Black Damnation V - Double Black - De Struise Brouwers

Black Damnation V - Double BlackBlack Damnation V - Double Black

De Struise Brouwers visit their website

American Double / Imperial Stout |  26.00% ABV

100% of Cuvée Delphine was used that was ice distilled to 26% of alcohol volume.

(Beer added by: alcstradamus on 03-14-2010)
4.6/5  rDev +4.3%

Had on tap for Zwanze day at West Lakeview in Chicago.

A: Pours a thick black used motor oil with little head.

S: Roasted malt, dark chocolate, brewed coffee and some raisins.

T: Sweet upfront with roasted, bitter cocoa and coffee. Dark fruits and maybe some burnt sugar. Amazing that I don't get 26 percent alcohol heat in this. Very well hidden.

M: Thick body. This is dessert beer for sure.

O: I really loved this beer and can't wait to have it again.

4.65/5  rDev +5.4%

A - Ink black mess of syrup with a small ring of bubbles that rise in the glass.

S - Molasses, coffee, dark fruits, oak, and a surprisingly small amount of alcohol.

T - Chocolate covered raisins and every other sugary sweet you could possibly imagine. A nice bourbon-y oak alcohol heat finishes out.

M/D - Thick and oily with just enough carbonation. This is a massive beer that I was unsure of before I opened it, but it's the real deal. I've had 13-15%abv barleywine and stouts that were noticeably hotter than this monster.

4.6/5  rDev +4.3%

Served on tap in a tasting glass at Zwanze Day.

Appearance: This beer is black as black and thick as molasses. It barely moves as I try to swirl it around the glass. Only a 26% stout can hold like this. A few tiny brown bubbles form as I pour it into the glass, but there is no hope for any retention.

Smell: The aroma is blended together very well. Dark chocolate is full and intense, chocolate and roasted malts provide a firm backbone, and bourbon is there in support. One of the few times I have had a bourbon barrel aged beer where the bourbon had more of a supporting role in the aroma.

Taste: This is thick and complex, and blended very well. Molasses, some raisins, lots of dark Belgian chocolate, full roasted malts border on burnt, a bit of anise, some vanilla, and finally, bourbon. The finish is smooth with some espresso bitterness. There is such a lack of discreet progression in this beer; one flavor just rolls into the next with great ease.

Mouthfeel: Incredibly thick body, with tightly wound flavors and carbonation. Alcohol pricks the tongue but is barely present in a soft burn in the throat. Sticky and syrupy, of course, there was no way this could not be intense on that front.

Overall: I am normally wary of super high ABV beers since they strike me as more of a gimmick than a true beer experience. Somehow, this breaks the mold and is surprisingly drinkable. By that, I mean, it drinks like a beer with half its ABV, which would still be pretty high. But I could easily enjoy sipping a glass of this over a few hours and never tiring of it.

4.35/5  rDev -1.4%

Had this on tap over the weekend. 4oz served in a tasting glass

A: Dark. Pitch black. No other way to describe it really. Despite the size of the glass, still had a decent amount of tan colored head. Some spotted lace at the top of the glass

S: A little sweet, soy saucy. Mixed with dark chocolate and roasted malt. Surprisingly, booze was basically non-existent

T: Dark chocolate, booze soaked brownies, fig/dark fruit. As it warmed, the sweetness started to drift towards soy sauce. Very small amount of booze present

M: Full bodied. Thick and viscous. Light carbonation. Dark fruity roast aftertaste

D: De Struise did really well with this one. I think a good description would be a super imperial Black Albert. Ridiculously easy to drink at 26%. However, my small pour was probably all I would want in one sitting due to the beer becoming increasingly sweeter as it warmed

3.93/5  rDev -10.9%

Had on tap at Zwanze Day Chicago. Served in a plastic cup. First beer of the day.

Appearance – Poured into my plastic cup with more than I was expecting/wanting knowing I had a full day of drinking amazing beer ahead of me. The viscosity on this beer is exactly how the name sounds. Held up to direct sunlight I was cast in a shadow. Slight carbonation has lingering bubbles up top hanging on to the sides of the cup.

Smell – Booze, heavy roasted malts, chocolate, dark fruits, and lots of molasses. This is going to be one sweet alcoholic beer.

Taste – Loads of chocolate and roast. The dark fruits (fig and plum) kept trying to fight their way to the front but the sweetness of molasses and brown sugar won out. Bourbon and vanilla round out the flavors.

