Black Damnation V - Double Black - De Struise Brouwers

Black Damnation V - Double BlackBlack Damnation V - Double Black

De Struise Brouwers visit their website

American Double / Imperial Stout |  26.00% ABV

100% of Cuvée Delphine was used that was ice distilled to 26% of alcohol volume.

(Beer added by: alcstradamus on 03-14-2010)
1.75/5  rDev -60.3%

seeswo, Jul 05, 2013
2.75/5  rDev -37.6%

Reagan1984, Aug 11, 2013
2.8/5  rDev -36.5%

A huge thanks to Mikey711 (Mikey) for this one. 2oz. pour from a capped and foiled 750ml bottle into a stemless wine glass. Had at a tasting on 6/4/11. Reviewed from notes.

A: Standard pour yields a .25 dark mocha head with great retention. Beer is a dark, opaque, motor oil black. Lacing is spotty and stringy with decent cling and thick, oily legs. A masterpiece considering how heavy it looks.

S: Nose is straight booze that covers almost everything else. Some chocolate and molasses make its way out little by little but the alcohol covers everything else. Not a fan.

T: Opens sweet soy sauce, chocolate, raisins, booze, mocha and molasses throughout. Sharp booze lingers in the background. Chocolate and molasses in the finish with an added touch of cocoa in the aftertaste. Nice but not much above average.

M: Full to super-full bodied. Sludgy and thick in the mouth almost like a protein shake. No carbonation. Oily and filmy going down. Messy finish with a lingering aftertaste. Way over the top here. Too much body.

O: This is a meal in a glass. Again, I'm not sure I'm drinking the same beer as those that say this beer hides its abv well.I could barely choke down 2oz. of this monster. In a world of over-the-top beer, this one is king. It's not for me though.

SpeedwayJim, Jun 05, 2011

Sarlacc83, Nov 14, 2011
3.25/5  rDev -26.3%

sweemzander, Apr 28, 2013
3.25/5  rDev -26.3%

jrallen34, Feb 23, 2013
3.28/5  rDev -25.6%

Pours like 15-year-old used motor oil! Black! Little head once poured in the glass, which is dark brown in itself. Whoa was it thick! My tastemates all said it looked mean! (Ended up tasting mean, too!)

It burned on the lips, and kicked my ass! Do I shoot it or sip it??? The tastes are there...chocolate, caramel, coffee, even notes of cinnamon. The history is quite clear...the barrels keep the taste very potent but not overbearing. The first beer to warm my chest like my whiskey, it was awesome going down! An outstanding beer, I was extremely excited to be able to say I've tasted it. As it warms in the glass, the bite grows stronger.

Maybe this brew would be better appreciated by some experienced brewmasters, I thought it was a good beer but I can't justify rating it an A+ or 5, because I wouldn't buy a bottle again. Good, heavy content. Like my trip to the Grand Canyon, it's cool at first, but in the end, it's just another attraction based on hype that I don't fully understand. I rate my beer based on whether or not I'd drink or buy again, and I simply wouldn't do neither on this one. The two beers that ultimately create this beast are exquisite, but this monster wasn't for me.

6string, Dec 23, 2011
3.33/5  rDev -24.5%

Thanks to bluebetty for this one

A-- Poured soy sauce black. No light, no visible carbonation, not much really. Did get a very short lived dark chocolate head that went away quite quickly. Massive dark chocolate oily residue left in the glass afterwards. Took two washes to get it all out.

S-- Soy Sauce, chocolate syrup, molasses, and dark fruits. Nose is quite light for the size of the beer and the ABV level. Very little alcohol smell.

T-- Soy sauce, burnt rubber, ash, char, molasses, honey, tobacco, chocolate, roasted malts. I could go on with the taste as there were a lot of flavors with this. What i liked was that the char, ash, and burnt rubber were subdued. A drinkable Mikkeller black I thought.

M-- Big, evil, mean, slick , syrupy, oily, and peaty. Really came across as a massive scotch to me. As soon as it warmed up some the ABV was in full force. Made it hard to drink for me. Zero carbonation.

O-- Could not drink more than a few ounces. Some points it was brilliant, other times not. I was at a massive disadvantage as that I was driving and could not do more than a few ounces. Either way it was difficult for me to drink and just gave up. Base beer is far better than anything Mikkeller or De Molen has done but I would not buy or really want again.

mulder1010, Oct 16, 2011
3.36/5  rDev -23.8%

Draft at Monk's Cafe in Philadelphia, PA.

