Black Damnation V - Double Black - De Struise Brouwers

Black Damnation V - Double BlackBlack Damnation V - Double Black

De Struise Brouwers visit their website

American Double / Imperial Stout |  26.00% ABV

Beer added by: alcstradamus on 03-14-2010

100% of Cuvée Delphine was used that was ice distilled to 26% of alcohol volume.
4.43/5  rDev +1.4%

Poured a deep creamy dark black with a thick longg lasting creamy dark head.

The smell is heavy dark fruit and anise with a bit of dark smoke and alcohol.

The flavors are intense, huge anise and the most intense black and burnt stout taste with heavy alcohol notes and more charred smoke bi in finish, the flavor is unbeleivable.

The mouthfeel is the best I have ever felt, so creamy and full and thick.

This is pretty special, very intense and a sipper, but so very good.

3.93/5  rDev -10.1%

Had on tap at Zwanze Day Chicago. Served in a plastic cup. First beer of the day.

Appearance – Poured into my plastic cup with more than I was expecting/wanting knowing I had a full day of drinking amazing beer ahead of me. The viscosity on this beer is exactly how the name sounds. Held up to direct sunlight I was cast in a shadow. Slight carbonation has lingering bubbles up top hanging on to the sides of the cup.

Smell – Booze, heavy roasted malts, chocolate, dark fruits, and lots of molasses. This is going to be one sweet alcoholic beer.

Taste – Loads of chocolate and roast. The dark fruits (fig and plum) kept trying to fight their way to the front but the sweetness of molasses and brown sugar won out. Bourbon and vanilla round out the flavors.

Mouthfeel – I will say, this has to be one of the thickest beers I have experienced. To put it into perspective, I had to wash my cup out two times to get the remnants of this beer out. It just would not leave the sides of the cup. Lower carbonation but still decent enough for this high abv of a beer.

Overall – This is a beer I am glad I was able to try and not have to purchase on my own. To be blunt, I was not overly impressed by it. That said, I had to keep reminding myself of the alcohol content and how it really did not taste like I was drinking a 26% stout. I understand the pushing of boundaries and new limits, however, this beer is more of a novelty for me. I really did not enjoy it and I have no inclination to seek it out in the future. A monster of a beer.

4.12/5  rDev -5.7%

This version of Black Damnation originates from Cuvee Delphine, which is simply a bourbon-aged version of Black Albert. Hoever, it’s then crystallized to a Hulkish 26-percent ABV monster form of its former self. This one was shared by ejyoung and poured into a tulip.

Triple, nay, quadruple black in color. No light getting through this one. One finger of cinnamon-colored, fizzy head becomes a thin ring after a while.

Heavy, sugary aroma. Bourbon, brandy, chocolate syrup, dark chocolate, figs, red grapes.

Whew! Rich, sugary stuff. I get crystallized sugar, maple syrup, toasted oak, dark chocolate syrup, vanilla, toffee, butterscotch, molasses, bourbon and a touch of brandy. Heavy flavor.

Thick like a milkshake, this is creamy and full in body. Tongue-numbing booze and some heat in the nose. Very, very light carbonation is almost not there. It’s like a meal in a glass — all it needs is a cherry on top.

So, so rich and heavy. Big flavor, big feel. Double Black is very tasty, but I’m also very glad we split the bottle four ways.

4.62/5  rDev +5.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

On-tap at Churchkey in DC, served in a snifter.

A- Pours a thick, viscous black with a surprisingly huge, thick, creamy, mocha colored head, which has excellent retention and leaves tons of lacing.

S- Very sweet, rich aroma. Dark fruit, chocolate, caramel, vanilla, and a nice booziness.

T- A delicious blend of the sweet characteristics of the aroma with a more assertively bitter coffee/espresso with roasted grain, char, and an actually pretty mild booziness. I'm shocked at how subtle the booze is, if I had to guess I would expect this was around 16-18%. It's still a sipper because of how rich the flavors are, but the alcohol is hidden masterfully.

M- Full-bodied, smooth, creamy and a bit sticky. It isn't as flat and oil-like as I was expecting for such a high ABV, I'm really impressed that it has carbonation at all, not to mention such a nice, creamy, rich feel.

