20th Anniversary Belgian Ale - Durango Brewing

good

Durango Brewing visit their website
Colorado, United States

Witbier |  ABV ?

(Beer added by: BradLikesBrew on 04-18-2010)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of 20th Anniversary Belgian Ale Alström Bros
katan

3.9/5  rDev +6.3%

750ml into a goblet, almost exploded in my face

A - Pours with a boatload of carbonation. Dark golden in color with just a few brown highlights. Pearly white head formation at about 1/2" and it sticks around the whole time.

S - A combination of belgian pilsner malts and a good amount of citrus belgian yeast. Not sure I'd call this a witbier at this point, doesn't pull in any of the spiciness of the wheat notes.

T - Starts off malty and smooth, the light graininess of some belgian pilsner malts. Midstream the yeast takes full affect, this one goes down the road of citrus. Very floral. Finishes with a more spicy white pepper note, more witbier oriented but it only seems to compliment what I think is a belgian golden ale.

M - Very hefty carbonation, very bubbly. The body just doesn't hold up to it - it plays like this had too much time in the bottle. Alcohol warmth is not present, so I would think this lands in the 6% ish range for ABV.

o/D - A very good belgian ale. A little bit filling from all the carbonation. Flavors are nice and smooth. Probably more intended for summer consumption than fall (my fault not theirs).

10-06-2012 18:07:23 | More by katan
Jason

3.5/5  rDev -4.6%

01-03-2012 02:18:41 | More by Jason
zaphodchak

3.6/5  rDev -1.9%

Wire cork cage snapped as I was undoing it. Almost needed pliers.

Unwieldy three-finger head from a mild pour, like sea foam. Transparent, bubbly yellow body. Pretty heavy lacing.

Tart Belgian yeasty nose with some citrusy zest.

Tastes quite nice (tripel?) with some sweet fruit character. I get apple and faint orange with plenty of yeast character and some wheat.

Unfortunately overcarbonated and foamy. This was evidentfrom the pour and the bang when uncorking it. May have added too much sugar in bottle conditioning, or I may have over-agitated the bottle trying to get the cage off. Either way, it's regrettable because it cuts the flavor and makes it harder to drink. I drink some, get excited because I can tasted, only to have it turn into foam in my mouth.

It's pretty darn nice tasting if it weren't such a foam-fest. On the chance that it was my error in opening or pouring, I'll give the benefit of the doubt.

NB: At this point I got clever and thought that stoppering the bottle and inverting it might tease the foam into settling out. Mistake. Upon inverting, beer shot out the stopper and upon righting it, the bottle contained only foam.

11-08-2011 02:27:45 | More by zaphodchak
LeeryLeprechaun

3.68/5  rDev +0.3%

The beer was housed in a rather nice Belgian Beer Bomber with a cork that gave a very satisfying pop when opened from its wire cage.

The beer appeared to be a hazy orange color and was highly carbonated which produced a nice white head.

The aroma was of clove, pineapple and banana candy, all of which played very well together.

The beer tasted sweet with a medium body and some hints of banana and clove.

Overall the beer was okay, a little too well carbonated to be able to comfortably drink, maybe that is because I have been holding on to it for 8+ months.

08-08-2011 01:49:33 | More by LeeryLeprechaun
emmasdad

3.78/5  rDev +3%

Thanks to schmittymack for sharing this one with me the other night after dinner. Poured a hazy golden color with a huge, rocky, white head. Aromas of bananas, spice, pears and green apples. On the palate, this one was spritzy and medium bodied, with flavors of spicy yeast, apples and pears.

06-22-2011 23:09:21 | More by emmasdad
fosterography

4.65/5  rDev +26.7%

I'm kind of a swayed vote since I work for DBC, but as a consumer this beer is great. Wonderfully complex, refreshing herbaceousness, with well integrated alcohol. If you live in Denver, its pouring right now at Wynkoop Brewery. This was a fun beer to come out of our more German/American portfolio.

08-05-2010 22:51:38 | More by fosterography
mactrail

Washington

3.7/5  rDev +0.8%

Modestly flavored Belgian style ale.

Looks like a lager with a touch of amber. Not exactly bland, but quite unassuming in the range of flavors. It didn't strike me with Belgian flavors at first taste. It's a decent, clean and hard-working but plain sort of ale that's somehow gotten tarted up in the big bottle with the silly cork. Second tasting did not impress either. However, it tastes rather better the third tasting with more yeast from the bottom.

I think the beautiful label and fancy packaging leads you to expect a bigger beer. Might actually be a great quaff on tap.

06-29-2010 04:17:53 | More by mactrail
meeekyh

3.75/5  rDev +2.2%

So today I planted my first hops. I have no Idea the variety but I will tend them nonetheless. Anyway that prompted me to open something a bit special, and what could be more special than a Twentieth Anniversary Beer?

Right off I notice the lack of a 'pop' as I pull the cork from the 750ml bottle, this is usually bad for me. The beer is a full golden color and hazy with little head of an off-white color and leaving more lacing that I imagined it could.

The nose is fruity and floral and has anise and some sort of pepperoni note, maybe the coriander? There is a bit of alcohol, I am betting this is closer to an 8% than a 6% beer, thought the lack of label to indicate the one or the other is annoying.

Taste is rather clean I notice the grains and hops both, along with the spices. I have to say that I believe the first reviewer mislabeled this beer. In spite of the corriander and orange I do not believe this is a wit. I am believing this is more in the vein of a tripel, with its big grains and moderate hops.

Mouthfeel is full and there is a lack of carbonation. There is no syrupy afterfeel and the finish is just on the sweet side.

I think this is a good beer that could be even better in time. I am a bit of a nubie as to age and beer but I suspect this one will be better in a year.

Slainte.

04-27-2010 03:58:53 | More by meeekyh
BradLikesBrew

Missouri

2.48/5  rDev -32.4%

Thanks to Fosterography for the bottle.

This is a special beer to commemorate the brewery's 20th anniversary. It was brewed with Pilsner and Wheat malts, orange, coriander, local honey, Saaz hops, and Saison yeast.

Pours a cloudy golden orange body and a creamy white head. Heavy coriander aromas with a bit of orange peel. The flavors are...big. The first sip was like biting into an orange rind that had been smothered in coriander. These two flavors are downright overwhelming. There is some wheat sweetness, then bitter orange rind, and a long coriander finish. Surprising bitterness lingers on the tongue, but not in the pleasing hoppy sort of way. More of a bitter yeast or spice flavor.

The flavors in this beer are not bad, they just lack balance. They smother your taste buds. Maybe more time in bottle will smooth things out, but at present, it is a borderline drain pour.

I was excited by the idea of this beer and I am hopeful for this brewery's future, but right now, it still has a long way to go.

04-18-2010 22:26:34 | More by BradLikesBrew
20th Anniversary Belgian Ale from Durango Brewing
- out of 100 based on 9 ratings.