Pannepot Wild - De Struise Brouwers

Quadrupel (Quad) |  10.00% ABV

Beer added by: MasterSki on 03-14-2010

first ← prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | nextlast
4.36/5  rDev +5.3%

On-tap at Ebenezer's Pub and Lion's Pride. Served in tulip, over and over. Had this one a lot...like maybe 7 times between the two spots.

A - Pours black brown, large frothy tan head, sticky lacing, large cap. This one was very frothy, sticky, and dark. Purty.

S - Nice bretty funk, brown sugar, dark fruit, burnt sugars. The brett adds another dimension onto an already stellar Quad. Really enjoyed the slight funk on this one mixed with the sugars and dark fruits.

T - More dark fruit forward then the nose, burnt sugars, molasses, chocolate, oak, brett funk, raisins. The brett is still there, but takes a back seat to the base beer on the palate, which is totally cool with me.

M - Body is medium, good carbonation, creamy finish.

O - I really really (really) enjoyed this one....at $14 a pop, it was expensive, but I was on vacation and I didn't give a shit. Chris even gave me a free one before we headed out. Glad the fiance drove back! Simply outstanding on-tap, you must try it at either establishment!

Edit: I had this from 3 different kegs and didn't experience any sour or tart notes, as others have noted. (1,125 characters)

4.36/5  rDev +5.3%

Brown edged black without any retention or lace. Looks like flat root beer.

Dark and roasty with caramel and chocolate covered cherry. Makes me think of all sorts of nightime sexy words like alluring, seductive and indulgent.

Tastes as indulgent as it smells. I can pick out fig, caramel, and dark bread crust. The Brett is very light handed, adding only a little green grape peel hiccup in the middle. Better and better as it warms.

The Brett doesn't really do too much and I think I like plain ol' Pannepot better. (521 characters)

3.03/5  rDev -26.8%

Huge thanks to Jerz for hosting an awesome tasting, and for so many generous beer connoisseurs who made the event possible.

I guess first, let me say that I don't get the idea of souring a quad. All that complex effort to get a bunch of ingredients to meld into a quad-whole, and then you wild it? Hmmm.... okay, let's see how it is.

Oddly dark pour. Light tan crust with nor real bubbling.

Smells like fetid, slightly gone-bad yeast and muted earth funk. Some breaded malt. Wish there was more breaded malt to the aroma and less swampy funk.

Taste is almost like a, I hate to say it, slightly infected quad. It's like, it didn't go completely sour, but it's also most definitely not quad-like anymore. Some weird sherried dirt with some earth funk, a bit of quad yeast and bread with sweet dappled brown sugar, but it just doesn't come together. On the aftertaste, dark fruit. Dark fruit that's struggling to live. (920 characters)

3.92/5  rDev -5.3%

On tap at Ebenezer's Pub in September.

I was excited to get a chance to try this rarity on draft. I had heard rumors that this batch was "undrinkable" when first kegged but was mellowing out week by week and evolving into something special. My understanding is this is regular Pannepot with brett yeast - seems simple enough.

Nose was Pannepot-esque, but leaning toward cola. Lots of carbonation with the intial pour, but it settled out before long. I thought the taste was good, but I have to say regular Pannepot is more my thing. A lot of the unique dark fruit, dark chocolate notes seemed masked by the brett. With the brett constantly changing this beer, I may have missed the "high point" of this batch that others raved about during the summer, but I'm glad I got to try this. I can still say I have never met a Struise beer I didn't like. (848 characters)

3.79/5  rDev -8.5%

On tap at Ebenezer's.

Pours a very cloudy, muddy brown color with a small tan head that lasts.

Aroma is very vinegary. Besides that, all the notes you get in Pannepot are present: dark fruits, raisin and fig especially, caramel, toffee, molasses, and brown sugar.

Flavor is both sweet and slightly tart. Tastes a bit like a good fruitcake mixed with balsamic vinegar. The base beer also adds sweet caramel and toffee notes, oak, and spiciness.

Thick and syrupy on the palate; full-bodied with low carbonation.

Very interesting beer overall. I'm glad to have tried this one. (578 characters)

4.3/5  rDev +3.9%

Half pour, served in a wine glass.

Dark brown hazy with a nice tan head that dispersed slowly and left a little lacing.

Dried cherry, unsweetened chocolate, acai, some funkiness, spice and light alcohol.

Dried fruit and chocolate in the front, molasses in the middle, tart and funky with slick finish.

