Learn more about beer and save over 53% with a 3-year subscription.

Struise Tsjeeses Reserva (2008-2010) - De Struise Brouwers

Struise Tsjeeses Reserva (2008-2010)Struise Tsjeeses Reserva (2008-2010)

De Struise Brouwers visit their website

Belgian Strong Pale Ale |  10.00% ABV

Beer added by: Absumaster on 12-27-2008

firstprev| 26-50 | 51-75 | 76-100  | next → last
3.99/5  rDev -3.9%

11.2oz from SteveFinny (lovely gift, thanks Steve) split two and half ways.

I have to say, I know this is the beer I'm drinking, but based on other reviews I'm not sure what the major difference is.

The pour is as described, red/red ale, off-white topper. Not sticky at all, leaves only traces of lacing.

This smells smoked. I split it three ways and we all thought "wait it this a smoked beer"? but nothing seems to mesh with that. Otherwise a bit of white wine, some wood, and the usual assortment of spices.

Tart flavors immediately dissuade the thoughts that this was a 'smoked beer'. A bit of sucking on the brown sugar cube, a good about christmas cheer in the spices and faint vanilla notes. More yeast/bready. A bit of dark or candied fruit but the brown sugar sweetness is the most prominent.

I know others have written that there is some 'funk' here, but I don't find funk so much as characteristics of wine. The underlying thin wine notes help bring this together and keep it from being to sweet. With the smoke in the nose it's an assault on all your senses.

This is exceptionally enjoyable. There is a mildness to it that I don't typically find in Belgians which I'm enjoying. The mouthfeel is still solid enough to fit the stlye and the spices finish crisply.

3.97/5  rDev -4.3%

Had this on 2012-01-01 in Columbia, PA

A - Moderately hazy caramel with a 2-finger tan head that fades pretty quickly with no lacing.

S - Floral, sweet malt, vanilla bean, figs, spice.

T - First impression is toffee malt, Angostura bitters, tangerine rind, vanilla, oak, some spice flavors that I can't identify, peppercorns. Mildly astringent. Noticeable but pleasant alcohol. Dries pretty nicely with a lingering strong spice, malt and Angostura bitters.

M - Medium body and light carbonation. Creamy and moderately sticky.

O - Never had a beer like this. I don't know if the brewer actually used Angostura bitters but it seems like it to me. While I like bitters in moderation, I'm also sensitive to the taste of pepper and between the two, it seems over-the-top for my taste buds. Glad I had this surprising brew. My wife didn't like this one.

3.97/5  rDev -4.3%

2010 vintage, Lot: 2722090610, Bottle Lot: 30/H/FF

A: Pours a murky brown, with hints of reds throughout. There is a large amount of khaki colored head that slowly settles as the beer drinks. There is also some really nice lacing left along the edges of the glass.

S: Smells really sweet and boozy. I'm picking up hints of honey, candied sugar, spice (that I can't seems to place), and lemon. The nose of this beer is really nice.

T: Starts off sweet and malty, with blasts of honey. I can taste the candied sugar, with some sort of spice (like a mix of rosemary and cinnamon) along with hints of plums. In the finish, I get some earthy notes (dirt and grass). But the finish it's horrible.

M: Starts off syrupy and sweet, but finishes dry. Again, I get this dirt like quality. Yet, it's not off-putting.

O: I like this beer more than the regular Tsjeeses. The smells and flavors are very pleasant, and the it's a surprisingly easy drinking beer for something that is 10% ABV.

3.96/5  rDev -4.6%

I picked this up in Gent, Belgium in summer 2011.

A - Finger of creamy off-white foam settles to a thin cap and thicker collar. Good retention, even if there isn't a lot of head volume. Some thin fingers of lace are left behind. Hazy dark orange-brown, with some yellowish highlights at the edges.

S - Fresh yeast character, but not overly spicy or phenolic. I must say that I drunk this rather cold, so it might totally be different when it a bit warmer.

T - Taste has a oak, wood and some peat in the character, particularly in the finish. Perhaps some fresh bread in there as well. Very mellow for 10% - perhaps even a bit too smooth. If you ask me I would tell that there is also some cinnamon to be discovered.

M - Carbonation is low to medium, Finishes quite dry and oaky. No perceptible alcohol heat

D - Really drinkable stuff, and although its beautiful complex its not heavy to drink.

3.95/5  rDev -4.8%

Bottle: Poured a murky beige color ale with a quite large foamy head with good retention and some lacing. Aroma of fruity ester with some spicy yeast and deep rich Belgian style malt. Taste is also a complex mix between some deep rich Belgian malt with notes of spicy yeast and fruity ester. Body is full with limited filtration and good carbonation with very light alcohol perceptible. Very well done thought abuit too heavy fior my taste and I think I prefer the original over this - oak was kind of subtle.

