Black Damnation VIII - S.H.I.T. - De Struise Brouwers

Black Damnation VIII - S.H.I.T.Black Damnation VIII - S.H.I.T.

De Struise Brouwers visit their website

American Black Ale |  12.00% ABV

(Beer added by: thepeter on 07-02-2011)
Reviews by thepeter:
thepeter

United Kingdom (England)

4.55/5  rDev +14.6%

(From notes on a napkin) Got to have this at an EPIC wedding of Mes and Sim. Poured a jet black with a big bubble foam head. Smells of pine, grapefruit hint of brown sugar. Taste is HUGE pine resin, and grapefruit right upfront and in your face followed by roasted malt, toffee, smoke, brown sugar, and then it finishes bitter and clean and you just want more. As with just about every Struise offering, the Mouth feel was smooth as silk and perfect carbonation. This was just about the perfect example of a Black IPA, and the best I have ever had. A wonderful Beer.

07-02-2011 09:30:37 | More by thepeter

3.25/5  rDev -18.1%

11-30-2013 01:27:00 | More by crosenkrantz
tendermorsel

4.2/5  rDev +5.8%

On tap the second day at Borfets beer fest. I was pretty excited to try this one.

According to Urbain this was being run through the ice machine and that the ABV would start at 12% and reach 17 % by the end of the night. Also according to Bart from Struise they had a bit of Messy left in the line/keg from the night before so the S.H.I.T. was a bit messy. Messy S.H.I.T.!! For real. Jesus I love Struise. I couldn't make this up if I tried.

The color was much lighter than I would have expected. Dark but not as some other black IPA's I have tried. Light, golden and brown. Nice tight head. Extremely smooth mouth feel. Silky smooth stuff. Very hoppy flavor but the nose did not match the taste in terms of the hops. The nose had many of the characteristics of the Messy I tried the night before. Coffee and Whiskey notes. I could definately tell that this was being run through the ice distiller as there were cold small ice pieces in the beer. This did not effect the mouthfeel at all it was perfect as is.

Overall a great beer. Some day I want to try the regular S.H.I.T. instead of some impromptu Messy S.H.I.T. To be honest like many of the Struise beers the mouthfeel and silky head on this one made it for me.

10-14-2011 19:32:07 | More by tendermorsel