Not as good as the as the Reserva but it was pretty good. (363 characters)

4.6/5  rDev +11.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Up for review is a 750ml bottle of Pannepot Wild. Poured into a snifter at cellar temp. Not a gusher. Great color as usual, nice head. Bretty funk over Pannepot. Was expecting this to be more sour. Medium body, well carbonated. Will be interesting to se how this ages. (268 characters)

4.57/5  rDev +10.4%

10oz served in a chalice at the Lion's Pride, served at room temperature. Not sure how long it'll be there so get to it if you haven't! (Bit pricey though).

Pours a deep deep amber color with a huge fluffy looking head, leaves some patchy lacing along the glass, the head although very puffy settles down into a very light cap.

Smell has a huge aroma of dark fruit and sweetness, huge amounts of cherry and raisins, it's not overly cloying on the nose either since I could smell this beer all night long.

Taste has a medium to low carbonation (leaning towards the lower end), the dark fruit presence really takes the cake over any of the other spices, the cherry and raisin taste is quite divine, it is rather sweet but it isn't overly sticky or syrupy, the sweetness does a good job of masking the strength and any astringency it might have, definitely has a bit of a funk to it but it's more of an after thought so don't expect any huge sourness out of it.

Quite an interesting take on the quad, one of the better dark fruit presences I've had and the light funkness really makes it stand out. Personally, I prefer this version of Pannepot over any of the other versions I've tried. (1,188 characters)

4.15/5  rDev +0.2%

First beer of the day at Ebenezer's last weekend. Had a small taste of this at a previous Ebenezer's venture but got a proper pour this time and enjoyed it much more.

Poured into an Ebenezer's glass looking much like the other Pannepi. Dark brown body with a beige head that retains quite well, eventually reducing down a partial cap near the end. A bit of lace left.

Bretty funkiness is prominent in the scent, but the intense chocolate/yeast/dark fruit of the base beer shine through and meld well.

Like the scent, a good balance and melding of flavors. Has all the yeast, dark cherries, red wine notes, chocolate and leather of Pannepot, with a good dose of brett, light fruity notes and oak brought on by the Wild.

Very smooth mouthfeel, exceptionally drinkable and light for 10%.

Quite a complex beast, easy drinking, could've easily drank 2 glasses of this. 2006 Pannepot still regins supreme in my eyes but this was one of the better variations I've had. (966 characters)

4.37/5  rDev +5.6%

I had this beer at the CBC festival in Kopenhagen in may this year. The Struise brewers were there with 30 beers on tap. What a success they had. Poured in the CBC snifter.

The Pannepot wild was on my want list for quit a time. Very tasty quad with a bit of sourness because of the wild yeasts. Nice dark fluid and a fairly decent head. (337 characters)

4.55/5  rDev +9.9%

On tap at Lions Pride poured into a wine glass.

Pours a dark brown - just like the other versions, it has a small brown head and some tiny lacing but it's subtle. Nose is fairly mild, there is some funk but don't think Cantillon or 3F.

Taste is perfection, I think I've had all the versions of Pannepot but this is clearly the top version, the alcohol is mellowed out bythe funk, it isn't too sweet but it's still complex and nutty.

At $14 a glass its not something I'd have often but it is fantastic! (507 characters)

4.28/5  rDev +3.4%

On tap at Ebenezer's Pub

A - dark murky brown with a khaki frothy head. Effervescence from the bottlm replenishes the head for a while. Nice lacing as I drank.

S - tons of dark fruits and caramel along with some spice that reminded me of nutmeg. There was a bit of Brett funk, but nowhere near what I expected. I had expected the Brett to change the beer, but really all it did was add a slight complexity to a stellar brew.

T - very sweet burnt sugar followed by a great nutty bitter finish.

M - Full bodied and slightly sharp carbonation, but it still worked. With as sweet as the beer is, it seemed to leave a slightly dry tannic finish on my tongue. No booze at all.

O - confirms that De Struise is the best quad maker in the world. Just an awesome variation on an already impressive beer. Definitely would love to try again (but still prefer the regular). (866 characters)