3.95/5  rDev -4.8%

Poured from the bottle into a goblet.

Appearance: The beer pours a cloudy reddish amber color with a foamy two finger off white head. The head fades to a thick ring around the pour.

Smell: Sweet dark fruits and candy sugar along with a lot of Belgian spice. There is a note that reminds me of cherry and almond.

Taste: Very similar to the smell. Lots of Belgian spice with a complex sweet flavor behind. I'm getting some caramel and a fruity note that remind me of cherries and almonds. As the sweetness fades in the finish, the spice notes remain. Very smooth overall.

Mouthfeel: The body is just on the syrupy side of medium with a ton of foamy carbonation and a very dry finish.

Overall: This isn't my favorite style, but I enjoyed this beer. The fruity notes were quite nice. I'm not sure I need another, but I'm glad I had this.

3.95/5  rDev -4.8%

The beer has the colour of copper and is cloudy. The smell of candy sugar is overwhelming in the aroma. The sweetness of the sugar is nicely balanced by the bitterness of the hops, which gives the beer a full body.

3.93/5  rDev -5.3%

On tap at Max's the other night.

The beer pours a golden amber color with good head retention and lacing. Surprisingly, I didn't get a whole lot on the nose initially, though as the beer warmed, I picked up some light tropical fruit, honey and vanilla. The flavor profile replicate the nose, except there was nothing shy or reticient about what I tasted on the palate. This beer is pretty sweet, though I appreciated the full, soft, plush, almost creamy/buttery mouthfeel to this beer. It comes across as quite right rich, and though the alcohol is well integrated into the flavor profile, it's readily apparent that you're drinking a "high octane" brew.

Couple of thoughts... while I thought this a pretty good beer, and while I definitely enjoyed the rich, tropical fruit (peaches, apricots, mango, etc.), the over the top sweetness and booziness made this beer a bit hard to take. I was barely able to finish my 4 ounce sample glass, and would definitely have a hard time coping with a larger format size of this beer.

3.9/5  rDev -6%

On-tap at Gourmet Haus Staudt

Amber in color with a nice off-white head. Intense wine aroma to this, almost like port. A sweet grape aroma nearly overwhelms it. Some vanilla as well as oak, caramel, toffee, and brown sugar. Some overripe fruits in there, too. The flavor is quite sweet with lots of oak, wine, grape, and plum flavors. A touch of vanilla as well as the caramel/toffee, and brown sugar notes. Medium bodied with medium carbonation.

3.89/5  rDev -6.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

33cl Bottle: BBD 16th Jun 16. Poured into a La Chouffe tulip at home on 3rd Dec 13.

Looked fine: dull dark amber/mid-reddy-brown. The head was a full foam covering of off-white bubbles.

The nose leads with malty molasses: a strong treacle taste comes along once the beer got to my mouth. This is sweet from the start with the alcohol and bitterness arriving later on the palate: there is also a spicy and yeasty feel to the flavours and smell.

I like sweet malty brews and this fits nicely into my style.

3.88/5  rDev -6.5%

Enjoyed on Thanksgiving 2010. Review from notes.

Pours a pale golden yellow with limited carbonation and a murky body (despite the lack of noticeable sediment). A regal tuft of foam tops things off.

Aroma of dark fruit and wintery spicing (spruce, pine, cinnamon) are at the forefront. The slightest hint of musty sweat sock accompanies the warming booze in the background.

Flavor profile consists of white grape, plum, spruce, black pepper, condensed milk, sugar cubes and a slightly dry ending. The alcoholic content of the beer warms you to the bone, which is nice on the day of the first snow.

Mouth feel is both smooth and bitter (dare I say, spicy) with a surprisingly lack of yeast on the back end (which isn't a bad thing). The fruit flavor resonates on the tongue, leaving behind a nice plum coating.

This is an extremely unique holiday effort and it doesn't seem to pack the tremendous weight you'd expect from a 10% ale, making it seem effortless to take down a 12 oz bottle.

3.85/5  rDev -7.2%

Pours a lightly hazy golden amber with a thick creamy white head. Lots of small CO2 bubbles rising in the glass.

A - A bit of spiced pear cider mixes well with a faint maltiness. Not very robust but nice.

F - Nicely balanced, cotton candy sugariness, pears, brown sugar, an earthy spiciness more reminiscent of chai tea than most spiced beers, but it is fairly mellow. A touch of yeasty spiciness as well. A bit of lingering bitterness in the finish.

M - A touch of alcohol burn with the good level of carbonation is nice.

Overall very well balanced and enjoyable.

3.83/5  rDev -7.7%

A clear, copper beer with a thin head that only leaves a small ring of foam on the edge of the glass.

