Black Damnation V - Double Black - De Struise Brouwers

Black Damnation V - Double BlackBlack Damnation V - Double Black

De Struise Brouwers visit their website

American Double / Imperial Stout |  26.00% ABV

Beer added by: alcstradamus on 03-14-2010

100% of Cuvée Delphine was used that was ice distilled to 26% of alcohol volume.
to view more.
Ratings: 297 | Reviews: 110
Reviews by bashiba:
4.43/5  rDev +0.5%

Poured a deep creamy dark black with a thick longg lasting creamy dark head.

The smell is heavy dark fruit and anise with a bit of dark smoke and alcohol.

The flavors are intense, huge anise and the most intense black and burnt stout taste with heavy alcohol notes and more charred smoke bi in finish, the flavor is unbeleivable.

The mouthfeel is the best I have ever felt, so creamy and full and thick.

This is pretty special, very intense and a sipper, but so very good.

First I must say I got to taste this on Zwanze day at Novare Res. I was there early with my wife and was told by a friend to ask about the imperial stout. I asked the manager/bartender about it he said if you like imp. stout your gonna want to try this. Before he finished I ordered and a few minute later he presented us the beer and only told me after i had tasted it that it was Damnation V.

This beer is beautiful black one of the darkest I've come across. The head is thick dark brown color and is very creamy

The aroma is all over the place, in a good way, roasted malts, chocolate, coffee with dashes of raisin and anise.

First wow, I must say the taste is excellent. I told my wife if we didn't get to try Zwanze I would leave happy. The taste is creamy, big roasted flavor, but not burnt, perfect. The other flavors of sweet chocolate and anise round in with a hint of smoke round out this beer.

WOW at 26% hard to tell this is one of the if not the best beer I've ever had had

4.12/5  rDev -6.6%

Thanks to Cavie for sharing this bottle.

The beer pours an inky black color with a dark brown head. The aroma is very strong with a lot of chocolate and roasted malt notes. There is also a lot of oak and some bourbon notes in the aroma. Alcohol is also a big player in the smell of the beer, as can be expected from a beer this strong.

The flavor is similar. The two most prominent flavors are heavily roasted malt and chocolate. I also get some strong bourbon notes and some oak. The alcohol is also very present. I also can't quite put my finger on it, but there is something in the flavor that doesn't quite sit right with me.

The mouthfeel is about as thick as I have ever come across in a beer and the carbonation is low.

4.25/5  rDev -3.6%

Bottle (2008)

Thanks for opening this one with me, nakalakaboom!

(Aged for 3+ years)

Black on black with a surprisingly large (for the style and ABV) dark brown head that leaves the glass oily and spotted with stick. Very impressive looking beer.

The aroma is quite incredible and expressive, and better at the cooler temperatures. The aroma is a fantastic combination of coffee, dark chocolate, dark fruits, roast, a hint of smoke, and some definite alcohol. Zero complaints.

The flavor is very nice too, though it does somewhat fall apart as the beer warms up closer and closer to room temperature. The flavor is full of chocolate, dark fruits, roasted malt, barrel, and a hint of smoke. The alcohol becomes more and more dominant as the beer warms, which is to be expected.

Full bodied, slightly oily, with moderate carbonation.

So pleased to have been able to try this. It's fantastically drinkable for the ABV, and quite the accomplishment.

4.32/5  rDev -2%

75cl bottle I picked up at the Alvinne bottle shop in Belgium and shared with friends at TJ's on 29.12.08. The beer poured a black so black and dense with a deep tan head but no real carbonation. The aroma had has some dark chocolate notes, wood as well. The taste is dried fruit and chocolate up front with some high abv notes although this is a pretty drinkable beer but best shared with friends. Definitely pick it up if you can.

4.68/5  rDev +6.1%

I got this beer with thanks to the Brabander. Thanks again man for getting this massive one for me. Last friday I had a good opportunity with my wife, my friend Ed and his wife Astrid to open one bottle.

