Black Damnation V - Double Black - De Struise Brouwers

Black Damnation V - Double BlackBlack Damnation V - Double Black

De Struise Brouwers visit their website

American Double / Imperial Stout |  26.00% ABV

Beer added by: alcstradamus on 03-14-2010

100% of Cuvée Delphine was used that was ice distilled to 26% of alcohol volume.
first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50 | 51-75  | next › last

First I must say I got to taste this on Zwanze day at Novare Res. I was there early with my wife and was told by a friend to ask about the imperial stout. I asked the manager/bartender about it he said if you like imp. stout your gonna want to try this. Before he finished I ordered and a few minute later he presented us the beer and only told me after i had tasted it that it was Damnation V.

This beer is beautiful black one of the darkest I've come across. The head is thick dark brown color and is very creamy

The aroma is all over the place, in a good way, roasted malts, chocolate, coffee with dashes of raisin and anise.

First wow, I must say the taste is excellent. I told my wife if we didn't get to try Zwanze I would leave happy. The taste is creamy, big roasted flavor, but not burnt, perfect. The other flavors of sweet chocolate and anise round in with a hint of smoke round out this beer.

WOW at 26% hard to tell this is one of the if not the best beer I've ever had had (991 characters)

33 CL. Bottle pourned into snifter.

Pours completely black, and is extremely thick. Small head present chewing tobacco brown in color. This smells like heaven, boozey, vanilla, coffee, bitter chocolate, malts. The taste is just plain breath taking. Boozey heat, bitter chocolate , coffee, vanilla, molasses, dark fruits plum and fig, and a boozey heat finish. The mouthfeel is just fantastic , so thick and so much carbonation is present when swishing this liquid around. It leaves the tongue tingling after ever sip.

I tried the cuvee delphine a few days ago, and I had hyped it up so much in my mind and was let down. The process they put cuvee delphine through to create this beer is a gift from god. What they've created in this beer is unvelieveable. I hope to try this one again.

Thanks Mark for this one ! (818 characters)

I don't give a lot of perfect scores but this was beyond any barreled RIS I've ever had. Super smooth and silky yet boldly flavored and balanced with a slight heat in the finish. (178 characters)

My buddy Scott and I took a trip up to Poperinge for some beer visits, and biked up from the train station to De Struise. We had a tour and tasting by (I believe) Carlo, one of the brewers. After some amazing beers, they let us try a cooled keg of Black Damnation V to be sold that day.

This beer was ridiculously delicious. 26% goes almost unnoticed. Its very, very thick with flavors of roasted malt, dark fruit/cherry notes, vanilla. Huge tan head tops a black body. But this does not do it justice.

Take a pint of the best stouts on beer advocate and concentrate their flavors into a single shot, then you're somewhere close to this beer. It is revolutionary, and may well change the standard. (699 characters)

had this beer two times now. The first time at the borefts beer festival and the second time at the struise brewery. The beer looks extremely dark,and when one shakes the glass a bit, it looks a bit like thick syrup. The smell is full of black fruits,some cherry,vanilla,wood,roasted malts and alcohol. Taste is exactly the same as the smell,with some creamy,salty undertone.nicely balanced bitterness. Mouthfeel is perfect,it almost sticks to the tongue. Overall a great beer,altough too high in abv. I just dont like this fashion in the world of beer to make beers with such high abv....,although the alcohol is extremely well hidden. damm,this stuff is good,hell yeah! (671 characters)

Had this at the borefts beer festival. Ron brought me a glass and I passed after he explained to me what it was... why... simply becuase most freeze/thaw concentrated beers are alcoholic and this puts me off. He guaranteed that this was not the case with this beer.

Wow, this dark, thick brew amazed me. Black fruits up front, hint of cherries, roasted malts and some wooden tones and I almost could not believen that this beer was 26%!!??

Great job Struise. Like it! (469 characters)

4.97/5  rDev +14.3%

On-tap at the Struise Old School. Simply put, this is the best beer I have had to date. Do I refer to how this beast doesn't seem like the high abv it is or as a fantastic stout? It doesn't drink like a 26% beer. It is carbonated with a lasting head. The booz doesn't beat you over the head. The bourbon is in there but not overpowering. Everything just comes together nicely. Glad I bought these; I can't imagine ever parting with my remaining bottles. (453 characters)

4.95/5  rDev +13.8%

On draft at the Holy Grale, served in a snifter

A: opaque dark brown, almost black in color, looks thick like motor oil, thin tan head that dissolves to a thin layer and leaves a small amount of lacing

