2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Black Damnation V - Double Black - De Struise Brouwers

Black Damnation V - Double BlackBlack Damnation V - Double Black

De Struise Brouwers visit their website

American Double / Imperial Stout |  26.00% ABV

100% of Cuvée Delphine was used that was ice distilled to 26% of alcohol volume.

(Beer added by: alcstradamus on 03-14-2010)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
Ratings: 272 | Reviews: 107 | Show All Ratings:
ZombiesAteMyDog

Indiana

4.18/5  rDev -5.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

A - Black with a surprising head. The lacing coats the side of the glass, but does not appear greasy/oily.

S - booze and bakery's chocolate. It's not as fragrant as the cuvée.

T - bourbon, roastd barley, and sweet vanilla and oak... It finishes with a fair amount of burn. Burnt molasses lingers on the tongue.

M - Low carbonation and still very creamy/smooth in texture. Quite velvety in mouthfeel. I would have guessed it was 13% ABV... This one surprised me.

O - This is by far the highest ABV beer I've ever had, and it's strange that I would not have guessed it was over 13%. Overall, it's another nice variant on Black Albert... I am glad I had the Cuvee Delphine first, and I prefered this much more. Eisbock processed stouts are pretty awesome.

06-27-2013 23:20:44 | More by ZombiesAteMyDog
russwbeck

3.75/5  rDev -15.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

A: Black pour with a minimal amount of brown head. It's the darkest of the three and coats the side of the glass very well. 4.5

S: It smells like straight alcohol. Basically a combination of vanilla and rum. All of the aromas from Black Albert and Cuvee Delphine are completely gone. 3.5

T: The flavor cuts off at the end, which I've experienced with eisbocks in the past. There is a slight chocolate base there and it actually isn't the booziest beer I've come across, despite the crazy high ABV. There is a slight amount of vanilla, but it's really all about the rum. The flavors attack the palate...and then disappear. 3.5

MF: The beer is deceptively drinkable, but very thin. The booziness does not accurately represent the ABV. 4.5

O: It's amazing that its this good after all this beer has gone through. I felt the after-effects of this beer once I stood up. I am impressed, but still believe Black Albert is the best in this series. 4

04-15-2013 01:56:34 | More by russwbeck
Rifugium

3.74/5  rDev -15.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

First had: on tap at Farmers Cabinet, Philly, PA

Dark black hole color, topped--surprisingly--with a small, sturdy cap of tan head. Aroma of dark malts, roasty, pretty heavy with booze, dark sugars, a hint of anise. Definitely hot on the palate, but that's to be expected with the reported ABV. There was an almost bourbon-barrel-ish flavor profile here, roasty dark malts, dark chocolate, burnt molasses, anise, coffee. Chewy mouthfeel, pretty intense, body on the heavier side of medium, though the boozy kick seemed to thin it out a bit in the finish. Nice overall; not exactly an easy drinker, but delivers what is promised.

03-12-2013 00:04:35 | More by Rifugium
smakawhat

Maryland

4.9/5  rDev +10.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 5

Poured on tap into a snifter glass at Churchkey. only 4oz pour allowed (I mean it is 26%). From notes.

Real dark head. Super dark mocha brown top, with tight bubbles and lots of staying power. A walnut black body, not quite pitch black but still hard to say, always leaves a great 3mm collar while drinking. Very impressive and dark looking brew.

Nose hits with a real nice rush of impressive, subtle, and distinct senses. Light rauchbier like smoke mixing with mild coffee. Lots of fresh chopped and splintered wood. Dried figs, and soft raisins, and lots of charring roasted malt. It smells subdued, but incredibly complex.

Palate hits with a delicious fruit smoothness. Lingering roast coffee on the finish and a drying malt finish. Super silky with mild molasses. Wine like thick deep red cab sauv body. Some little tight carbonation on the tip of the tongue. Lots of lingering roast, and smokey fruits on the finish. Lasting, delicate, and unique.