Mouthfeel – I will say, this has to be one of the thickest beers I have experienced. To put it into perspective, I had to wash my cup out two times to get the remnants of this beer out. It just would not leave the sides of the cup. Lower carbonation but still decent enough for this high abv of a beer.

Overall – This is a beer I am glad I was able to try and not have to purchase on my own. To be blunt, I was not overly impressed by it. That said, I had to keep reminding myself of the alcohol content and how it really did not taste like I was drinking a 26% stout. I understand the pushing of boundaries and new limits, however, this beer is more of a novelty for me. I really did not enjoy it and I have no inclination to seek it out in the future. A monster of a beer.

First I must say I got to taste this on Zwanze day at Novare Res. I was there early with my wife and was told by a friend to ask about the imperial stout. I asked the manager/bartender about it he said if you like imp. stout your gonna want to try this. Before he finished I ordered and a few minute later he presented us the beer and only told me after i had tasted it that it was Damnation V.

This beer is beautiful black one of the darkest I've come across. The head is thick dark brown color and is very creamy

The aroma is all over the place, in a good way, roasted malts, chocolate, coffee with dashes of raisin and anise.

First wow, I must say the taste is excellent. I told my wife if we didn't get to try Zwanze I would leave happy. The taste is creamy, big roasted flavor, but not burnt, perfect. The other flavors of sweet chocolate and anise round in with a hint of smoke round out this beer.

WOW at 26% hard to tell this is one of the if not the best beer I've ever had had

4.45/5  rDev +0.9%

Poured a deep creamy dark black with a thick longg lasting creamy dark head.

The smell is heavy dark fruit and anise with a bit of dark smoke and alcohol.

The flavors are intense, huge anise and the most intense black and burnt stout taste with heavy alcohol notes and more charred smoke bi in finish, the flavor is unbeleivable.

The mouthfeel is the best I have ever felt, so creamy and full and thick.

This is pretty special, very intense and a sipper, but so very good.

3.83/5  rDev -13.2%

Pours surprisingly with a head on top of an inky black body. Dark, sludgy legs cling to the side of the tulip with each sip.

Aroma is roasty, boozy, and bitter coffee. Emphasis on the booze. Stinging and harsh.

Flavor is less harsh. Big and sweet and boozy....flavor nuances are abundant. I could list them for the next 5 paragraphs. It is a bit messy, but not as harsh as I would expect for a 26% stout.

The mouthfeel is thick and creamy and perfect. One of the best mouthfeels I ever experienced.

Overall this beer is an interesting experiment. It is messy and hot and cloying, but those negatives don't stop me from reaching for the glass repeatedly for more.

4.3/5  rDev -2.5%

Never thought i would try this on tap

Dark deep brownish black. If cola. Could be motor oil, this would be it. Light creamy chocolate head.

Very sweat and rich. Tons of chocolate and molasses with hints of toffee. Booze was hidden quite well, only a trace of heat.

Similar to the smell. Very sweet and rich. Dark chocolate milk with dark fruit. Various hints of molasses and toffee.

Mild carbonation. Insanely thick, thickest i have had. Tingle across the tongue from the alcohol.

This was good, better than i had expected.

4.78/5  rDev +8.4%

750 bomber shared by Bryan at his Black Damnation party tonight. One word - Wow. Or maybe two - Nice Beer. Pours a crazy, tar black thickness into my snifter. Translucent rainbows of sheen float around the top of the body like a BP oil spill. Nose is all coffee and cocoa - and with 26% ABV, loads of alcohol to boot. To quote my friend Logan - this is the bomb. Taste is complex and decadent.... thick and rich like hershey’s syrup with sweet chocolate, vanilla bean and italian cream-sprinkled espresso all rolled into one. Slick and sweet finish. Offers up a nice buzz. Fantastic stuff..

4.45/5  rDev +0.9%

Thanks again to MlhopeTC for bringing this 250ml bottle that he labelled himself (at Decca) to our little tasting.
A - Motor Oil, small dense head.
S - Cocoa, rich malt, and dark fruits
T - Deep roasted rich malts, cocoa, some dark fruit and a hint of booze which was amazing considering the 26%. I don't know how the do it.
M - They are genius's!! I have rarely (if ever) given a Struise beer less than a 4.5 in mouth feel. Perfect as always. fuck that, BEYOND PERFECT!! So rich dense and viscous like a milkshake that was giving my uvula a blow job.
O - Wonderful Beer, drank like it was 15% which would be dangerous if it was not so expensive. Thanks again Matt.

