviting.

T: Alcohol flavors reminiscent of some of those found in tawny port and calvados immediately blossom on the palate. Around mid-palate, notes of dark chocolate, woody spices, prunes, raisins, figs, woodsmoke, caramel, black currants, tobacco, and leather come into focus. The finish is robust and flavorful with a swirl of port, calvados, raisin, prune, leather, and woodsmoke flavors.

M: Full bodied, firm, and rather dry compared to some of the other versions of this ale. Carbonation is discreet, but is just crisp and prickly enough to carry an ale of this complexity and strength. At times, though, the whole thing feels just slightly too dry, but that may be an effect of the aging.

O: This is yet another excellent take on Pannepot by De Struise Brouwers, and I hope to see more experiments like this from them in the future. Though this is not my favorite version of Pannepot, I would still recommend it highly to fans of barrel-aged beers and/or Belgian strong ales.

4.3/5  rDev 0%

2005 Vintage poured into a Cigar City Snifter. One of the 3,000 bottles filled per the label.

A - pours a very dark cola colored brown with a nice, creamy white rim around the edge that leaves some nice lacing.

S - the nose is vanilla, dark, sugary fruits (plums, figs, raisins), some creamy nutiness, cola, and candied sugar

T - where to begin on this...
starts off with a lot of sweet flavors up front (raisins, plums) that are mixed in with some caramel malts. These fade to some cola and darker tastes with a touch of cocoa to it. Ends with sweet oak and some cherry vanilla mixed in on the finish and exhale; more cola also shows up. This a is a complex beer to say the lease. Pannepot has quickly risen as one of my top beers and this one takes it to a new level.

M - creamy and full, goes down nicely

D - this is a fantastic beer. Rich, complex, delicious. Being 6 years old, this still has a lot of unique character to it and I see it going even longer without too many problems. Recommended!

4.25/5  rDev -1.2%

2005 vintage poured into my Lost Abbey long stemmed tulip.

A: Pours a deep, dark, murky brown (almost black) with a beige head of medium sized bubbles. The head quickly fades but leaves a nice halo around the top of the beer.

S: I'm picking up notes of sweet roasted malt, candied sugar, plums, and yeast. I would have to say that the candied plum scent shines through with an undertone of yeasty goodness.

T: Starts off with sweet brown sugar and stone fruit notes (mainly plums). But there is a really mellow malt characteristic to this beer too. The yeast and alcohol shine through as well, but aren't as pronounced as the major players of sugar and fruit. The finish dwells back to the stone fruits (cherry, apricot, plum) and envelops the palate to linger for quite awhile.

M: In my opinion, this is a full bodied beer. It starts and finishes the same way... simple and sweet.

O: I think this beer is fantastic. There is a lot of complexity to this brew, and yet it feels subdued and simple. The flavors are spot on and the mouthfeel is just right. Color me extremely impressed. This is the best quad I've ever had.

4.39/5  rDev +2.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

2005 vintage. Pours a one-finger light brown head that fades quickly leaving some lace. Black color, no highlights, ton of yeast left in bottle. Medium carbonation and medium bodied. Dark fruit and alcohol nose and flavor is also alcohol, dark fruit and some oak, mellow sweetness. Very similar to Pannepot Reserva. Expensive at $11.49 for a 330ml (label claims this is a 750ml, I guess they ran out of 330ml labels) bottle from Julio's Liquors Westborough, Ma.

4.5/5  rDev +4.7%

4.08/5  rDev -5.1%

2005 vintage into Portsmouth snifter.

A: Pours a very dark raisin brown with three fingers of dense dark tan head that slowly faded into a thick film leaving a streaks of fine lace after ever sip.
S: Spicy and fruity nose with scents of dark prunes, raisins, plums, citrus rind, vinous red grapes, cola, and woody oak.
T: Follows the nose but I get some metallic notes as well. The flavors are much more subtle and integrated than I was expecting. The flavors are also very creamy, and no one aspect stands out. The finish is spicy with notes of cinnamon, nutmeg, clove and oak, and the aftertaste is lightly fruity and sweet and has flavors of tobacco. Notes of apple cider come to mind at times. I get a hint or two of vanilla and milk chocolate as well.
M: Thick full body with a very thick and creamy mouthfeel. The carbonation is bubbly dense and chewy, and the alcohol heat has all but faded.
O: A very smooth, complex and well integrated beer. This wasn’t my favorite quad, and I think the original might be better, but I would sip on this any day of the year.

4.12/5  rDev -4.2%

A - Dark brown beer with a bit of red on the edges and a bit of a tannish colored head on it.

