Shark Pants - De Struise Brouwers

Shark PantsShark Pants

De Struise Brouwers visit their website

Belgian IPA |  9.00% ABV

(Beer added by: Mar02x on 09-26-2011)
3.53/5  rDev -10.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Clear dark amber colour with a moderate sized, creamy tan head. Nice head retention.

Syrupy malt with plenty of sweetness. Lots of resinous piney hop with some Kiwi hop varieties adding nice mango and passionfruit notes.

Not all that bitter with all the residual sugar thickening it. Plenty of hop character though with grapefruit and tropical fruits dominating. A touch too much sugar but still nice.

Medium body with moderate carbonation. Good.

A decent little beer and an interesting idea. I find it a touch too sweet but there is certainly a lot of hop character here. These guys manage to make a lot of their other beers dry enough so I don't know what's going on here.

dgilks, Jan 18, 2012
3.9/5  rDev -0.8%

A: Pours a orange color with glints of ruby. Thick, quite creamy white head with very high retention.

S: As hoppy as announced, fruited (citruses, orange peels, tangerine, slight red fruits), resinous also, and eventually a bit herbal, earthy. The bitterness is - a bit -hidden behind a malty, resinous sweetness. Quite boozy too.

T: Bitter, so bitter ! But also yeasty, with some boozy tartness and malty sweetness. But overall, an overwhelming bitterness that last for long, so long !

M: Medium to full bodied, with high carbonation and a sharp attack. Powerful, lingering aftertaste.

O: An extreme bier. Probably a bit too much alcoholized, a bit too much bitter, a bit too sweet. But this is a very original brew and to this extent, it would be a pity to be on your way from it !

Fux, Jan 17, 2012
3.58/5  rDev -8.9%

11.2oz bottle poured into a cervoise. The brew appears a clouded amber orange with 3 fingers worth of fluffy tan head. As the cap slowly fades, it leaves a complete wall of lace coating the entire glass. Around the edges some orange coloration is noted and more of an amber brown towards the middle of the body.

The smell of this brew is not hiding the hops at all. Fruity rinds, citrus, orange, mango, herbs and a bit of resinous pine linger towards the back. All of the hops sit atop a sweetness that is somewhat floral and caramel-like from the grain backing. As more smells are taken, it comes across quite herbal with almost a minty tinge to it mixed with some veggy hop aspects.

The taste very herbal and bitter. The hops take on a bit of green veggy flavoring mixed with herbs and young yeasty notes. Despite the forward flavor and bitterness of the hops, the toasty biscuit grain flavor is still present that provides a minor sweetness almost caramel to toffee-like to offset the bitterness of the brew. The aftertaste is oily with hops, resinous like pine and herbs to the fullest extent. As the brew warms, a bit of solvent alcohol comes out of the woodwork and more of a fruity focus becomes evident.

This is a medium bodied brew with a moderate to high level of carbonation. I see some previous draft reviews call this out as being undercarbonated, I can attest that in the bottle this might be a bit over-done if anything. The 9% alcohol hits with the expected warmth and flavor inclusion throughout this brew. Not the best DIPA I have had, but interesting and worth a try if you get the chance. As advertised, this is probably the most bitter belgian made IPA I have had.

stakem, Jan 12, 2012
4.25/5  rDev +8.1%

Pours a dark but clear orangey-brown colour. Two finger creamy head (not sure what was wrong with the other reviewers beers).

On the nose I get citrus (predominantly orange plus peel), as well as biscuity malt.

This is a pretty intense beer. One of the more bitter imperial IPAs I have tried, with a quinine quality to the hops, as well as orange rind. It is not just bitter hop though: I also get a nice nuttyness from the malt. This is my kind of thing. The closest comparison I would make is to Troubadour Magma but I find this beer better balanced (the alcohol doesn't overdominate).

As I mentioned above, I am not sure what the other posters were referring to with the carbonation. Mine has a nice mouthfeel and is perfectly carbonated.

This beer is a one-off collaboration by Struise with the 3 Floyds brewery from Indiana I think (have never heard of 3 Floyds). I like it. It makes me want to try one of 3 Floyds but I have zero chance of finding it here in Brussels.

richmof, Jan 11, 2012
3.28/5  rDev -16.5%

Another Struise pour from Borfrets.

I was so psyched to try this one. I haven't had the one from FFF and LOVE the label. 1# DAD!!! I was a bit disappointed with this one.

The flavor and smell were what I expected. Hops hops and more hops. Lots of citrus.

Ugh... This was very undercarbed. No head and bad mouthfeel. I am not sure if this beer was ready. This was flatter than an LA Angels Share! Perhaps it was rushed to the fest?

Not my favorite offering from Struise. Oh well they do everything else wonderfully so I cannot get too mad about an undercarbed beer.

tendermorsel, Oct 18, 2011