Durango Brewing Derail Ale - Durango Brewing

Durango Brewing visit their website
Colorado, United States

American Strong Ale |  8.50% ABV

"Double Golden Ale"

(Beer added by: Mitchster on 08-11-2004)
« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »
Reviews by samie85:
3.38/5  rDev -8.9%

Pours a golden color with two fingers of white head.

Pineapple and pine notes with some sweet grain.

Follows the nose with pineapple and pine notes with caramel backing.

Sticky feel with low carbonation and medium body.

This is decent beer but I feel as though I've had it before, only that it was billed as a IIPA.

samie85, Mar 11, 2012
4.03/5  rDev +8.6%

(Served in a tulip)
A- This beer has a touch of hazy to an apricot colored body and a sticky foam of bubbly light beige that is supported by a slow tiny carbonation.

S- The nice fruity hops has qualities of unripe apricots and some light toasted malt notes with just a touch of sweetness and caramel malt in the finish.

T- A nice malt profile has taste of honey malt, with some light dry toasted malt notes and a fresh pale malt flavor coming through. There is a fresh sweetness and some soft floral green hops that turn more woody pine as it opens up. The aftertaste has a touch of hop bitterness that grows as the beer warms.

M- The medium mouthfeel has a mellow creamy texture and no real alcohol heat noticed.

O- This beer has a nice balance of fresh malt with some nice hop character for such a big ABV. I would describe this as a “white barleywine” in that is has lots of fresh full malt but not a big sweetness and the hops help to balance it and give it more character.

rhoadsrage, Apr 24, 2013

LXIXME, Jan 23, 2014
2.5/5  rDev -32.6%

ONovoMexicano, Sep 09, 2014
4.2/5  rDev +13.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I'd say this 8.5% beauty is an old ale not AIPA, but that's my 2 cents (review based on notes)

Pours brown with 2 fingers of cream colored head. Very good head retention & lacing

S: Caramel & some breadyness

T: Caramel, breadyness, a touch of grainyness & grapefruit hops up front. Honey malt as this warms, along with grapefruit & dryness. Finishes with pineapple & breadyness

MF: Creamy, skews malty

Drinks too easy for the ABV & style. I hope I can find this here in six packs!

russpowell, Oct 12, 2008
4.33/5  rDev +16.7%

I was not really sure what to make of this one as it sat in my fridge, so I just decided to grab it and find our what it was all about. Served cold and poured into a pint glass, this one was consumed on 12/28/2009.

The pour was very nice and typical for a brown ale. Rich hazelnut brown in color, with a nice bit of clarity and a inch and a half of foam covering the top. Nice retention and smooth, lace like foam down the sides. Aroma is nutty at first, rich, roasted malts come through nicely on the initial pass, but as it warms some nice balance of sweetness starts to pick up and hints of brown sugar, bready tones and a nice herby hop presence show them selves off quite well. Very nice, clean, and smooth flavor here as well. Starts off very sweet and mellows quite nicely with a good balance between flavors. Long finish is semi sweet and loaded with delicate tones of chocolate and roasted nuts. Light hop bite at the end is just enough to dry it out and leave me looking for another sip to follow this one.

Overall a very solid ale here and not at all what I was expecting. I would have no issue at all with having this one again any day. Really a great example of the style here.

mikesgroove, Dec 30, 2009

TheSquire23, Nov 28, 2011
3.85/5  rDev +3.8%

Forewarn - this is my first review on BA!

This beer just arrived here in Birmingham, and I had heard great things about it. I heard from someone that it actually arrived here by mistake, although Durango beers have been here for a while since we - the voters! - finally changed the ridiculous ABV laws.

A - Very nice golden color. Not much foam at all - maybe a finger's worth

S - maybe I'm congested, but I got very little aroma initially. After about halfway, I definitely pick up the caramel hints. Nothing overwhelming.

T - Very smooth. At 8.7% ABV, I expected a bit more alcohol taste, but again it's very smooth. Not a strong hop taste, IMO.

M - Seemed a little "liquor-like" to me. Not much carbonation.

D - I like it! I could drink lots of this stuff.

My comments above may not reflect it, but I really like this beer. It's very, very enjoyable. I'm primarily an IPA fan, and this isn't the typical IPA. But, I like it and I will buy it again, if the distributor screws up again!

CrestwoodG, Oct 15, 2009

bcoonce, Aug 02, 2013
3.3/5  rDev -11.1%

Pours a hazy/cloudy apricot-copper with a small white head. Be sure to swirl the bottle just before emptying. Very interesting aroma, all kinds of stuff going on here. Very sweet fruitiness -overripe apples, peaches, apricots, oranges- along with a strong boozy fig and a hint of balsam and orange blossom. Soft entry, then definitely hit with the ABVs. Unexpectedly not sweet and a bit flat. Taste is woody, boozy, slight fig. Bottle claims 44 IBUs - where? A decent enough Strong Ale but really just average with an interesting aroma.

atomicbeer, Oct 20, 2012

Hopheadjeffery, Aug 05, 2013
3.5/5  rDev -5.7%

crobinso, Jun 28, 2012
4.68/5  rDev +26.1%

Second the not an IPA vote, they won 2 GABF golds in the past two years (2007 and 2008) according to the brewer in the other strong ale category I believe.