O- A delicious beer and an absolute treat to drink. Surprisingly mild on the booze and solid on the carbonation along with intense, rich coffee, roast and sweet flavors. I'm still stunned that this is 26%, it's done incredibly well.

4.5/5  rDev +3%

The Struise Brouwers were at the Borefts festival in Bodegraven, the Netherlands with a lot of super beers. In De Molen, a fine dutch brewery, were a lot of good breweries but the best brewer was The Struise.

I was there with my buddy Jeffo and he already explained this beer in the review before me. I can not add more to it than he did.

I did not notice the alcohol at all. This was one of the highlights of the 2010 festival. I am sure Urbain and his collegues have made a lot of friends with their beers.

4.49/5  rDev +2.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

2012 poured at Struise

Black as night with a dark brown head which disappears into a ring that holds well. Leaves dark film on the glass. Looks imposing.

Chocolate, graham cracker, wood, slight sweet touch of bourbon. Alcohol is hidden well but not absent for such a ridiculous beer. Wow. Some dark fruit. It's got some sweetness to it. Not much roast more along the big chocolate with dark fruit and roasty accompaniment.

Wow thick and smooth with more carbonation than you would think. Works great for this beer. It doesn't feel extreme heavy, but just like how a big stout should.

A lot more drinkable than I was expecting so that was great. The 8cl pour is perfect. I would love more but there are so many beers at Struise you must drink that it works.
Had a 2014 afterwards and it's definitely hotter than the 2012 but still delicious.

4.34/5  rDev -0.7%

750ml bottle shared 6 ways. Thanks, Mark.

A: Amazing - black as night with very dark brown head. The head retention is impressive.

S: Lots of booze, bourbon, light chocolate. Some roasted malts in the background. Lots of dark fruit. The aroma is surprisingly subdued.

T: A surprising amount of roasted malts, but dominated by chocolate. Well integrated bourbon. There is very little booziness in the flavor. Far, far less than WWS and Black Tuesday by comparison.

M: The thickest beer I've ever had. Carbonation is perfect.

O: I was skeptical as I tend to dislike the higher ABV imperial stouts. I'm also not a huge Cuvee Delphine fan. However, this beer was the highlight of the day. Well worth a shot.

4.8/5  rDev +9.8%

Fuck Yeah! Finally got to try this thing. Ever since I saw the label, I was obsessed with it, even had some weird dream about it...

Anyway, my boss (thanks Simon!) procured 2 bottles of this a while back and we agreed that we would open the first once we found out about my visa...well, it was denied. So, it was a consolation "prize" and the next bottle will be when it get's approved (fingers crossed).

Pours and by pour, I mean it slowly seeps out of the bottle resulting in a dark as night black with a solid 3 finger auburn head; glorious!

The nose; wow. Just an overload of chocolate, mollassess, vanilla, woodiness, coffee!
Taste; just as complex as the nose but all melded together into some sort of divine desert with the mouthfeel of motor oil.
Overall; was thrilled to share the bottle with the closest of friends and we all got a nice pour (most all of us wanting more). Can't wait to get that visa approval so we can drink the second bottle ;-)

I hope that for every Imperial Stout lover's sake (because this trumps any American Brewed Impy Stout) that at some point, De Sturise decides to make more of this and make it a bit more available!

4.55/5  rDev +4.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

Thank you Eric (aka TurdFurgison) for this incredible treat at Dark Lord Day... I saved my tastebuds so well all day and this one ended my ability to review ;)

Pours a nice dark brown, almost black. A few bubbles across the surface. Pours so thick and coats the glass. Smells, potent! Tons of roasted cocoa and coffee. There is a solid presence of dark fruits as well that come through as it warms. Very complex. Smells just a touch boozy. Taste is overwhelming. The roasted malts add a touch of bitterness that keep this from being a solid 5 but the dark fruits coming through couple nicely with the sweetness. Its a very powerful combination of fairly well balanced chocolate, fruit, roast, coffee, and other dark malty characteristics. The alcohol is almost completely undetectable. If I had to guess I'd put this at 12% or so.. until the glass was empty of course. The mouthfeel is great, so thick and full. Overall, phenomenal mind blowing beer!

