Cuvee Delphine - De Struise Brouwers

Cuvee DelphineCuvee Delphine

De Struise Brouwers visit their website

Russian Imperial Stout |  13.00% ABV

(Beer added by: ClockworkOrange on 01-07-2009)
« first ‹ prev | 351-375 | 376-400 | 401-425  | next › last »
4.35/5  rDev +4.1%

A: Dark black, but not syrupy with a very big fluffy mocha head, that lingers a little. Outstaning lace

S: Some belgian esters, bits of roastiness, nice tannin wood notes. Nice bourobon aromas. Also a bit of a vinous, wine quality to it.

T: The roast is much more pronounced in the taste. Burnt coffee, bitter chocolate, wood, and a mellow warming bourbon note in the finish. The flavors blend very well together. The bourbon adds a but of a smokey quality to it as well. SOme dark fruit notes, and hints of pepper as well.

M: Very creamy and no heat on it at all. The body is a little thin.

D: Probably the easiest and most deceptive 13% beer I have ever enjoy.

mikey711, Jan 14, 2010
4.75/5  rDev +13.6%

25cl bottle courtesy of eyebrews! I love Black Albert, so this bottle has been long awaited.

Pours a delicate black with foamy, white head that yields into a thin rim. Picture perfect!

Big time chocolate with smoothing bourbon. There is slight toffee here as well. A very inviting aroma that is so complex, my words do this no justice.

Chocolate malt with warming bourbon sip upon glorious sip. Nice and smooth with parts vanilla and tannins. Like Albert, this is so unique, I'm having a hard time describing everything I taste. Amazing!

The mouthfeel is a little light with excellent carbonation. The alcohol is making its presence known, but by all means, I'm glad to have this bottle all to myself. Just outstanding!

rudylaw, Jan 03, 2010
4.55/5  rDev +8.9%

Found this at The Cracked Kettle in Amsterdam.

From a 25cl bottle into a snifter.

Note: Black Albert aged in bourbon barrels.

APPEARANCE: Pours a small half finger medium looking deep tan head with good retention. Black with medium carbonation evident. The head retains surprisingly well, and slowly fades to a nice wisp and a thick ring around the edges. The wisp and ring remain for the entire ride but leave no lacing down the sides. Looks great, but just needs a little lacing to stick.

SMELL: Roasted malts, dark fruits and berries, alongside some black licorice. Some hints of bourbon from the barrel aging, but it is subtle and very complimentary. A very nice nose that works well together.

TASTE: Much like the above. Roasted and charred malts with some dark fruits up front. Black licorice and spicy yeast through the middle into a spicy alcohol finish. Some nice subtle hints of bourbon that mesh well with the entire brew. Ends with a strong and long lasting aftertaste of bitter hops, chocolate and coffee, which weren't evident in the nose, and some nice bourbon notes. Just great.

PALATE: Medium body, though a little light on the palate. Creamy, goes down smooth and finishes with a touch of dryness on the palate. Could use a little more weight I think.

OVERALL: A great barrel aged RIS. Black Albert is good as it is, but the barrel aging has added a new dimension to an already great beer. Unlike some other bourbon barrel aged stouts, the whisky notes don't overwhelm and dominate the brew. The barrels have left subtle notes here and there that lend character to the brew, working together with the already superb taste profile that is Black Albert. One to check out if you can.

Jeffo, Dec 29, 2009
4.33/5  rDev +3.6%

Bottle poured by Urbain the Maestor at the schoolhouse.
A: Dark maroon color with a smallish tan head and moderate lacing.
S: Aroma of smoke and cocoa powder, with a background of bourbon and oak.
T: Smooth flavor with subtle smoke and bourbon, background only, and a finish of chocolate.
M: Good body.
D: Always a pleasure to drink with the master. Drinkability improved drastically when Urbain did his special blend with Woodford Reserve bourbon. Aroma was amazing, but taste was relatively unaffected, except for a bump in the body. Urbain, we saw you sneak the reminder of the bourbon from the glass!

Travlr, Dec 23, 2009
3.58/5  rDev -14.4%

Big thanks to beace for opening this one up. Reviewed from notes I took on the phone. Poured into a snifter.

