Blueberry Wheat - Durango Brewing

Durango Brewing visit their website
Colorado, United States

American Pale Wheat Ale |  5.30% ABV

Availability: Summer

(Beer added by: andreasmwatt on 06-30-2008)

djrn2, Feb 24, 2013

Mebuzzard, Jul 31, 2014
2.73/5  rDev -18%

602nd Review on BA
Bottle to Weizen
650ml

Thanks to a vendor of mine for sending this bottle to me while HE was on vacation.

App- A very hazy cloudy yellow with a pretty slow receding two finger head. Only the slighest bit of cling.

Smell- When it's cold, it's a bit sour. As it warms it's a bit of a fresh carbonated juice notes. As the second pour comes more of a fresh squeezed blueberry

Taste- It's a faint blueberry with a strong wheat base. On the taste it's just too artificial. Very sweetened vs mashed in or fermented flavors. Its light but off.

Mouth- As expected its light bodied and high carbed. Artificial candy blueberry flavors remain.

Drink- Eh, for a gift I can't complain. Its just needed more fresh flavors vs the artificial. I don't know if I'll ever have the chance to have this again but there are alot of blueberry beers out there.

FosterJM, Jun 29, 2011
2.53/5  rDev -24%

A friend left this bottle at my house and said we could go ahead and drink it. Split the bomber with my wife, and could barely get through my glass. Light yellow color with a rapidly disappating white head. Tons of artificial blueberry up front, quickly gives way to a boring, unappealing graininess. Not impressed.

emmasdad, Mar 11, 2011
3.04/5  rDev -8.7%

22 oz bottle poured into a weizen glass

A- A hazy golden copper with almost no head.

S- Blueberries, a little sweet, a little tart.

T- Wheat, some blueberries, a little artificial, not very strong.

M- Light body.

O- A little artificial, fairly drinkable. With this being an extra I really can't complain about this. As it gets a little warm I am getting a nice light tartness.

larryi86, May 01, 2013
2.5/5  rDev -24.9%

ONovoMexicano, Sep 09, 2014
3.43/5  rDev +3%

Pale yellow and clear with a moderate amount of carbonation. Good head retention. Blueberry aroma with some grain. Blueberry flavor up front gets weaker as the beer warms. Soft on the palate. Uninteresting middle. Finish shows a very slight amount of bitterness and an artificial sweetener aftertaste. Medium body.

LittleDon, Jan 15, 2011
3.25/5  rDev -2.4%

Gerred, Jul 24, 2014
3.43/5  rDev +3%

Pours a pale lemonhead hazy color, with white 2 finger head. A= Not getting much except a light blueberry smell, but at least it smells like real blueberries and syrup. T= Actually a light wheat beer flavor with a light blueberry flavor, low hop bitterness, not even noticeable. Im suprised that the blueberries taste more "real" than most every other fruit beer I have had, which normally are way to sickly, syrupy, and not good, but this is not that way, its pretty good actually. Blueberry flavor doesn't linger. I swear I can taste a light lemon flavor, but it could just be my mind playing tricks on me because of the color. M= thin, but not watery.

Overall, I was pleasantly suprised, I was expecting the usual fruit beer, thats way to sweet, and is all imitation fruit syrup flavored, and way to much of it. But Durango has managed to pull back the reigns and not go over the top with their version, and It's much appreciated. Still with that being said, and even though its drinkable, I can't really think of a time when this would be "the right choice" of beer, but maybe on a hot summer day when you are in the mood for something else besides a wit.

webbcreative, Aug 23, 2009
3.25/5  rDev -2.4%

MeisterMayhem, Jul 02, 2013
3.5/5  rDev +5.1%

A: cloudy gold color white head good lace

S: sweet blueberry with some wheat in there

T: taste is very sweet more then the smell I think I cant go more then just average on the taste if it was a tad less sweet it would be better

M: mouth is light med carbonation

D: its drinkable

overall: a beer that I did enjoy but cant give it real high marks I would get this again but only every so often. In summer it seems to hit the spot. I liked it but did not love it.

JamisonM, Aug 03, 2010
3.5/5  rDev +5.1%

msumike89, Jun 30, 2014

quadhog, Oct 13, 2012
3.75/5  rDev +12.6%

cosmic-ray, Dec 17, 2012
2.95/5  rDev -11.4%

A - VERY CLEAR COULD NOT DISTINGUISH THIS BEER AS A WHEAT BEER.

S - BLUEBERRIES BLUEBERRIES AND BLUEBERRIES! ALMOST SMELLS LIKE CANDY!

T - REALLY NOT MY THING. JUST SEEMS TO BE ANOTHER FRUIT INFUSED BEER. STRONG TASTE OF BLUBERRIES. REALLY DOES NOT TASTE LIKE BEER.

M - VERY FRUITY. ALMOST LIKE A BLENDER DRINK.

D - EZ GOING DOWN AND A NICE SUMMER BEER IF YOU LIKE BLUEBERRIES.

OPVERALL - THIS FRUIT STUFF JUST ISN'T MY THING. I THINK DURANGO HAS THE RIGHT APPROACH THOUGH. THIS BEER IS TOTALLY MARKETABLE TO THE LADIES.

andreasmwatt, Jun 30, 2008
3.75/5  rDev +12.6%

Lost_Medic, Jul 08, 2014
3.64/5  rDev +9.3%

JamesPow, Sep 01, 2014
4.69/5  rDev +40.8%

This is the summer seasonal from Durango Brewing. As a fruit based wheat beer it has a very drinkable taste. Many "fruity" beers are too sweet for my tastes but this is just a hint of blueberry and kind of reminds me of a good blueberry pancake. Great morning beer is what i always say! I can never wait for the summer to come so I can enjoy this tasty yumminess. Its a must try.

BeerFanDurango, Jun 13, 2013