Pitch black and opaque with a half finger mocha head that quickly settles into thin, lasting ring.  Spotty lace left behind.

Smells like a boozy artisan chocolate bar.  Strong ethanol with chocolate malt, subtle roasted coffee and oatmeal.  Alcohol overpowers everything until it warms up considerably.

Viscous medium body with a blast of intense spicy bourbon heat.  Huge alcohol presence although there is a decent barrel character.  Dry oak, vanilla and tons of bourbon.  It's just insanely hot and rough to drink.  5oz is almost too much.  As it warms, the malt character starts to show with a nice balance of sweetness and roast.  Sweet vinous fruit, burnt coffee, ash, charcoal, dark chocolate and toffee but the bourbon and booze are really intense.  Lots of heat and warmth in the chest.

corby112, Sep 11, 2013
3.4/5  rDev -22.9%

Thanks for sharing this, Bobby!

A: The beer pours black, viscous, and surprisingly carbonated with a tan head.

S: The aroma is intense to say the least. Tons of roasted malt, dark chocolate, and booze. A decent amount of molasses and brown sugar with hints of licorice and dark fruit. There's a bit of vanilla as well.

T: Overly sweet. Tons of brown sugar, burnt sugar, molasses, and licorice. A little too much booze presence for my liking. Roasted malt and char, as expected, with some oak and more booze.

M: Thick and full on the tongue with a low but sufficient carbonation.

O: This was a very cool idea and I really wanted to try it. But, it was just too much. My couple ounces were more than enough.

womencantsail, Sep 01, 2011
3.43/5  rDev -22.2%

Pours oily black with virtually no head. Reddish brown highlights in the colour as we sip it.A Bitterness that gets worse not better as you drink it. It becomes altogether not such a great bitterness and that limits the drinkability as does the extremely high abv. An OK smell. In a word,Unbalanced. Liam's bomber straight from the brewery this year.

Sammy, Nov 21, 2011
3.5/5  rDev -20.6%

mmurphy525, Apr 08, 2012
3.5/5  rDev -20.6%

IrishColonial, May 05, 2014
3.58/5  rDev -18.8%

Urbain shared BD 5, 6, 9, 10 next to each other. Shit man! Black, rich creamy dark tan head with amazing retention. Nose is huge, dry earthy notes, peaty, faint cardboard, fair bit of roasted malt and light chocolate. Taste is obviously enormous, peaty and earthy with light cardboard and some dark fruits. Bitter chocolate with rich roasted malt in back. Heat there but pretty well hdden for the abv. Body is extremely thick and viscous with strong carbonation and dry finish. Tons of flavor with some minor issues and average integration.

cpetrone84, Jul 20, 2012
3.7/5  rDev -16.1%

I've had this from the bottle @ DLD (thank to Eric aka Turd) and on-tap last night at the West Lakeview Liquors Meet & Greet Event w/ Urbain. Obviously, Urbain brought the keg...

A - Pours black, slight tan-colored head, some bubbles here and there. There's a huge motor oil quality to this beer, as it leaves a brownish/gold hue that coats the entire glass. Sticky, viscous, black...damn(ation)!

S - Smells like booze, lots of char, roast, some chocolate. There's not much sweetness (some chocolate, some dark fruits), as it's covered up by the huge booze and char. It smells like what it is, a huge monster of a beer.

T - Slight dark chocolate, dark fruits, lots of char, lots of booze. There's a harsh/char hot boozy note on the finish that makes me grab my water after every sip. A little off-putting, but I contribute this to the huge amount of alcohol in this beer.

M - Full, rich and viscous, light carbonation, creamy finish.

O - I enjoyed sipping on this one on two occasions, but one or two 4oz pours is just enough for me. I'm not dying to try this again in the near future, but would love to see how this ages down the line. I'm sure the booze will smooth out and make it more enjoyable. It's good but a little too much for me at the moment.