Overall it reminds me of a superior Marshal Zhukov, and you can't even tell this is 26% abv. Just a wonderful drink all around. This might be my new favorite large stout I've had to date. Mind blown.

02-13-2013 01:17:40 | More by smakawhat
WillCarrera

4.63/5  rDev +4.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

On-tap at Churchkey in DC, served in a snifter.

A- Pours a thick, viscous black with a surprisingly huge, thick, creamy, mocha colored head, which has excellent retention and leaves tons of lacing.

S- Very sweet, rich aroma. Dark fruit, chocolate, caramel, vanilla, and a nice booziness.

T- A delicious blend of the sweet characteristics of the aroma with a more assertively bitter coffee/espresso with roasted grain, char, and an actually pretty mild booziness. I'm shocked at how subtle the booze is, if I had to guess I would expect this was around 16-18%. It's still a sipper because of how rich the flavors are, but the alcohol is hidden masterfully.

M- Full-bodied, smooth, creamy and a bit sticky. It isn't as flat and oil-like as I was expecting for such a high ABV, I'm really impressed that it has carbonation at all, not to mention such a nice, creamy, rich feel.

O- A delicious beer and an absolute treat to drink. Surprisingly mild on the booze and solid on the carbonation along with intense, rich coffee, roast and sweet flavors. I'm still stunned that this is 26%, it's done incredibly well.

02-12-2013 02:37:28 | More by WillCarrera
nataku00

4.53/5  rDev +2.5%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

On tap poured into a fluted stemware. Surprised to see a keg of this make it all the way over to California, but glad to try it. Beer pours pitch black, completely opaque with a finger and a half of thick creamy brown head. Surprisingly long head retention, leaving thick patches of lacing. The beer itself is very viscous, with plenty of alcohol legs.

Nose is bourbon soaked dried dark fruits, cherry and plum mixed with a touch of wood tannin and vanilla, fruity dark chocolate, espresso, and dark caramel. There is a touch of Belgian yeast spice and lighter fruit esters as it warms as well. Beer smells sweet and rich, but not much booziness.

Taste follows the nose, big flavor without any harsh alcohol flavor. Leads with the dark fruit and dark chocolate flavors, sweet smooth dark caramel. A touch of espresso and dark roast malt bitterness mid palate to balance out the sweetness. Long lingering dark fruit, dark chocolate and roasty bitterness on the tongue, as the beer just sticks to the inside of your mouth with each sip.

Probably the thickest and most viscous beer I've tried, full body and sticky, but a decent amount of fine carbonation to help lighten the beer as it hits the tongue. For 26%, the alcohol is dangerously well hidden, but the big bold flavors led me to take small sips and let it sit on the tongue to really enjoy the beer.

01-16-2013 17:35:07 | More by nataku00
popery

4.9/5  rDev +10.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 5

Wow. This is delicious. I'm kinda blown away. Anywho, it pours motor oil black. Looks a lot like motor oil but with a tight dark brown cap. The aroma is huge with coffee and dark chocolate. Tons of it. There's some nice dark fruit in there as well. Lots of molasses and caramel. Massive flavor. Sweet with all sorts of chocolate. It's like drinking a very fancy wonderful brownie. I can't believe there isn't more booze to the beer. Feel is thick. Very thick. This is one of the best stouts I've ever had. Delicious.

01-16-2013 02:36:14 | More by popery
magictacosinus

4.51/5  rDev +2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

Holy hell, 26% ABV? This is by far the strongest beer I've been able to sample to date... Poured on tap into a tiny, 4-5oz tulip glass at Trappist Provisions, a new fantastic beer-related place located in Oakland. Wouldn't want more than 2oz of this at a time, personally...