S: dark chocolate and roasted espresso and malt, fusel alcohol, maybe a hint of dark fruit

T: dark chocolate, roasted malt, espresso coffee, some dark fruit, alcohol is definitely detectable but not near as pronounced as I expected and actually fairly well hidden for the ABV, somewhat bitter coffee aftertaste

MF: full bodied, low carbonation, very thick and smooth

O: very nice flavors, the alcohol is fairly well hidden for the ABV but will sneak up on you, this is definitely a sipper (697 characters)

4.92/5  rDev +13.1%

Yeah, I managed to get some bottles of this black gold, thanks struise for the perfect shipping! Pours a deep black color, the beer is very oily in the glass, it almost sticks to the sides. Taste: the beer is indeed a concentrated version of cuvee delphine. roasted malts, with hints of concentrated coffee, chocolate, bourbon, vanilla and much more, so complex. Taste is sirupy like and very rich in the mouth. Sensations of coffee, chocolate, smooth alcohol, vanilla, rich burned malts and honey and bourbon again. One of the best beers I ever had, with great aging potential (577 characters)

4.89/5  rDev +12.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 5

Poured on tap into a snifter glass at Churchkey. only 4oz pour allowed (I mean it is 26%). From notes.

Real dark head. Super dark mocha brown top, with tight bubbles and lots of staying power. A walnut black body, not quite pitch black but still hard to say, always leaves a great 3mm collar while drinking. Very impressive and dark looking brew.

Nose hits with a real nice rush of impressive, subtle, and distinct senses. Light rauchbier like smoke mixing with mild coffee. Lots of fresh chopped and splintered wood. Dried figs, and soft raisins, and lots of charring roasted malt. It smells subdued, but incredibly complex.

Palate hits with a delicious fruit smoothness. Lingering roast coffee on the finish and a drying malt finish. Super silky with mild molasses. Wine like thick deep red cab sauv body. Some little tight carbonation on the tip of the tongue. Lots of lingering roast, and smokey fruits on the finish. Lasting, delicate, and unique.

Overall it reminds me of a superior Marshal Zhukov, and you can't even tell this is 26% abv. Just a wonderful drink all around. This might be my new favorite large stout I've had to date. Mind blown. (1,156 characters)

4.89/5  rDev +12.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 5

Wow. This is delicious. I'm kinda blown away. Anywho, it pours motor oil black. Looks a lot like motor oil but with a tight dark brown cap. The aroma is huge with coffee and dark chocolate. Tons of it. There's some nice dark fruit in there as well. Lots of molasses and caramel. Massive flavor. Sweet with all sorts of chocolate. It's like drinking a very fancy wonderful brownie. I can't believe there isn't more booze to the beer. Feel is thick. Very thick. This is one of the best stouts I've ever had. Delicious. (516 characters)

4.88/5  rDev +12.2%

Start off with a huge thanks to Erik for this monstrosity, and then a giant thanks to De Struise for the perfect beer in my humble opinion. Split three ways, a little double black on black friday.

A- pours deceivingly like a normal fairly thick RIS, thin coffee colored head that fades after a few minutes

S- Smell is not as powerful as I suspected it would be, very roasty and some barrel followed by some molasses.

T- Phenomenal, this is the beer of my dreams. I get molasses and licorice with prunes, no alcohol to speak of just warmness down the throat. Very roasty and chocolatey...amazing

M- This is the thickest beer i have encountered, its like carbonated 90w gear oil.

O- F' ing A! this beer is the standard all others should be judged on. De Struise once again I tip my hat to you. Crazy beer I am very lucky to have tried this monster (853 characters)

4.88/5  rDev +12.2%

Shared with some friends for International Stout Day.

This is one of the RARE treats that we occasionally get to sample. I was lucky to be able to get in on this purchase with a friend.

Pop the cork and watch out! Pour is like 10W-40, thick and BLACK. Minimal head and lacing.. Not as much alochol on the nose as expected, coffee, toffee caramel and roasted malts come out in droves. Swill and examine...boy this is one black beautiful brew. At first taste is sweet and sticky, how did they manage to hide this HUGE 26% Monster so well? Mouthfeel is thick and balanced. Not over the top, but balanced, slightly sweet with a nice dry finish. Leaves your lips covered in stickiness like caramel candy. Goes down smooth Slight booziness lingers, but that is to be expected from a beer this BIG. All in all I couldn't believe that this beer was as good as it is. Just such balance of the extremes. It amazes me how awesome this beer is. If you get a chance, please do yourself a favor and try this bad boy! Cheers! (1,013 characters)

4.88/5  rDev +12.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

A : Poured jet black with big viscosity leaving a nice big brown cap with a few curtains of lacing. This literally looked like burnt Quaker State! Amazing.

