Black Damnation V - Double Black - De Struise Brouwers

Black Damnation V - Double BlackBlack Damnation V - Double Black

De Struise Brouwers visit their website

American Double / Imperial Stout |  26.00% ABV

Beer added by: alcstradamus on 03-14-2010

100% of Cuvée Delphine was used that was ice distilled to 26% of alcohol volume.
Ratings: 301 | Reviews: 110
1.75/5  rDev -60.4%

Too much is too much:(

2.75/5  rDev -37.8%

A huge thanks to Mikey711 (Mikey) for this one. 2oz. pour from a capped and foiled 750ml bottle into a stemless wine glass. Had at a tasting on 6/4/11. Reviewed from notes.

A: Standard pour yields a .25 dark mocha head with great retention. Beer is a dark, opaque, motor oil black. Lacing is spotty and stringy with decent cling and thick, oily legs. A masterpiece considering how heavy it looks.

S: Nose is straight booze that covers almost everything else. Some chocolate and molasses make its way out little by little but the alcohol covers everything else. Not a fan.

T: Opens sweet soy sauce, chocolate, raisins, booze, mocha and molasses throughout. Sharp booze lingers in the background. Chocolate and molasses in the finish with an added touch of cocoa in the aftertaste. Nice but not much above average.

M: Full to super-full bodied. Sludgy and thick in the mouth almost like a protein shake. No carbonation. Oily and filmy going down. Messy finish with a lingering aftertaste. Way over the top here. Too much body.

O: This is a meal in a glass. Again, I'm not sure I'm drinking the same beer as those that say this beer hides its abv well.I could barely choke down 2oz. of this monster. In a world of over-the-top beer, this one is king. It's not for me though.

3.31/5  rDev -25.1%

Pours like 15-year-old used motor oil! Black! Little head once poured in the glass, which is dark brown in itself. Whoa was it thick! My tastemates all said it looked mean! (Ended up tasting mean, too!)

It burned on the lips, and kicked my ass! Do I shoot it or sip it??? The tastes are there...chocolate, caramel, coffee, even notes of cinnamon. The history is quite clear...the barrels keep the taste very potent but not overbearing. The first beer to warm my chest like my whiskey, it was awesome going down! An outstanding beer, I was extremely excited to be able to say I've tasted it. As it warms in the glass, the bite grows stronger.

Maybe this brew would be better appreciated by some experienced brewmasters, I thought it was a good beer but I can't justify rating it an A+ or 5, because I wouldn't buy a bottle again. Good, heavy content. Like my trip to the Grand Canyon, it's cool at first, but in the end, it's just another attraction based on hype that I don't fully understand. I rate my beer based on whether or not I'd drink or buy again, and I simply wouldn't do neither on this one. The two beers that ultimately create this beast are exquisite, but this monster wasn't for me.

3.32/5  rDev -24.9%

Thanks to bluebetty for this one

A-- Poured soy sauce black. No light, no visible carbonation, not much really. Did get a very short lived dark chocolate head that went away quite quickly. Massive dark chocolate oily residue left in the glass afterwards. Took two washes to get it all out.

S-- Soy Sauce, chocolate syrup, molasses, and dark fruits. Nose is quite light for the size of the beer and the ABV level. Very little alcohol smell.

T-- Soy sauce, burnt rubber, ash, char, molasses, honey, tobacco, chocolate, roasted malts. I could go on with the taste as there were a lot of flavors with this. What i liked was that the char, ash, and burnt rubber were subdued. A drinkable Mikkeller black I thought.

M-- Big, evil, mean, slick , syrupy, oily, and peaty. Really came across as a massive scotch to me. As soon as it warmed up some the ABV was in full force. Made it hard to drink for me. Zero carbonation.

O-- Could not drink more than a few ounces. Some points it was brilliant, other times not. I was at a massive disadvantage as that I was driving and could not do more than a few ounces. Either way it was difficult for me to drink and just gave up. Base beer is far better than anything Mikkeller or De Molen has done but I would not buy or really want again.

