Pannepot Wild - De Struise Brouwers

Pannepot WildPannepot Wild

De Struise Brouwers visit their website

Quadrupel (Quad) |  10.00% ABV

(Beer added by: MasterSki on 03-14-2010)

4.5/5  rDev +9%

3.88/5  rDev -6.1%

Dark chestnut with frothy cap of brown head. Scent is deep and complex with notes of fig, prune, raisin, fruit and port wine, solid notes of dry wood with a sourness is more akin to vatted cask aging than a full on brett onslaught. Taste begins with the big bold notes of dark fruit meshed with a hint of mulled wine, oak precedes a light sour funk that masks a little of the developing quad notes. Medium bodied, light carbonation. Overall, the original is cut an excellent beer that the light bits of brett really don't help too much, it actually masks the complexity.

3.58/5  rDev -13.3%

WW5 bottle from Avalon68. Cheers!

A - Well, right out of the gate this thing just exploded, which was pretty surprising. Rusty brown colored beer with a foamy beige head from the explosion.

S - I'm not totally thrille with this. I've love the regular version of this beer, as something that is a very nice quad. This loses a bit of its quad nature to some of the funk an sourness. It smells good, but I prefer the regular.

T - Sweeter, with some grapes and vinous influence on a quad. There are some dark fruits, oak. Can pick up a little bit of roast on this one even.

M - Full bodied with some pretty active carbonation. Also, it exploded.

O - An interesting beer, I liked it, but I thought it actually takes away from the good quad nature that Pannepot usually has. Glad to have tried it.

4.33/5  rDev +4.8%

Half pour, served in a wine glass.

Dark brown hazy with a nice tan head that dispersed slowly and left a little lacing.

Dried cherry, unsweetened chocolate, acai, some funkiness, spice and light alcohol.

Dried fruit and chocolate in the front, molasses in the middle, tart and funky with slick finish.

Not as good as the as the Reserva but it was pretty good.

4.33/5  rDev +4.8%

On tap at Ebenezer's into a tulip.

A: Opaque dark brown body under a finger of fine light-brown foam. Nice.

S: Spicy, chocolatey, and grassy. Dark fruits, a bit of barnyard, and some light tartness. Very nice, hugely complex.

T: A wild explosion of flavors: brown sugar, prunes, grass, flowers, clove, pepper, grapes, Brett, and a rich maple sweetness on the lightly boozy finish. Intoxicating in every sense of the word.

M: Frothy, thick, and sticky. In a word, big.

O: I was a bit underwhelmed by this one at first (especially given its $14 price tag), but as it warmed the aroma and flavor both opened up magnificently. I'd really like to try it side-by-side with regular Pannepot someday to see exactly how big of a difference the Brett makes; I'm not entirely sure that the influx of grassiness and faint tartness is really an improvement over the spectacular base, but it was still one hell of a beer.

Cheers!

4.38/5  rDev +6.1%

Brown edged black without any retention or lace. Looks like flat root beer.

Dark and roasty with caramel and chocolate covered cherry. Makes me think of all sorts of nightime sexy words like alluring, seductive and indulgent.

Tastes as indulgent as it smells. I can pick out fig, caramel, and dark bread crust. The Brett is very light handed, adding only a little green grape peel hiccup in the middle. Better and better as it warms.

The Brett doesn't really do too much and I think I like plain ol' Pannepot better.

3.9/5  rDev -5.6%

A - Cola colored, off white head with  small bubbles

S - candied sugar, dark fruits, slightly bready.

T - A bit like the nose. Bready, dark fruits, sweet.  Smallest amount of tart/ sour notes in finish.

M - Medium, smooth.

O - Not my favorite of the pannepot variations but very good.

4.83/5  rDev +16.9%

Notes of dark fruit, plums, raisins, are immediately noticeable as is the rich oak notes that are coming at me. Nothing sours here at all about this one. Complex sugary notes dancing around with a touch of a grape skin like tartness hidden way in the back. Interesting mix of flavors here for sure. The balance in flavor here is sublime and I have to admit I am utterly floored. Oak flavor all over this, just wonderful woody notes that are soaked with a rich spiciness that I can only equate the yeast flavor in a perfect quad. Again with the grapes and plum notes offering just that light touch of fruit flavor before melding back into a super dry finish. Small touch of tartness again as it fades away.