4.8/5  rDev +15.9%

Reviewed from my notes. I enjoyed a chalice of this rare beverage on tap at Ebenezer's Pub, the finest beer bar on Earth. The beer looks very much like its non-wild cousin. It is dark black in color with a big tan foam head. The receding head leaves behind a great pattern of lacework. There is visible carbonation clinging to the sides of my glass as well as rising from the bottom. I can can begin to tell this is a very different beer from the Old Fisherman's Ale once I begin to smell it. The complex spices I am familiar with are present. But I can also detect a sweet aroma, with notes of cherry and vanilla. All of this is rounded out with a healthy does of funk. When I sip, the flavor starts out bold, being both malty and creamy. There is a champagne-like crispness in the finish. I am hit with the sour funk right as I swallow. It is a very interesting flavor, as the wintery spices are still present throughout the beer. The wild yeast works well and adds a lot to this beer. I didn't think you could improve upon Pannepot, and thought this may not actually be a better beer, it is most certainly its equal. The body is of medium intensity and very creamy--much creamier than I remember the non-wild version of this beer being. There is a lot of carbonation that I can feel playing on my tongue. There isn't much coating, but what is present is bitter and sweet, but not sticky. It is most impressive for a quad. Like all of the other De Struise beers I've tried, this is oh so drinkable. the alcohol and funk never get too strong. I could drink this all day. If you can, get yourself to Lovell, Maine and order a glass. (1,632 characters)

3.04/5  rDev -26.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

750 poured into a Cantillon shaker glass
Thanks to Bluebetty for getting this rarity

A-- poured a dark, muddled brown color. Half a finger light brown head that went to a solid looking collar. Nothing too out of this world.

S-- Love the nose. Figs, raisins, rum port, sherry, chocolate, wood and touches of sourness and funk. Spent a solid 5 minutes smelling this as just the combo of sour and quad was a bit much to take at the time.

T-- Strange as heck taste. Like soured fennel somebody else remarked. just did not mesh with the nose. Like muddled cask wine left to sour and become medicine. Nose was gone in the taste.

M-- low carbonation and medium feel. Slight bits of oak and sourness in the finish but the good stuff was pretty much gone. More of a herbal medicinal feel in the mouth.

O-- Loved the nose and hated the rest. 2 oz was more than enough. Thrilled to try and experience but that was a strange beer. (927 characters)

3.8/5  rDev -8.2%

Bought this bottle a long time ago in the struise webshop.
Look: pours hazy dark brown color with a light brown head.
Smell: Light sourness, wine and funk, dark fruits (Plums, raisins), candy sugar, cloves and alcohol. A bit lighter in smell than the regular
Taste: Red grapes, light funk, light vinegar, dark fruits, molasses, but also spicy (pepper, clove), vanilla and a bit alcohol hop bitterness in the aftertaste.
Mouthfeel: Medium-low carbonation and medium body
Overall: Nice brew, but prefer the non infected version (526 characters)

3.97/5  rDev -4.1%

Pours a dark mahogany color with ruby red highlights and just a tiny showing of thin white head.

Aroma is similar to reserva, fruity sweetness suggesting figs and raisins mixed in with some hints of spice. Wild aspect adds a bit of a funky amonia character but without the tyipcal potency of sours.

Taste is rather sweet and fruity and does have a strong a phenolic spice character as reserva had. Not much of a woody character but a definite sour flavor sets this apart from the other Pannepots. Still though, I'm not sure the funk adds much to what is an already great tasting quad.

Mouthfeel is crisp and a bit try but not quite as puckering as I would have expected. Overall, an interseting twist on the quad but I still prefer Reserva. (743 characters)

3.88/5  rDev -6.3%

A - Cola colored, off white head with  small bubbles

S - candied sugar, dark fruits, slightly bready.

T - A bit like the nose. Bready, dark fruits, sweet.  Smallest amount of tart/ sour notes in finish.

M - Medium, smooth.

O - Not my favorite of the pannepot variations but very good.    (301 characters)

4.32/5  rDev +4.3%

I was recently lucky enough to try three different Pannepot incarnations in as many days - the Pannepeut (Danish), Reserva (barrel aged), and this, the Wild. Came across this one on draught at The Lion's Pride in Brunswick, Maine.

Served to me in smallish goblet, full and luscious head atop a rusty dark brown ale. Clearly this one has been dosed with a little something wild. I believe the bartender mentioned that the 2007 batch was a bit off at brewing, and the brewers decided to push it in that direction by adding wild yeast and aging in oak. I'm glad they did, this is a unique twist on a classic. Aromas traditional to a quad and familiarly Pannepot-ish, rich and malty, sweet, fruitcake, spicy, raisins, and laced with a mild funk. Crazy. Flavor is indeed affected a bit by the "wild", but not as much as I thought from the smell. Still very assertive and lush - rich, spicy deep quad flavors, smooth and bready, with a slight pang of earthy funk, not sour. Umami. Very even yet lively on the palate, and fun and interesting to drink. Definitely a great twist on one of my all-time favorites. (1,104 characters)

4.12/5  rDev -0.5%

Wow, this bottle is lively. Gushed all over the place, but luckily some of it wound up in my glass. Thanks for sharing Dave!

Pours a dark, murky, brown-red with a thin ring of light tan foam. Leaves some nice lacing behind.