3.36/5  rDev -24%

Draft at Monk's Cafe in Philadelphia, PA.

Pitch black and opaque with a half finger mocha head that quickly settles into thin, lasting ring.  Spotty lace left behind.

Smells like a boozy artisan chocolate bar.  Strong ethanol with chocolate malt, subtle roasted coffee and oatmeal.  Alcohol overpowers everything until it warms up considerably.

Viscous medium body with a blast of intense spicy bourbon heat.  Huge alcohol presence although there is a decent barrel character.  Dry oak, vanilla and tons of bourbon.  It's just insanely hot and rough to drink.  5oz is almost too much.  As it warms, the malt character starts to show with a nice balance of sweetness and roast.  Sweet vinous fruit, burnt coffee, ash, charcoal, dark chocolate and toffee but the bourbon and booze are really intense.  Lots of heat and warmth in the chest.

3.43/5  rDev -22.4%

Pours oily black with virtually no head. Reddish brown highlights in the colour as we sip it.A Bitterness that gets worse not better as you drink it. It becomes altogether not such a great bitterness and that limits the drinkability as does the extremely high abv. An OK smell. In a word,Unbalanced. Liam's bomber straight from the brewery this year.

3.45/5  rDev -21.9%

Thanks for sharing this, Bobby!

A: The beer pours black, viscous, and surprisingly carbonated with a tan head.

S: The aroma is intense to say the least. Tons of roasted malt, dark chocolate, and booze. A decent amount of molasses and brown sugar with hints of licorice and dark fruit. There's a bit of vanilla as well.

T: Overly sweet. Tons of brown sugar, burnt sugar, molasses, and licorice. A little too much booze presence for my liking. Roasted malt and char, as expected, with some oak and more booze.

M: Thick and full on the tongue with a low but sufficient carbonation.

O: This was a very cool idea and I really wanted to try it. But, it was just too much. My couple ounces were more than enough.

3.58/5  rDev -19%

Urbain shared BD 5, 6, 9, 10 next to each other. Shit man! Black, rich creamy dark tan head with amazing retention. Nose is huge, dry earthy notes, peaty, faint cardboard, fair bit of roasted malt and light chocolate. Taste is obviously enormous, peaty and earthy with light cardboard and some dark fruits. Bitter chocolate with rich roasted malt in back. Heat there but pretty well hdden for the abv. Body is extremely thick and viscous with strong carbonation and dry finish. Tons of flavor with some minor issues and average integration.

3.73/5  rDev -15.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Mid. 2012 Rating. 75 cl. serious looking bottle served room temperature into Struise glasses and split by 4. The “wax” is murder getting of with a knife, it more melted plastic than wax – frankly I do not think that it is possible that this is actually wax – it is pure overkill much like the beer itself. If you keep hitting against the way, it will fracture which appears to work much, much better. On top of the plastic it has a synthetic cork as well – is this intended to withstand the apocalypse or what? The beer itself produces surprisingly enough some brief very dark mocha if you pour it vigorously enough. The head is very short lived, remains only around the side, swirling results in crazy big legs, yes this is indeed quite boozy. It is pitch, pitch black, even held up to the light, no light penetrates it and it remains black as the darkest night. This is highly Impressive as far the pure opaqueness of the blackness goes but an imperial stout without a head is still not particularly appealing to the eyes, especially with some remnants of the head remaining stuck to the side. The smell is pure booze, maybe the coldness could have eased it a bit if we had fridged it but as it stands now this smells like vodka, pure alcohol vapours dominate everything, it is frankly not enjoyable. Beer should never smell like vodka as far as I am concerned but that might be just me, it is hard to get passed the alcohol, I am not picking up much else here but there is also some raw espresso and burned coffee grounds to be found here. Above all this smells like vodka. The beer itself is in some ways more about structure than about flavour – this reminds me how DB XI was back when it was first released – the body on this is thick. Pancake syrup, engine oil, thick viscous, it coats the whole mouth, flows viscous, coat the inside of the glass, seriously crazy viscous for any beer. Flavour starts out with lightly vinous coffee, lots of burned coffee and espresso, thick coffee, syrup goo, there is a touch of alcohol but the thickness appears to be hiding it, it is surprisingly light, unlike the smell, black liquorice, molasses, black 95 % chocolate, thick dark sugar, getting into a huge burned and roasted finish, this is the beer that should be called ruination, we did a small vodka tasting before this one and this one obliterated even the feeling of vodka in your mount instantly, kills any other flavours, more interesting than per se good. It is a bit of a paradoxical beer because the booze is not very noticeable, the alcohol doesn’t take full hold of you, it is objectionably not that hard to drink but this is really hard to drink maybe the taste is too much or it’s the body but you almost have to force yourself to drink and my glass didn’t come easily to me – it is very hard to imagine drinking a full bottle of this & that was the general opinion as well. This is not a real a beer anymore for me in that respect – it is hard to drink even in tiny quantities. It is not like this a scotch that I can open this and drink it over a prolonged period – I have to drink at once in one sitting. It is a modern day tickers beer – great in small portions amongst many other beer but sitting down like this and drinking a glass of this like we did more or less… I would have probably been more exited if it was my first time trying something like this. It was more of an experience than a beer and as an experience I would rate it much higher than the beer. I am glad to have tried it – wouldn’t pay the money that people are asking for this one.