The appearance consists of a deep, darkened color with shades of brown, black, gray, and whatever else when shined upon the light. It reminds me of a haunting, murky lake or swamp shining against a full moon, and the feeling of drinking it gives me the same anticipation of plunging into its deep, dark depths. The alcohol legs on this are massive, and nothing seems to stick to the glass for more than a second. There was pretty much no head upon the initial pour, but there are remnants of carbonation that sort of fight to stay at the top... It reminds me in that case of espresso that's been sitting out, untouched, for about 5 minutes.

The smell is simply vicious when it comes to imperial stouts, and I mean this in the best way possible. I immediately pick up intense notes of wood and dark fruitiness, and while there's barely any hops, or bitterness for that matter, there is a spicy finish that is quickly overpowered by the alcohol. This is truly more that halfway to retaining whiskey like properties in a beer... Only no corn is involved here. The alcohol is not as strong as I expected on the nose, and it relishes intense sweetened notes upon the darkened malt aromas, which often create a vanilla bean and dark chocolate combo, combined with cherries, blackberries, figs, and other similar fruits. Great stuff so far.

The flavor is unlike any beer I've had to date, for that matter. While the initial fruity and roasted complexities hit you at first, it quickly shapes into a massive - and I mean *massive* - oak chipped finish unlike anything else. It's experience similar yet far more intense to that of having an Oaked Arrogant Bastard on tap some years back. The key difference in the alcohol, which heightens the sweet vanilla experience to ridiculous levels, yet the burn only arrives far later after each sip. This contains properties very similar to tawny port wine, a highly oaked sherry, or a brandy that's been melded with tons of woody coffee. It's still distinguishably a beer, but it definitely is off the charts for proper categorization. The feel is excellent and thick - reminds me of fresh, full bodied chocolate cake recently pulled from the oven. It works because it contains liquor like properties but a beer feel without too much of an alcohol burn.

Simply put, one of the most interesting beers I've had in my whole life. Drinking it is an experience, and should not be treated as a way to get hammered or anything. This is world class sipping beer here. If I have the chance score a bottle of one these, I surely would in a heartbeat. Highly recommended!

01-13-2013 18:48:30 | More by magictacosinus
Drazzamatazz

4.43/5  rDev +0.2%

Oh man, what a pleasant surprise for some early afternoon drinking. Bye bye hangover!

A: Four ounce tasting glass looks like it was filled with watered down molasses. Straight black and very full looking. Nice little mocha cap on top.

S: Lots of sweet roasted malts along with some deep dark chocolate. Some definite soy sauce, but its in check thankfully. This does not smell like its 26%, I've had regular stouts that have way more booze coming out of them.

T: Burnt edge of brownies, bitter chocolate, some sweet dark fruit hydrated in booze. With that said, it doesn't taste nearly as hot as I was expecting. Soy can again be found once it warms, but it doesn't ruin it for me.

M: Hard to find much carbonation in such a full bodied viscous substance. Nice roasted aftertaste.

O: Damn, gotta hand it too De Struise, this works much better than I expected. Might be the best variation of Black Albert I've had and that is definitely saying something. If I had a 750 ml of this I'd definitely share it with someone....but I'd probably keep hoping I could get more than them.

10-16-2011 15:43:53 | More by Drazzamatazz
Sunnanek

Sweden

4.45/5  rDev +0.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Again; thanx to my pal Anders who brought me a sample from Stockholm Beer and Whisky festival.

A: Pours pitch black with no head and no lacings. Looks syrupy.

S: Lots of dark dried fruits and molasses. Roasted very sweet dark malt. Some faint chocolate.

T: Rich roasted and a bit smoked sweet, very sweet dark malt. Vanilla and dark dried fruits. Syrupy. Bitter chocolate.

M: Long smoky bitter aftertaste. Body is thick and syrupy, carbonation doesn't exist. SMOOTH!

O: This is the best really-strong-beer I've had. It tastes like a beer, but very complex.

10-15-2011 19:22:03 | More by Sunnanek
readbaron

4.43/5  rDev +0.2%

Sampled at Zwanze Day 2011 courtesy of West Lakeview Liquors. Thanks for the great event Kristina!

