Black Damnation V - Double Black - De Struise Brouwers

Black Damnation V - Double BlackBlack Damnation V - Double Black

De Struise Brouwers visit their website

American Double / Imperial Stout |  26.00% ABV

Beer added by: alcstradamus on 03-14-2010

100% of Cuvée Delphine was used that was ice distilled to 26% of alcohol volume.
Reviews by zhanson88:
4.11/5  rDev -5.9%

Appearance: Pours out absolutely pitch black, and has the consistency of oil. Very viscous. Probably the best combination of color and viscosity that I have seen in a stout. A dark khaki head slowly forms via tiny bubbles of carbonation, and that head has surprisingly good retention and lacing. Overall a fantastic looking stout.

Smell: A deep roasted malt backbone is apparent, as well as some tobacco and sweet black licorice. A bit of barrel remains, and some booziness, but both are very much in the background. The booziness I get is surprisingly low for a 26% ABV beer. Does not wow me, nor is it overly complex, but still very good.

Taste: Roasted malt character and bitter tobacco are the dominant components here for sure. However, there is plenty of sweetness in the form of vanilla, black licorice, and hints of barrel to offset. Does have some booziness, but does not come remotely close to drinking to its ABV.

Mouthfeel/Overall: Mouthfeel is extremely full, with a low level of fine carbonation. Very good. Overall, this is an enjoyable beer, and was much easier to finish a bottle off solo than I feared it would be. Certainly worth a look if you can get a hold of a bottle.

4.74/5  rDev +8.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Poured a thick viscous stream. Used the 8cl stem taster made for the beer so couldn't be too aggressive on the pour, resulted in very little head. Doesn't have much leg like a lot of high ABV beers such as Bruery or Utopias. Smell sweet with increase alcohol presence in the aroma as it got warm. Doesn't taste sweet at all though. Dry bitter chocolate, roasty, ever increasing alcohol presence with warmer temperature, but definitely well-hidden for 26% ABV. Mouthfeel follows the pour.

Couldn't drink a lot of but it is a beautifully done beautiful imperial stout. Definitely great for a big share. Will be looking to get another bottle.

First I must say I got to taste this on Zwanze day at Novare Res. I was there early with my wife and was told by a friend to ask about the imperial stout. I asked the manager/bartender about it he said if you like imp. stout your gonna want to try this. Before he finished I ordered and a few minute later he presented us the beer and only told me after i had tasted it that it was Damnation V.

This beer is beautiful black one of the darkest I've come across. The head is thick dark brown color and is very creamy

The aroma is all over the place, in a good way, roasted malts, chocolate, coffee with dashes of raisin and anise.

First wow, I must say the taste is excellent. I told my wife if we didn't get to try Zwanze I would leave happy. The taste is creamy, big roasted flavor, but not burnt, perfect. The other flavors of sweet chocolate and anise round in with a hint of smoke round out this beer.

WOW at 26% hard to tell this is one of the if not the best beer I've ever had had

4.12/5  rDev -5.7%

Thanks to Cavie for sharing this bottle.

The beer pours an inky black color with a dark brown head. The aroma is very strong with a lot of chocolate and roasted malt notes. There is also a lot of oak and some bourbon notes in the aroma. Alcohol is also a big player in the smell of the beer, as can be expected from a beer this strong.

The flavor is similar. The two most prominent flavors are heavily roasted malt and chocolate. I also get some strong bourbon notes and some oak. The alcohol is also very present. I also can't quite put my finger on it, but there is something in the flavor that doesn't quite sit right with me.

The mouthfeel is about as thick as I have ever come across in a beer and the carbonation is low.

3.75/5  rDev -14.2%

Bottle (2008)

Thanks for opening this one with me, nakalakaboom!

(Aged for 3+ years)

Black on black with a surprisingly large (for the style and ABV) dark brown head that leaves the glass oily and spotted with stick. Very impressive looking beer.

The aroma is quite incredible and expressive, and better at the cooler temperatures. The aroma is a fantastic combination of coffee, dark chocolate, dark fruits, roast, a hint of smoke, and some definite alcohol. Zero complaints.