A- Pours a dark, chocolate brown. Almost looks like a liquid brownie. Produced two fingers width of tan colored head. Quickly dissipated upon consumption.

S- Picking up a slight roasted quality along with some chocolate from the various blends of malts. Also noticed a bit of tannic fruitiness. Some oak in there as well.

T- Very much like the aroma, but without the roasted character. Also found the bourbon to be barely noticeable in this one. Flavors just didn't work for me this one, lacked cohesion. Also tad bit too hot in the end.

M- Medium bodied with a good amount of viscosity.

D- Wasn't too difficult to drink my sample, but I'm not sure if I would want much more.

Overall, very glad to have the opportunity to try this long time want. That being said, I found this one to be very disappointing. Noticed some off flavors that just didn't seem to work in this one. I'd much rather have Black Albert.

rhinos00, Dec 21, 2009
4.58/5  rDev +9.6%

I drank this from the bottle into a Rochefort chalice.

The beer is really black, and doesn't show much brown at all in the light. The head is about one finger of dark puffy head, but sadly it falls quickly. There is some lacing, but disappointing in general.

The aroma is very powerful almost knocking you off your feet. Right away you get the malts with lots of cherries, but that fades to alcohol, with raisins, and you definetly get lots of bourbon at the end. The cherries are almost sour and reminds me of some kind of wild ale, which is really interesting for a RIS. Its so unique, I just love it.

The taste is good but not all what you get from the aroma. The beginning is super sweet with cherry then finishes with roasty coffee, where'd that come from? The aftertaste is great as you get some swesome bourbon. What, a great complex beer.

This beer is is viscous and crisp and everything you would want.

It is is incredibly drinkable.

I've had black damnation, black albert and now cuvee delphine. These are all awesome beers but to me Cuvee is so unique it takes thing to a whole new level. Its just phenominal in every way.

jrallen34, Dec 01, 2009
4.33/5  rDev +3.6%

25cl bottle. Pours into my glass dark as night black with a two finger head of creamy tan foam. Lots of chocolate on the nose with wood and some subtle, mellow bourbon accents. There is a quiet and unassuming balance here. Lots of tannins with a touch of caramel as well.

First sip brings smooth dark malts augmented by a big wash of chocolate flavors. Woody tannins meet with a creamy caramel accents. Smooth bourbon weaves in and brings a touch of sweetness and vanilla. The smoothness of the Four Roses barrel really shines through here. Deceptively smooth and mellow.

Mouthfeel is surprisingly on the lighter side with mellow carbonation. Akin to the Black Albert this is a tricky beer as it's powerful but not heavy like a normal bourbon aged stout. This one will creep up on you with a left hook and leave you on the mat. Happy to be able to share this bottle with autumnaldave as it packs quite a punch. Cheers to De Struise for this one.

orbitalr0x, Nov 28, 2009
3.63/5  rDev -13.2%

Finally, after a long wait in trying this, I decided to start off the long Thanksgiving weekend by diving into this little gem recently sent over from Belgium by a beer drinking friend.

Poured from the small bottle into an awaiting snifter.

A - Dark and even darker if possible with a rich mocha head that rises up on a less then aggressive pour. The best thing is that a swirl or two in the snifter and you can basically summon up the impressive sight on command.

S - The first part of the let down for me. I don't get the complex dark ripened fruit that I was anticipating. Instead I get the distinct booziness of the brew along with a definite blast of oak.

T - Follows the nose largely and I am sorry to say that I don't get the rich complex fruit flavor initially. As it warmed it improved, but still I was a little let down.

M - Very solid. Thick and somewhat oily and slick. It is very good; besides the appearance, I think that the mouthfeel is the next best element of the experience.

D - You can definitely pick up the booze. One small bottle and I can definitely feel that I am on my way to nighty night. You have been warned, be careful.

Given the price of acquiring these, I'd purchase the Westy bottles over these every day of the week. I am glad I got the chance to finally cross this one off the list, but I don't think that I will search this one out as much as I did for this one. I'll have to try it again given that I still have 2 more bottles and see if I like it more the second time around.