Sweet cherry and Belgian spice on the nose. Sweet acidity and some barnyard funk. Earthy and musty with a hint of caramel. Nice complexity.

Blegian spice and sweet cherries on the tongue. Much like the nose. Earthy oak. Cherry is the dominant fruit followed by red grapes. More earthy and funky than sour. Nice brett presence. Interesting take on the regular Pannepot. I like it.

Mouthfeel is earthy and dry with a touch of sweetness. Almost saison-like. Slightly tannic. Good carbonation.

Overall, I like this beer quite a bit. A nice addition to the Pannepot series. Tastes more like a fruity brett saison than anything else. I found my glass to be enjoyable, but due to the rarity of this beer I don't think I'll be seeking out another. Worth trying if you have easy access. (1,006 characters)

4.35/5  rDev +5.1%

This is still on Tap at Lion's Pride in Brunswick probably not much longer I was told once it is gone there is no more.

A - Nice dark some carbination really nice.

S - dark raisons belgian sugars some black liquorice.

T - Nice you can taste the wild mixed with the beer makes it nice.

M - smooth again a feel of the liquorice but not bad.

D - Would have again a hefty price point makes this one a bit of a smaller score. (426 characters)

4.42/5  rDev +6.8%

I'm reviewing the tap version because I thought it was better than the bottle.

This beer obviously looks like regular Pannepot. Rich dark color and a faint burgundy hue when put up to the light.

It has a very clean bretty funk too it. Very inviting for a wild beer.

Taste is perfectly executed. Brett is paired with the dark fruit and sweetness from Pannepot. There's a welcoming tartness as well. Something I didn't pick up so much from the bottled version. This beer is even better on tap. (496 characters)

4.71/5  rDev +13.8%

Had this on tap last night while visiting Ebenezer's for the first time. 10z pour into a tulip glass

A: Thin, brown pour with no head or lacing. Looks like flat Coke. The only place where this beer doesn't shine

S: Dark fruit, cherry, some funk and smokiness. Seemed like a lot of aromas, I just couldn't quite pick them all out

T: Similar to the nose, but there seemed to be a grape flavor as well. Might have been my mind playing tricks on me. Started with a roasted malt flavor, then to the fruit, followed by some smoke/cooking chocolate

M: Creamy, yet also bubbly. Medium, bordering on full bodied

D: I can best describe this as a cross between a dry stout, a belgian strong dark and a toned down lambic. This was a great after dinner beer which I sipped slowly. Alcohol is basically non-present. Superb beer (818 characters)

4.2/5  rDev +1.4%

237th Review
On-tap at the Copenhagen Beer Celebration 2012
Poured in a CBC taster
Vintage: 2007

Enjoyed on 11 May 2012

A: Medium brown. Single (tan) fingernail head.

S: Like the other Pannepots, this smells of dark dried fruit, spice, and hint of funk. Not as bold as the others in smell, but inviting nonetheless.

T: Mostly dark fruit with touch of vanilla, oak, and spice. Mild tartness here, but not quite what I was expecting (not in a bad way though). Hint of sweetness towards the end. Decently complex, all things considered.

M: Medium/full bodied with appropriate carbonation.

O: A fun twist on an old classic. Thanks for bringing this treat to Copenhagen in your 30-tap unit, Urbain! (700 characters)

4.32/5  rDev +4.3%

Shared a bottle with some fellow BAs. This was one nice treat!

A - Deep mahogany/brown body. Thick foamy tan head.

S - Dark fruits, brown sugar, spice cookie, with a noticeable Brett/sour funk.

T - Very smooth and complex sour Belgian Quad. All the right flavors are there. Very malty, sweet, funky and sour.

M - Creamy, bubbly on the tongue. Sour finish.

D - Excellent beer. Wish we had more than one bottle. I would love to try this on tap. (447 characters)

3.94/5  rDev -4.8%

This one I was very excited for and am greatful to have gotten the chance to try it. Pours a muddy, murky brown with a thin tan head that lasted throughout the beer. It smelled of Bretty funk and musty grapes, dark fruit, toffee, and a bit of booze. The taste was quite similar a bit more in the way of the dark fruit and brown sugar realm and less so of the funky musty flavors. A bit of acidity, but just a touch. Also there was a hint of a Metalic taste some warming alcohol at the end. There was a nice medium bodied feel to it and slightyl less carbonation than I was expecting but thought that was a good thing. In the end I thought of it like some sort of a Pannepot/Orval hybrid. I could certainly drink a few more if I ever got the chance. (748 characters)

first ← prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | nextlast