Atwater Dunkel - Atwater Brewery

Atwater Brewery visit their website

Munich Dunkel Lager |  5.60% ABV

Beer added by: AtLagerHeads on 09-18-2003

3.45/5  rDev +2.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

This pours a dark brown with a two finger offwhite head that doesn't stick long and leaves little lacing. On the nose there toasted malts combined with some caramel and an almost oatmeal like bit lingering underneath. In the mouth the taste repeats, the toasted caramel getting towards harsh but never quite making it. The body is medium light, definitely Atwater's weakspot. It's carbonated well leaving a nice roasty finish to go on for a while.

Overall, this is the best Atwater Block beer I've had, the only one that the body wasn't light to the point of distraction. It's not a great beer but it's plenty tolerable. Atwater: more such essays, please. (656 characters)

Poured a bottle of this into a pint glass. The color was a nice deep brown that was clear. The head was a light tan color. The aromas were roasted, malts some nuts and sugars. There wasn't much of a hops aroma. The Taste was slightly bitter and dry. The mouthfeel was on the lighter side for a dark beer. This brew was just a decent one for me. I can live without having this one again. But it might be worth a try. (415 characters)

3.52/5  rDev +4.5%

A: The beer is clear dark amber in color and poured with a thin white head that faded away leaving only a ring of bubbles on the surface around the edge of the glass.
S: The aroma is somewhat sweet and has some notes of caramel.
T: The overall taste is very similar to the smell.
M: It feels medium-bodied and very smooth on the palate with a moderate amount of carbonation.
O: The beer is very easy to drink and is also a good representation of the style. (457 characters)

2.76/5  rDev -18.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

A: Pours a clear almost black color with great cap of tan foam about 2 fingers thick.

S: Smells of bicuit malts and sweet breads also a hint of some fruits like plums.

T: Chocolate hints with some biscuity malts.

M: Medium body with a bit to much carbonation.

D: Pretty good overall drinkability a bit off for a dunkle but good non the less. (345 characters)

I picked up a 6 pack of this the other day since I was in the mood for a nice dunkel so I figured I would give it a try. Poured from a 12oz brown bottle into an imperial pint glass.

A- This beer poured a deep brown color with 3 fingers worth of tan lumpy head that died down to a half a fingers worth that stayed the rest of the time.

S- There's a mild presence of sweet slightly roasted malts, but that is quickly over powered by a very plastic like chemical smell. After reading some reviews I found a BA that said it smelled like some plastic water wings or a inflatable raft and I would say that is pretty dead on. The aroma is overall very confusing and bad.

T- Luckily the plastic doesn't carry through to the taste. The lightly roasted malts have a nice presence and are balanced well with the mild and grassy hops. Typical taste for a dunkle, nothing different just the normal flavors done well and balance well.

M- Medium bodied and overly carbonated.

D- I could have a couple of these, no problem. This beer goes down pretty smooth.

Overall this was a bit of a let down. I have had this beer before and liked it, but this batch seems off, every bottle from the 6 pack so far has been over carbonated and plagued with that horrid plastic smell. The taste was about were it should be for the style but the smell and over carbonation holds this beer back from hanging with the rest of the good dunkels. I think Atwater should look into some quality control issues with this brew.

EDIT: After finishing the rest of the 6 pack I found that some beers were even more of a gusher then the one i reviewed, and that 3 out of the 6 bottles had been infected with that horrible plastic taste.

EDIT2: Shortly after reviewing this beer I contacted the brewery to tell them about my infected six pack, they responded the next day, they apologized and told me it was and old batch and that they would be happy to contact my distributor and get me a replacement. Three weeks later I got an email from my local distributor telling me that they had dropped my beer of at local store. I went to pick it up and found they had given me two six packs instead of the one replacement. I think it was very nice of Atwater to do this, it shows that they really do care about their customers. This batch was spot on and just as good as I remembered. I have updated the rating to reflect this. Thanks Atwater from making a great dunkel and for taking care of your customers. (2,464 characters)

3.6/5  rDev +6.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

This was my review from just a couple of weeks ago in bottle:

---
I bought this beer at my corner market for the sole reason that I had never seen it before. Overall it was a pretty good beer, and I'd be interested to try it on tap but I probably wont buy it in a bottle again.

Color was pretty dark, light brown to dark copper. Not a whole lot of aroma to it, a iittle biscuity. Taste was ok, refreshing, I don't think too strong.

