Black Damnation V - Double Black - De Struise Brouwers

Black Damnation V - Double BlackBlack Damnation V - Double Black

De Struise Brouwers visit their website

American Double / Imperial Stout |  26.00% ABV

Beer added by: alcstradamus on 03-14-2010

100% of Cuvée Delphine was used that was ice distilled to 26% of alcohol volume.
3.43/5  rDev -21.1%

Pours oily black with virtually no head. Reddish brown highlights in the colour as we sip it.A Bitterness that gets worse not better as you drink it. It becomes altogether not such a great bitterness and that limits the drinkability as does the extremely high abv. An OK smell. In a word,Unbalanced. Liam's bomber straight from the brewery this year. (350 characters)

4.88/5  rDev +12.2%

Shared with some friends for International Stout Day.

This is one of the RARE treats that we occasionally get to sample. I was lucky to be able to get in on this purchase with a friend.

Pop the cork and watch out! Pour is like 10W-40, thick and BLACK. Minimal head and lacing.. Not as much alochol on the nose as expected, coffee, toffee caramel and roasted malts come out in droves. Swill and examine...boy this is one black beautiful brew. At first taste is sweet and sticky, how did they manage to hide this HUGE 26% Monster so well? Mouthfeel is thick and balanced. Not over the top, but balanced, slightly sweet with a nice dry finish. Leaves your lips covered in stickiness like caramel candy. Goes down smooth Slight booziness lingers, but that is to be expected from a beer this BIG. All in all I couldn't believe that this beer was as good as it is. Just such balance of the extremes. It amazes me how awesome this beer is. If you get a chance, please do yourself a favor and try this bad boy! Cheers! (1,013 characters)

4.68/5  rDev +7.6%

I got this beer with thanks to the Brabander. Thanks again man for getting this massive one for me. Last friday I had a good opportunity with my wife, my friend Ed and his wife Astrid to open one bottle.

A - A pitch black beer with a brown head. You can just see that this is a heavy beer! - This is motor oil!

S - What a wonderful smell of chocolate, cherries and spices such as cinnamon and cardamom and don't forget the booze.

T - Wow! A powerful sweet taste of chocolate and booze with hints of dark fruit, herbs / spices (like in a gingerbread kind of way)

M - A low carbonation that fits perfectly with a sipper beer like this. Sticky in the mouth, such as syrup, and spicy due to the herbs. This is excellent beer syrup!!!

O - A great beer, nice spiciness and sticky. Worth buying but far too expensive compared to the experience. We all loved it though!

I had another opportunity to taste this beer again on the 11th of December 2011 at a perfect beer tasting at Erik's place. With thanks to Jeff too. I am altering my review after this session; appearance, mouth feel and overall should be a half point more than before. (1,136 characters)

4.12/5  rDev -5.3%

Thanks to Cavie for sharing this bottle.

The beer pours an inky black color with a dark brown head. The aroma is very strong with a lot of chocolate and roasted malt notes. There is also a lot of oak and some bourbon notes in the aroma. Alcohol is also a big player in the smell of the beer, as can be expected from a beer this strong.

The flavor is similar. The two most prominent flavors are heavily roasted malt and chocolate. I also get some strong bourbon notes and some oak. The alcohol is also very present. I also can't quite put my finger on it, but there is something in the flavor that doesn't quite sit right with me.

The mouthfeel is about as thick as I have ever come across in a beer and the carbonation is low. (731 characters)

4.18/5  rDev -3.9%

Huge thanks to bluebetty for teeing this up.

Thick tarry black with a decent half-finger brown head which surprises, given that I was expecting none. Leaves a yellowy slick when swirled against the sides.

Molasses, burnt tyres, peat, apple, scorched vegemite, 99% dark chocolate and soy sauce. Huge, but not 26% huge.

Tar, boozy raisins, smoke, molasses, apple, burnt caramel, burnt plastic and more miscellaneous burnt things. Surprisingly approachable, all things considered.

A f8cking behemoth in the mouth, but crazy smooth. Gets bigger, thicker, boozier and tougher to deal with over the course, but never overwhelms.

