Black Damnation V - Double Black - De Struise Brouwers

Black Damnation V - Double BlackBlack Damnation V - Double Black

De Struise Brouwers visit their website

American Double / Imperial Stout |  26.00% ABV

100% of Cuvée Delphine was used that was ice distilled to 26% of alcohol volume.

(Beer added by: alcstradamus on 03-14-2010)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters

Louisiana

4.85/5  rDev +9.7%

Struise Black Damnation V Double Black
Bought at the Struise store in Brugge, Belgium on 12-28-2011

Appearance: very dark brown, no bubbles in syrup-like lacing, and a small dark head.

Smell: roasted chocolate, malty cocoa, and faint hops.

Taste: roasted malty rich dark chocolate, vanilla, and faint sweet hops.

Mouthfeel: thick, slightly heavy, yet very smooth.

Overall:
This is fantastic. It has wonderful flavor and the alcohol is unnoticeable. It is a must try for stout fans. 26% ABV is no joke.

01-08-2012 03:34:51 | More by megahurts4
Nuggethops

New Hampshire

01-06-2012 16:26:48 | More by Nuggethops
Huhzubendah

District of Columbia

4.55/5  rDev +2.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

Bottle shared by TurdFurgison at DLD 2011. Thanks Eric!

The beer is black with a mocha head that hangs out for a brief period before leaving a bit of lacing on the snifter.

The aroma is big and potent, with scents of chocolate, raisins soaked in booze, coffee, oak, smoke, and more. Impressive.

I simply had no idea what the hell I was getting myself into. As someone said in an earlier review, Black Tuesday is for sunny afternoons by the pool. You think you've had stout milkshake before? Think again. Thick? This would be the star of the TV show "The Biggest Gainer". It's the subject of Stephen King's new novel, "Thicker". If Chuck Norris could be any stout in the world, he would be Black Damnation V, and beat the shit out of Black Tuesday just because he could. It's thick. Seriously (I think Black Tuesday is phenomenal, for the record. I am strictly referring to the full bodied feel on the palate).

The flavor brings a wealth of chocolate, roast and booze, with additional flavors of coffee, dark fruit, and syrup.

I really dug this beer. It may not be for everybody, but Urbain concocted a gem here. I never imagined I would enjoy a 26% abv beer so much.

January 5, 2012
Huge thanks to drabmuh for opening this. Split a few ways. It's nice to try this in a quieter, more sober setting.

When the beer is poured, it appears more viscous than any stout I have yet encountered. The aroma is wonderful, as I remembered. Alcohol is present, but amazingly unobtrusive. 26% ?!? Feels so smooth on the palate. A delightful beer to sip and savor.

01-06-2012 05:41:22 | More by Huhzubendah
Alieniloquium

4.25/5  rDev -3.8%

750 mL bottle poured into my CBS snifter. Thanks to Jcb890 for this bottle! Split three ways.

Appearance - I have never seen a blacker stout. Hunahpu is thick and black. This is blacker. None more black. Amazingly large head for 26%. By that I mean it's a one finger mocha head, but it lasts forever. The lacing is more due to the thickness than anything else, but it clings to the glass and stains it like no other stout.

Smell - Well, it's boozy. I get nothing else in the nose but booze. Nostril-burning booze. Maybe some roasted malts.

Taste - Dark roast extravaganza. It's like burnt chocolate, vanilla, and coffee. Black coffee in the finish. Really an amazing flavor. This is what I look for in stouts. The downside is that the alcohol overwhelms the finish.

Mouthfeel - Thick and incredibly viscous. Slick and chewy. All the great things I love about stouts. And then there's the burn. Wow. I coughed after one of the initial sips. Even so, this is far easier to drink than Black Tuesday.

Overall - There's no other beer like this. An amazing feat that a brewer was able to make something this good at such a high ABV. The faults are blatantly because of the alcohol, but I give this a 5.0 overall because there's really nothing that can be done about it. It's 26% alcohol and it's delicious.

01-03-2012 03:16:50 | More by Alieniloquium
emdawg

01-01-2012 05:46:50 | More by emdawg
stevefinny

12-25-2011 04:14:06 | More by stevefinny
6string

Germany

3.28/5  rDev -25.8%

Pours like 15-year-old used motor oil! Black! Little head once poured in the glass, which is dark brown in itself. Whoa was it thick! My tastemates all said it looked mean! (Ended up tasting mean, too!)