4.6/5  rDev +11.4%

On tap at Lions Pride poured into a wine glass.

Pours a dark brown - just like the other versions, it has a small brown head and some tiny lacing but it's subtle. Nose is fairly mild, there is some funk but don't think Cantillon or 3F.

Taste is perfection, I think I've had all the versions of Pannepot but this is clearly the top version, the alcohol is mellowed out bythe funk, it isn't too sweet but it's still complex and nutty.

At $14 a glass its not something I'd have often but it is fantastic!

3.78/5  rDev -8.5%

Bought this bottle a long time ago in the struise webshop.
Look: pours hazy dark brown color with a light brown head.
Smell: Light sourness, wine and funk, dark fruits (Plums, raisins), candy sugar, cloves and alcohol. A bit lighter in smell than the regular
Taste: Red grapes, light funk, light vinegar, dark fruits, molasses, but also spicy (pepper, clove), vanilla and a bit alcohol hop bitterness in the aftertaste.
Mouthfeel: Medium-low carbonation and medium body
Overall: Nice brew, but prefer the non infected version

4.25/5  rDev +2.9%

On tap at Ebenezer's Pub

A - dark murky brown with a khaki frothy head. Effervescence from the bottlm replenishes the head for a while. Nice lacing as I drank.

S - tons of dark fruits and caramel along with some spice that reminded me of nutmeg. There was a bit of Brett funk, but nowhere near what I expected. I had expected the Brett to change the beer, but really all it did was add a slight complexity to a stellar brew.

T - very sweet burnt sugar followed by a great nutty bitter finish.

M - Full bodied and slightly sharp carbonation, but it still worked. With as sweet as the beer is, it seemed to leave a slightly dry tannic finish on my tongue. No booze at all.

O - confirms that De Struise is the best quad maker in the world. Just an awesome variation on an already impressive beer. Definitely would love to try again (but still prefer the regular).

4.38/5  rDev +6.1%

On-tap at Ebenezer's Pub and Lion's Pride. Served in tulip, over and over. Had this one a lot...like maybe 7 times between the two spots.

A - Pours black brown, large frothy tan head, sticky lacing, large cap. This one was very frothy, sticky, and dark. Purty.

S - Nice bretty funk, brown sugar, dark fruit, burnt sugars. The brett adds another dimension onto an already stellar Quad. Really enjoyed the slight funk on this one mixed with the sugars and dark fruits.

T - More dark fruit forward then the nose, burnt sugars, molasses, chocolate, oak, brett funk, raisins. The brett is still there, but takes a back seat to the base beer on the palate, which is totally cool with me.

M - Body is medium, good carbonation, creamy finish.

O - I really really (really) enjoyed this one....at $14 a pop, it was expensive, but I was on vacation and I didn't give a shit. Chris even gave me a free one before we headed out. Glad the fiance drove back! Simply outstanding on-tap, you must try it at either establishment!

Edit: I had this from 3 different kegs and didn't experience any sour or tart notes, as others have noted.

3.98/5  rDev -3.6%

Pours a dark mahogany color with ruby red highlights and just a tiny showing of thin white head.

Aroma is similar to reserva, fruity sweetness suggesting figs and raisins mixed in with some hints of spice. Wild aspect adds a bit of a funky amonia character but without the tyipcal potency of sours.

Taste is rather sweet and fruity and does have a strong a phenolic spice character as reserva had. Not much of a woody character but a definite sour flavor sets this apart from the other Pannepots. Still though, I'm not sure the funk adds much to what is an already great tasting quad.

Mouthfeel is crisp and a bit try but not quite as puckering as I would have expected. Overall, an interseting twist on the quad but I still prefer Reserva.