A - A pitch black beer with a brown head. You can just see that this is a heavy beer! - This is motor oil!

S - What a wonderful smell of chocolate, cherries and spices such as cinnamon and cardamom and don't forget the booze.

T - Wow! A powerful sweet taste of chocolate and booze with hints of dark fruit, herbs / spices (like in a gingerbread kind of way)

M - A low carbonation that fits perfectly with a sipper beer like this. Sticky in the mouth, such as syrup, and spicy due to the herbs. This is excellent beer syrup!!!

O - A great beer, nice spiciness and sticky. Worth buying but far too expensive compared to the experience. We all loved it though!

I had another opportunity to taste this beer again on the 11th of December 2011 at a perfect beer tasting at Erik's place. With thanks to Jeff too. I am altering my review after this session; appearance, mouth feel and overall should be a half point more than before.

3.43/5  rDev -22.2%

Pours oily black with virtually no head. Reddish brown highlights in the colour as we sip it.A Bitterness that gets worse not better as you drink it. It becomes altogether not such a great bitterness and that limits the drinkability as does the extremely high abv. An OK smell. In a word,Unbalanced. Liam's bomber straight from the brewery this year.

2.75/5  rDev -37.6%

A huge thanks to Mikey711 (Mikey) for this one. 2oz. pour from a capped and foiled 750ml bottle into a stemless wine glass. Had at a tasting on 6/4/11. Reviewed from notes.

A: Standard pour yields a .25 dark mocha head with great retention. Beer is a dark, opaque, motor oil black. Lacing is spotty and stringy with decent cling and thick, oily legs. A masterpiece considering how heavy it looks.

S: Nose is straight booze that covers almost everything else. Some chocolate and molasses make its way out little by little but the alcohol covers everything else. Not a fan.

T: Opens sweet soy sauce, chocolate, raisins, booze, mocha and molasses throughout. Sharp booze lingers in the background. Chocolate and molasses in the finish with an added touch of cocoa in the aftertaste. Nice but not much above average.

M: Full to super-full bodied. Sludgy and thick in the mouth almost like a protein shake. No carbonation. Oily and filmy going down. Messy finish with a lingering aftertaste. Way over the top here. Too much body.

O: This is a meal in a glass. Again, I'm not sure I'm drinking the same beer as those that say this beer hides its abv well.I could barely choke down 2oz. of this monster. In a world of over-the-top beer, this one is king. It's not for me though.

3.76/5  rDev -14.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Thanks to Maltzilla for sending this bottle my way.

A: Black, and thick, I mean really thick. I have never seen this thick a beer before. It left impressive lacing behind that was incredibly difficult to wash off of the glass.

S: Very chocolately with some hints of bourbon and vanilla. Lots of roasty notes with a little bit of dark fruit as well

T: Heavy chocolate and roast with dark fruit notes as well. Big toffee molasses and brown sugar flavor as well

M: it is literally a milk shake. Each sip felt thicker than the last. The alcohol was present but was hidden more by the fact this beer was so thick

D: What a monster of a beer. I took one sip and felt it go straight to my head. Be advised that this beer needs to be shared with probably ten people.

4.28/5  rDev -2.9%

Never thought i would try this on tap

Dark deep brownish black. If cola. Could be motor oil, this would be it. Light creamy chocolate head.

Very sweat and rich. Tons of chocolate and molasses with hints of toffee. Booze was hidden quite well, only a trace of heat.

Similar to the smell. Very sweet and rich. Dark chocolate milk with dark fruit. Various hints of molasses and toffee.

Mild carbonation. Insanely thick, thickest i have had. Tingle across the tongue from the alcohol.

This was good, better than i had expected.

4.35/5  rDev -1.4%

750ml bottle. Insane for a beer like this to come in that size bottle.

Well, what can I say? It’s black. Not surprising. Dark brown one finger head.

The aroma is roast, coffee, hops, and slight booze. Not as strong of an aroma as I’d expect.