3.73/5  rDev -15.6%

I've had this from the bottle @ DLD (thank to Eric aka Turd) and on-tap last night at the West Lakeview Liquors Meet & Greet Event w/ Urbain. Obviously, Urbain brought the keg...

A - Pours black, slight tan-colored head, some bubbles here and there. There's a huge motor oil quality to this beer, as it leaves a brownish/gold hue that coats the entire glass. Sticky, viscous, black...damn(ation)!

S - Smells like booze, lots of char, roast, some chocolate. There's not much sweetness (some chocolate, some dark fruits), as it's covered up by the huge booze and char. It smells like what it is, a huge monster of a beer.

T - Slight dark chocolate, dark fruits, lots of char, lots of booze. There's a harsh/char hot boozy note on the finish that makes me grab my water after every sip. A little off-putting, but I contribute this to the huge amount of alcohol in this beer.

M - Full, rich and viscous, light carbonation, creamy finish.

O - I enjoyed sipping on this one on two occasions, but one or two 4oz pours is just enough for me. I'm not dying to try this again in the near future, but would love to see how this ages down the line. I'm sure the booze will smooth out and make it more enjoyable. It's good but a little too much for me at the moment.

3.74/5  rDev -15.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

First had: on tap at Farmers Cabinet, Philly, PA

Dark black hole color, topped--surprisingly--with a small, sturdy cap of tan head. Aroma of dark malts, roasty, pretty heavy with booze, dark sugars, a hint of anise. Definitely hot on the palate, but that's to be expected with the reported ABV. There was an almost bourbon-barrel-ish flavor profile here, roasty dark malts, dark chocolate, burnt molasses, anise, coffee. Chewy mouthfeel, pretty intense, body on the heavier side of medium, though the boozy kick seemed to thin it out a bit in the finish. Nice overall; not exactly an easy drinker, but delivers what is promised.

3.76/5  rDev -14.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Thanks to Maltzilla for sending this bottle my way.

A: Black, and thick, I mean really thick. I have never seen this thick a beer before. It left impressive lacing behind that was incredibly difficult to wash off of the glass.

S: Very chocolately with some hints of bourbon and vanilla. Lots of roasty notes with a little bit of dark fruit as well

T: Heavy chocolate and roast with dark fruit notes as well. Big toffee molasses and brown sugar flavor as well

M: it is literally a milk shake. Each sip felt thicker than the last. The alcohol was present but was hidden more by the fact this beer was so thick

D: What a monster of a beer. I took one sip and felt it go straight to my head. Be advised that this beer needs to be shared with probably ten people.

