Cuvee Delphine - De Struise Brouwers

De Struise Brouwers visit their website

Russian Imperial Stout |  13.00% ABV

Beer added by: ClockworkOrange on 01-07-2009

3.54/5  rDev -15.5%

Got this in White Whale 3 from xpimptastikx. Crazy package and he hit a major want on this one. Thanks Michael!

Appearance: Pours a nice black liquid with a huge amount of dark brown head. I thought the head was due to my pour or something with my glass but after reading the other reviews, I see that this is just one of the features of this beer.

Smell: Almost a sourness to it. Strange. Wasn't expecting that. The alcohol is in there as well.

Taste: Some sourness as well. Almost a nutmeg and cinnamon taste in there too. Burnt malts. Dark fruits. I get light coffee and chocolate notes but not very strong. Oaky and vinous.

Mouthfeel: Very carbonated and a tad thin

Drinkability: The high ABV is very well hidden on this beer. Not sure I would drink two of these in a row even if the ABV was lower.

Definitely a beer I'd like to see what would happen with a few years on it.

3.54/5  rDev -15.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

Shared at Kahns with aasher, 2009 vintage.

Poured black and beautiful with a chewing tobbaco brown colored head. Smelled and tasted like roasty malts and barley. Slight coffee, slight bitter chocolate. Barely any bourbon present in the smell and taste.. great mouthfeel and gorgeous lacing.

It's a solid beer. I however was expecting more.

3.58/5  rDev -14.6%

11.2 oz bottle, allowed to warm some before being poured into my Brooklyn Brewery tulip.

Cuvee Delphine pours a solid black. Three plus fingers of mocha foam come together quickly and threaten to spill out of the glass. Head retention is decent, but lacing is nonexistent. The nose has a little bit of bourbon and a little bit of milk chocolate. The predominant aroma though, is vanilla soaked dark fruits. The intensity is noticeably lacking. Each sip leads off with a brief bourbon flourish. The focus of the flavor profile though is vanilla and plums A nice swirl of milk chocolate comes in to provide the finish. The body is not nearly full enough, an the carbonation is way too prominent for an imperial stout. The very Belgian nature of the base beer shines through the barrel aging for Cuvee Delphine. The result is a beer that's not bad as a beer, but pretty average as a Russian Imperial Stout

3.58/5  rDev -14.6%

Big thanks to beace for opening this one up. Reviewed from notes I took on the phone. Poured into a snifter.

A- Pours a dark, chocolate brown. Almost looks like a liquid brownie. Produced two fingers width of tan colored head. Quickly dissipated upon consumption.

S- Picking up a slight roasted quality along with some chocolate from the various blends of malts. Also noticed a bit of tannic fruitiness. Some oak in there as well.

T- Very much like the aroma, but without the roasted character. Also found the bourbon to be barely noticeable in this one. Flavors just didn't work for me this one, lacked cohesion. Also tad bit too hot in the end.

M- Medium bodied with a good amount of viscosity.

D- Wasn't too difficult to drink my sample, but I'm not sure if I would want much more.

Overall, very glad to have the opportunity to try this long time want. That being said, I found this one to be very disappointing. Noticed some off flavors that just didn't seem to work in this one. I'd much rather have Black Albert.

3.64/5  rDev -13.1%

Finally, after a long wait in trying this, I decided to start off the long Thanksgiving weekend by diving into this little gem recently sent over from Belgium by a beer drinking friend.

Poured from the small bottle into an awaiting snifter.

A - Dark and even darker if possible with a rich mocha head that rises up on a less then aggressive pour. The best thing is that a swirl or two in the snifter and you can basically summon up the impressive sight on command.

S - The first part of the let down for me. I don't get the complex dark ripened fruit that I was anticipating. Instead I get the distinct booziness of the brew along with a definite blast of oak.

T - Follows the nose largely and I am sorry to say that I don't get the rich complex fruit flavor initially. As it warmed it improved, but still I was a little let down.

M - Very solid. Thick and somewhat oily and slick. It is very good; besides the appearance, I think that the mouthfeel is the next best element of the experience.

D - You can definitely pick up the booze. One small bottle and I can definitely feel that I am on my way to nighty night. You have been warned, be careful.

Given the price of acquiring these, I'd purchase the Westy bottles over these every day of the week. I am glad I got the chance to finally cross this one off the list, but I don't think that I will search this one out as much as I did for this one. I'll have to try it again given that I still have 2 more bottles and see if I like it more the second time around.

3.65/5  rDev -12.9%

330ml bottle received from injuredreserve.
Batch 14-2009

A: Jet black with a mocha colored 2 finger head. After the head implodes the foam really clings to the sides of the glass.

S: Really nice nose. Lots of bourbon engulfs the sweet tobacco, molasses, deep dark malts, black licorice, and dark fruits. Tobacco really stands out here, wet, juicy tobacco. There is a slight tartness, cherry-like, but after all the horror stories maybe I'm looking for it pretty hard. Smells very earthy and sweet. The alcohol is present but not as much as the ABV would lead you to believe.

T: Roasted malt, coffee, leather, tobacco, and wood really headline this. There is a nice char from smoked wood. Bourbon sweetness, smoke, oak, and vanilla try to cut through this black abyss of flavors. This is a very tannic, vinous beer, I get some cherry chocolate throughout. If this is infected, it is too big in the first place to be thrown off track by this problem, or it just kind of works with the beer.

M: Heavier medium body. Higher carbonation for the style but not enough to cause any alarm.

O: This is a pretty nice stout. I'm not so sure its worth all the money and hassle to achieve a bottle. I'm fairly certain something unwanted is going on in this beer, but it is very slight, and again the huge flavors overbear it as far as I'm concerned. At the end of the day I probably would have rather had the Four Roses bourbon or the Black Albert instead.