4.6/5  rDev +5.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Reviewed from notes, and shared with my beer buddy Sam, and new found friends Eugene and Dylan, drank in Antwerp, belgium and bought from the Kulminator for 45 euros. Great price.

A - Very deep ebony colour with an oily appearance, absolutely no head but kind of expected that. The lace seems to just drain down the sideof the glass.

S - Not too bad for its ABV. Dark malts present, with vanilla and an array of dark fruits. Alcohol nowhere to be seen.

T - Fruit flavours up front, that are completely eclipsed by a wooden oak flavour, followed by intense vanilla, intense coffee, brandy, chocolate and then a little alcohol kick. Insane.

M - Only one way to describe it and thats thick, full bodied viscous. Almost no carbonation.

O - This is one of those beers that you'll never forget. It is an experience to say the least. It almost belongs in a category of its own. Dare I say it, but a masterpiece.

4.74/5  rDev +8.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Poured a thick viscous stream. Used the 8cl stem taster made for the beer so couldn't be too aggressive on the pour, resulted in very little head. Doesn't have much leg like a lot of high ABV beers such as Bruery or Utopias. Smell sweet with increase alcohol presence in the aroma as it got warm. Doesn't taste sweet at all though. Dry bitter chocolate, roasty, ever increasing alcohol presence with warmer temperature, but definitely well-hidden for 26% ABV. Mouthfeel follows the pour.

Couldn't drink a lot of but it is a beautifully done beautiful imperial stout. Definitely great for a big share. Will be looking to get another bottle.

3.76/5  rDev -14%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

A: Black pour with a minimal amount of brown head. It's the darkest of the three and coats the side of the glass very well. 4.5

S: It smells like straight alcohol. Basically a combination of vanilla and rum. All of the aromas from Black Albert and Cuvee Delphine are completely gone. 3.5

T: The flavor cuts off at the end, which I've experienced with eisbocks in the past. There is a slight chocolate base there and it actually isn't the booziest beer I've come across, despite the crazy high ABV. There is a slight amount of vanilla, but it's really all about the rum. The flavors attack the palate...and then disappear. 3.5

MF: The beer is deceptively drinkable, but very thin. The booziness does not accurately represent the ABV. 4.5

O: It's amazing that its this good after all this beer has gone through. I felt the after-effects of this beer once I stood up. I am impressed, but still believe Black Albert is the best in this series. 4

4.55/5  rDev +4.1%

Served on tap in a tasting glass at Zwanze Day.

Appearance: This beer is black as black and thick as molasses. It barely moves as I try to swirl it around the glass. Only a 26% stout can hold like this. A few tiny brown bubbles form as I pour it into the glass, but there is no hope for any retention.

Smell: The aroma is blended together very well. Dark chocolate is full and intense, chocolate and roasted malts provide a firm backbone, and bourbon is there in support. One of the few times I have had a bourbon barrel aged beer where the bourbon had more of a supporting role in the aroma.

Taste: This is thick and complex, and blended very well. Molasses, some raisins, lots of dark Belgian chocolate, full roasted malts border on burnt, a bit of anise, some vanilla, and finally, bourbon. The finish is smooth with some espresso bitterness. There is such a lack of discreet progression in this beer; one flavor just rolls into the next with great ease.

Mouthfeel: Incredibly thick body, with tightly wound flavors and carbonation. Alcohol pricks the tongue but is barely present in a soft burn in the throat. Sticky and syrupy, of course, there was no way this could not be intense on that front.

Overall: I am normally wary of super high ABV beers since they strike me as more of a gimmick than a true beer experience. Somehow, this breaks the mold and is surprisingly drinkable. By that, I mean, it drinks like a beer with half its ABV, which would still be pretty high. But I could easily enjoy sipping a glass of this over a few hours and never tiring of it.

3.77/5  rDev -13.7%

Appearance: Motor oil black with a mocha head. I got some of this on my hands while pouring and it is literally oily.