4.1/5  rDev -0.7%

Wow, this bottle is lively. Gushed all over the place, but luckily some of it wound up in my glass. Thanks for sharing Dave!

Pours a dark, murky, brown-red with a thin ring of light tan foam. Leaves some nice lacing behind.

Sweet cherry and Belgian spice on the nose. Sweet acidity and some barnyard funk. Earthy and musty with a hint of caramel. Nice complexity.

Blegian spice and sweet cherries on the tongue. Much like the nose. Earthy oak. Cherry is the dominant fruit followed by red grapes. More earthy and funky than sour. Nice brett presence. Interesting take on the regular Pannepot. I like it.

Mouthfeel is earthy and dry with a touch of sweetness. Almost saison-like. Slightly tannic. Good carbonation.

Overall, I like this beer quite a bit. A nice addition to the Pannepot series. Tastes more like a fruity brett saison than anything else. I found my glass to be enjoyable, but due to the rarity of this beer I don't think I'll be seeking out another. Worth trying if you have easy access.

4.6/5  rDev +11.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Up for review is a 750ml bottle of Pannepot Wild. Poured into a snifter at cellar temp. Not a gusher. Great color as usual, nice head. Bretty funk over Pannepot. Was expecting this to be more sour. Medium body, well carbonated. Will be interesting to se how this ages.

4.5/5  rDev +9%

On tap at Ebenezer's 2/13/11:

A: Dark brown, opaque, 1 inch off-white frothy head that slowly dissipates. Leaves decent lacing.

S: Plums, raisins, dates, grapes, sour, and funk.

T/M: Taste is much like the Reserva, but with much more port qualities and Brett. Lots of dark fruits, grapes, red wine, Belgian yeast, oak/vanilla. The Brett adds a touch of tartness and funk, but plays a complimentary role, not taking over the brew. The carbonation was fairly light and the body not quite as viscous as I remembered the Reserva. It was, however, velvety smooth, maybe the smoothest beer I've yet had. Alcohol presented some nice esters and wasn't overpowering. The level of complexity is pretty astounding and the flavors all lingered on through the dry, port finish. Fantastic.

This didn't seem as hot as the Reserva and went down way to easy.

3.25/5  rDev -21.3%

2008 bottle. Kind of a gusher.

Pours a beige head. Color is a ruby hued dark bronze.

Aroma: A ton of spice. Cinnamon shows the most. Soured pannepot. Roasted malts, caramel and wine flavors. Grape juice.

Taste: Boozy kind of. Raisins, grape juice, plums, chocolate, caramel. Wine-like flavors. Oaky and spiced. Some cherries. Big roast.

Mouthfeel: Dry and roasted. Full bodied with a medium to high amount of carbonation. Ends pretty clean.

Overall, not really for me. Decent, but nothing stellar. Somewhat enjoyable, but I couldn't drink very much of this.

3.9/5  rDev -5.6%

Thanks to Henry for knocking another one of my wants off at the tasting. A tough thing to do...

A: The beer exploded out of the bottle and when it finally made it into the glass, we see a chestnut color with a quickly receding khaki head.

S: There's a bit of an herbal note as I first smell the beer and it's quite heavy on the roast as well (for a quad, anyway). The wildness soon shows itself and there is an intense red wine aroma. Yet, it's still very sweet.

T: This sounds strange, but this tastes a lot like Manischewitz, or maybe a grape Jello shot. Sweet red grapes dominate and there's a definite alcohol flavor on the back end. I get a fair amount of roast and just a small amount of oak.

M: The body is medium to full with a surprisingly moderate level of carbonation.

D: Perhaps a little boozy to be all that drinkable, but still quite nice. I liked all the wine character, but I could see it becoming overwhelming with any considerable amount consumed.

2.98/5  rDev -27.8%

Huge thanks to Jerz for hosting an awesome tasting, and for so many generous beer connoisseurs who made the event possible.

I guess first, let me say that I don't get the idea of souring a quad. All that complex effort to get a bunch of ingredients to meld into a quad-whole, and then you wild it? Hmmm.... okay, let's see how it is.