Like being pleasantly assaulted. Pretty outrageous brew that somehow manages a higher drinkability than many stouts half its strength. (762 characters)

4.75/5  rDev +9.2%

Thanks Mark!

Pours a very creamy pitch black with a huge dark chocolate milk colored super frothy head that just plain refuses to recede. Boozy smells dominate along with chocolate, coffee and burnt dark malts add to a great nose. First sip is very creamy with the burnt dark malts taking charge follow by a huge coffee finish and supported by bourbon. Surprisingly the heat is rather calm considering the enormous ABV. The chocolate is a tad chalky and this maybe the beer’s only minor fault. The heavy lacing clings to the side of the glass like velcro. Mouthfeel on this one just plain rocks. What an amazing beer! (620 characters)

4.34/5  rDev -0.2%

750ml bottle shared 6 ways. Thanks, Mark.

A: Amazing - black as night with very dark brown head. The head retention is impressive.

S: Lots of booze, bourbon, light chocolate. Some roasted malts in the background. Lots of dark fruit. The aroma is surprisingly subdued.

T: A surprising amount of roasted malts, but dominated by chocolate. Well integrated bourbon. There is very little booziness in the flavor. Far, far less than WWS and Black Tuesday by comparison.

M: The thickest beer I've ever had. Carbonation is perfect.

O: I was skeptical as I tend to dislike the higher ABV imperial stouts. I'm also not a huge Cuvee Delphine fan. However, this beer was the highlight of the day. Well worth a shot. (708 characters)

4.42/5  rDev +1.6%

Oh man, what a pleasant surprise for some early afternoon drinking. Bye bye hangover!

A: Four ounce tasting glass looks like it was filled with watered down molasses. Straight black and very full looking. Nice little mocha cap on top.

S: Lots of sweet roasted malts along with some deep dark chocolate. Some definite soy sauce, but its in check thankfully. This does not smell like its 26%, I've had regular stouts that have way more booze coming out of them.

T: Burnt edge of brownies, bitter chocolate, some sweet dark fruit hydrated in booze. With that said, it doesn't taste nearly as hot as I was expecting. Soy can again be found once it warms, but it doesn't ruin it for me.

M: Hard to find much carbonation in such a full bodied viscous substance. Nice roasted aftertaste.

O: Damn, gotta hand it too De Struise, this works much better than I expected. Might be the best variation of Black Albert I've had and that is definitely saying something. If I had a 750 ml of this I'd definitely share it with someone....but I'd probably keep hoping I could get more than them. (1,081 characters)

3.32/5  rDev -23.7%

Thanks to bluebetty for this one

A-- Poured soy sauce black. No light, no visible carbonation, not much really. Did get a very short lived dark chocolate head that went away quite quickly. Massive dark chocolate oily residue left in the glass afterwards. Took two washes to get it all out.

S-- Soy Sauce, chocolate syrup, molasses, and dark fruits. Nose is quite light for the size of the beer and the ABV level. Very little alcohol smell.

T-- Soy sauce, burnt rubber, ash, char, molasses, honey, tobacco, chocolate, roasted malts. I could go on with the taste as there were a lot of flavors with this. What i liked was that the char, ash, and burnt rubber were subdued. A drinkable Mikkeller black I thought.

M-- Big, evil, mean, slick , syrupy, oily, and peaty. Really came across as a massive scotch to me. As soon as it warmed up some the ABV was in full force. Made it hard to drink for me. Zero carbonation.

O-- Could not drink more than a few ounces. Some points it was brilliant, other times not. I was at a massive disadvantage as that I was driving and could not do more than a few ounces. Either way it was difficult for me to drink and just gave up. Base beer is far better than anything Mikkeller or De Molen has done but I would not buy or really want again. (1,281 characters)

4.44/5  rDev +2.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Again; thanx to my pal Anders who brought me a sample from Stockholm Beer and Whisky festival.

A: Pours pitch black with no head and no lacings. Looks syrupy.

S: Lots of dark dried fruits and molasses. Roasted very sweet dark malt. Some faint chocolate.

T: Rich roasted and a bit smoked sweet, very sweet dark malt. Vanilla and dark dried fruits. Syrupy. Bitter chocolate.