The flavor is like the Energizer bunny though...it just keeps going, as they say in "The Sandlot", FOR-EV-ER. Really. Intense dark chocolate, molasses, roast, coffee, and alcohol.

Not boozy for 26%, but you can feel it in the palate. The mouthfeel is like syrup. Intense as all hell, and almost impossible to get down. Like a triple imperial stout almost, totally insane. But I love it.

These guys did something ridiculous here, and I really respect them for it. Damn, this is insane, in a good way, or in a bad way. I don’t even know anymore. My drunkenness just doubled on this 4oz pour. Damn. Seems like you could leave this open and drink it over a period of months, like Utopias.

4.19/5  rDev -5%

750 mL bottle poured into my CBS snifter. Thanks to Jcb890 for this bottle! Split three ways.

Appearance - I have never seen a blacker stout. Hunahpu is thick and black. This is blacker. None more black. Amazingly large head for 26%. By that I mean it's a one finger mocha head, but it lasts forever. The lacing is more due to the thickness than anything else, but it clings to the glass and stains it like no other stout.

Smell - Well, it's boozy. I get nothing else in the nose but booze. Nostril-burning booze. Maybe some roasted malts.

Taste - Dark roast extravaganza. It's like burnt chocolate, vanilla, and coffee. Black coffee in the finish. Really an amazing flavor. This is what I look for in stouts. The downside is that the alcohol overwhelms the finish.

Mouthfeel - Thick and incredibly viscous. Slick and chewy. All the great things I love about stouts. And then there's the burn. Wow. I coughed after one of the initial sips. Even so, this is far easier to drink than Black Tuesday.

Overall - There's no other beer like this. An amazing feat that a brewer was able to make something this good at such a high ABV. The faults are blatantly because of the alcohol, but I give this a 5.0 overall because there's really nothing that can be done about it. It's 26% alcohol and it's delicious.

4.12/5  rDev -6.6%

This one was shared by funkydelic with beeruser, StayWhatYouAre2, 67couple, others, and myself at a recent tasting graciously hosted by beeruser! Thank God we had quite a number of people to get down on this 750 mL bottle! Served from bottle into a Duvel Parra tulip. Poured pitch black with a minimal brown head that subsided to none quickly (guess the booze ate it). No lacing evident on this one (booze must have been hungry again). The aroma was comprised of sweet malt, roasted malt, dark chocolate, smoke, and sweet alcohol. The flavor was of sweet malt, roasted malt, dark chocolate, wood, alcohol (duh!), subtle soy sauce, and smoke. It had a heavy mouthfeel on the palate with no carbonation. Ovearll this was a pretty good brew. We all found this one to be a little smokier than we were expecting. The aroma on this one was quite nice and inviting which is kind of scary for a monster like this. The sweet alcohol note on the nose is what really made this one for me as far as the aroma. However, on the flavor the sweet alcohol flavor went away and became the stinging kind of alcohol that makes you cringe slightly when taking a shot. Still not bad though as the smoke helped to balance this out and in some cases, even overpowered it. A really well done brew that I would have again; just not in a 750 mL format.

4.06/5  rDev -7.9%

(sampled at Dak’s Memorial Day tasting). Pours thick and black with a tan head. This just coats the glass. Aroma has alcohol and plenty of chocolate and bourbon. Taste is sweet with some roasty bitterness. Full bodied with a sticky texture. This is a really nice beer with a nice mix of sweetness, roasty bitterness and alcohol.

4.76/5  rDev +7.9%

Mmmm....the idea of non-infected Delphine condensed into 26% was too tempting. 75cl bottle, poured into a Founders snifter.

A - Pours very thick and black. 1/2" head forms and then slowly turns into lacing that coats most of the surface. Reforms at every sift. This beer STICKS to the glass. Just a perfect looking RIS.

A - Licorice, booze, dark malts and dark fruits, possibly raisin. Slight sweetness, but certainly a decent amount of booze.

