Learn more about beer and save over 53% with a 3-year subscription.

Pannepot Wild - De Struise Brouwers

Pannepot WildPannepot Wild

De Struise Brouwers visit their website

Quadrupel (Quad) |  10.00% ABV

Beer added by: MasterSki on 03-14-2010

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50  | next → last
4.55/5  rDev +9.9%

On tap at Lions Pride poured into a wine glass.

Pours a dark brown - just like the other versions, it has a small brown head and some tiny lacing but it's subtle. Nose is fairly mild, there is some funk but don't think Cantillon or 3F.

Taste is perfection, I think I've had all the versions of Pannepot but this is clearly the top version, the alcohol is mellowed out bythe funk, it isn't too sweet but it's still complex and nutty.

At $14 a glass its not something I'd have often but it is fantastic!

4.57/5  rDev +10.4%

10oz served in a chalice at the Lion's Pride, served at room temperature. Not sure how long it'll be there so get to it if you haven't! (Bit pricey though).

Pours a deep deep amber color with a huge fluffy looking head, leaves some patchy lacing along the glass, the head although very puffy settles down into a very light cap.

Smell has a huge aroma of dark fruit and sweetness, huge amounts of cherry and raisins, it's not overly cloying on the nose either since I could smell this beer all night long.

Taste has a medium to low carbonation (leaning towards the lower end), the dark fruit presence really takes the cake over any of the other spices, the cherry and raisin taste is quite divine, it is rather sweet but it isn't overly sticky or syrupy, the sweetness does a good job of masking the strength and any astringency it might have, definitely has a bit of a funk to it but it's more of an after thought so don't expect any huge sourness out of it.

Quite an interesting take on the quad, one of the better dark fruit presences I've had and the light funkness really makes it stand out. Personally, I prefer this version of Pannepot over any of the other versions I've tried.

4.6/5  rDev +11.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Up for review is a 750ml bottle of Pannepot Wild. Poured into a snifter at cellar temp. Not a gusher. Great color as usual, nice head. Bretty funk over Pannepot. Was expecting this to be more sour. Medium body, well carbonated. Will be interesting to se how this ages.

4.71/5  rDev +13.8%

Had this on tap last night while visiting Ebenezer's for the first time. 10z pour into a tulip glass

A: Thin, brown pour with no head or lacing. Looks like flat Coke. The only place where this beer doesn't shine

S: Dark fruit, cherry, some funk and smokiness. Seemed like a lot of aromas, I just couldn't quite pick them all out

T: Similar to the nose, but there seemed to be a grape flavor as well. Might have been my mind playing tricks on me. Started with a roasted malt flavor, then to the fruit, followed by some smoke/cooking chocolate

M: Creamy, yet also bubbly. Medium, bordering on full bodied

D: I can best describe this as a cross between a dry stout, a belgian strong dark and a toned down lambic. This was a great after dinner beer which I sipped slowly. Alcohol is basically non-present. Superb beer

4.72/5  rDev +14%

Big bottle of 08...small head and cola brown color. Rich aroma of brett, coca-cola, herbal spices, and strangeness. I really like this but I like unique brews. Not easy to detect 2 years of aging in a barrel, but no worries. Nice sourness, funkiness, some noticeable alcohol but very interesting and fun!

4.8/5  rDev +15.9%

Notes of dark fruit, plums, raisins, are immediately noticeable as is the rich oak notes that are coming at me. Nothing sours here at all about this one. Complex sugary notes dancing around with a touch of a grape skin like tartness hidden way in the back. Interesting mix of flavors here for sure. The balance in flavor here is sublime and I have to admit I am utterly floored. Oak flavor all over this, just wonderful woody notes that are soaked with a rich spiciness that I can only equate the yeast flavor in a perfect quad. Again with the grapes and plum notes offering just that light touch of fruit flavor before melding back into a super dry finish. Small touch of tartness again as it fades away.

4.8/5  rDev +15.9%

Reviewed from my notes. I enjoyed a chalice of this rare beverage on tap at Ebenezer's Pub, the finest beer bar on Earth. The beer looks very much like its non-wild cousin. It is dark black in color with a big tan foam head. The receding head leaves behind a great pattern of lacework. There is visible carbonation clinging to the sides of my glass as well as rising from the bottom. I can can begin to tell this is a very different beer from the Old Fisherman's Ale once I begin to smell it. The complex spices I am familiar with are present. But I can also detect a sweet aroma, with notes of cherry and vanilla. All of this is rounded out with a healthy does of funk. When I sip, the flavor starts out bold, being both malty and creamy. There is a champagne-like crispness in the finish. I am hit with the sour funk right as I swallow. It is a very interesting flavor, as the wintery spices are still present throughout the beer. The wild yeast works well and adds a lot to this beer. I didn't think you could improve upon Pannepot, and thought this may not actually be a better beer, it is most certainly its equal. The body is of medium intensity and very creamy--much creamier than I remember the non-wild version of this beer being. There is a lot of carbonation that I can feel playing on my tongue. There isn't much coating, but what is present is bitter and sweet, but not sticky. It is most impressive for a quad. Like all of the other De Struise beers I've tried, this is oh so drinkable. the alcohol and funk never get too strong. I could drink this all day. If you can, get yourself to Lovell, Maine and order a glass.

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50  | next → last