Black Damnation IV - Coffee Club - De Struise Brouwers

De Struise Brouwers visit their website

American Double / Imperial Stout |  13.00% ABV

Beer added by: alcstradamus on 03-14-2010

2.02/5  rDev -51%

This is my first review so I thought I would review something that left a less than mediocre taste in my mouth.

The bottle was split between my friend and I. Was poured into a snifter glass.

S: The smell was awful. It smelled like a stale concoction of coffee mixed with rotted broccoli. Not sure what it was, maybe a bad bottle. I kept it out of sun light and at a constant 60 degrees so I doubt it was infected due to me.

T: The taste was a little better than the smell but not much. Felt like I was drinking 5 day old coffee with some veggies that had been left on a dock for inspection.

M: The mouthfeel was average. But due to the taste, it felt like I was chewing it when it went down. I suppose it had the RIS feel but it was really hard to force it down since it was a thick mess of who knows what.

D: I had to let this go down the drain after finishing 3 quarters of it. I am surprised I lasted this long.

This beer did not leave a good impression with me. I expected more since I love Black Albert so much. If I ever see this on draft, I will have to try a small sized sample just to compare.

2.05/5  rDev -50.2%

2.08/5  rDev -49.5%

Bottle poured into my trusty Bells tulip glass this beer produces a thin mocha head that dissipates quickly.

S: I am not sure what this beer is supposed to smell like but I am sure it is not supposed to smell like freshly cooked asparagus. After the initial onslaught of stewed vegetables I get a faint coffee smell. This smell is horrid.

T: The taste actually follows the smell. This is all vegetable with some stale coffee. Color me not impressed by the smell of this beer.

M: The mouthfeel is redeeming. I find it to be on par with any other great imperial stout.

D: I poured this after trying to stomach it for 30 minutes. If I had a choice between this and triple bock I would pick triple bock each time.

I couldn't recommend this beer to anyone...unless they really enjoy stewed vegetables with stale coffee.

2.5/5  rDev -39.3%

2.75/5  rDev -33.3%

2.75/5  rDev -33.3%

2.9/5  rDev -29.6%

Had this on tap a Capone's during their Black Friday event. The beer came out in a small snifter glass and it looked like a liquified chocolate bar. The color was a muddy brown color with not much head on top. The smell of the beer reminded me of a chocolate milk shake... The aroma has lots of chocolate and coffee notes and yet they seem muted somehow. The taste of the beer is very bitter. There is a ton of bitter chocolate and coffee notes along with a hefty amount of Nobel Hop flavors too. The mouthfeel is thick, and leaves a film of your teeth. There beer also feels like liquified cocoa powder. Overall sadly I was not a fan of this beer at all. Maybe it was a bad pour or the beginning or end of the keg... Who knows but either way it was kind of a let down to me. It might be worth trying from a bottle.

2.97/5  rDev -27.9%

On draft at The Trappist in Oakland. From memory (hell, it was just a few hours ago).

A: Pours a pitch black body capped with a dark mocha head. Short retention, no lace; the collar is small, but there is a nice dark swirl on top of the beer.

S: This is surprisingly spicy. I kept quiet to see if t0rin0 and womencantsail would pick it up without prompting; they did. Smoky as well. This reminds me of my recent observation in Dark Horizon No. 3: I'm guessing the coffee is the culprit behind the smoked-chili effect in the nose. Rum is noticeable. Dark chocolate and molasses. A nice nose to be sure.

T: Lots of coffee and roast. The spice effect is found here too; we speculated that it might be a spiced rum, but maybe it's the burning effect you get from consuming pure sugar. Either way, the beer is not cloying. It is in fact more on the bitter side, with a dominant roast and slightly astringent finish. I pick up some vanilla as well. While it wasn't awful, I didn't care for it.

M: Full-bodied in flavor. It's pretty viscous, though not sludgy. I was surprised to see that this was 13%; it's not particularly boozy, though there is a light warmth. Smooth and comforting.

D: Despite the nose and mouthfeel, the beer didn't taste all that great, and I left a good portion of the 25cL glass on the table. I've never been impressed with Struise and this hasn't changed my feelings.

3.15/5  rDev -23.5%

Previous reviews lead me to believe that this beer would be light in carbonation so I poured straight down the middle of the glass to produce a thick black liquid with a good 4 inch mocha head that persisted forever. The smell is quite oxidized with bit of cardboard and wet dog. There's coffee and roast in the aroma with bits of ash and cardboard. Damn I hope this tastes better than it smells. Taste is thick roasty molasses and sugar. Bits of dark sugared fruit dipped in vodka round out the flavor. Thick body and syrupy mouthfeel, light level of carbonation. Rum barrel aged Black Albert had me quite excited, but the sample in my glass is quite disappointing. Oxidized syrupy and actually hard to drink. I hope I have a bad bottle, because up until now De Struise hasn't let me down.

3.36/5  rDev -18.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.25

Thanks to angrybabboon for sharing the bottle.

Appearance: Black, straight black. Pours thick and syrupy with a heavy carbonation given the viscosity. Dark khaki/tan head starts off massive and creamy. Drops to a small cap and small creamy collar. Minimal lacing. Vigorous swirl produces a sizable head that dissipates quickly.

Smell: Deeply roasted, like crazy roasted. Loaded with cocoa and bitter baker's chocolate. So dark it crosses in to alkali. Slight oxidation as well. Coffee beans and bitter pressed coffee. Deep dark fruit, plum and fig and cherry. A sharp bite of alcohol layered throughout. Red wine and chocolate. Milk and dark, Tons of coffee bean. Licorice and a touch of leather. Touches of char and burnt malt. Deep caramelized sweetness. Some chocolate cake as well. Cherry skin, some oak, and vanilla. Dense and deep.