M: Long smoky bitter aftertaste. Body is thick and syrupy, carbonation doesn't exist. SMOOTH!

O: This is the best really-strong-beer I've had. It tastes like a beer, but very complex. (562 characters)

4.56/5  rDev +4.8%

Thanks to bluebetty for sharing his bottle and to De Struise for making it.

Pours a nice (double) black with dark brown head on top. Ridiculously impressive for a beer of this ABV.

Smell is apple, perhaps a bit peary. No hint of the ABV whatsoever, but also no hint of the roast.

Taste is insanely good. It's roasty and charred with a bit of alcohol and a bit of sweetness but they are not overwhelming at all. Less cloyingly sweet than Black Tuesday and less ethanol than Mikkeller Black, both of which are lower ABV than this beer.

Mouthfeel on this one was awesome too.

This beer is technically brilliant and a joy to drink (amazingly, it's very drinkable) and every beer geek deserves the right to try it. No longer will high ABV be an excuse for lack of drinkability, or lack of anything else. Wouldn't have guessed this one was more than about half of its actual ABV. (878 characters)

4.4/5  rDev +1.1%

Sampled at Zwanze Day 2011 courtesy of West Lakeview Liquors. Thanks for the great event Kristina!

Pours out looking like extra viscous soy sauce - it's thick and smears itself around the glass leaving a brown haze upon everything it touches. Double Black indeed. There are hints of carbonation, but no foam.

Smell is intense. There's a strong honey sweetness, followed by a lot of herbal and earthy notes. Some chocolate and dark fruit as well. There's a subtle bourbon finish, but it in no way dominates the rest of the flavors. Similarly, the heat is subtle - surprisingly lacking, and only shows up as the beer warms.

Taste is delicious. Honey, molasses, roasted malts, chocolate, and a hint of smoke. There's alcohol there, but it isn't tasted so much as felt. It's a super smooth beer.

Feel is impressive. It's unbelievably thick, and works well even though there's very little carbination. The alcohol makes itself known here - it prickles the tongue and warms the mouth nicely. Unlike anything I've previously experienced in a beer.

Overall, a super intense and awesome drinking experience. As everyone says, it's hard to believe that this is a 26% beer. (1,167 characters)

4.29/5  rDev -1.4%

Poured into a sniffer, big thanks to xpimptastikx for bring this one to the bottle share!

Appearance: Super thick and viscous, black with no head only a thin brown ring around the side of the glass.

Aroma: If I didn't know how much alcohol was in here I wouldn't have been able to guess its 26%. Molasses, dark fruit, chocolate, roasted notes, raisins and even some leather.

Taste: Like I stated above, wouldn't be able to guess its 26%, lots of chocolate, some burnt sugar, raisins, and bourbon.

Mouthfeel: Thick and chewy with a minimal amount of carbonation and not really that boozy.

Overall: This is a very good beer and if I had the chance I would seek it out. Deceptively smooth, this is a monster of a beer. (724 characters)

4.17/5  rDev -4.1%

Huge thanks to jdiddy for breaking this one out. It's been a long time want. Pours the color and consistency of motor oil. No head whatsoever - just a thin, tight band around the edges. Really complex nose - port sherry, sake, bourbon, buttery notes, dark malts, molasses and licorice. Taste expresses soy sauce, brown sugar, a trace of oxidation, a slight vinous character and a bitter char that is revealed towards the back and lingers between quaffs. This beer is a serious malt bomb. Mouthfeel is medium-bodied with an oily/viscous texture and some residual heat; surprisingly little given the abv. A pretty solid beer, but a little (say 4-6oz.) will certainly do you, so share this one with 5 or 6 friends. I'm definitely grateful for having had the opportunity to try this one. (783 characters)

4.55/5  rDev +4.6%

Had on tap for Zwanze day at West Lakeview in Chicago.

A: Pours a thick black used motor oil with little head.

S: Roasted malt, dark chocolate, brewed coffee and some raisins.

T: Sweet upfront with roasted, bitter cocoa and coffee. Dark fruits and maybe some burnt sugar. Amazing that I don't get 26 percent alcohol heat in this. Very well hidden.

M: Thick body. This is dessert beer for sure.