Aroma: Very strong double-strength coffee, very bitter, with lots of dark roasted malt, vanilla and tar. Boozy. Well integrated but too bitter.

Taste: Similar to the nose, although perhaps a bit more boozy. Lots of the 8-hour coffee, chocolate, vanilla, and roasted malt. Just too much booze, coffee and bitterness for me.

MOuthfeel: Thick and oily.

Overall: Interesting try, but not really drinkable. Just too much, a few ounces is plenty.

4.76/5  rDev +8.9%

750ml into Victory Winking Lizard pint glass. 2011 vintage.

A- Black sizzurp and a slowly building head that grows to a grand magnitude. 4-fingers. 26% and 4-finger head? Laces the glass like molasses or chocolate syrup. Great pour.

S- Strong chocolate, dark fruit, and lots (LOTS) of alcohol. To be expected, it's prob. the beer's only flaw.

T- Like a chocolate milkshake with bourbon. Big ashy bitterness, strong coffee and chocolate. Lots of charred oak. Bourbon heat has been concentrated, this stuff is hot on the tongue. Intense heat.

M- Thick, but carbonated. Flavors (and heat) linger... Mouth-coating and very lethargic. This is like eating a booze-filled chocolate. So decadent and rich. It's intense- and I can see how it could be off-putting to some... but this beer is right in my wheelhouse.

O- Struise, <3 <3 <3 Please make more <3 <3 <3

I loved Cuvee Delphine (4.75) and this is everything I love under a magnifying glass. Simply a beautiful beer.

I drank this entire 750ml... and I'll do it again. Wow, good stuff.

4.51/5  rDev +3.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

Holy hell, 26% ABV? This is by far the strongest beer I've been able to sample to date... Poured on tap into a tiny, 4-5oz tulip glass at Trappist Provisions, a new fantastic beer-related place located in Oakland. Wouldn't want more than 2oz of this at a time, personally...

The appearance consists of a deep, darkened color with shades of brown, black, gray, and whatever else when shined upon the light. It reminds me of a haunting, murky lake or swamp shining against a full moon, and the feeling of drinking it gives me the same anticipation of plunging into its deep, dark depths. The alcohol legs on this are massive, and nothing seems to stick to the glass for more than a second. There was pretty much no head upon the initial pour, but there are remnants of carbonation that sort of fight to stay at the top... It reminds me in that case of espresso that's been sitting out, untouched, for about 5 minutes.

The smell is simply vicious when it comes to imperial stouts, and I mean this in the best way possible. I immediately pick up intense notes of wood and dark fruitiness, and while there's barely any hops, or bitterness for that matter, there is a spicy finish that is quickly overpowered by the alcohol. This is truly more that halfway to retaining whiskey like properties in a beer... Only no corn is involved here. The alcohol is not as strong as I expected on the nose, and it relishes intense sweetened notes upon the darkened malt aromas, which often create a vanilla bean and dark chocolate combo, combined with cherries, blackberries, figs, and other similar fruits. Great stuff so far.

The flavor is unlike any beer I've had to date, for that matter. While the initial fruity and roasted complexities hit you at first, it quickly shapes into a massive - and I mean *massive* - oak chipped finish unlike anything else. It's experience similar yet far more intense to that of having an Oaked Arrogant Bastard on tap some years back. The key difference in the alcohol, which heightens the sweet vanilla experience to ridiculous levels, yet the burn only arrives far later after each sip. This contains properties very similar to tawny port wine, a highly oaked sherry, or a brandy that's been melded with tons of woody coffee. It's still distinguishably a beer, but it definitely is off the charts for proper categorization. The feel is excellent and thick - reminds me of fresh, full bodied chocolate cake recently pulled from the oven. It works because it contains liquor like properties but a beer feel without too much of an alcohol burn.

Simply put, one of the most interesting beers I've had in my whole life. Drinking it is an experience, and should not be treated as a way to get hammered or anything. This is world class sipping beer here. If I have the chance score a bottle of one these, I surely would in a heartbeat. Highly recommended!