3.4/5  rDev -22.9%

Thanks for sharing this, Bobby!

A: The beer pours black, viscous, and surprisingly carbonated with a tan head.

S: The aroma is intense to say the least. Tons of roasted malt, dark chocolate, and booze. A decent amount of molasses and brown sugar with hints of licorice and dark fruit. There's a bit of vanilla as well.

T: Overly sweet. Tons of brown sugar, burnt sugar, molasses, and licorice. A little too much booze presence for my liking. Roasted malt and char, as expected, with some oak and more booze.

M: Thick and full on the tongue with a low but sufficient carbonation.

O: This was a very cool idea and I really wanted to try it. But, it was just too much. My couple ounces were more than enough.

4.1/5  rDev -7%

This one was shared by funkydelic with beeruser, StayWhatYouAre2, 67couple, others, and myself at a recent tasting graciously hosted by beeruser! Thank God we had quite a number of people to get down on this 750 mL bottle! Served from bottle into a Duvel Parra tulip. Poured pitch black with a minimal brown head that subsided to none quickly (guess the booze ate it). No lacing evident on this one (booze must have been hungry again). The aroma was comprised of sweet malt, roasted malt, dark chocolate, smoke, and sweet alcohol. The flavor was of sweet malt, roasted malt, dark chocolate, wood, alcohol (duh!), subtle soy sauce, and smoke. It had a heavy mouthfeel on the palate with no carbonation. Ovearll this was a pretty good brew. We all found this one to be a little smokier than we were expecting. The aroma on this one was quite nice and inviting which is kind of scary for a monster like this. The sweet alcohol note on the nose is what really made this one for me as far as the aroma. However, on the flavor the sweet alcohol flavor went away and became the stinging kind of alcohol that makes you cringe slightly when taking a shot. Still not bad though as the smoke helped to balance this out and in some cases, even overpowered it. A really well done brew that I would have again; just not in a 750 mL format.

4.65/5  rDev +5.4%

missed out on the big tasting but was ucky enugh to be able to grab a few of the smaller bottlers and shared one with alex

very deep dark black with a minimal say one inch of thick brown head that faded rather quickly leaving behind just a touch of film across the top and a nice amount of side glass lace. Absolutely opaque, no light was coming though on this one.

Smell was very full and rich, and very smoked. A ton of chocolate could be picked up at first, but this mellowed and mixed with some oak and caramel aromas. Deep sense of roasted malts comes over you, no taste of the ABV. A full on roasted and smoked malts explosion takes hold on the first sip. Deep roasted flavors, mixed in with chocolate and a robust full earthy feel. This was really complex and very smooth. Had the thick consistency of a shake like dessert, but without the carbonation. Lots of wood and oak like flavors came though out. I was shocked by how mellow this was. It really offered me no idea of how strong it was and I was able to sip through the bottle with ease.now we were hurting later, but it was worth it

4.63/5  rDev +5%

enjoyed this at a barrel aged tasting on 2011-08-06.

this is the darkest beer i've ever seen. it literally leaves a coating on the glass when you swirl it. this is midnight. no, this is 3:42 am. it really coats the glass, i've never seen anything like it. so thick the smell actually reminds me of cleaning fluid, but the flavor is actually quite good. kind of felt it would be too much to take, but it was quite drinkable. for what this is, i can't believe how drinkable it is. really impressive beer. super powerful and super tasty. if you are lucky enough to try this, go for it...it is like nothing i've had before.

4.68/5  rDev +6.1%

Bottle shared with friends (tasting notes from memory, don't usually do this but it's fairly seared in there).

A - saying this is the most viscous and sticky pour you can imagine wouldn't do this justice. It pours like engine oil. Jet black with a slowly rising tan head. Gorgeous.

Aroma - sticky dates and raisins, dark chocolate, a stemmy woodiness from the bourbon, and a hint of ashy tar to balance out the sweetness.

T - shows amazing finesse for such a huge beer, big sweet dark fruit and chocolate character dominates upfront, the barrel aging shows with more sugary sweetness. There's also a subtle spice, soft alcohol warmth and gentle tar roast in there which stops it getting too sickly sweet. Fantastic extrapolation/amplification of Black Albert.

M - the fact that it literally dried like sugar syrup on the outside of the bottle gives some indication of how thick and sticky it is. Super decadent, very similar mouthfeel to PX sherry.