Overall not bad and a good choice if most of the others are macros or beers you're bored with.

---

The draft version was about the same as the bottle but may have been more enjoyable on draft as it had a nice dark color and flavor profile while being a light drinker in alcohol, making it sessionable. (762 characters)

1.94/5  rDev -42.4%

Bottle sample courtesy of my friend Nick- A deep cola pour with a frothed beige cap. Nose of spoiled cabbage and smoke, some fruit. Tastes of sweet cabbage, smokey chocolate, bitter fruits. Medium bodied, nasty cabbage aftertaste. Unfortunately a drainpour. (257 characters)

3.63/5  rDev +7.7%

Pours a darker brown/penny color with an huge helping of medium/thick tan head.
Smell is faint of malted grain and some sweet yeast.
Taste is solid with malted flavor with a great body of grainy/breadness.
Finish is wet with a small malt after-taste.
Drinks very smooth, sessionable with the best Munich Dunkels. (312 characters)

3.12/5  rDev -7.4%

Appearance: Deep mahogany with a thin tan head.
Smell: Roasted Malt, molasses, nutty with a slight ester.
Taste: It is a thin watery medium body with toasted malt and a bit of nuttiness and hint of sweetness like molasses.
Overall: This beer had a decent nose but lack in the taste department.The mouthfeel is slightly astringent. (332 characters)

2.72/5  rDev -19.3%

This one has a significant yuck-yum factor. The aroma is alright. It's light but mildly chocolaty, with cream soda, brown sugar, tea, and dark malts. The appearance is brown with a medium sized head. The flavor is where this one starts to have problems. You first get a bad fruitiness that is like over ripe watermelon and basil then a nice chocolaty, dark malt flavor follows. Finally there is an astringent bitter aftertaste. The palate is thin. This one has major problems with off flavors but there is potential. (516 characters)

2.34/5  rDev -30.6%

Bottle. A dark brown pour with way too much head,foam all over. Aroma of dark bread and burnt plastic. Flavor is heavy on the malt, like burnt caramel,tea and something else ? Sorry this was not for me. I will try this again if I get the chance to see if maybe the sample was just bad. (285 characters)

2.95/5  rDev -12.5%

Poured out of a bottle with a great head although it died down fairly fast. Color was a mid brown with a little cloudiness.

The smell was great. Tere was a great underlying lager smell with hop and malts present as well in pergect quantities.

Then it went wrong. I am still hoping this was a bad batch. It was a yeasty malty mess that stopped me finishing it. The aftertaste was actually okay which led me back for more sips. I gave .5 more due to this otherwise it would have been lower. The taste then spread to the nose.

If you took out the taste the body was a good coonsistency and carbonation, I will try this again at the MI Beer fest this weekend and see if it was a bad batch. (688 characters)

2.74/5  rDev -18.7%

I bought a six pack at my local Albertsons. Poured into my Sam Adams beer glass and the moderate pour produced about 4 inches of head and the remaining beer in the bottle was almost all foam, too. Needless to say, this brew is over carbonated. I dumped the first bottle and poured the second bottle very slowly and it produced a medium brown brew with many bubbles and a nice two finger tan head.

Smell is pretty good. The nice subtle maltiness I'm expecting from a dunkel. It's not overpowering, but light and sweet.

The taste is a bit of a disappointment. Too much carbonation as previously mentioned and a bit thin for the style.

Mouth feel again suffers from too much carbonation, I didn't get the creamy smooth feel of a dunkel.

Drinkability is average due mostly to the carbonation. I had great hopes for this brew and was completely let down. (853 characters)

2.76/5  rDev -18.1%

Eye: Okay, so I thought perhaps I just had a poor sixer of the pils, that is it being way too overcarbonated, however this seems to be a brewery wide problem. I've poured the beer and the glass is completely full of foam, there is 1 cubic inch liquid to 3.5 cubic inches foam. Now the beer left in the bottle, well its exactly at the top of the label. This is pathetic, quality control issues. Color is great, a nice reddish mahogany but the head just kills everything, it gets in the way of the rest of the beer, because I know that I'm going to have to wait forever until this beer gets to the point where the head has settled enough for me to pour the rest of it in the glass, then repeat, and repeat, and finally maybe I'll be able to drink it. Its not that hard to properly naturally carbonate a beer, I do it all the time, and I've never had a problem this bad, I mean out of two sixers, I know that all 12 will be like this. One of them was so bad it was a gusher! As soon as I opened it foam erupted out of the top, I had to run to a sink so it wouldn't get all over the carpet. There is no excuse for this from a professional brewery with the technology and equipment that they most definitely possess.