O: I really loved this beer and can't wait to have it again. (459 characters)

4.65/5  rDev +6.9%

A - Ink black mess of syrup with a small ring of bubbles that rise in the glass.

S - Molasses, coffee, dark fruits, oak, and a surprisingly small amount of alcohol.

T - Chocolate covered raisins and every other sugary sweet you could possibly imagine. A nice bourbon-y oak alcohol heat finishes out.

M/D - Thick and oily with just enough carbonation. This is a massive beer that I was unsure of before I opened it, but it's the real deal. I've had 13-15%abv barleywine and stouts that were noticeably hotter than this monster. (529 characters)

4.55/5  rDev +4.6%

Served on tap in a tasting glass at Zwanze Day.

Appearance: This beer is black as black and thick as molasses. It barely moves as I try to swirl it around the glass. Only a 26% stout can hold like this. A few tiny brown bubbles form as I pour it into the glass, but there is no hope for any retention.

Smell: The aroma is blended together very well. Dark chocolate is full and intense, chocolate and roasted malts provide a firm backbone, and bourbon is there in support. One of the few times I have had a bourbon barrel aged beer where the bourbon had more of a supporting role in the aroma.

Taste: This is thick and complex, and blended very well. Molasses, some raisins, lots of dark Belgian chocolate, full roasted malts border on burnt, a bit of anise, some vanilla, and finally, bourbon. The finish is smooth with some espresso bitterness. There is such a lack of discreet progression in this beer; one flavor just rolls into the next with great ease.

Mouthfeel: Incredibly thick body, with tightly wound flavors and carbonation. Alcohol pricks the tongue but is barely present in a soft burn in the throat. Sticky and syrupy, of course, there was no way this could not be intense on that front.

Overall: I am normally wary of super high ABV beers since they strike me as more of a gimmick than a true beer experience. Somehow, this breaks the mold and is surprisingly drinkable. By that, I mean, it drinks like a beer with half its ABV, which would still be pretty high. But I could easily enjoy sipping a glass of this over a few hours and never tiring of it. (1,575 characters)

4.33/5  rDev -0.5%

Had this on tap over the weekend. 4oz served in a tasting glass

A: Dark. Pitch black. No other way to describe it really. Despite the size of the glass, still had a decent amount of tan colored head. Some spotted lace at the top of the glass

S: A little sweet, soy saucy. Mixed with dark chocolate and roasted malt. Surprisingly, booze was basically non-existent

T: Dark chocolate, booze soaked brownies, fig/dark fruit. As it warmed, the sweetness started to drift towards soy sauce. Very small amount of booze present

M: Full bodied. Thick and viscous. Light carbonation. Dark fruity roast aftertaste

D: De Struise did really well with this one. I think a good description would be a super imperial Black Albert. Ridiculously easy to drink at 26%. However, my small pour was probably all I would want in one sitting due to the beer becoming increasingly sweeter as it warmed (881 characters)

3.93/5  rDev -9.7%

Had on tap at Zwanze Day Chicago. Served in a plastic cup. First beer of the day.

Appearance – Poured into my plastic cup with more than I was expecting/wanting knowing I had a full day of drinking amazing beer ahead of me. The viscosity on this beer is exactly how the name sounds. Held up to direct sunlight I was cast in a shadow. Slight carbonation has lingering bubbles up top hanging on to the sides of the cup.

Smell – Booze, heavy roasted malts, chocolate, dark fruits, and lots of molasses. This is going to be one sweet alcoholic beer.

Taste – Loads of chocolate and roast. The dark fruits (fig and plum) kept trying to fight their way to the front but the sweetness of molasses and brown sugar won out. Bourbon and vanilla round out the flavors.

Mouthfeel – I will say, this has to be one of the thickest beers I have experienced. To put it into perspective, I had to wash my cup out two times to get the remnants of this beer out. It just would not leave the sides of the cup. Lower carbonation but still decent enough for this high abv of a beer.