O - memorable and extremely well executed. Intensity and sweetness make it definitely best enjoyed with friends.

4.5/5  rDev +2%

750ml bottle into a tasting glass. Enormous thanks go out to Knifestyles for sharing this at his birthday tasting.

A: Doubly black indeed: this beer isn't just black, it sucks the light away from its surroundings. Incredibly, it's topped by a full finger of dense, dark brown head that replenishes with a swirl and leaves some lace. Am I really looking at a 26% beer?

S: This really is stout squared (cubed? whatever's beyond that?). Everything you expect to find in a huge barrel-aged stout is here, but in its most extreme form: chocolate, coffee, bourbon, vanilla, oak, char, dark fruit, and, of course, alcohol. Intoxicating in every sense of the word.

T: Much sweeter than the nose promised, with concentrated molasses, vanilla, and chocolate. Spicy, burning alcohol and coffee close things out in memorable fashion. Delicious, but a bit too much.

M: This is hands-down the thickest, stickiest, and most syrupy beer I've ever had. The fact that it has ample carbonation, though, really helps. Memorably insane.

O: What more can I say? Drinking 2oz of this was a journey, an experience, an epiphany, an orgasm of flavor.

Cheers!

4.8/5  rDev +8.8%

750ml into Victory Winking Lizard pint glass. 2011 vintage.

A- Black sizzurp and a slowly building head that grows to a grand magnitude. 4-fingers. 26% and 4-finger head? Laces the glass like molasses or chocolate syrup. Great pour.

S- Strong chocolate, dark fruit, and lots (LOTS) of alcohol. To be expected, it's prob. the beer's only flaw.

T- Like a chocolate milkshake with bourbon. Big ashy bitterness, strong coffee and chocolate. Lots of charred oak. Bourbon heat has been concentrated, this stuff is hot on the tongue. Intense heat.

M- Thick, but carbonated. Flavors (and heat) linger... Mouth-coating and very lethargic. This is like eating a booze-filled chocolate. So decadent and rich. It's intense- and I can see how it could be off-putting to some... but this beer is right in my wheelhouse.

O- Struise, <3 <3 <3 Please make more <3 <3 <3

I loved Cuvee Delphine (4.75) and this is everything I love under a magnifying glass. Simply a beautiful beer.

I drank this entire 750ml... and I'll do it again. Wow, good stuff.

4.18/5  rDev -5.2%

Sludgy, syrupy, and black as pitch. Thick legs with a lasting head. The appearance is much more "beer-like" than Utopias, Dave and other beers of this magnitude. Impressive.

Surprisingly little booze on the nose, I'm impressed. A lot of licorice, molasses, dark chocolate and oak, subtle notes of bourbon and smoke. Rich.

The palate is very good, but almost too intense. Big molasses note up front, backed by black licorice, dark chocolate and charred oak. Little noticeable alcohol on the tongue, drinks like a beer of half the ABV. Quite a feat of brewing, but it's fatiguing to drink after a couple ounces. The body is viscous to the extreme; amazingly, it makes beers like Black Tuesday seem lightweight. Finishes with deep tar and lingering roast, licorice, drying oak. While I'm amazed by how subdued the alcohol is, 2 oz was plenty for me, and I had no desire to go back for more. More technically impressive than it is enjoyable to drink.

4.05/5  rDev -8.2%

(sampled at Dak’s Memorial Day tasting). Pours thick and black with a tan head. This just coats the glass. Aroma has alcohol and plenty of chocolate and bourbon. Taste is sweet with some roasty bitterness. Full bodied with a sticky texture. This is a really nice beer with a nice mix of sweetness, roasty bitterness and alcohol.

3.78/5  rDev -14.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Thanks to Maltzilla for sending this bottle my way.

A: Black, and thick, I mean really thick. I have never seen this thick a beer before. It left impressive lacing behind that was incredibly difficult to wash off of the glass.

S: Very chocolately with some hints of bourbon and vanilla. Lots of roasty notes with a little bit of dark fruit as well

T: Heavy chocolate and roast with dark fruit notes as well. Big toffee molasses and brown sugar flavor as well

M: it is literally a milk shake. Each sip felt thicker than the last. The alcohol was present but was hidden more by the fact this beer was so thick

D: What a monster of a beer. I took one sip and felt it go straight to my head. Be advised that this beer needs to be shared with probably ten people.