T - Dark malts, dark fruits, slight roast, cocoa, mild oak on the finish and some toffee. Toffee mixed with dryness on the finish, as well as a little bit of burn on the throat at first. Nice smooth transition between flavors, which don't become truly complex until the back 1/2. Great flavor, but the fact that it covers the ABV% so well puts it over the top.

M - Thick, creamy, silky and intense. This is perfect. This is absolutely what I imagine the mouthfeel of the perfect RIS to embody. The drinkability is too good for something this strong.

O - This beer is almost perfect. The nose brings it down a little bit, but the rest is everything that an RIS should be. RIS shouldn't be medium bodied, medium flavored beers. They should be thick, they should be intense, and they should make motor oil jealous. This does just that. However, I can't say for sure that this is 26%, as I followed in Shogo's footsteps and I feel remarkably unscathed at the moment. Regardless, this is phenomenal.

3.93/5  rDev -10.9%

Had on tap at Zwanze Day Chicago. Served in a plastic cup. First beer of the day.

Appearance – Poured into my plastic cup with more than I was expecting/wanting knowing I had a full day of drinking amazing beer ahead of me. The viscosity on this beer is exactly how the name sounds. Held up to direct sunlight I was cast in a shadow. Slight carbonation has lingering bubbles up top hanging on to the sides of the cup.

Smell – Booze, heavy roasted malts, chocolate, dark fruits, and lots of molasses. This is going to be one sweet alcoholic beer.

Taste – Loads of chocolate and roast. The dark fruits (fig and plum) kept trying to fight their way to the front but the sweetness of molasses and brown sugar won out. Bourbon and vanilla round out the flavors.

Mouthfeel – I will say, this has to be one of the thickest beers I have experienced. To put it into perspective, I had to wash my cup out two times to get the remnants of this beer out. It just would not leave the sides of the cup. Lower carbonation but still decent enough for this high abv of a beer.

Overall – This is a beer I am glad I was able to try and not have to purchase on my own. To be blunt, I was not overly impressed by it. That said, I had to keep reminding myself of the alcohol content and how it really did not taste like I was drinking a 26% stout. I understand the pushing of boundaries and new limits, however, this beer is more of a novelty for me. I really did not enjoy it and I have no inclination to seek it out in the future. A monster of a beer.

4.53/5  rDev +2.7%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

On tap poured into a fluted stemware. Surprised to see a keg of this make it all the way over to California, but glad to try it. Beer pours pitch black, completely opaque with a finger and a half of thick creamy brown head. Surprisingly long head retention, leaving thick patches of lacing. The beer itself is very viscous, with plenty of alcohol legs.

Nose is bourbon soaked dried dark fruits, cherry and plum mixed with a touch of wood tannin and vanilla, fruity dark chocolate, espresso, and dark caramel. There is a touch of Belgian yeast spice and lighter fruit esters as it warms as well. Beer smells sweet and rich, but not much booziness.

Taste follows the nose, big flavor without any harsh alcohol flavor. Leads with the dark fruit and dark chocolate flavors, sweet smooth dark caramel. A touch of espresso and dark roast malt bitterness mid palate to balance out the sweetness. Long lingering dark fruit, dark chocolate and roasty bitterness on the tongue, as the beer just sticks to the inside of your mouth with each sip.

Probably the thickest and most viscous beer I've tried, full body and sticky, but a decent amount of fine carbonation to help lighten the beer as it hits the tongue. For 26%, the alcohol is dangerously well hidden, but the big bold flavors led me to take small sips and let it sit on the tongue to really enjoy the beer.

4.89/5  rDev +10.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 5

Poured on tap into a snifter glass at Churchkey. only 4oz pour allowed (I mean it is 26%). From notes.

Real dark head. Super dark mocha brown top, with tight bubbles and lots of staying power. A walnut black body, not quite pitch black but still hard to say, always leaves a great 3mm collar while drinking. Very impressive and dark looking brew.

Nose hits with a real nice rush of impressive, subtle, and distinct senses. Light rauchbier like smoke mixing with mild coffee. Lots of fresh chopped and splintered wood. Dried figs, and soft raisins, and lots of charring roasted malt. It smells subdued, but incredibly complex.

