Microbrew Invitational

Added by BeerAdvocate on 06-09-2002

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50  | next → last
Reviews: 27 | Ratings: 53
4.7/5  rDev +29.1%

Pours deep ruby red with a mahogany tones & a 1" tan head in kotsitzer glass. Great effervescence, good lacing & some head retention

Smell: Roasted malt & frutiness

Taste: Caramel & rich toasted malts dominate. Frutty & somewhat dry finish

MF: Rich and very goodcarbonation

Very drinkable dark lager that makes me think I'm back in Bayern! Can't believe only 3 BAs have found this gem so far...

3.78/5  rDev +3.8%

Appearance: Pours an extremely clear deep garnet color that you have to aggressively pour to force a head. The head fell within a minute or so to leave a really thin ring around the edge. When held to the light, it looks like a rich DoppelBock.

Aroma: The malt is definitely the key player in the aroma. I don't get the traditional decoction-rich Melanoidins that you would expect from a Munich Dunkel, but there are a lot of toasty notes that I would imagine are Munich malts. There is a generous helping of Chocolate here to make the aroma more rich.

Taste: The taste gives you a lot more caramel than you would expect from the aroma. The Chocolate also obscures the whole profile a bit for a traditional Dunkel. There is some definite fruitiness noticeable, but this may just be my perception of the interaction of dark malts and alcohol. I would expect for the finish to be a bit less syrupy, though the style calls for a "dextrinous" mouthfeel.

Opinion: I like this beer, and think that it is very drinkable. I am a little reluctant to call it a Munich Dunkel. I think that the label is a bit closer, calling it a Dark Lager. It is really rich for your traditional American Dark Lager (like Shiner Bock), but it doesn't have the depth of a true Munich Dunkel (like Augustiner Dunkel). It's lost in the middle somewhere in the Dark Lager category. I would still recommend giving this beer a shot if you like malt balanced beers like myself.

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50  | next → last