Beerisheaven, Nov 26, 2009
4.68/5  rDev +12%

Motor oil black in color, the beer effortlessly forms a 2 inch, frothy, dark brown head. Great lacing down the glass, the head holds for several minutes. The beer looks alive but it begs to be drunk. Aroma is a wonderful melange of dark fruit, chocolate, oak, and a little bretty must. Taste is quite amazing from start to finish; I liken it to a teeter totter like tightrope walk with a rebalancing interplay of slightly sour dark fruit, mild roasted bitterness, and a semi-sweet chocolate flavor. Beer is full bodied, with above average carbonation which works well for me. The carbonation is tight and imparts a delicate, silky mouthfeel to the brew. Alcohol level is masked completely with the exception of a slight warming feel in the finish. I thoroughly enjoyed this one and would seek it out.

Nick3, Nov 23, 2009
4.7/5  rDev +12.4%

Consumed from my Liefman's goblet about a week after shipment arrived from Belgium. Served from the cellar, not refrigerated.

Light effervescence, more so than most stouts and certainly with more head than my Black Albert experiences. Color was nearly black, though allowed light through with a deep brown-orange. Beautiful.

The nose was complex fruit and dark malts with the oak sourness. Taste was a terrific surprise - more tart and fruity than the deep black color or great scent even would have me suspecting. Definitely can still taste the Black Albert, but he's in the background of the fruit overtones and rich oak. All of these characteristics were extremely well balanced.

Truth serum: I would put this in the best 5 beer experiences I've ever had. I'd take out a loan for a case if one was available in the US. Alas.

wunderbeer, Nov 13, 2009
4.38/5  rDev +4.8%

Consumed in the early morning of 11/1/2009 and poured into a snifter. The clock on my computer actually just set itself back for Daylight Savings Time as I was typing that first sentence. Thanks for the trade Bankhead (you might have cursed me). A delicate pour yields a near black liquid with a fantastic Sepia head with excellent retention and beautiful lacing. The beer looks fantastic. I don't recall having seen a beer looking this marvelous in my life. I don't think it's too late to retract that last statement, but perhaps it is...

The nose is lightly roasted malts with a light aroma of dark fruits. The dark fruits remind me of plums and unripe red grapes. As the beer warms, the dark fruit character becomes more pronounced, with notes of oak. Brett is apparent, imparting a wet leather and slightly musty aroma. There's a mild tartness in the nose that I wasn't expecting, but it's interesting and it complements the dark fruits, adding a vinous quality. There's chocolate in the nose that is neither dark nor milk, yet somewhere in between the two. As I plunge my nose into the snifter, I'm met with alcohol vapors that remind me of the strength of the beer. The 13% ABV isn't present in the sense that you'd expect that level of alcohol to be, but it's also not dormant. You can definitely tell there's a decent level of ABV in Delphine (the whore). A subtle smoke character becomes apparent with warming.

The taste is immediately tart at a low level and tannic, with notes of musty Brett. The dark fruit component comes into play and it's reminiscent of unripe grapes, unripe plums, and possibly dark cherries. Those are probably also not quite ripe. Interestingly enough, the regular stout characteristics one might expect follow behind these sour dark fruit flavors. Chocolate is neither dark nor milk. There is no coffee, and there is very little roast. I don't know that Russian Imperial Stout is an accurate description for this beer. I think it's much more interesting than that. The unripe dark fruit character is present in varying degrees of intensity throughout the flavor, interchanging with chocolate and wood notes. The roast is light at all times. I don't get much yeast character. The finish is chocolate tannic alcoholic sour and tart dark fruits. Alcohol doesn't seem as strong as 13%, but the beer still tastes quite alcoholic. Perhaps the complexities of the beer purport to mask the ABV. The beer is light full bodied with a moderately high level of carbonation and a sticky, creamy, and smooth mouthfeel.

This beer took me by surprise. I did not like the batch of Black Albert that I had, but this stuff is complex and drinkable at the same time.

HopHead84, Nov 01, 2009
4.35/5  rDev +4.1%

A: Almost black with a small pale beige head that leaves a thin lid of lacings.

S: Mellow roasted malts and chocolate blend nicely with tart fruity aromas and a somewhat funky oak character. The oak is subtle, but still very noticeable. Not a lot of bourbon though.