S: Sharp, pungent booze sting, lots of chocolate, tobacco, burnt barley, loads of black strap molasses, caramelized sugars and on and on...very nice

T: A nice big tobacco meets black, burnt barely providing a nice char. A good amount of bourbon and booze is noticed but not 26% worth, it feels less boozey than Black Tuesday. Barrel provides a nice vanilla, wood taste. Molasses and caramelized sugar really help finish this off as does the heat. Heavy, sticky and awesome finish

M: Full bodied, well carbonated, hearty with a nice sweet feel and lush texture

O: A deceptively easy drinking beer! Beware but I loved every single sip of this beer. ISO! (811 characters)

4.83/5  rDev +11%

100th Review
Bottle to snifter/Westvletren 12 (small) chalice

Big beer for a milestone review!

From notes - I've enjoyed this twice now and combined my notes from each occasion. I first enjoyed this as part of a Black Damnation horizontal tasting (15 September 2011) that showcased the base beers + all the variants thru that date. Thank you RuckusDu for sharing this beauty...I will return the favor when the time is right! My second experience with it was as part of the Utrecht tasting (11 December 2011) as a result of Jeffo and doopiedoopiedoo's generosity. Thanks guys...can't wait to return the favor!

A: Opaque black. Viscosity of oil. Single (mocha) fingernail head on gentle pour. Looks like a proper - and perfect - American Double Imperial Stout.

S: WOW! Very complex...roasted malt, dark chocolate, fig, vanilla, and molasses. Slight hint of coffee, but that is very subtle. The booze is noticeable, but not as over-powering as I had anticipated.

T: This one warms the soul for sure! Like the smell, very complex and deep. Booze straight away followed by dark chocolate and raisins up-front. Quick burst of vanilla, molasses, and oak towards the middle and finished with a well-rounded, robust, and thoroughly enjoyed espresso/bitter finish. The alcohol is definitely present all throughout, but I would never suspect it to be so high.

M: Full bodied with medium carbonation. Dangerously drinkable and extremely thick.

O: This stuff is amazing! A beer well worth the "price of admission" in my opinion and it should be shared with a large group of folks. So complex, so smooth, and just so perfectly executed. The richness and distinct balance of this beer amazes me and I am very blessed to have enjoyed it on two different occasions. I think it will age beautifully and look forward to opening my bottle at some point in the next 5-10 years. Standing ovation to De Struise for this beautiful beer! (1,919 characters)

4.82/5  rDev +10.8%

Struise Black Damnation V Double Black
Bought at the Struise store in Brugge, Belgium on 12-28-2011

Appearance: very dark brown, no bubbles in syrup-like lacing, and a small dark head.

Smell: roasted chocolate, malty cocoa, and faint hops.

Taste: roasted malty rich dark chocolate, vanilla, and faint sweet hops.

Mouthfeel: thick, slightly heavy, yet very smooth.

Overall:
This is fantastic. It has wonderful flavor and the alcohol is unnoticeable. It is a must try for stout fans. 26% ABV is no joke. (510 characters)

4.8/5  rDev +10.3%

Fuck Yeah! Finally got to try this thing. Ever since I saw the label, I was obsessed with it, even had some weird dream about it...

Anyway, my boss (thanks Simon!) procured 2 bottles of this a while back and we agreed that we would open the first once we found out about my visa...well, it was denied. So, it was a consolation "prize" and the next bottle will be when it get's approved (fingers crossed).

Pours and by pour, I mean it slowly seeps out of the bottle resulting in a dark as night black with a solid 3 finger auburn head; glorious!

The nose; wow. Just an overload of chocolate, mollassess, vanilla, woodiness, coffee!
Taste; just as complex as the nose but all melded together into some sort of divine desert with the mouthfeel of motor oil.
Overall; was thrilled to share the bottle with the closest of friends and we all got a nice pour (most all of us wanting more). Can't wait to get that visa approval so we can drink the second bottle ;-)

I hope that for every Imperial Stout lover's sake (because this trumps any American Brewed Impy Stout) that at some point, De Sturise decides to make more of this and make it a bit more available! (1,158 characters)

4.76/5  rDev +9.4%

Mmmm....the idea of non-infected Delphine condensed into 26% was too tempting. 75cl bottle, poured into a Founders snifter.