Smell is woody, oaky with a hefty alcohol smell. This combination reminds me of sherry or cognac.

Taste is alcoholic with a warming effect. The wood aging of this beer makes the beer woody with a fresh wooden pallet taste, which is good. The base is formed by light colored caramel malts and candisugar.
The body is a bit thin for a beer this strong.

3.78/5  rDev -8.9%

Pours a deep, dark copper orange with golden burnt orange hues when held to a light source and a two finger frothy yellowish, off-white head. Much darker than the regular version with visible carbonation bubbling up. Excellent retention, only slowly fading into a lasting cap.

Slightly earthy, spicy aroma with a decent malt backbone, slight medicinal character and estery fruit notes. Lots of spice, especially peppermint, cinnamon, clove, coriander and pepper. A nice combination of light and dark fruit but the darker fruits ae more prominent. Hints of cherry, apple, pear, grape, currant, plum, raisin and fig. Although these fruit notes are evident they are less prominent than in the regular version. The Reserva smells much more earthy and spicy and the aroma suffers a bit from this. There's also more of a medicinal cough syrup and sweet alcohol presence.

Medium bodied and well balanced with a nice combination of zesty spice, caramel malt, estery fruit and alcohol heat. Tight carbonation up front with a lot of spice. Hints of pepper, corriander, clove, peppermint and ginger linger throughout into the finish. This is balanced by a slight creamy body with a medicinal and dark fruit flavor that adds complexity and fullness to the mouthfeel. I'm picking up hints of cherry, currant, grape, plum, raisin and other dark berries. The dark berries overpower the lighter fruits in this beer much more than the regular version and there is substantially a bit more alcohol sweetness and warmth in the finish. Overall this beer is pretty good and I'm glad that I finally got a chance to try it after two years of searching, but I have to say that I prefer the regular version a bit more.

3.77/5  rDev -9.2%

On-tap at Beachwood II,

A: Pours a medium amber to orange with a with a mild white head. Solid retention and lace.

S: Cointreau, orange, lemon zest with some peach. Complex.

T: Sweet toffee like malt. Some notes of booze. Good orange estery flavour, some oak, vanilla.

M: Medium to full-bodied, fairly smooth, has a solvent character which works with the overall flavour.

O: Good stuff for sure, an enjoyable effort. Overpriced, but I enjoyed it.

3.73/5  rDev -10.1%

This beer pours an orangish amber color with a white heat.

The aroma is not really pronounced but I do get what I think is a berry aroma.

The flavor is malty, estery and some spiciness. Can't really elaborate on these but they go together really well.

The mouthfeel is rich and syrupy making this a little hard to drink but it is a great sipper.

3.68/5  rDev -11.3%

33cl into a tulip. Pours a fully hazed deep dull butterscotch orange, minor head even with an encouraging pour, minor lacing.

Aroma is sweet fruits that have begun to rot. Honey, oxidation and a little ethanol.

Taste is full and rich. Obvious slightly solvent alcohol. Little bitter, little dry. Grape, spoiled plum vinous notes. Tropical fruits as well, exceedingly sweet. Medium - full bodied mouthfeel. Warms well.

3.6/5  rDev -13.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

11.2 fl oz brown glass bottle with standard pressure cap served into an EKU 28 snifter in low altitude Los Angeles, California. Expectations are merely average; I had the Tsjeeses (regular) last night and was disappointed. I usually love Struise but the Tsjeeses just didn't do it for me. "TSJ No. 11" Lot C 8/10. Acquired at Wally's Wine in Westwood, California. I don't recall the cost.

Served refrigerator cold and side-poured.

A: Pours a one finger head of nice cream, good thickness, and good retention - especially considering the high ABV. The head is a little darker than I remember the Tsjeeses being, a good sign. Colour is an orange marmelade. Nothing strikes me as unique or special.

Sm: Orange fruit esters, a floral hop aroma, biscuity yeast, and clean malts. A mild strength aroma.

T: Nicely yeasty, with some light orange esters alongside clean malts with a spike of floral hops. Any mild hop bitterness is concealed by the malts. Some herbs and spices come through. Mild layering, but nothing impressive. Nicely balanced and built, if timid. Complex enough. The yeast is lovely.

Mf: Smooth and wet, with enough coarseness to bring out the flavours. Neither too thick nor too thin. Adequately carbonated; I'd say it's spot on. Complements the flavours well, but doesn't feel tailored specifically to them. Delicate and silky.

Dr: Incredibly drinkable for the high ABV; dangerously so perchance. I like it. It doesn't feel anywhere near as hoppy as the Tsjeeses, which is a definite improvement. Hides its ABV incredibly well.

3.55/5  rDev -14.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

A: Pours clear with the color somewhere between amber and ruby with a thin off white head. The thin head actually was retained throughout my enjoyment of the beer. Minimal lacing.