Taste: Deep dark fruit and crazy roasted malts. A touch of char and burnt malt. Caramelized malts add a ton of sweetness. Cocoa and lots of it. Deep dark baker's chocolate pushes in to an almost metallic level. Some plum and fig as well. Chocolate - milk and dark - and bitter. Coffee beans and old over-extracted coffee. Some vague notions of licorice and old leather. Oxidized and deeply metallic without tasting like a battery. Burnt and charred. Almost smoky. Warming pushes the alkali cocoa taste up a bit much and the coffee beans take on an older quality.

Mouthfeel: Not quite as thick as the pour would indicate. Medium pushing toward full body with minimal carbonation. Slick and almost creamy. Surprisingly clean.

Overall: We're not just a beer we're a coffee club.

It's big and burly as expected. A bit over roasted and loaded with a bitter cocoa and alkali profile that ultimately hurts.

3.41/5  rDev -17.2%

On tap at Ebenezers.

A- Pitch black with a massive, creamy dark mocha head. It retains nicely but doesn't leave a lot of lace.

S- Coffee explosion. Just a ton of dark roast coffee, cocoa and malt.

T- Dark roast, bitter, coffee ground bonanza. It seems like a truckload of coffee goes into each keg of this. Some harsh alcohol at times. Dark malt and vanilla flavors as well.

MF- A bit lighter bodied than I expected. Alcohol fumes warm the palate. Roast bitterness level is huge in the finish.

One word: Coffee.

3.43/5  rDev -16.7%

On-tap at Ebenezer's.

Pours just about pitch black, 2-finger tan head settles to a thick ring pretty quickly, some lacing left.

Smells of intense coffee and booze. Taste is similar...strong coffee, roasted coffee beans, very boozy on the finish, though I got used to that after some time. Some chocolate and big vanilla sweetness as it warms. A bit of dark fruit. Decent mouthfeel, way too boozy.

Not bad, nice intense coffee flavor here, but the alcohol detracts big time. It got better as it warmed though.

3.45/5  rDev -16.3%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

On Tap @Local Option event 12/15- served in a small snifter

Appearance- Black with a thick chocolate colored head.

Aroma- Roast coffee, oak, a little dry.

Taste- A whole bunch of roast coffee, a bit of the barrel and of course dark fruits. The quest to find a rum barrel aged beer I really like continues.

Mouth/Drink- Sits heavy and is a bit cloying.

Overall I will take Black Albert over this version any day of the week.

3.6/5  rDev -12.6%

I saved this beer for review number 666, get it, damnation? Anyway, I drank this from 11.2oz bottle into my Orval glass.

The beer pours black with a nice light tan head. The head rises about two fingers but is gone right away. Light lacing.

The aroma is strong and gives off a really nice strong coffee aroma then some subtle notes of vanilla, and tobacco.

The taste is all coffee, its not balanced at all which is a little boring. Not a huge coffee fan so its too much for me. Wish it was a little sweeter, there is a little vanilla on the finish but not enough.

Overall, this is awesome, easy to drink, lots of coffee, but not dominated by the coffee.

Re-review when I was about 5 times less hammered. Much lower review sober. So moral of the story this is awesome HAMMERED 10 beers on a Saturday night. If its your first might not make it through.

3.61/5  rDev -12.4%

Thanks to Adam and Matt for this one. 11.2oz. bottle poured into a Darkness snifter.

A: A deceptively carbonated beer. Gentle pour yields a slowly rising, and rising, and rising 3 finger, thick, rich, mocha head with great retention. Beer itself is appropriately opaque black, thick, and viscous. Lacing is pretty outrageous. Patterned, good legs, and great stick.

S: Nose is basically all mocha with just the slightest hints of chocolate and sweet soy sauce. Simple and to the point though not quite as sweet as I would like.

T: Opens milk chocolate and a sprinkle of hoppiness. Middle is sweet soy sauce, booze, liquified prunes and raisins, and just a touch of chocolate and roasted malt sourness. Finishes milk chocolate, cocoa, and dark fruit. Aftertaste is cocoa and roasted malt bitterness.

M: Full bodied and moderately carbonated. Oily and viscous in the mouth though not as smooth as I would like due to a good amount of bubbles. Finish is messy and aftertaste lingers.

D: Nothing too crazy and not nearly as good as Cuvee Delphine if we're talking similar beers. However, still well crafted and worth trying if you get the chance. Complex and a sexy looking beer... feel is a bit off though.

3.7/5  rDev -10.2%

The last of the trifecta. At Max's of course.

A: Black. See the others for what little additional descriptors are needed.

S: Sweet rum and coffee and roasted stout. Plenty of strenght. I'm surprised at the vivacity of the rum barrels.

T: Roasted malts, coffee and the residual sweetness of rum. A triple threat of richness. That being said, this is the least favorite of the three (II though IV). The rum, while adds sweetness, weighs the beer down. A rum barrel, IMHO, doesn't belong with beer. That may change in the future, but not now.

M: The mouthfeel, dark and roasted, seems at home with the dark sugary sweetness of the rum. I'm not sold, but they work well together.

D: At 13%, this is not a beer to experiment with. I shared it with the intrepid ksak but I wouldn't come back for another.

Black Damnation IV - Coffee Club from De Struise Brouwers