Overall – This is a beer I am glad I was able to try and not have to purchase on my own. To be blunt, I was not overly impressed by it. That said, I had to keep reminding myself of the alcohol content and how it really did not taste like I was drinking a 26% stout. I understand the pushing of boundaries and new limits, however, this beer is more of a novelty for me. I really did not enjoy it and I have no inclination to seek it out in the future. A monster of a beer. (1,546 characters)

First I must say I got to taste this on Zwanze day at Novare Res. I was there early with my wife and was told by a friend to ask about the imperial stout. I asked the manager/bartender about it he said if you like imp. stout your gonna want to try this. Before he finished I ordered and a few minute later he presented us the beer and only told me after i had tasted it that it was Damnation V.

This beer is beautiful black one of the darkest I've come across. The head is thick dark brown color and is very creamy

The aroma is all over the place, in a good way, roasted malts, chocolate, coffee with dashes of raisin and anise.

First wow, I must say the taste is excellent. I told my wife if we didn't get to try Zwanze I would leave happy. The taste is creamy, big roasted flavor, but not burnt, perfect. The other flavors of sweet chocolate and anise round in with a hint of smoke round out this beer.

WOW at 26% hard to tell this is one of the if not the best beer I've ever had had (991 characters)

4.43/5  rDev +1.8%

Poured a deep creamy dark black with a thick longg lasting creamy dark head.

The smell is heavy dark fruit and anise with a bit of dark smoke and alcohol.

The flavors are intense, huge anise and the most intense black and burnt stout taste with heavy alcohol notes and more charred smoke bi in finish, the flavor is unbeleivable.

The mouthfeel is the best I have ever felt, so creamy and full and thick.

This is pretty special, very intense and a sipper, but so very good. (476 characters)

3.79/5  rDev -12.9%

Pours surprisingly with a head on top of an inky black body. Dark, sludgy legs cling to the side of the tulip with each sip.

Aroma is roasty, boozy, and bitter coffee. Emphasis on the booze. Stinging and harsh.

Flavor is less harsh. Big and sweet and boozy....flavor nuances are abundant. I could list them for the next 5 paragraphs. It is a bit messy, but not as harsh as I would expect for a 26% stout.

The mouthfeel is thick and creamy and perfect. One of the best mouthfeels I ever experienced.

Overall this beer is an interesting experiment. It is messy and hot and cloying, but those negatives don't stop me from reaching for the glass repeatedly for more. (666 characters)

4.28/5  rDev -1.6%

Never thought i would try this on tap

Dark deep brownish black. If cola. Could be motor oil, this would be it. Light creamy chocolate head.

Very sweat and rich. Tons of chocolate and molasses with hints of toffee. Booze was hidden quite well, only a trace of heat.

Similar to the smell. Very sweet and rich. Dark chocolate milk with dark fruit. Various hints of molasses and toffee.

Mild carbonation. Insanely thick, thickest i have had. Tingle across the tongue from the alcohol.

This was good, better than i had expected. (531 characters)

4.75/5  rDev +9.2%

750 bomber shared by Bryan at his Black Damnation party tonight. One word - Wow. Or maybe two - Nice Beer. Pours a crazy, tar black thickness into my snifter. Translucent rainbows of sheen float around the top of the body like a BP oil spill. Nose is all coffee and cocoa - and with 26% ABV, loads of alcohol to boot. To quote my friend Logan - this is the bomb. Taste is complex and decadent.... thick and rich like hershey’s syrup with sweet chocolate, vanilla bean and italian cream-sprinkled espresso all rolled into one. Slick and sweet finish. Offers up a nice buzz. Fantastic stuff.. (592 characters)

4.43/5  rDev +1.8%

Thanks again to MlhopeTC for bringing this 250ml bottle that he labelled himself (at Decca) to our little tasting.
A - Motor Oil, small dense head.
S - Cocoa, rich malt, and dark fruits
T - Deep roasted rich malts, cocoa, some dark fruit and a hint of booze which was amazing considering the 26%. I don't know how the do it.
M - They are genius's!! I have rarely (if ever) given a Struise beer less than a 4.5 in mouth feel. Perfect as always. fuck that, BEYOND PERFECT!! So rich dense and viscous like a milkshake that was giving my uvula a blow job.
O - Wonderful Beer, drank like it was 15% which would be dangerous if it was not so expensive. Thanks again Matt. (665 characters)

Black Damnation V - Double Black from De Struise Brouwers