2.8/5  rDev -36.5%

A huge thanks to Mikey711 (Mikey) for this one. 2oz. pour from a capped and foiled 750ml bottle into a stemless wine glass. Had at a tasting on 6/4/11. Reviewed from notes.

A: Standard pour yields a .25 dark mocha head with great retention. Beer is a dark, opaque, motor oil black. Lacing is spotty and stringy with decent cling and thick, oily legs. A masterpiece considering how heavy it looks.

S: Nose is straight booze that covers almost everything else. Some chocolate and molasses make its way out little by little but the alcohol covers everything else. Not a fan.

T: Opens sweet soy sauce, chocolate, raisins, booze, mocha and molasses throughout. Sharp booze lingers in the background. Chocolate and molasses in the finish with an added touch of cocoa in the aftertaste. Nice but not much above average.

M: Full to super-full bodied. Sludgy and thick in the mouth almost like a protein shake. No carbonation. Oily and filmy going down. Messy finish with a lingering aftertaste. Way over the top here. Too much body.

O: This is a meal in a glass. Again, I'm not sure I'm drinking the same beer as those that say this beer hides its abv well.I could barely choke down 2oz. of this monster. In a world of over-the-top beer, this one is king. It's not for me though.

4.95/5  rDev +12.2%

On draft at the Holy Grale, served in a snifter

A: opaque dark brown, almost black in color, looks thick like motor oil, thin tan head that dissolves to a thin layer and leaves a small amount of lacing

S: dark chocolate and roasted espresso and malt, fusel alcohol, maybe a hint of dark fruit

T: dark chocolate, roasted malt, espresso coffee, some dark fruit, alcohol is definitely detectable but not near as pronounced as I expected and actually fairly well hidden for the ABV, somewhat bitter coffee aftertaste

MF: full bodied, low carbonation, very thick and smooth

O: very nice flavors, the alcohol is fairly well hidden for the ABV but will sneak up on you, this is definitely a sipper

4.97/5  rDev +12.7%

On-tap at the Struise Old School. Simply put, this is the best beer I have had to date. Do I refer to how this beast doesn't seem like the high abv it is or as a fantastic stout? It doesn't drink like a 26% beer. It is carbonated with a lasting head. The booz doesn't beat you over the head. The bourbon is in there but not overpowering. Everything just comes together nicely. Glad I bought these; I can't imagine ever parting with my remaining bottles.

4.53/5  rDev +2.7%

Had this on tap at Holy Grale in Louisville, 5oz pour into a miniature snifter.

Surprisingly this pours with a full, chocolate mousse colored head that dissipates into a tinier head with plenty of bubbles. The body is opaque black, I am talking pitch black. Like black paint. I am very impressed with the appearance of this beer. It being 26% while retaining a head blows my mind.

The smell is rich coffee and toasty malts that give way into vanilla and confection sugar with a bit of earthiness as well. Some dark fruits like plum, figs, raisins, etc. can be detected but only once the beverage warms. Booze is also present of course but it is not offensive. Once everything is added up it kind of smells like a warm dark chocolate s'more.

Easily the most well masked, extremely high alcohol beer I've had. The booze is present but it really just drinks like a normal, fresh bourbon aged imperial stout. The flavor is much like a roasted marshmallow liqueur mixed in with a strong, fresh cup of coffee. A tiny bit of earthiness from the hops, but the predominate flavors here are sweet, roasty coffee and marshmallow. It's as if someone toasted a marshmallow and then covered it in 80% cocoa dark chocolate then poured a teaspoon of bourbon on it. Yummy and outstanding tasting for the ABV.

Mouthfeel is low carbonation and very heavy. Almost syrupy. Too much of this would make you sick just from the consistency and sweetness of the brew. But it is what it is. I don't see how else a beer like this could be made without it having a syrup like quality to it.

Overall, a fantastic beer from de Struise. From what I understand, it took Urbain and the guys 3 years to develop this beer to where they wanted it to be before they unleashed it. I am immensely impressed with it, to be honest. The alcohol is so well hidden you would think the brew would be 15% or 16% at the most. And the fact that it is so high in alcohol yet still maintains the qualities of an everyday beer (carbonation, a head, not so heavy alcohol flavor), when so many other high ABV beers have an offensive booze character to it with absolutely no carbonation and head, is probably the most impressive thing about this beer. Plus it actually tastes good! Just outstanding, it's a damn shame it's so rare because any stout lover would be all over this beer. A must try if you can find it.

Black Damnation V - Double Black from De Struise Brouwers