3.65/5  rDev -12.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4

The beer was poured from the bottle in the glass. It foams heavily, very nice. The beer contains lots of alcohol, and you can taste that. It is a heavy beer. It tastes mainly like coffee and alcohol. The mouthfeel is in order, a good thick beer. Overall an okay beer!

3.65/5  rDev -12.9%

33cl, "Vintage 2009" on the label.

Thick, inky black with a spectacular head: dark tan and voluminous, with sheets of lace.

At first the aroma has a big vanillin-bourbon profile. This then transforms into more of an oaky, roasty thing. Very lush and deep, though there's a slightly metallic thing that is not ideal.

Flavor is equally as huge, with fudge and dark chocolate components. Very roasty and bitter on the back end. Woody flavors apparent as well. Like Black Albert, this beer has some interesting fruity things going on, mainly blueberries and dark cherries. Unfortunately, that flinty, metallic note comes through again, and it's stronger than the aroma. It's not so much to make the beer undrinkable, but it definitely lowers my flavor score. The mouthfeel is impeccable: oily and thick, yet fluffy and effervescent at the same time (quite a feat).

Struise's beers vary batch to batch, sometimes considerably, and I have a feeling that other batches (read: barrels, in the case of this one-off stout) may have been better and lacked the minor metallic twang of this bottle. Without this flaw, Cuvee Delphine would be an "A" for sure.

3.68/5  rDev -12.2%

Bottle poured into my Stone IRS snifter. This is the batch 0 base recently made available on the Struise Yeast Shop.

A - Black body with a big brown head resting on top. The head on this sucker is huge!

S - Roast mixed with dried fruits. Not picking up any of the barrel aging in the nose.

T - Nice roasty stout, dark malts with hints of chocolate and a faint note of coffee. A hint of alcohol but not much. Is this beer really barrel aged? I'm not picking up on it.

M - medium to heavy body with more carbonation than I'd like.

D - A decent beer for sure but not the greatest. This stout has some really nice roasted malt flavors which I love. However this really doesn't taste like it spent very long in a barrel if any time at all. A good beer but not worthy of the price point.

3.7/5  rDev -11.7%

This is Black Albert, aged for a while in some Four Roses bourbon barrels. Poured from a bottle shared by ejyoung, into a tulip.

Deep, impenetrable black with a quarter-inch of sand-colored head. The bubbles eventually become a thin, silky top layer and ring.

Heavily fruity nose — it stings the nostrils. Prunes mixed with booze, some dark chocolate, a little roast, some oak and vanilla. Not a ton of bourbon, though.

If this is barrel-aged, I can barely tell. There’s a lot of the Belgian yeast character, raisins, tangy grapes, even a little pear. I get a good amount of oak as well, just not much bourbon. Smooth blend of flavors, though.

Medium, creamy body with very soft carbonation and just a hint of fizz. The booze on the tongue is a little tongue-numbing, but I don’t get anything near 13 percent.

Delphine is decent, but I wish there was more barrel character. It’s better than the regular Albert, at least.

3.73/5  rDev -11%

From 330mL bottle to Portsmouth glass on 5/16/12
*From notes

-- Thanks to billab914 for digging this out of his cellar --

Vintage 2009

A: Lovely stuff. It's a dark and robust bootstrap brown that, when poured, you can hardly see through. A good pour yields a decent .5 finger mocha head and doesn't last long, and fades to a solid tan collar.

S: I'm getting a ton of ruby port wine here. Lots of red vine fruit. Mild cigar tobacco leaves are also in the mix.

T: Brownie batter, dark malt and again, plenty of ripe red vine fruit. I get some earth floor on the mid, and the finish is slightly smokey. This intensifies as it warms. The alcohol is masterfully hidden.

M: It's alright, yet unspectacular. Thinner then a beer like this should be, and though the carbonation is solid, the weight just isn't there.

O: Above average and approachable. The last three years have been kind to Ms. Delphine. I wish that the bourbon barrels would've shown better (or at all), but it was still a decent drinking experience. Certainly worth checking out, especially when fresh.

3.73/5  rDev -11%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.75

Vintage 2012 - Bottled 9/14

A: The mocha tan head created when poured into a tulip glass was made of fine bubbles and stood firm for over two minutes. Swirling kicked up a coating of lacing that looked thick and creamy. The beer is pitch black, no light comes through even when back-lit.

S: Sweet toffee and caramel dominate the aroma with prune and figgy notes - lots of middle note aroma. Mild roast with milk chocolate, cocoa and mild vanillin. Low spicy belgian yeast character that dances with the sweeter elements in the beer making it slightly muddled. Low noble / German hop aroma just over threshold levels.

T: Sweet caramel and toffee dominate the flavor too. There is a slight oxidative flavor I’m picking up from the caramel malts that might be adding to the overall sweetness impression. More milk chocolate, bakers chocolate and slight soy sauce. Low hop bitterness but emphasized by the medium tanic barrel flavors. No bourbon really just clean woody and vanilla like. Again that Belgian yeast is giving more of that fruity spice character that might be working against the beer for my pallet.

M: Big creamy sensation from this beer and the tiny bubbles. Huge chewy body that adds to the creaminess. Carbonation is mild. Some tannic bite that hits the back of the throat possibly from the wood. Sticky sweetness left after a few sips. Warming is there as expected, but not overwhelming.

O: There’s a lot going on in this beer for sure! The overall sweetness was a tad too clowing for me and the oxidation I was picking up might have been enough to put it over the edge, but it was a unique spin on a beer that has been done to death and done extremely well but many US breweries. Way to try something new.

Cuvee Delphine from De Struise Brouwers