3.76/5  rDev -14.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

A: Black pour with a minimal amount of brown head. It's the darkest of the three and coats the side of the glass very well. 4.5

S: It smells like straight alcohol. Basically a combination of vanilla and rum. All of the aromas from Black Albert and Cuvee Delphine are completely gone. 3.5

T: The flavor cuts off at the end, which I've experienced with eisbocks in the past. There is a slight chocolate base there and it actually isn't the booziest beer I've come across, despite the crazy high ABV. There is a slight amount of vanilla, but it's really all about the rum. The flavors attack the palate...and then disappear. 3.5

MF: The beer is deceptively drinkable, but very thin. The booziness does not accurately represent the ABV. 4.5

O: It's amazing that its this good after all this beer has gone through. I felt the after-effects of this beer once I stood up. I am impressed, but still believe Black Albert is the best in this series. 4

3.77/5  rDev -14.7%

Appearance: Motor oil black with a mocha head. I got some of this on my hands while pouring and it is literally oily.

Aroma: Very strong double-strength coffee, very bitter, with lots of dark roasted malt, vanilla and tar. Boozy. Well integrated but too bitter.

Taste: Similar to the nose, although perhaps a bit more boozy. Lots of the 8-hour coffee, chocolate, vanilla, and roasted malt. Just too much booze, coffee and bitterness for me.

MOuthfeel: Thick and oily.

Overall: Interesting try, but not really drinkable. Just too much, a few ounces is plenty.

3.79/5  rDev -14.3%

Pours surprisingly with a head on top of an inky black body. Dark, sludgy legs cling to the side of the tulip with each sip.

Aroma is roasty, boozy, and bitter coffee. Emphasis on the booze. Stinging and harsh.

Flavor is less harsh. Big and sweet and boozy....flavor nuances are abundant. I could list them for the next 5 paragraphs. It is a bit messy, but not as harsh as I would expect for a 26% stout.

The mouthfeel is thick and creamy and perfect. One of the best mouthfeels I ever experienced.

Overall this beer is an interesting experiment. It is messy and hot and cloying, but those negatives don't stop me from reaching for the glass repeatedly for more.

3.87/5  rDev -12.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

5/8/2011

Big thanks to Alex (Masterski) for the growler. I'd been wanting to try this for a long time. Poured into a snifter.

A: Viscous and dark black with a frothy tan head. There's a reddish tinge near the edges when held to light. A swirl of the glass leave a thick booze coating on the sides.

S: The aroma shows big fudge and dark chocolate notes with accompanying brown sugar. Bourbon is light, and there's some oak. It's pretty damn mellow for a 26% ABV beer. I'm surprised. Alcohol is faint. Malt is heavily roasted and there's a little coffee in there, as well as some earth. Restrained smoke notes waft from the glass to coalesce with alcohol vapors.

T: Strong roasted malt profile, with light coffee notes, dark chocolate, and pronounced alcohol. A little prune and plum, but those notes are subjugated by the roast, dark chocolate, and alcohol. This is very powerful stuff. Light smoke notes with some charred oak and coffee. Alcohol is definitely noticeable, but it seems more like 16% than 26%. There's a good deal of chocolate brown sugar sweetness midpalate, but the beer is dry initially and in the finish.

M: Full in body, obviously, with moderate carbonation. The mouthfeel is silky, sticky, chewy, and dry, with substantial alcohol warming.

Overall: A real beast of a beer. High quality stuff, but 4-5 ounces was plenty for me.

3.9/5  rDev -11.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 3.75

Reviewing the infamous Black Damnation V (Double Black), an eised barrel aged Russian imperial stout from De Struise Brouwers our of Belgium. This beer is their Cuvee Delphine (bourbon barrel aged Black Albert), ice distilled to 26% ABV.

Score: 87

2010 vintage bottle, Lot B. "Best by" 2016. Served in a Black Damnation tulip taster and enjoyed on 07/12/14. Thank you Paul for sharing this one!