T: Very good. Surprisingly tart with a prominent barrel character. Roasted and sweet malts, cherry-like fruits and chocolate. A mild funky note. Not a whole lot of bourbon in the taste either, except for in the finish where it comes through as sweetish and somewhat fruity alcohol. The finish is somewhat bitter with notes of iron, wood and licorice.

M: Full bodied, quite a lot of carbonation, much more than most beers of this strength.

D: I really liked this one. The fruity tartness adds a beautiful edge to it and the barrel character has that slightly odd Belgian feel over it. To me, putting Black Albert in barrels turned out to be a great idea.

ricke, Sep 21, 2009
4.9/5  rDev +17.2%

An outstanding beer. I was thrilled to be able to grab ahold of this one. Small bottle was served chilled and poured into a pint glass, consumed on 08/29/2009.

One of the best looking pours I have ever seen hands down. Deep dark black in color. Huge tan head comes up and over the top and really fills the glass right to the rim. Hardly anything falls off of it for several minutes. Huge amounts of sticky tan foam all up and down the sides of the glass. Tons of chocolate and fruit notes just jumping out at you from the very first touch of it to the air. Notes of whickey, hints of oak and rich chocolate are all infused together seemlessly to put a wonderful touch on it. Enornously fell feel here, with huge carbonation just lets the flavor coat the entire tongue and really just gives it a wonderful sense of fullness to it. Rich chocolate and licorice notes just play off each other soo well. This was just wonderfully done. Hints of grapes, touches of almost apples coming through now. Very rich. Nice boozy and oak notes now coming through and giving it a very nice balance and richness. Fades out slowly with a touch of funk on the tongue and a finish that leaves a touch of vanilla across the tongue and a warming in the belly.

Blows black albert out of the water. It is really put together wonderfully I have to say. I would have no issue at all with having this one around all the time, it really is just that good. A case here where something almost needs some more hype!

mikesgroove, Aug 31, 2009
4.28/5  rDev +2.4%

Bottle at home. Thanks to DerDoppelbock for bringing this to my house.
Big 1,5l bottle, Black Albert label with a small label on the top written Cuvee Delphine 2007. Deep black in the glass, almost no head. Very complex aroma, prickly-malty, intense fruity. Starts milder than exspected, complex maltiness with an increasing dryness, modest chocolate-notes. Finish wood and smoke, very light notes of coffee. Very balanced and round finish, warming aftertaste. Really a great beer!

kappldav123, Jul 26, 2009
4.43/5  rDev +6%

Thanks to eyebrews for throwing me a couple bottles of this one. Served in an O'Hara's mini pint glass. Lot A, best before May 2014.

A - Huge dark tan foam on this one - even in the little glass there was like three fingers. Amazing retention and volume for a 13% beer; tons of sticky lacing too. Black, with a touch of red-brown at the fringes. Just an amazing looking beer.

S - This is not really what I was expecting from a barrel-aged Black Albert. There's the spicy Belgian-style yeast and candy sugar for sure, but then this unusual collection of vinous fruits, bourbon/vanilla notes, some nuttiness and cocoa, a touch of funk, and musty earthiness. The alcohol is actually better hidden than regular Black Albert. The only knock is that the smell doesn't explode out of the glass.

T - The taste is quite different, with licorice, vinous and dark fruits, and some roasted malts. The earthy funky flavors are a little more understated than in the smell, but still present. The bourbon influence is light, showing up at the back end with some sharp whiskey bite and woody tannins that linger well into the aftertaste. There's a surprising tartness that pops up as well.

M - The body is a little thinner than I expected, but with lower carbonation than Black Albert. The finish is dry with a touch of stickiness, and some nice alcohol warmth.

D - The 250ml serving size makes a lot of sense. Even though the alcohol is very well hidden the buzz creeps up pretty quickly. Still I feel a little sad that my glass is getting low - I'll have to get Urbain to send a few of these my way.

This is not at all what I expected when I heard they were barrel-aging Black Albert. I just expected the same beer with some bourbon, but this is quite a different animal and an unexpected surprise. I'm not sure if Four Roses barrels are more conducive to bugs, but there's something funky going on that makes this a unique treat.

MasterSki, Jul 23, 2009

Got this in a trade from ggaughan. Thanks again man!