A - Pours very thick and black. 1/2" head forms and then slowly turns into lacing that coats most of the surface. Reforms at every sift. This beer STICKS to the glass. Just a perfect looking RIS.

A - Licorice, booze, dark malts and dark fruits, possibly raisin. Slight sweetness, but certainly a decent amount of booze.

T - Dark malts, dark fruits, slight roast, cocoa, mild oak on the finish and some toffee. Toffee mixed with dryness on the finish, as well as a little bit of burn on the throat at first. Nice smooth transition between flavors, which don't become truly complex until the back 1/2. Great flavor, but the fact that it covers the ABV% so well puts it over the top.

M - Thick, creamy, silky and intense. This is perfect. This is absolutely what I imagine the mouthfeel of the perfect RIS to embody. The drinkability is too good for something this strong.

O - This beer is almost perfect. The nose brings it down a little bit, but the rest is everything that an RIS should be. RIS shouldn't be medium bodied, medium flavored beers. They should be thick, they should be intense, and they should make motor oil jealous. This does just that. However, I can't say for sure that this is 26%, as I followed in Shogo's footsteps and I feel remarkably unscathed at the moment. Regardless, this is phenomenal. (1,444 characters)

4.76/5  rDev +9.4%

Served at the De Struise table at the 2010 BOREFTS Beer Festival at De Molen in Bodegraven. Poured so generously by David working the taps.

Four oz taster. Listed at 26.8%

APPEARANCE: Pours a larger, super thick looking, tan head with great retention. Head slowly fades and leaves lots of clingy lacing down the sides of the glass. Pitch black body with zero carbonation evident. Head eventually fades to a thin swirling wisp and a ring. Only a ring remains but leaves a few dots of lacing down the glass. Doesn't get any more impressive than this at 26%. Looks menacing.

SMELL: Tough to pick up anything while so cold, but once it warmed up closer to room temperature, the aromas came to life. Lots of roasted malts, with strong aromas of baker's chocolate and some espresso notes. Bolder imperial stout aromas, with heavier emphasis on the roasted and charred malts.

TASTE: Like Cuvee Delphine on steroids. Lots of roasted and charred malts, dark baker's chocolate and espresso flavors, with hints of bourbon as well. Some faint vanilla notes and wood from the barrels. A big, bold, lingering roasted and barrel influenced aftertaste includes a touch of bitterness and spicy yeast notes. Amazingly enough, there's not a touch of that 26% to be found. Really wonderful stuff.

PALATE: Full body and very thick and luscious on the palate. Medium carbonation and extremely smooth. No alcohol noticeable on the swallow, and finishes slightly dry. Way smoother than I had expected.

OVERALL: This was the hit of the evening for me; the only beer I went back to for a second pour. I'd been anxiously awaiting this one for quite some time, and it didn't disappoint. The Double Black reminded me of what I loved so much about that first batch of Cuvee Delphine many moons ago, but then amped up to the tenth degree. A big, bold, bruiser of an imperial stout, with a look and feel that makes you forget that it's ¼ alcohol. Hopefully our beer paths will cross again sometime. Thanks to the guys at De Struise for brewing such a gem and brining it to the festival, and thanks to Dave for the expert pours. (2,107 characters)

4.76/5  rDev +9.4%

750ml into Victory Winking Lizard pint glass. 2011 vintage.

A- Black sizzurp and a slowly building head that grows to a grand magnitude. 4-fingers. 26% and 4-finger head? Laces the glass like molasses or chocolate syrup. Great pour.

S- Strong chocolate, dark fruit, and lots (LOTS) of alcohol. To be expected, it's prob. the beer's only flaw.

T- Like a chocolate milkshake with bourbon. Big ashy bitterness, strong coffee and chocolate. Lots of charred oak. Bourbon heat has been concentrated, this stuff is hot on the tongue. Intense heat.

M- Thick, but carbonated. Flavors (and heat) linger... Mouth-coating and very lethargic. This is like eating a booze-filled chocolate. So decadent and rich. It's intense- and I can see how it could be off-putting to some... but this beer is right in my wheelhouse.

O- Struise, <3 <3 <3 Please make more <3 <3 <3

I loved Cuvee Delphine (4.75) and this is everything I love under a magnifying glass. Simply a beautiful beer.

I drank this entire 750ml... and I'll do it again. Wow, good stuff. (1,059 characters)

4.75/5  rDev +9.2%

Thanks Mark!