Pours out looking like extra viscous soy sauce - it's thick and smears itself around the glass leaving a brown haze upon everything it touches. Double Black indeed. There are hints of carbonation, but no foam.

Smell is intense. There's a strong honey sweetness, followed by a lot of herbal and earthy notes. Some chocolate and dark fruit as well. There's a subtle bourbon finish, but it in no way dominates the rest of the flavors. Similarly, the heat is subtle - surprisingly lacking, and only shows up as the beer warms.

Taste is delicious. Honey, molasses, roasted malts, chocolate, and a hint of smoke. There's alcohol there, but it isn't tasted so much as felt. It's a super smooth beer.

Feel is impressive. It's unbelievably thick, and works well even though there's very little carbination. The alcohol makes itself known here - it prickles the tongue and warms the mouth nicely. Unlike anything I've previously experienced in a beer.

Overall, a super intense and awesome drinking experience. As everyone says, it's hard to believe that this is a 26% beer.

10-06-2011 19:14:11 | More by readbaron
jale

4.6/5  rDev +4.1%

Had on tap for Zwanze day at West Lakeview in Chicago.

A: Pours a thick black used motor oil with little head.

S: Roasted malt, dark chocolate, brewed coffee and some raisins.

T: Sweet upfront with roasted, bitter cocoa and coffee. Dark fruits and maybe some burnt sugar. Amazing that I don't get 26 percent alcohol heat in this. Very well hidden.

M: Thick body. This is dessert beer for sure.

O: I really loved this beer and can't wait to have it again.

09-27-2011 14:05:25 | More by jale
KickInTheChalice

4.6/5  rDev +4.1%

Served on tap in a tasting glass at Zwanze Day.

Appearance: This beer is black as black and thick as molasses. It barely moves as I try to swirl it around the glass. Only a 26% stout can hold like this. A few tiny brown bubbles form as I pour it into the glass, but there is no hope for any retention.

Smell: The aroma is blended together very well. Dark chocolate is full and intense, chocolate and roasted malts provide a firm backbone, and bourbon is there in support. One of the few times I have had a bourbon barrel aged beer where the bourbon had more of a supporting role in the aroma.

Taste: This is thick and complex, and blended very well. Molasses, some raisins, lots of dark Belgian chocolate, full roasted malts border on burnt, a bit of anise, some vanilla, and finally, bourbon. The finish is smooth with some espresso bitterness. There is such a lack of discreet progression in this beer; one flavor just rolls into the next with great ease.

Mouthfeel: Incredibly thick body, with tightly wound flavors and carbonation. Alcohol pricks the tongue but is barely present in a soft burn in the throat. Sticky and syrupy, of course, there was no way this could not be intense on that front.

Overall: I am normally wary of super high ABV beers since they strike me as more of a gimmick than a true beer experience. Somehow, this breaks the mold and is surprisingly drinkable. By that, I mean, it drinks like a beer with half its ABV, which would still be pretty high. But I could easily enjoy sipping a glass of this over a few hours and never tiring of it.

09-20-2011 21:56:00 | More by KickInTheChalice
Brez07

4.35/5  rDev -1.6%

Had this on tap over the weekend. 4oz served in a tasting glass

A: Dark. Pitch black. No other way to describe it really. Despite the size of the glass, still had a decent amount of tan colored head. Some spotted lace at the top of the glass

S: A little sweet, soy saucy. Mixed with dark chocolate and roasted malt. Surprisingly, booze was basically non-existent

T: Dark chocolate, booze soaked brownies, fig/dark fruit. As it warmed, the sweetness started to drift towards soy sauce. Very small amount of booze present

M: Full bodied. Thick and viscous. Light carbonation. Dark fruity roast aftertaste

D: De Struise did really well with this one. I think a good description would be a super imperial Black Albert. Ridiculously easy to drink at 26%. However, my small pour was probably all I would want in one sitting due to the beer becoming increasingly sweeter as it warmed

09-19-2011 13:12:10 | More by Brez07
SpdKilz

3.93/5  rDev -11.1%

Had on tap at Zwanze Day Chicago. Served in a plastic cup. First beer of the day.