25cl small sleek bottle. The label reads Cuvee Delphine / Truth Can Set You Free

Poured a deep black into my Brooklyn snifter. Retains a nice pillowy head with small brown bubbles; frothy at the edges.

The aroma on this beer is incredible. Sweet maple syrup, plums, chocolate, there's a bit of alcohol on the nose, like a sweet red wine.

First sip blew me away. A bit of tartness hits the tip of the tongue and explodes into an amazing array of flavor. A sweet, molasses, almost cola flavor flows into a real mild alcohol burn that tickles the back of the throat. It has a little pucker to it at the end.

Mouthfeel is equally outstanding on this one. It starts off a little thin but lays pretty heavy at the back of the tongue. Feels almost like a beer milkshake, so creamy and chewy.

I'm pretty happy to have had a chance to try this beer. Easily one of the best beers I've tasted. I love the Black Albert, but I would marry this beer if it was legal to.

jfunkk79, Jul 09, 2009
4.38/5  rDev +4.8%

So excited about this one, how could it live up to my expectations? We'll see....

A--Pitch black with massive, fluffy brown head in my 16 oz. Dogfish Head Signature glass. Nice lacing.

S--Some wheat-like notes...clove, lemon zest. Very slight hint of liquor, dark fruit

T--Ummm...tastes pretty much like wood aged Black Albert. No suprises here...they brewed it, you got it. Take a random sampling of Black Albert reviews and add the word "oak" and presto, a Cuvee Delphine review. And much like Black Albert, this one needs to be close to room temperature to truly be appreciated. Seriously, don't drink it cold...cellar temp might even be too cold for this beer. Let it sit. Resist temptation.

M--Full bodied, just how it should be

D--Nice to have a glass of this rare treat, I will bring it out my remaining bottles on special occasions. Drinks almost identical to Black Albert, so if you like that beer then seek this one out. However, if you don't like it, then leave this one alone because it is very similar.

alcstradamus, Jul 07, 2009
4.18/5  rDev 0%

Pours a murky brown to black in color, plenty of sediment is evident near the end of the pour as it gets slightly thicker, almost chunkier. Decent sized crimson hued tan head rests atop and slowly fades back to a ring around the glass. Aroma is nice and yeasty, milk, molasses, sugar, a bit of charred wood and booziness. Taste shows some sweet ripe vinuous fruit notes that blends with a tanginess. Licorice and vanilla sweetness, some woodiness towards the finish before a decent bite of warming alcohol. Mouthfeel is a medium to full body, fairly active but soft and creamy carbonation, decent amount of dryness in the finish along with the warmth in the throat form the alcohol. The sweetness and drying woodiness blend well together and the abv, though slightly forward is pleasing and in the right amount. Very interesting beer, well balanced feel. The bourbon did not come thru quite as much as I expected.

hoppymeal, Apr 28, 2009
4.6/5  rDev +10%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Aged on Four Roses whisky and it shows. Absolutely great beer that beats the original Black Albert (non-aged). The whisky isn't dominant like in comparable beers but perfectly in balance with the RIS. Mouthfeel is wonderful, full and warming but certainly not alcoholic. A bad thing in most 10%+ beers. It's no beer to drink alle evening but it certainly goes down easy. I must get met some more.

johnnybravo, Apr 22, 2009
4.38/5  rDev +4.8%

Samples tasted during the Pre-ZBF festival at Alvinne. Beer poured a deep, dark black colored body with a thick tan head. The nose had strong notes of roasted malt, coffee, cocoa. Taste provides some further wood character along with nice coffee and cocoa notes and there is a bit of sweetness as well. The higher abv is present but not overly boozy. Full body and full of taste. Worth seeking out.

ggaughan, Mar 08, 2009
1.15/5  rDev -72.5%

On tap on Kulminator in Antwerp. Pours black with a small khaki head on top. Aroma is--uh oh--more infected BA stout from Struise. These guys have not had a good year with their barrels. Sour apple, funky smokey peat, roast. Flavor follows and is just unbearable. Sour smokey roast and some booze. Nothing else here. Thin body with medium carbonation. After my two infected Black Damnations and now this, I won’t be putting much money into Struise BA stouts in the future. This is a known problem and they keep selling this garbage. Will have to try this again I guess. Kind of sad.

BMMillsy, Sep 12, 2014