S: Slight amount of alcohol burn in the smell, though not unpleasant. Hints of oak, spices, and apple. Overall not a very strong aroma.

T: Lots of oak in the flavor with hints of alcohol, spices, and some fruit. Slight hints of smokiness or iodine/band-aid taste.

M: Medium bodied with moderate amounts of carbonation.

O: Not really what I was expecting for the style and not something I would hurry out to try again. Very complex aromas and taste but not all that enjoyable or easy to drink.

3.45/5  rDev -16.9%

Bottle assumed roughly one year old, carefully cellared, poured into a Chouffe tulip.

Appearance - Beer pours cloudy and hazy orange in color, a one finger pearl head rises and quickly fades. Lacing clings to the sides of the glass for the duration of the beer.

Smell - Very neutral, a light floral herbal tea fragrance a bit of pear rind, some tangerine. Oxidized hops. Belgian yeast phenols not strong or pungent. Pleasant, not overtly memorable.

Taste - Wine grapes, a lighter red, perhaps a Shiraz, some light peppery notes, more herbal tea flavors, medium roasted malts, yeasty phenols, not overpowering or unpleasant, the label shows this as a spiced holiday ale, I'm not getting too many spices here either.

Mouthfeel - Very carbonated and effervescent, the light carbonation is probably the high point on this beer. Not too cloying, not too warming even at 10%.

Overall - A fair representation of a Belgian strong pale. Not amazing, but not poor by any means. I doubt if I'll find this again, but I'm not sure that I would pick it up if I found it. De Struise has many other greater offerings.

3.27/5  rDev -21.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Got this at Bert's Bierhuis in Utrecht. Drank the regular and Reserva back to back.

From a bottle into my Struise glass.
Lot C: Bottled August 2010
Apparently this was aged in a port barrel.

APPEARANCE: Pours a three finger, medium looking, fluffy, white head with great retention. Tenne orange in color, hazy, with lots of carbonation evident. Head eventually fades to a thick foam cap that remains the whole time and leaves some nice lacing down the glass. Like the regular version, this is a very nice looking brew.

SMELL: Mild nose of pale malts, touches of green fruit and a bit of tartness. Quite boring and mute in comparison.

TASTE: Much different than the regular version. Pale malts, wood and vanilla notes for sure. Sweet vanilla cream with a spicy and yeasty finish. A little one dimensional perhaps. Mild but lingering aftertaste of oak, vanilla and some spice on the palate. A touch of alcohol lingers as well.

PALATE: Medium body and higher levels of carbonation. Creamy smooth on the palate, goes down fine with a scratch at the swallow and finishes rather dry on the palate. Good feel, though a touch too much burn perhaps. Slightly higher carbonation than the regular bottle.

OVERALL: Not nearly as complex and enjoyable as the regular version. The oak aging is definitely noticeable, but it has mellowed out the flavors and made it somewhat one dimensional. I would take the regular version over this nine times out of ten. Regardless, this was a fun comparison.

3.21/5  rDev -22.7%

A: 1 finger khaki head, straw to amber. Tight bubbles, creamy head.

S: chocolate, bread, sourness, bready crust malt, belgian yeast.

T: chocolate, spice bomb punch, booze afterwards, caramel malt, no hop bitterness, strong toffee sweetness.

M: medium with sweet caramel thickness.

O: I definitely wouldn't get again. Belgian pale ale with spiced and strong sweetness. Gives me a slight headache when drinking.

3.15/5  rDev -24.1%

Strange color, I’ll call it a dirty gold. A cross between orange, gold, copper and brown, with floaty particles. Offwhite head.

Smells like an American pale ale and a Belgian pale ale had a child. Unique. Grassy and citric, with some honey and alcohol.

Lots of honey and some orange. Malty. A bit of alcohol. Reminds me of a Sam Adams Wee Heavy. Actually tastes like a lager.

Way too sweet for me. Cloying. Not enough bitter to offset. I’m not a honey fan and this does little for me. There is no transition from sweet to bitter, it happens all at once. Didn’t get the dry finish, the cloyingness draped my tongue.

This didn’t work for me. Simply too sweet for me. Not at all easy to drink.

3.13/5  rDev -24.6%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

A - pours a murky golden brown, with a finger of head that dies down.

S - getting some winter spice and honey sweetness.

T - really sweet, sort of like a tripel on steroids - but the flavor leaves you just a little too soon. there is a heat to this beer that builds up as you sip it, which is really nice.

M - low carbonation, would of loved a bit more fizz with this type of beer.

O - Don't get me wrong - worth checking out. Hearty and well spiced christmas beer, I was just expecting the flavor to be a little more fleshed out.

firstprev| 26-50 | 51-75 | 76-100  | next → last