Palate hits with a delicious fruit smoothness. Lingering roast coffee on the finish and a drying malt finish. Super silky with mild molasses. Wine like thick deep red cab sauv body. Some little tight carbonation on the tip of the tongue. Lots of lingering roast, and smokey fruits on the finish. Lasting, delicate, and unique.

Overall it reminds me of a superior Marshal Zhukov, and you can't even tell this is 26% abv. Just a wonderful drink all around. This might be my new favorite large stout I've had to date. Mind blown.

3.9/5  rDev -11.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 3.75

Reviewing the infamous Black Damnation V (Double Black), an eised barrel aged Russian imperial stout from De Struise Brouwers our of Belgium. This beer is their Cuvee Delphine (bourbon barrel aged Black Albert), ice distilled to 26% ABV.

Score: 87

2010 vintage bottle, Lot B. "Best by" 2016. Served in a Black Damnation tulip taster and enjoyed on 07/12/14. Thank you Paul for sharing this one!

Appearance: Pours a viscous, motor oil color with no head. Minimal pop to the uncorking of the synthetic cork. Has a crazy browning effect from the swirl with chunky lacing and good legs. This brew looks imposing. 4.5/5

Smell: Roasted chocolate, tobacco, malt and black licorice. Bourbon, alcohol (though not nearly as much as you would expect from a 26% ABV monster), cherry, plum and caramelized sugars too. A touch of cardboard-like oxidation. Those nose is solid, with average integration, but it is nothing particularly amazing. The nose is big and bold and can be smelled a foot away from the glass. 3.75/5

Taste: Taste just like it smells with a strong fruity oxidation character to the finish. Caramelized sugars/brown sugar, barley malt, dark fruit chocolate and tobacco are the primary flavors through and in the linger. Less bourbon character in the taste than in the nose. This beer is surprisingly "smooth" for 26% ABV -- with three to four years of age on it, this beer lacks the "here I am, rock you like a hurricane" heat of higher (but relatively lower) ABV brews like World World Stout and Black Tuesday. Lots of lasting fruitiness/oxidation and tobacco/dark fruit flavor to the finish. 3.75/5

Mouthfeel: Full bodied, minimal carbonation. The mouthfeel is so viscous and chewy. Big, lasting flavors coat the palate. Has a flavor profile consisting of sweet components that does not come across as being "sweet" a la Double Barrel Hunahpu's. 4.75/5

Overall: A good/solid, but not great or "cannot miss stout" in my opinion. I have had better bottles of this, but never one I had a good pour of that was quality enough to justify the high retail price tag or secondary market trade value. The flavor profile here reminds me of Double Barrel Hunahpu's, minus the spices/peppers, with relatively poorer integration. Among the many hard-to-get, highly touted beers out there, this one is notably skippable; tickers and completionists be forewarned.

Cost: $50 for a 750 ml bottle.

4.65/5  rDev +5.4%

missed out on the big tasting but was ucky enugh to be able to grab a few of the smaller bottlers and shared one with alex

very deep dark black with a minimal say one inch of thick brown head that faded rather quickly leaving behind just a touch of film across the top and a nice amount of side glass lace. Absolutely opaque, no light was coming though on this one.

Smell was very full and rich, and very smoked. A ton of chocolate could be picked up at first, but this mellowed and mixed with some oak and caramel aromas. Deep sense of roasted malts comes over you, no taste of the ABV. A full on roasted and smoked malts explosion takes hold on the first sip. Deep roasted flavors, mixed in with chocolate and a robust full earthy feel. This was really complex and very smooth. Had the thick consistency of a shake like dessert, but without the carbonation. Lots of wood and oak like flavors came though out. I was shocked by how mellow this was. It really offered me no idea of how strong it was and I was able to sip through the bottle with ease.now we were hurting later, but it was worth it

4.2/5  rDev -4.8%

Sludgy, syrupy, and black as pitch. Thick legs with a lasting head. The appearance is much more "beer-like" than Utopias, Dave and other beers of this magnitude. Impressive.