Appearance – Poured into my plastic cup with more than I was expecting/wanting knowing I had a full day of drinking amazing beer ahead of me. The viscosity on this beer is exactly how the name sounds. Held up to direct sunlight I was cast in a shadow. Slight carbonation has lingering bubbles up top hanging on to the sides of the cup.

Smell – Booze, heavy roasted malts, chocolate, dark fruits, and lots of molasses. This is going to be one sweet alcoholic beer.

Taste – Loads of chocolate and roast. The dark fruits (fig and plum) kept trying to fight their way to the front but the sweetness of molasses and brown sugar won out. Bourbon and vanilla round out the flavors.

Mouthfeel – I will say, this has to be one of the thickest beers I have experienced. To put it into perspective, I had to wash my cup out two times to get the remnants of this beer out. It just would not leave the sides of the cup. Lower carbonation but still decent enough for this high abv of a beer.

Overall – This is a beer I am glad I was able to try and not have to purchase on my own. To be blunt, I was not overly impressed by it. That said, I had to keep reminding myself of the alcohol content and how it really did not taste like I was drinking a 26% stout. I understand the pushing of boundaries and new limits, however, this beer is more of a novelty for me. I really did not enjoy it and I have no inclination to seek it out in the future. A monster of a beer.

09-19-2011 02:01:48 | More by SpdKilz
bishopdc0

Maine

First I must say I got to taste this on Zwanze day at Novare Res. I was there early with my wife and was told by a friend to ask about the imperial stout. I asked the manager/bartender about it he said if you like imp. stout your gonna want to try this. Before he finished I ordered and a few minute later he presented us the beer and only told me after i had tasted it that it was Damnation V.

This beer is beautiful black one of the darkest I've come across. The head is thick dark brown color and is very creamy

The aroma is all over the place, in a good way, roasted malts, chocolate, coffee with dashes of raisin and anise.

First wow, I must say the taste is excellent. I told my wife if we didn't get to try Zwanze I would leave happy. The taste is creamy, big roasted flavor, but not burnt, perfect. The other flavors of sweet chocolate and anise round in with a hint of smoke round out this beer.

WOW at 26% hard to tell this is one of the if not the best beer I've ever had had

09-19-2011 00:02:00 | More by bishopdc0
hooliganlife

Missouri

4.3/5  rDev -2.7%

Never thought i would try this on tap

Dark deep brownish black. If cola. Could be motor oil, this would be it. Light creamy chocolate head.

Very sweat and rich. Tons of chocolate and molasses with hints of toffee. Booze was hidden quite well, only a trace of heat.

Similar to the smell. Very sweet and rich. Dark chocolate milk with dark fruit. Various hints of molasses and toffee.

Mild carbonation. Insanely thick, thickest i have had. Tingle across the tongue from the alcohol.

This was good, better than i had expected.

09-18-2011 02:14:46 | More by hooliganlife
ADTaber

South Carolina

4.95/5  rDev +12%

On draft at the Holy Grale, served in a snifter

A: opaque dark brown, almost black in color, looks thick like motor oil, thin tan head that dissolves to a thin layer and leaves a small amount of lacing

S: dark chocolate and roasted espresso and malt, fusel alcohol, maybe a hint of dark fruit

T: dark chocolate, roasted malt, espresso coffee, some dark fruit, alcohol is definitely detectable but not near as pronounced as I expected and actually fairly well hidden for the ABV, somewhat bitter coffee aftertaste

MF: full bodied, low carbonation, very thick and smooth

O: very nice flavors, the alcohol is fairly well hidden for the ABV but will sneak up on you, this is definitely a sipper

05-31-2011 22:25:19 | More by ADTaber
crosamich

4.97/5  rDev +12.4%

On-tap at the Struise Old School. Simply put, this is the best beer I have had to date. Do I refer to how this beast doesn't seem like the high abv it is or as a fantastic stout? It doesn't drink like a 26% beer. It is carbonated with a lasting head. The booz doesn't beat you over the head. The bourbon is in there but not overpowering. Everything just comes together nicely. Glad I bought these; I can't imagine ever parting with my remaining bottles.