Nose: There are some sweet malts in there, however the plastic "water-wing/inflatable raft" smell is really getting to me. Under that I can smell some dark fruit, prunes and sweet malt syrup-rich dark malt aromas. Aroma is mixed, first I'll get the beer's aroma and the next time I put my nose to the glass I get toddlers in water-wings, then the beer's aroma again, and the cycle continues. Really weak aroma, that is overcome by a plastic aroma.

Tongue: If you can get past everything else that is negative about this beer, it actually has a decent flavor, however I can still see a toddler lurking next to the kiddie pool with his water-wings on, keeping his tiny head above the mixture of piss and water that only he has no problem frolicking in. Nice rich malt flavor mingled with some darker fruit flavors-prunes/plums. The yeast also adds some flavor to the blend here, hard to put a finger on but when you taste it you know there's something here from the yeast.

Mouthfeel and Drinkability: As with the Pils from Atwater, this is another case study in quality control, it is overcarbonated to the nth degree and that smelly little kid is still waddling around with his water-wings on, or a fat lazy guy at the public pool sitting on a raft with his head and the zenith of his belly just above water-the raft sunken under water by his weight, but still having enough buoyancy to keep his head and hairy navel above the water for all the world to see-the point is this plasticy aroma-band aids. And as with the Pils it also finishes quite dry. I'm on the sidelines as to whether I'd buy this again, I might at a much later date just to see if I was just having bad luck with the batches and carbonation. (2,926 characters)

3.56/5  rDev +5.6%

12oz. brown bottle, purchased at Party Source, poured into a flute. No dating.

A: Pours a gentle Mahogany with crimson tinting when back lit. A big eggshell head forms and hangs on for quite a bit. Nice fluffy lacing.

S: Malty and sweet. A tad yeasty and buttery.

T/M: Rich and sweet. Plenty of yeast as a nice tang to things. Malts are buttery and nutty with a bit of chewiness to them despite a semi thin body. Carbonation is decently high.

D: Easy to drink and a decent dunkel. (484 characters)

2.71/5  rDev -19.6%

This Munich Dunkel pours a very deep brown, nearly black, with tall, bubbly, tan head that recedes fairly quickly and leaves little lace. Extremely carbonated when decanted. So much so that I was worried there was something wrong with this particular bottle but the flavor seemed to be fine.

Slightly yeasty, dull, and malty in the nose. Nothing special. I understand that the style doesn't normally posses a huge bouquet but this is still a bit disappointing. A slight bit of fruit can be detected as well I suppose.

Some sweet caramel malt and darker fruit. Some yeasty dullness is very reminiscent of the aroma. A slight bit of citrus and a faint vinous quality in the finish. Mellow and very one dimensional but decent.

Higher but somewhat dull carbonation. As I said it seemed highly carbonated when poured but there isn't much as far as bubbly brightness. Somewhat matted and slick. Just a hint of dry warmth is noticeable in the finish. I enjoyed this one with pork and sauerkraut on New Years Day and it paired reasonably well but not a great drinker on its own in my opinion. Somewhat lacking overall. (1,115 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +33.5%

Beautiful appearance. Nice and dark like weak coffee with a thick off-white head. Heavy sweet carmel and coffee aroma. Maybe a touch of smoke as well. Tastes great! Sweet coffee and carmel and toffee kind of taste with roasted malt and a general pleasant sweetness. This is my favorite style of beer and the hometown Detroit Atwater Brewery did a hell of a job brewing it. I really like this beer a lot. Nice and chewy and easy to drink. I have more that I could say about this beer but the baby's crying. I highly recommend it. And the ABV is 5.2%, by the way. (561 characters)

4.13/5  rDev +22.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

This beer surprised me, Found in a Krogers I thought I would try it. It has quickly become one of my favorites.

A clean taste of coffee or a dark chocolate, but not so strong to over power your meal. I really recommend.