Surprisingly little booze on the nose, I'm impressed. A lot of licorice, molasses, dark chocolate and oak, subtle notes of bourbon and smoke. Rich.

The palate is very good, but almost too intense. Big molasses note up front, backed by black licorice, dark chocolate and charred oak. Little noticeable alcohol on the tongue, drinks like a beer of half the ABV. Quite a feat of brewing, but it's fatiguing to drink after a couple ounces. The body is viscous to the extreme; amazingly, it makes beers like Black Tuesday seem lightweight. Finishes with deep tar and lingering roast, licorice, drying oak. While I'm amazed by how subdued the alcohol is, 2 oz was plenty for me, and I had no desire to go back for more. More technically impressive than it is enjoyable to drink.

4.18/5  rDev -5.2%

Huge thanks to bluebetty for teeing this up.

Thick tarry black with a decent half-finger brown head which surprises, given that I was expecting none. Leaves a yellowy slick when swirled against the sides.

Molasses, burnt tyres, peat, apple, scorched vegemite, 99% dark chocolate and soy sauce. Huge, but not 26% huge.

Tar, boozy raisins, smoke, molasses, apple, burnt caramel, burnt plastic and more miscellaneous burnt things. Surprisingly approachable, all things considered.

A f8cking behemoth in the mouth, but crazy smooth. Gets bigger, thicker, boozier and tougher to deal with over the course, but never overwhelms.

Like being pleasantly assaulted. Pretty outrageous brew that somehow manages a higher drinkability than many stouts half its strength.

4.43/5  rDev +0.5%

750ml bottle shared with some friends.

A- pours like used motor oil, some seriously viscous stuff. Surprisingly it pours with a nice head of some very dark bubbles. The beer coats the glass with an odd sheen, looks intense.

S- Smells pungent. Tons of oak and dark fruit. There is a smokey char scent to it. There is also some considerable booziness in the nose as well.

T- wickedly smooth, some plum, finishing with all sorts of oaky roasted character. Drinks like a beer with half of the ABV. A little sweetness, with some nice smokey notes.

M- Pretty crazy how smooth this is. Still a bit hot, but the carbonation and body are wonderful.

O- met all of my high expectations. This beer is pretty stupedpous, and goes down way too easily. Paired wonderfully with some chocolate. I plan to sit on my other bottle for a few more years to see if it mellows out.

4.6/5  rDev +4.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Reviewed from notes, and shared with my beer buddy Sam, and new found friends Eugene and Dylan, drank in Antwerp, belgium and bought from the Kulminator for 45 euros. Great price.

A - Very deep ebony colour with an oily appearance, absolutely no head but kind of expected that. The lace seems to just drain down the sideof the glass.

S - Not too bad for its ABV. Dark malts present, with vanilla and an array of dark fruits. Alcohol nowhere to be seen.

T - Fruit flavours up front, that are completely eclipsed by a wooden oak flavour, followed by intense vanilla, intense coffee, brandy, chocolate and then a little alcohol kick. Insane.

M - Only one way to describe it and thats thick, full bodied viscous. Almost no carbonation.

O - This is one of those beers that you'll never forget. It is an experience to say the least. It almost belongs in a category of its own. Dare I say it, but a masterpiece.

4.82/5  rDev +9.3%

Struise Black Damnation V Double Black
Bought at the Struise store in Brugge, Belgium on 12-28-2011

Appearance: very dark brown, no bubbles in syrup-like lacing, and a small dark head.

Smell: roasted chocolate, malty cocoa, and faint hops.

Taste: roasted malty rich dark chocolate, vanilla, and faint sweet hops.

Mouthfeel: thick, slightly heavy, yet very smooth.

Overall:
This is fantastic. It has wonderful flavor and the alcohol is unnoticeable. It is a must try for stout fans. 26% ABV is no joke.

to view more.