Sean9689, May 03, 2011
3.74/5  rDev -15.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Mid. 2012 Rating. 75 cl. serious looking bottle served room temperature into Struise glasses and split by 4. The “wax” is murder getting of with a knife, it more melted plastic than wax – frankly I do not think that it is possible that this is actually wax – it is pure overkill much like the beer itself. If you keep hitting against the way, it will fracture which appears to work much, much better. On top of the plastic it has a synthetic cork as well – is this intended to withstand the apocalypse or what? The beer itself produces surprisingly enough some brief very dark mocha if you pour it vigorously enough. The head is very short lived, remains only around the side, swirling results in crazy big legs, yes this is indeed quite boozy. It is pitch, pitch black, even held up to the light, no light penetrates it and it remains black as the darkest night. This is highly Impressive as far the pure opaqueness of the blackness goes but an imperial stout without a head is still not particularly appealing to the eyes, especially with some remnants of the head remaining stuck to the side. The smell is pure booze, maybe the coldness could have eased it a bit if we had fridged it but as it stands now this smells like vodka, pure alcohol vapours dominate everything, it is frankly not enjoyable. Beer should never smell like vodka as far as I am concerned but that might be just me, it is hard to get passed the alcohol, I am not picking up much else here but there is also some raw espresso and burned coffee grounds to be found here. Above all this smells like vodka. The beer itself is in some ways more about structure than about flavour – this reminds me how DB XI was back when it was first released – the body on this is thick. Pancake syrup, engine oil, thick viscous, it coats the whole mouth, flows viscous, coat the inside of the glass, seriously crazy viscous for any beer. Flavour starts out with lightly vinous coffee, lots of burned coffee and espresso, thick coffee, syrup goo, there is a touch of alcohol but the thickness appears to be hiding it, it is surprisingly light, unlike the smell, black liquorice, molasses, black 95 % chocolate, thick dark sugar, getting into a huge burned and roasted finish, this is the beer that should be called ruination, we did a small vodka tasting before this one and this one obliterated even the feeling of vodka in your mount instantly, kills any other flavours, more interesting than per se good. It is a bit of a paradoxical beer because the booze is not very noticeable, the alcohol doesn’t take full hold of you, it is objectionably not that hard to drink but this is really hard to drink maybe the taste is too much or it’s the body but you almost have to force yourself to drink and my glass didn’t come easily to me – it is very hard to imagine drinking a full bottle of this & that was the general opinion as well. This is not a real a beer anymore for me in that respect – it is hard to drink even in tiny quantities. It is not like this a scotch that I can open this and drink it over a prolonged period – I have to drink at once in one sitting. It is a modern day tickers beer – great in small portions amongst many other beer but sitting down like this and drinking a glass of this like we did more or less… I would have probably been more exited if it was my first time trying something like this. It was more of an experience than a beer and as an experience I would rate it much higher than the beer. I am glad to have tried it – wouldn’t pay the money that people are asking for this one.

77black_ships, Oct 23, 2013
3.74/5  rDev -15.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

First had: on tap at Farmers Cabinet, Philly, PA

Dark black hole color, topped--surprisingly--with a small, sturdy cap of tan head. Aroma of dark malts, roasty, pretty heavy with booze, dark sugars, a hint of anise. Definitely hot on the palate, but that's to be expected with the reported ABV. There was an almost bourbon-barrel-ish flavor profile here, roasty dark malts, dark chocolate, burnt molasses, anise, coffee. Chewy mouthfeel, pretty intense, body on the heavier side of medium, though the boozy kick seemed to thin it out a bit in the finish. Nice overall; not exactly an easy drinker, but delivers what is promised.

Rifugium, Mar 12, 2013

pperez38, Aug 17, 2012

cfrances33, Feb 24, 2014

HopsMatt, Jun 25, 2013
3.75/5  rDev -15%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

A: Black pour with a minimal amount of brown head. It's the darkest of the three and coats the side of the glass very well. 4.5

S: It smells like straight alcohol. Basically a combination of vanilla and rum. All of the aromas from Black Albert and Cuvee Delphine are completely gone. 3.5

T: The flavor cuts off at the end, which I've experienced with eisbocks in the past. There is a slight chocolate base there and it actually isn't the booziest beer I've come across, despite the crazy high ABV. There is a slight amount of vanilla, but it's really all about the rum. The flavors attack the palate...and then disappear. 3.5

MF: The beer is deceptively drinkable, but very thin. The booziness does not accurately represent the ABV. 4.5

O: It's amazing that its this good after all this beer has gone through. I felt the after-effects of this beer once I stood up. I am impressed, but still believe Black Albert is the best in this series. 4

russwbeck, Apr 15, 2013