Oddly dark pour. Light tan crust with nor real bubbling.

Smells like fetid, slightly gone-bad yeast and muted earth funk. Some breaded malt. Wish there was more breaded malt to the aroma and less swampy funk.

Taste is almost like a, I hate to say it, slightly infected quad. It's like, it didn't go completely sour, but it's also most definitely not quad-like anymore. Some weird sherried dirt with some earth funk, a bit of quad yeast and bread with sweet dappled brown sugar, but it just doesn't come together. On the aftertaste, dark fruit. Dark fruit that's struggling to live.

3.85/5  rDev -6.8%

On tap at Ebenezer's the weekend of Night of the Funk 2010.

Pours a very dark brown into a nice Belgian chalice. Good off white head with really nice retention and some pretty good lacing. The nose brings some light notes of sourness and funk, although they're not terribly present. While nice, the side effect is that much of the really great notes of the original version are covered up.

The taste does a better job of integrating everything, though the great yeasty esters and complex malt don't stand out as much as I would like. The feel represents this well, as the slight funk doesn't mesh all that well with the remaining components of the beer. Overall, almost a lighter version of Pannepot that has gotten just a bit of an infection.

I'm really excited that I got to try this, although in the end it was a bit of a disappointment.

3.68/5  rDev -10.9%

Thanks to Olga for this birthday present. 2008 batch, 75cl bottle into my Narke tulp...Pours like a regular pannepot, dark brown, lighter brown on the edges. A slight gusher when first opened, didn't explode but have a glass ready. The head only rises about two fingers, ok retention and lacing...The aroma is pretty light, expected a bit more. Oak, red wine, and vinegar on the front, missing a lot of the malty goodness that I really like in the original. Light spice in the middle...The taste again is not at all what was expected. Its more oak and woody vinegar than anything with alcohol. All quad characteristics are gone, I'm missing some of the sweet dark fruits or sugar. The finish is lots of alcohol and oak, a little sugar...The feel is full and viscous... A little tough to drink as I am just not feeling it totally.

A rare one that doesn't meet the hype. An interesting style but don't give up much to get this. This reminds me of an infected beer that is now sour, i.e. Rurik.

3.93/5  rDev -4.8%

On tap at Ebenezer's Pub in September.

I was excited to get a chance to try this rarity on draft. I had heard rumors that this batch was "undrinkable" when first kegged but was mellowing out week by week and evolving into something special. My understanding is this is regular Pannepot with brett yeast - seems simple enough.

Nose was Pannepot-esque, but leaning toward cola. Lots of carbonation with the intial pour, but it settled out before long. I thought the taste was good, but I have to say regular Pannepot is more my thing. A lot of the unique dark fruit, dark chocolate notes seemed masked by the brett. With the brett constantly changing this beer, I may have missed the "high point" of this batch that others raved about during the summer, but I'm glad I got to try this. I can still say I have never met a Struise beer I didn't like.

4.28/5  rDev +3.6%

I was recently lucky enough to try three different Pannepot incarnations in as many days - the Pannepeut (Danish), Reserva (barrel aged), and this, the Wild. Came across this one on draught at The Lion's Pride in Brunswick, Maine.

Served to me in smallish goblet, full and luscious head atop a rusty dark brown ale. Clearly this one has been dosed with a little something wild. I believe the bartender mentioned that the 2007 batch was a bit off at brewing, and the brewers decided to push it in that direction by adding wild yeast and aging in oak. I'm glad they did, this is a unique twist on a classic. Aromas traditional to a quad and familiarly Pannepot-ish, rich and malty, sweet, fruitcake, spicy, raisins, and laced with a mild funk. Crazy. Flavor is indeed affected a bit by the "wild", but not as much as I thought from the smell. Still very assertive and lush - rich, spicy deep quad flavors, smooth and bready, with a slight pang of earthy funk, not sour. Umami. Very even yet lively on the palate, and fun and interesting to drink. Definitely a great twist on one of my all-time favorites.

Pannepot Wild from De Struise Brouwers