4.53/5  rDev +3.7%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

On tap poured into a fluted stemware. Surprised to see a keg of this make it all the way over to California, but glad to try it. Beer pours pitch black, completely opaque with a finger and a half of thick creamy brown head. Surprisingly long head retention, leaving thick patches of lacing. The beer itself is very viscous, with plenty of alcohol legs.

Nose is bourbon soaked dried dark fruits, cherry and plum mixed with a touch of wood tannin and vanilla, fruity dark chocolate, espresso, and dark caramel. There is a touch of Belgian yeast spice and lighter fruit esters as it warms as well. Beer smells sweet and rich, but not much booziness.

Taste follows the nose, big flavor without any harsh alcohol flavor. Leads with the dark fruit and dark chocolate flavors, sweet smooth dark caramel. A touch of espresso and dark roast malt bitterness mid palate to balance out the sweetness. Long lingering dark fruit, dark chocolate and roasty bitterness on the tongue, as the beer just sticks to the inside of your mouth with each sip.

Probably the thickest and most viscous beer I've tried, full body and sticky, but a decent amount of fine carbonation to help lighten the beer as it hits the tongue. For 26%, the alcohol is dangerously well hidden, but the big bold flavors led me to take small sips and let it sit on the tongue to really enjoy the beer.

3.79/5  rDev -13.3%

Pours surprisingly with a head on top of an inky black body. Dark, sludgy legs cling to the side of the tulip with each sip.

Aroma is roasty, boozy, and bitter coffee. Emphasis on the booze. Stinging and harsh.

Flavor is less harsh. Big and sweet and boozy....flavor nuances are abundant. I could list them for the next 5 paragraphs. It is a bit messy, but not as harsh as I would expect for a 26% stout.

The mouthfeel is thick and creamy and perfect. One of the best mouthfeels I ever experienced.

Overall this beer is an interesting experiment. It is messy and hot and cloying, but those negatives don't stop me from reaching for the glass repeatedly for more.

4.56/5  rDev +4.3%

Thanks to bluebetty for sharing his bottle and to De Struise for making it.

Pours a nice (double) black with dark brown head on top. Ridiculously impressive for a beer of this ABV.

Smell is apple, perhaps a bit peary. No hint of the ABV whatsoever, but also no hint of the roast.

Taste is insanely good. It's roasty and charred with a bit of alcohol and a bit of sweetness but they are not overwhelming at all. Less cloyingly sweet than Black Tuesday and less ethanol than Mikkeller Black, both of which are lower ABV than this beer.

Mouthfeel on this one was awesome too.

This beer is technically brilliant and a joy to drink (amazingly, it's very drinkable) and every beer geek deserves the right to try it. No longer will high ABV be an excuse for lack of drinkability, or lack of anything else. Wouldn't have guessed this one was more than about half of its actual ABV.

3.32/5  rDev -24%

Thanks to bluebetty for this one

A-- Poured soy sauce black. No light, no visible carbonation, not much really. Did get a very short lived dark chocolate head that went away quite quickly. Massive dark chocolate oily residue left in the glass afterwards. Took two washes to get it all out.

S-- Soy Sauce, chocolate syrup, molasses, and dark fruits. Nose is quite light for the size of the beer and the ABV level. Very little alcohol smell.

T-- Soy sauce, burnt rubber, ash, char, molasses, honey, tobacco, chocolate, roasted malts. I could go on with the taste as there were a lot of flavors with this. What i liked was that the char, ash, and burnt rubber were subdued. A drinkable Mikkeller black I thought.

M-- Big, evil, mean, slick , syrupy, oily, and peaty. Really came across as a massive scotch to me. As soon as it warmed up some the ABV was in full force. Made it hard to drink for me. Zero carbonation.

O-- Could not drink more than a few ounces. Some points it was brilliant, other times not. I was at a massive disadvantage as that I was driving and could not do more than a few ounces. Either way it was difficult for me to drink and just gave up. Base beer is far better than anything Mikkeller or De Molen has done but I would not buy or really want again.

4.65/5  rDev +6.4%

Had on tap at the Alvinne Craft Beer Festival, March 4-5, in Belgium.