Pours a very creamy pitch black with a huge dark chocolate milk colored super frothy head that just plain refuses to recede. Boozy smells dominate along with chocolate, coffee and burnt dark malts add to a great nose. First sip is very creamy with the burnt dark malts taking charge follow by a huge coffee finish and supported by bourbon. Surprisingly the heat is rather calm considering the enormous ABV. The chocolate is a tad chalky and this maybe the beer’s only minor fault. The heavy lacing clings to the side of the glass like velcro. Mouthfeel on this one just plain rocks. What an amazing beer! (620 characters)

4.75/5  rDev +9.2%

750 bomber shared by Bryan at his Black Damnation party tonight. One word - Wow. Or maybe two - Nice Beer. Pours a crazy, tar black thickness into my snifter. Translucent rainbows of sheen float around the top of the body like a BP oil spill. Nose is all coffee and cocoa - and with 26% ABV, loads of alcohol to boot. To quote my friend Logan - this is the bomb. Taste is complex and decadent.... thick and rich like hershey’s syrup with sweet chocolate, vanilla bean and italian cream-sprinkled espresso all rolled into one. Slick and sweet finish. Offers up a nice buzz. Fantastic stuff.. (592 characters)

4.7/5  rDev +8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

1269th Review on BA
Bottle to CCB Snifter
750ML Cap/Corked

Thanks to JazzPatel for bringing this one.

Shared with Jazzpatel, GuruDel & MrHirschybar

App- Good lord thats black. I told Ehammond1 it looks like Black Tuesday was blended with Abyss. Its a black abyss and its FN dark man. A nice one finger dark brown head formed and fell quickly with some good cling.

Smell- It still has a bit of heat to it and I can appreciate the cut of this beers jib. A lot of things going on. A bit of licorice, a bit of booze, a bit of candy, with roasted grain notes.

Taste- So...Yeah. This happened. LARGE as SHIT beer. I joked with Shogo about his boot and this beer. NO F N way. Simply an amazingly smooth large ABV stout. The beer is very delicious as well. Huge creamy notes with some licorice and malty layers. Bakers chocolate and some char fill the profile.

Mouth- Full bodied and yet still creamy, Low carbonation and yet still bubbly. A very creamy beer with great depth of flavor with residual candy licorice and some anise.

Drink- Damn this was good. I dont think I was expecting it to be so good. Creamy, layered, tempered. (1,130 characters)

4.68/5  rDev +7.6%

I got this beer with thanks to the Brabander. Thanks again man for getting this massive one for me. Last friday I had a good opportunity with my wife, my friend Ed and his wife Astrid to open one bottle.

A - A pitch black beer with a brown head. You can just see that this is a heavy beer! - This is motor oil!

S - What a wonderful smell of chocolate, cherries and spices such as cinnamon and cardamom and don't forget the booze.

T - Wow! A powerful sweet taste of chocolate and booze with hints of dark fruit, herbs / spices (like in a gingerbread kind of way)

M - A low carbonation that fits perfectly with a sipper beer like this. Sticky in the mouth, such as syrup, and spicy due to the herbs. This is excellent beer syrup!!!

O - A great beer, nice spiciness and sticky. Worth buying but far too expensive compared to the experience. We all loved it though!

I had another opportunity to taste this beer again on the 11th of December 2011 at a perfect beer tasting at Erik's place. With thanks to Jeff too. I am altering my review after this session; appearance, mouth feel and overall should be a half point more than before. (1,136 characters)

4.68/5  rDev +7.6%

Bottle shared with friends (tasting notes from memory, don't usually do this but it's fairly seared in there).

A - saying this is the most viscous and sticky pour you can imagine wouldn't do this justice. It pours like engine oil. Jet black with a slowly rising tan head. Gorgeous.

Aroma - sticky dates and raisins, dark chocolate, a stemmy woodiness from the bourbon, and a hint of ashy tar to balance out the sweetness.

T - shows amazing finesse for such a huge beer, big sweet dark fruit and chocolate character dominates upfront, the barrel aging shows with more sugary sweetness. There's also a subtle spice, soft alcohol warmth and gentle tar roast in there which stops it getting too sickly sweet. Fantastic extrapolation/amplification of Black Albert.

M - the fact that it literally dried like sugar syrup on the outside of the bottle gives some indication of how thick and sticky it is. Super decadent, very similar mouthfeel to PX sherry.

O - memorable and extremely well executed. Intensity and sweetness make it definitely best enjoyed with friends. (1,069 characters)

first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50 | 51-75  | next › last