Appearance: Pours a viscous, motor oil color with no head. Minimal pop to the uncorking of the synthetic cork. Has a crazy browning effect from the swirl with chunky lacing and good legs. This brew looks imposing. 4.5/5

Smell: Roasted chocolate, tobacco, malt and black licorice. Bourbon, alcohol (though not nearly as much as you would expect from a 26% ABV monster), cherry, plum and caramelized sugars too. A touch of cardboard-like oxidation. Those nose is solid, with average integration, but it is nothing particularly amazing. The nose is big and bold and can be smelled a foot away from the glass. 3.75/5

Taste: Taste just like it smells with a strong fruity oxidation character to the finish. Caramelized sugars/brown sugar, barley malt, dark fruit chocolate and tobacco are the primary flavors through and in the linger. Less bourbon character in the taste than in the nose. This beer is surprisingly "smooth" for 26% ABV -- with three to four years of age on it, this beer lacks the "here I am, rock you like a hurricane" heat of higher (but relatively lower) ABV brews like World World Stout and Black Tuesday. Lots of lasting fruitiness/oxidation and tobacco/dark fruit flavor to the finish. 3.75/5

Mouthfeel: Full bodied, minimal carbonation. The mouthfeel is so viscous and chewy. Big, lasting flavors coat the palate. Has a flavor profile consisting of sweet components that does not come across as being "sweet" a la Double Barrel Hunahpu's. 4.75/5

Overall: A good/solid, but not great or "cannot miss stout" in my opinion. I have had better bottles of this, but never one I had a good pour of that was quality enough to justify the high retail price tag or secondary market trade value. The flavor profile here reminds me of Double Barrel Hunahpu's, minus the spices/peppers, with relatively poorer integration. Among the many hard-to-get, highly touted beers out there, this one is notably skippable; tickers and completionists be forewarned.

Cost: $50 for a 750 ml bottle.

3.93/5  rDev -11.1%

Had on tap at Zwanze Day Chicago. Served in a plastic cup. First beer of the day.

Appearance – Poured into my plastic cup with more than I was expecting/wanting knowing I had a full day of drinking amazing beer ahead of me. The viscosity on this beer is exactly how the name sounds. Held up to direct sunlight I was cast in a shadow. Slight carbonation has lingering bubbles up top hanging on to the sides of the cup.

Smell – Booze, heavy roasted malts, chocolate, dark fruits, and lots of molasses. This is going to be one sweet alcoholic beer.

Taste – Loads of chocolate and roast. The dark fruits (fig and plum) kept trying to fight their way to the front but the sweetness of molasses and brown sugar won out. Bourbon and vanilla round out the flavors.

Mouthfeel – I will say, this has to be one of the thickest beers I have experienced. To put it into perspective, I had to wash my cup out two times to get the remnants of this beer out. It just would not leave the sides of the cup. Lower carbonation but still decent enough for this high abv of a beer.

Overall – This is a beer I am glad I was able to try and not have to purchase on my own. To be blunt, I was not overly impressed by it. That said, I had to keep reminding myself of the alcohol content and how it really did not taste like I was drinking a 26% stout. I understand the pushing of boundaries and new limits, however, this beer is more of a novelty for me. I really did not enjoy it and I have no inclination to seek it out in the future. A monster of a beer.

Bottle shared by bsuedekum...Iced Stout, let's do this...

A - Pours black with a small head on it.

S -The nose erupts with dark fruits (plums and raisins), dark chocolates, and a little bourbon.

T - opens up amazingly sweet. Uber chocolaty malts move on to extremely bitter dark chocolates. Vanilla bourbon flavors move in next to help tame the chocolates. Some spiciness from the bourbon comes in next but is overtaken by piney hops. Whoa.

M - thin body and TONS of booze

D - Wow...bold, full of flavor and really complex. I had a small pour of this and don't know if I could do more than 1/4 of a bomber in a sitting. This is packed of flavor and will smack you in the face if you're not looking. Definitely worth a shot, but not for the faint of heart.