05-17-2011 14:39:31 | More by crosamich
auroracrisis

Kentucky

4.53/5  rDev +2.5%

Had this on tap at Holy Grale in Louisville, 5oz pour into a miniature snifter.

Surprisingly this pours with a full, chocolate mousse colored head that dissipates into a tinier head with plenty of bubbles. The body is opaque black, I am talking pitch black. Like black paint. I am very impressed with the appearance of this beer. It being 26% while retaining a head blows my mind.

The smell is rich coffee and toasty malts that give way into vanilla and confection sugar with a bit of earthiness as well. Some dark fruits like plum, figs, raisins, etc. can be detected but only once the beverage warms. Booze is also present of course but it is not offensive. Once everything is added up it kind of smells like a warm dark chocolate s'more.

Easily the most well masked, extremely high alcohol beer I've had. The booze is present but it really just drinks like a normal, fresh bourbon aged imperial stout. The flavor is much like a roasted marshmallow liqueur mixed in with a strong, fresh cup of coffee. A tiny bit of earthiness from the hops, but the predominate flavors here are sweet, roasty coffee and marshmallow. It's as if someone toasted a marshmallow and then covered it in 80% cocoa dark chocolate then poured a teaspoon of bourbon on it. Yummy and outstanding tasting for the ABV.

Mouthfeel is low carbonation and very heavy. Almost syrupy. Too much of this would make you sick just from the consistency and sweetness of the brew. But it is what it is. I don't see how else a beer like this could be made without it having a syrup like quality to it.

Overall, a fantastic beer from de Struise. From what I understand, it took Urbain and the guys 3 years to develop this beer to where they wanted it to be before they unleashed it. I am immensely impressed with it, to be honest. The alcohol is so well hidden you would think the brew would be 15% or 16% at the most. And the fact that it is so high in alcohol yet still maintains the qualities of an everyday beer (carbonation, a head, not so heavy alcohol flavor), when so many other high ABV beers have an offensive booze character to it with absolutely no carbonation and head, is probably the most impressive thing about this beer. Plus it actually tastes good! Just outstanding, it's a damn shame it's so rare because any stout lover would be all over this beer. A must try if you can find it.

05-16-2011 20:06:12 | More by auroracrisis
ktrillionaire

4.1/5  rDev -7.2%

First off, I'd like to propose that Struise re-name this brew after its most ardent consumer, Alex. Anyone that witnessed him downing a pint of this stuff should know why.

On-tap at WLV tasting event

A - It pours a brown-black, with some wispy bubbles, and really looks like a fairly normal RIS, which it isn't.

S - The nose is quite a bit like regular Double Stout; it offers toffee, plenty of roast, sweet oat notes, anise, and cocoa; surprisingly, shockingly even, the alcohol is hard to discern.

T - The taste is right in line with the nose, although the sweetness is much more apparent that it was in the aroma. Booze is still masterfully hidden. There are notes of cocoa, and roast grain that dominate the flavor, with slight herbal,earthy and fruity undertones accompanying. Really amazing taste given the 26% ABV, and good taste regardless of ABV considerations.

M - The feel is viscous and softly carbonated; better than I expected.

O - Top 5 26% Stouts, no doubt.

05-13-2011 15:59:39 | More by ktrillionaire
HopHead84

3.83/5  rDev -13.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

5/8/2011

Big thanks to Alex (Masterski) for the growler. I'd been wanting to try this for a long time. Poured into a snifter.