A- Very pretty beer, golden Amber in color and slightly cloudy with a great head. lacing the whole way through.

S- Smelled like citrus and pine hops as well as a stronger malt backbone than it looked. A tad bit of alcohol as well but with 8.5% ABV I think this is standard for a strong ale.

T- Killer, actually one of the best beers I have ever had, no alcohol great balance of hops and malt (A little more hop centric) Clean with American Ale crispness and a tad fruity (not a funky belgian which can be fun though)

M- Very good and light considering its strength, perhaps a little to carbonated though.

D- Most session-able Strong Ale I have ever had, man this could be dangerous, it tastes so good you want more and some how is light enough to not fill you up. No wonder it won two golds.

SeattleBeerBlog, Jun 11, 2009

mychalg9, Nov 10, 2012
4.23/5  rDev +14%
look: 3.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Pours a cloudy golden beige color, with a small silky head. Aroma of tropical hops, caramel, smoke and toffee. In the taste, complex malt, wood like hops and toffee. Hop bitterness and flavor is moderate, but does an admirable job to stand up to the malt bill. There is a faint lingering citrus and toffee. Full bodied ale and has a medium level of carbonation. Overall, there's a reason why this has won beer medals; this is delicious stuff.

Stinkypuss, Sep 14, 2013

First off, definately NOT and IPA. At 18.8 Plato and 8.5% ABV this is more of a DIPA variety.

Hazy pour with thin sticky head. Big aroma of citrus hops and malts. Med slick mouthfeel with smooth carbonation. Finish Not as bitter as some IPAs. A bit too much alcohol warming.

Nice beer, so far my favorite from Durango Brewing. Strong but flavorful. Wonderful balance between an IPA and DIPA although the alcohol is a bit too apparent. Maybe needs a tad more hop bitterness to offset.

kgotcher, Oct 24, 2008
3.68/5  rDev -0.8%

Poured from 22 oz bomber into a NG flute type glass (supplied by Dan C). Poured a pretty bright golden color with minimal head; no lacing. Picked up sweet malt and a little citrus on the nose. Taste was sweet malt, a small amount of citrus, and biscut. No bitterness at the end. I would like to visit this one again; thought the brew was very quaffable.

Schmittymack, Apr 20, 2011
3.65/5  rDev -1.6%

Looking through some of the reviews for this one, I notice that folks are disagreeing with the BA distinction of IPA; I wholeheartly concur. Pours a nice sunny golden color, with a decent white head. Aromas of lightly citrusy hops and sweet caramel malts. More of the same on the palate, with a little brown sugar. Nicely balanced between the hops and malt. A pretty nice effort.

emmasdad, Jun 17, 2010
3.28/5  rDev -11.6%

A: orangeish golden color small head does not stick around too much

S: not much in smell slight hop and slight malt smell

T: alcohol is masked well but pretty unremarkable taste here

M: med mouth that stings with carbonation

D: I cant drink this very fast the after taste stops me i guess

overall: for me its a disappointment I was really hoping for something better.

JamisonM, Aug 09, 2010
3.68/5  rDev -0.8%

Thanks to Jeff for the sample.

I third, this is not an IPA.

Pours a clear golden body with a thin white head. The aroma is mild with semi-sweet caramel notes, a touch bready with a hint of fruity hops. The flavor is malty, not much hop flavor, maybe a little floral and fruity with moderate hop bitterness. I find it rather generic, not much to say about it, though it is boozy. Medium to full body.

A decent strong ale, not my cup of tea, but a solid brew none the less.

BradLikesBrew, Aug 23, 2009
3.75/5  rDev +1.1%

Well, well, well....Durango eh? Neat-o label on this one (not pictured..must be new)

Pours a polished copper body that is nicely clear. A two finger head, white, settles to a foamy collar with some top clouds. Lacing is thin, and I would like to see some chunks...oh well.

Pear aroma struck me first, and quickly. Then light caramel and honey roasted malt. Not too sweet, more toasty. But not burnt. Some pine and alcohol clear the nasal cavity a bit. Smells strong and assumes that resin will be in the flavor

but it's not. The flavors are actually kind of light. The caramel is thin and malt is spread out. a quick hit of pine comes in to introduce the hops, but they bite and leave. I don't pick up too much citrus in the hops, and if this beer had more minerals to it, I could call it an English IPA. Or if more malt was present, perhaps and APA, but an AIPA I'm not too sure of. No matter.

It's a good beer nonetheless and may make it to my fridge as a regular stand by beer.

Mebuzzard, Aug 04, 2010