From 04/30/11 notes. Bottlle shared at Dark Lord Day thanks to TurdFurgison; thanks Eric, really wanted to try this one.

a - Pours a very dark brown, almost black color, with an inch of tan ehad and moderate carbonation evident.

s - Smells very strong, smells of roasted malts, coffee, alcohol, dark chocolate, and dark fruits. A little bit better than the taste, and quite strong.

t - Tastes of of coffee, roasted malts, dark chocolate, and alcohol. Again, very strong, but good.

m - Medium to full body and moderate carbonation.

o - Overall a very nice stout. It is certainly a strong stout, but it doesn't taste like 26% ABV. Not my favorite Black Damnation beer, but good and I was very glad to try it.

4.06/5  rDev -8.1%

(sampled at Dak’s Memorial Day tasting). Pours thick and black with a tan head. This just coats the glass. Aroma has alcohol and plenty of chocolate and bourbon. Taste is sweet with some roasty bitterness. Full bodied with a sticky texture. This is a really nice beer with a nice mix of sweetness, roasty bitterness and alcohol.

4.07/5  rDev -7.9%

Bottle shared with Chris, Michael and Ben. OMG!!!

Inky black with a creamy tan head. Some lacing.

Sweet with some roast. Plenty of oak and alcohol. Surprisingly fruity. An interesting smokiness.

Intense is the right word. There is an interesting fruitiness and peat character. Some oak. Lots of malt and quite bitter. This is a big beer.

Full body with moderate carbonation. Sweet and sticky. This is big.

A really solid beer. Sure, not everyone will get this but the flavours stand up for themselves. Epic.

4.1/5  rDev -7.2%

First off, I'd like to propose that Struise re-name this brew after its most ardent consumer, Alex. Anyone that witnessed him downing a pint of this stuff should know why.

On-tap at WLV tasting event

A - It pours a brown-black, with some wispy bubbles, and really looks like a fairly normal RIS, which it isn't.

S - The nose is quite a bit like regular Double Stout; it offers toffee, plenty of roast, sweet oat notes, anise, and cocoa; surprisingly, shockingly even, the alcohol is hard to discern.

T - The taste is right in line with the nose, although the sweetness is much more apparent that it was in the aroma. Booze is still masterfully hidden. There are notes of cocoa, and roast grain that dominate the flavor, with slight herbal,earthy and fruity undertones accompanying. Really amazing taste given the 26% ABV, and good taste regardless of ABV considerations.

M - The feel is viscous and softly carbonated; better than I expected.

O - Top 5 26% Stouts, no doubt.

4.11/5  rDev -7%

Appearance: Pours out absolutely pitch black, and has the consistency of oil. Very viscous. Probably the best combination of color and viscosity that I have seen in a stout. A dark khaki head slowly forms via tiny bubbles of carbonation, and that head has surprisingly good retention and lacing. Overall a fantastic looking stout.

Smell: A deep roasted malt backbone is apparent, as well as some tobacco and sweet black licorice. A bit of barrel remains, and some booziness, but both are very much in the background. The booziness I get is surprisingly low for a 26% ABV beer. Does not wow me, nor is it overly complex, but still very good.

Taste: Roasted malt character and bitter tobacco are the dominant components here for sure. However, there is plenty of sweetness in the form of vanilla, black licorice, and hints of barrel to offset. Does have some booziness, but does not come remotely close to drinking to its ABV.

Mouthfeel/Overall: Mouthfeel is extremely full, with a low level of fine carbonation. Very good. Overall, this is an enjoyable beer, and was much easier to finish a bottle off solo than I feared it would be. Certainly worth a look if you can get a hold of a bottle.

4.12/5  rDev -6.8%

Thanks to Cavie for sharing this bottle.

The beer pours an inky black color with a dark brown head. The aroma is very strong with a lot of chocolate and roasted malt notes. There is also a lot of oak and some bourbon notes in the aroma. Alcohol is also a big player in the smell of the beer, as can be expected from a beer this strong.

The flavor is similar. The two most prominent flavors are heavily roasted malt and chocolate. I also get some strong bourbon notes and some oak. The alcohol is also very present. I also can't quite put my finger on it, but there is something in the flavor that doesn't quite sit right with me.

The mouthfeel is about as thick as I have ever come across in a beer and the carbonation is low.

Black Damnation V - Double Black from De Struise Brouwers