It burned on the lips, and kicked my ass! Do I shoot it or sip it??? The tastes are there...chocolate, caramel, coffee, even notes of cinnamon. The history is quite clear...the barrels keep the taste very potent but not overbearing. The first beer to warm my chest like my whiskey, it was awesome going down! An outstanding beer, I was extremely excited to be able to say I've tasted it. As it warms in the glass, the bite grows stronger.

Maybe this brew would be better appreciated by some experienced brewmasters, I thought it was a good beer but I can't justify rating it an A+ or 5, because I wouldn't buy a bottle again. Good, heavy content. Like my trip to the Grand Canyon, it's cool at first, but in the end, it's just another attraction based on hype that I don't fully understand. I rate my beer based on whether or not I'd drink or buy again, and I simply wouldn't do neither on this one. The two beers that ultimately create this beast are exquisite, but this monster wasn't for me.

12-23-2011 12:24:04 | More by 6string

spycow

12-12-2011 04:30:26 | More by spycow
sixthglass

Indiana

33 CL. Bottle pourned into snifter.

Pours completely black, and is extremely thick. Small head present chewing tobacco brown in color. This smells like heaven, boozey, vanilla, coffee, bitter chocolate, malts. The taste is just plain breath taking. Boozey heat, bitter chocolate , coffee, vanilla, molasses, dark fruits plum and fig, and a boozey heat finish. The mouthfeel is just fantastic , so thick and so much carbonation is present when swishing this liquid around. It leaves the tongue tingling after ever sip.

I tried the cuvee delphine a few days ago, and I had hyped it up so much in my mind and was let down. The process they put cuvee delphine through to create this beer is a gift from god. What they've created in this beer is unvelieveable. I hope to try this one again.

Thanks Mark for this one !

12-11-2011 19:20:46 | More by sixthglass
sincereNc

South Carolina

12-11-2011 05:14:55 | More by sincereNc
pixieskid

Germany

4.78/5  rDev +8.1%

Fuck Yeah! Finally got to try this thing. Ever since I saw the label, I was obsessed with it, even had some weird dream about it...

Anyway, my boss (thanks Simon!) procured 2 bottles of this a while back and we agreed that we would open the first once we found out about my visa...well, it was denied. So, it was a consolation "prize" and the next bottle will be when it get's approved (fingers crossed).

Pours and by pour, I mean it slowly seeps out of the bottle resulting in a dark as night black with a solid 3 finger auburn head; glorious!

The nose; wow. Just an overload of chocolate, mollassess, vanilla, woodiness, coffee!
Taste; just as complex as the nose but all melded together into some sort of divine desert with the mouthfeel of motor oil.
Overall; was thrilled to share the bottle with the closest of friends and we all got a nice pour (most all of us wanting more). Can't wait to get that visa approval so we can drink the second bottle ;-)

I hope that for every Imperial Stout lover's sake (because this trumps any American Brewed Impy Stout) that at some point, De Sturise decides to make more of this and make it a bit more available!

12-07-2011 09:28:15 | More by pixieskid

11-26-2011 05:02:19 | More by HopStoopid120
TheBrewViking

Alaska

4.9/5  rDev +10.9%

Start off with a huge thanks to Erik for this monstrosity, and then a giant thanks to De Struise for the perfect beer in my humble opinion. Split three ways, a little double black on black friday.

A- pours deceivingly like a normal fairly thick RIS, thin coffee colored head that fades after a few minutes

S- Smell is not as powerful as I suspected it would be, very roasty and some barrel followed by some molasses.

T- Phenomenal, this is the beer of my dreams. I get molasses and licorice with prunes, no alcohol to speak of just warmness down the throat. Very roasty and chocolatey...amazing

M- This is the thickest beer i have encountered, its like carbonated 90w gear oil.

O- F' ing A! this beer is the standard all others should be judged on. De Struise once again I tip my hat to you. Crazy beer I am very lucky to have tried this monster

11-26-2011 01:14:16 | More by TheBrewViking