This brew is so thick, there were some problems pouring it from the tap. Body is very dark with a thick brown creamy head which has lasting retention, and leaves lots of lacing.

Smells of dark roasted malt, chocolate, dark fruit, vanilla.

Tastes sublime. The eisbock process really concentrates the Black Albert flavors in a good way. Taste is similar to the nose, with a strong charred malt bitterness that is well balanced by sweetness, with some fruit, dark baker's chocolate, espresso, and hint of vanilla, wood, and bourbon. Nice long somewhat bitter finish. The flavors are so strong that the alcohol is not noticeable.

Body is viscous, with moderate carbonation, it has an ultra creamy mouthfeel and is very rich, coating the mouth and tongue.

This is a big beer, loaded with flavor and alcohol. Definitely very drinkable, but must be sipped. The 26% ABV is impressive, all the moreso because of all the good flavor that goes along with it.

had this beer two times now. The first time at the borefts beer festival and the second time at the struise brewery. The beer looks extremely dark,and when one shakes the glass a bit, it looks a bit like thick syrup. The smell is full of black fruits,some cherry,vanilla,wood,roasted malts and alcohol. Taste is exactly the same as the smell,with some creamy,salty undertone.nicely balanced bitterness. Mouthfeel is perfect,it almost sticks to the tongue. Overall a great beer,altough too high in abv. I just dont like this fashion in the world of beer to make beers with such high abv....,although the alcohol is extremely well hidden. damm,this stuff is good,hell yeah!

4.75/5  rDev +8.7%

Thanks Mark!

Pours a very creamy pitch black with a huge dark chocolate milk colored super frothy head that just plain refuses to recede. Boozy smells dominate along with chocolate, coffee and burnt dark malts add to a great nose. First sip is very creamy with the burnt dark malts taking charge follow by a huge coffee finish and supported by bourbon. Surprisingly the heat is rather calm considering the enormous ABV. The chocolate is a tad chalky and this maybe the beer’s only minor fault. The heavy lacing clings to the side of the glass like velcro. Mouthfeel on this one just plain rocks. What an amazing beer!

First I must say I got to taste this on Zwanze day at Novare Res. I was there early with my wife and was told by a friend to ask about the imperial stout. I asked the manager/bartender about it he said if you like imp. stout your gonna want to try this. Before he finished I ordered and a few minute later he presented us the beer and only told me after i had tasted it that it was Damnation V.

This beer is beautiful black one of the darkest I've come across. The head is thick dark brown color and is very creamy

The aroma is all over the place, in a good way, roasted malts, chocolate, coffee with dashes of raisin and anise.

First wow, I must say the taste is excellent. I told my wife if we didn't get to try Zwanze I would leave happy. The taste is creamy, big roasted flavor, but not burnt, perfect. The other flavors of sweet chocolate and anise round in with a hint of smoke round out this beer.

WOW at 26% hard to tell this is one of the if not the best beer I've ever had had

4.11/5  rDev -5.9%

Appearance: Pours out absolutely pitch black, and has the consistency of oil. Very viscous. Probably the best combination of color and viscosity that I have seen in a stout. A dark khaki head slowly forms via tiny bubbles of carbonation, and that head has surprisingly good retention and lacing. Overall a fantastic looking stout.

Smell: A deep roasted malt backbone is apparent, as well as some tobacco and sweet black licorice. A bit of barrel remains, and some booziness, but both are very much in the background. The booziness I get is surprisingly low for a 26% ABV beer. Does not wow me, nor is it overly complex, but still very good.

Taste: Roasted malt character and bitter tobacco are the dominant components here for sure. However, there is plenty of sweetness in the form of vanilla, black licorice, and hints of barrel to offset. Does have some booziness, but does not come remotely close to drinking to its ABV.

Mouthfeel/Overall: Mouthfeel is extremely full, with a low level of fine carbonation. Very good. Overall, this is an enjoyable beer, and was much easier to finish a bottle off solo than I feared it would be. Certainly worth a look if you can get a hold of a bottle.

Black Damnation V - Double Black from De Struise Brouwers