The flavor is very nice too, though it does somewhat fall apart as the beer warms up closer and closer to room temperature. The flavor is full of chocolate, dark fruits, roasted malt, barrel, and a hint of smoke. The alcohol becomes more and more dominant as the beer warms, which is to be expected.

Full bodied, slightly oily, with moderate carbonation.

So pleased to have been able to try this. It's fantastically drinkable for the ABV, and quite the accomplishment.

4.75/5  rDev +8.7%

4.32/5  rDev -1.1%

75cl bottle I picked up at the Alvinne bottle shop in Belgium and shared with friends at TJ's on 29.12.08. The beer poured a black so black and dense with a deep tan head but no real carbonation. The aroma had has some dark chocolate notes, wood as well. The taste is dried fruit and chocolate up front with some high abv notes although this is a pretty drinkable beer but best shared with friends. Definitely pick it up if you can.

3.69/5  rDev -15.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

4.68/5  rDev +7.1%

I got this beer with thanks to the Brabander. Thanks again man for getting this massive one for me. Last friday I had a good opportunity with my wife, my friend Ed and his wife Astrid to open one bottle.

A - A pitch black beer with a brown head. You can just see that this is a heavy beer! - This is motor oil!

S - What a wonderful smell of chocolate, cherries and spices such as cinnamon and cardamom and don't forget the booze.

T - Wow! A powerful sweet taste of chocolate and booze with hints of dark fruit, herbs / spices (like in a gingerbread kind of way)

M - A low carbonation that fits perfectly with a sipper beer like this. Sticky in the mouth, such as syrup, and spicy due to the herbs. This is excellent beer syrup!!!

O - A great beer, nice spiciness and sticky. Worth buying but far too expensive compared to the experience. We all loved it though!

I had another opportunity to taste this beer again on the 11th of December 2011 at a perfect beer tasting at Erik's place. With thanks to Jeff too. I am altering my review after this session; appearance, mouth feel and overall should be a half point more than before.

3.43/5  rDev -21.5%

Pours oily black with virtually no head. Reddish brown highlights in the colour as we sip it.A Bitterness that gets worse not better as you drink it. It becomes altogether not such a great bitterness and that limits the drinkability as does the extremely high abv. An OK smell. In a word,Unbalanced. Liam's bomber straight from the brewery this year.

2.75/5  rDev -37.1%

A huge thanks to Mikey711 (Mikey) for this one. 2oz. pour from a capped and foiled 750ml bottle into a stemless wine glass. Had at a tasting on 6/4/11. Reviewed from notes.

A: Standard pour yields a .25 dark mocha head with great retention. Beer is a dark, opaque, motor oil black. Lacing is spotty and stringy with decent cling and thick, oily legs. A masterpiece considering how heavy it looks.

S: Nose is straight booze that covers almost everything else. Some chocolate and molasses make its way out little by little but the alcohol covers everything else. Not a fan.

T: Opens sweet soy sauce, chocolate, raisins, booze, mocha and molasses throughout. Sharp booze lingers in the background. Chocolate and molasses in the finish with an added touch of cocoa in the aftertaste. Nice but not much above average.

M: Full to super-full bodied. Sludgy and thick in the mouth almost like a protein shake. No carbonation. Oily and filmy going down. Messy finish with a lingering aftertaste. Way over the top here. Too much body.

O: This is a meal in a glass. Again, I'm not sure I'm drinking the same beer as those that say this beer hides its abv well.I could barely choke down 2oz. of this monster. In a world of over-the-top beer, this one is king. It's not for me though.

4.75/5  rDev +8.7%

3.76/5  rDev -14%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Thanks to Maltzilla for sending this bottle my way.

A: Black, and thick, I mean really thick. I have never seen this thick a beer before. It left impressive lacing behind that was incredibly difficult to wash off of the glass.

S: Very chocolately with some hints of bourbon and vanilla. Lots of roasty notes with a little bit of dark fruit as well

T: Heavy chocolate and roast with dark fruit notes as well. Big toffee molasses and brown sugar flavor as well

M: it is literally a milk shake. Each sip felt thicker than the last. The alcohol was present but was hidden more by the fact this beer was so thick

D: What a monster of a beer. I took one sip and felt it go straight to my head. Be advised that this beer needs to be shared with probably ten people.

Black Damnation V - Double Black from De Struise Brouwers