S - Lots of oak with some dark fruits. Bit of dark fruits and some brown sugar and molasses. Nice smelling.

T - Oak, little bit of booze, some cocoa. There's some nice brown sugar as well as molasses and dark fruits. Good stuff.

M - Medium bodied with medium carbonation.

O - Good beer, nothing that's really setting it head and shoulders above the regular versions, but like them, it is very good.

4.19/5  rDev -2.6%

2005 vintage poured in a Rochefort glass.

It pours a very dark brown colour with quite a bit of sediment floating around. The head is minimal, and quickly disappears (no doubt due to the alcohol).

The aroma is quite strong with dried fruits and a hint of vanilla being most prominent. There is also a kind of toffee smell alongside very noticeable alcohol, lending to a rum-like aroma.

The flavour is soft and luxurious hints of citrus to start followed by some slight sweetness. There is a very distinctive red wine flavour towards then end that lingers in the finish. It's interesting, and I'm not totally sure what to make of it. Lots of raisin comes through in the end, and the alcohol is almost imperceptible.

Overall, this is a very sophisticated quad, though still not my favourite. Still worth trying, and I might get another bottle in the future if my wallet allows.

4.05/5  rDev -5.8%

11.2oz bottle poured into a tulip. 2005 Vintage.

(A)- Pours a fairly thick, very dark near pitch black burnt sienna color. Produced some nice tan froth with good retention and plenty of lace.

(S)- I can definitely see the oak barrel in this. Some dark fruits and subtle yeasty clay behind a dry, oaky, almost tannic yet nutty earth.

(T)- Again, the oak aging definitely shows its face. Some dry, nutty oak flavors in front of some yeasty bread, dark fruits (prune, raisin, cassis).

(M)- A smooth carbonation level. A nice balance to it as well, though far more oak barrel characters than I was expecting. 10% ABV? I taste none of the heat this would perhaps normally portray either.

(D)- This has much much more life left in it for future aging despite being 6 years old or so. A solid to great quad that I think will only just get better and better with time based upon what is in the glass in front of me, though it is quite good now too.

2.72/5  rDev -36.7%

Re-review of a 2005 vintage bottle traded to me by baggio. Thanks, Rob!

A: Pours an opaque mahogany in the center with ruby translucence at the edges. It's capped by a thin, short-lived trace of tan foam that leaves a milky swirl of bubbles atop the brew.

S: Green apples, oak, caramel, and a mildly tart sour cherry presence. Brown sugar, vanilla, cola-like spices.

T: This beer is tart -- no sourness, but it's a flavor contribution that I find off-putting and clashing with the otherwise sweet body. Caramel, brown sugar, vanilla, and oak open up the palate, segueing into sweet dark fruits (figs, plums). The finish is mildly tannic, with a noticeably tart aftertaste that evokes cherries, grapes, and cola spices. I am truly confused. It's not infected, that much I believe -- but it's so jarring that I can't get past it.

M: This beer is still on the sweet and 'wet' side up front, but the finish is watery at times. It would be excellent otherwise.

O: This beer isn't quite as delicious as I remember it being. I noticed this vintage was distributed to my local beer store, and I passed up on the opportunity to buy it. Either my palate has evolved, or the vintages are different, but I've lost my excitement for this beer.

~~~~

Previous review: 4.5 / 4.5 / 4.5 / 5.0 / 5.0

Bottle purchased and consumed at Delirium Cafe in Brussels. 2006 vintage.

A: Poured a nearly black, but ultimately opaque mahogany, body with the slightest hints of ruby around the edges where light peeked through. The bartender's expert pour produced a fluffy tan head that filled the top 2 fingers of the glass, retained well, and deposited a few trails of lace down the sides. Beautiful.

S: This really opened up once it warmed to the right temperature. It presented a bouquet of apple, tannins, caramel, spices, vanilla, brown sugar, and dark fruits such as plums and berries. Wonderful to sniff.

T: Bread, crackers, caramel, brown sugar at first. The middle is more fruity, with tart apple -- the result of aging in Calvados casks -- as well as juicy plums, white raisins, orange peel, and possibly berries. I seem to remember the original having some tamarind, which isn't found here. The finish carries elements of coriander and clove. The Calvados contribution is mellow and subtle; whether it was strong before and has simply faded, I can't say. But it's found in good balance in this beer.

M: Medium-full bodied. Moderate carbonation. VERY smooth, and carries not even a trace of alcohol. I'm surprised to find that this delicious sipper is 10%.

D: I requested another and was dismayed to find that I had ordered the last one. I'd have grabbed another in a heartbeat, and now I'm on the trading warpath for it.

Pannepot Grand Reserva from De Struise Brouwers