The smell and appearance is nothing out of the ordinary but the taste will make you smile the second it hits your lips. (342 characters)

3.61/5  rDev +7.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a 12 oz bottle to a tall glass mug. The liquid id a nice clear yet dark brown with good carbonation. The head is a tall two fingers tan and leaves some lace. A real good looking brew

The smell is very light and sweet malt. Not much to note.

The taste follows, a dunkel but not some what weaker in the taste then most, and less then the color would sugest.

The mouthfeel is ok, I would like more body. The carbonation was fine.

The drinkability was good, and easy drinking beer. Prosit MK (503 characters)

2.98/5  rDev -11.6%

Appearance: Pours a reddish-brown body with a thin white head.

Smell: Exceedingly light aroma of cheap tobacco and nuts.

Taste: Toasted malt flavor with an earthy nuttiness to it and a sprinkle of spice. Not really much hop character present, flavor, or bitterness. Finishes clean.

Mouthfeel: Medium-thin body. Medium carbonation.

Drinkability: Out of six different Atwater brews, this one was by far the best of the bunch, but still just wasn't worth it. (459 characters)

3.58/5  rDev +6.2%

Mahogany with fluffy white head. Little carbonation with a dark German bread aroma. Dark german bread grainyness is the overall flavor coming through
Medium, grainy with a mouthfull of Eurohops on the finish, with lingering dryness. Overall full to the style. (260 characters)

3.88/5  rDev +15.1%

Nice looking brew that fits the style qute well. Deep russet color with rhubarb enchantments. Head is thick and tight with great retention and thick lacing left down the glass.

Nose of bready grain malt with some caramel underlyings. A bit of milk chocolate with a touch of vanilla.

Didn't have much in way of expectations going into this beer off of the reviews but sometimes life can throw a suprise at you. This is one of those times. This is a very good American try at a classic German masterpiece. Very flavorful and satisfying unlike many.

Taste is very much like the aroma but multiplied. Big dark bread grainy malts with a caramel toffee sweetness. Again milk chocolate is there and dominates the mid palate with a sliced vanilla bean hint. A bit roasty on the finish but not too much so. Very simple yet flavorful beer. Nice carbonation with a creamy mouthfeel. One to session. (898 characters)

2.87/5  rDev -14.8%

poured into a nonic glass from a 12oz brown bottle with a crimped on cap got this from WVbeergeek brought it over before the Penn Fest.

Clear mahogany color with deep reddish hues lets light pass through. 1" creamy off-white towards tan head dissapated quickly to a thin coating with a collar around the inside of the glass. Not much carbination looked a bit on the flat side left a few bits of spot lacing.

Light roasty aroma with some sweet carmell, fruitty with a plum/prune like aroma. Some slight hints of dried coco. Aromas were faint to moderate.

Predominatly malt tastes just a bit of everthing roasty/chocolaty/toffee/carmell nothing really stands out here. Some dark fruitty flavors, plum seemed to hit me. Finishes tart with some dryness and slightly grassy.

Light mouthfeel,some grainyness,with a slight bit of cloying. Not a bad tasting beer,slightly on the bland side. Not a beer i would want to drink a lot of. (937 characters)

3.15/5  rDev -6.5%

Appearance a caramel brown cola tone with a large tan beige head forms large bands of lace as it dwindles and between each sip. Aroma mild cocoa tone and mild cookie dough with a creamy mild lactic character and a touch of herbal hops. Flavor moderate roasty sweetness dark chocolate and a mild tart lactic creaminess blend nicely with herbal hops interesting mix of flavors touch of mineral fruity raisin quality in the finish. Mouthfeel is light to medium in body with a healthy amount of carbonation that almost gets in the way of drinkabiilty terrible compared to the velvet quality of Penn Dark. Drinkability is okay not a dunkel I would reach for again in the future I have a general issue with Atwater beers I can't quite put my finger on the reason why. (761 characters)

4.25/5  rDev +26.1%

Very interesting dark lager. Huge creamy head (I enjoy pouring this one quickly to build a huge head, much like I also enjoy doing with a really cold Abita Turbodog) I like this beer very cold as it really matches the mouthfeel perfectly. Very much like a Guiness stout.

Aroma is malty with a tiny bit of tangyness. The flavor is different, perfectly balanced mix of roasted malt, a tiny bit of bitterness, but also quite dry.

I really enjoy this beer and look forward to drinking more Detroit beers (this is the first time I've seen this brewery's beers for sale here in Oklahoma City). (594 characters)

Atwater Dunkel from Atwater Brewery