A: Viscous and dark black with a frothy tan head. There's a reddish tinge near the edges when held to light. A swirl of the glass leave a thick booze coating on the sides.

S: The aroma shows big fudge and dark chocolate notes with accompanying brown sugar. Bourbon is light, and there's some oak. It's pretty damn mellow for a 26% ABV beer. I'm surprised. Alcohol is faint. Malt is heavily roasted and there's a little coffee in there, as well as some earth. Restrained smoke notes waft from the glass to coalesce with alcohol vapors.

T: Strong roasted malt profile, with light coffee notes, dark chocolate, and pronounced alcohol. A little prune and plum, but those notes are subjugated by the roast, dark chocolate, and alcohol. This is very powerful stuff. Light smoke notes with some charred oak and coffee. Alcohol is definitely noticeable, but it seems more like 16% than 26%. There's a good deal of chocolate brown sugar sweetness midpalate, but the beer is dry initially and in the finish.

M: Full in body, obviously, with moderate carbonation. The mouthfeel is silky, sticky, chewy, and dry, with substantial alcohol warming.

Overall: A real beast of a beer. High quality stuff, but 4-5 ounces was plenty for me.

Serving type: growler

05-09-2011 04:00:39 | More by HopHead84
Sean9689

3.7/5  rDev -16.3%

I've had this from the bottle @ DLD (thank to Eric aka Turd) and on-tap last night at the West Lakeview Liquors Meet & Greet Event w/ Urbain. Obviously, Urbain brought the keg...

A - Pours black, slight tan-colored head, some bubbles here and there. There's a huge motor oil quality to this beer, as it leaves a brownish/gold hue that coats the entire glass. Sticky, viscous, black...damn(ation)!

S - Smells like booze, lots of char, roast, some chocolate. There's not much sweetness (some chocolate, some dark fruits), as it's covered up by the huge booze and char. It smells like what it is, a huge monster of a beer.

T - Slight dark chocolate, dark fruits, lots of char, lots of booze. There's a harsh/char hot boozy note on the finish that makes me grab my water after every sip. A little off-putting, but I contribute this to the huge amount of alcohol in this beer.

M - Full, rich and viscous, light carbonation, creamy finish.

O - I enjoyed sipping on this one on two occasions, but one or two 4oz pours is just enough for me. I'm not dying to try this again in the near future, but would love to see how this ages down the line. I'm sure the booze will smooth out and make it more enjoyable. It's good but a little too much for me at the moment.

05-03-2011 13:37:53 | More by Sean9689
TurdFurgison

4.45/5  rDev +0.7%

I had this pour at the brewery, in a smallish goblet (maybe 6oz). The beer is dark black (good name) and opaque, with a thick and in places spidery tan foam, dirty looking and impressive. It was served somewhat cold, and based on Urbain's suggestion I let it warm up before finishing it.

The aroma is nice, dark roast and cocoa, massive smelling but without alcohol on the nose. As it warmed I got more dark fruits, this really seems a beast based on smell. Taste too, this has similarities to Black Albert but is thicker and more concentrated. The malts are roasted to the point of light char, not bad against the other big flavors. Again nothing near 26% was detectable in the taste.

The body seems just a little thicker as it warms, or it could be suggestive, anyway it matched the big flavors in a nice way. Still enough carbonation to give a prickly feel with each drink. Excellent, 750mL will be too much for one person though. I think a little goes a long way.

04-09-2011 16:36:36 | More by TurdFurgison
PapaEugene

Netherlands

Had this at the borefts beer festival. Ron brought me a glass and I passed after he explained to me what it was... why... simply becuase most freeze/thaw concentrated beers are alcoholic and this puts me off. He guaranteed that this was not the case with this beer.

Wow, this dark, thick brew amazed me. Black fruits up front, hint of cherries, roasted malts and some wooden tones and I almost could not believen that this beer was 26%!!??

Great job Struise. Like it!

04-06-2011 14:17:22 | More by PapaEugene