Atwater Maibock - Atwater Brewery

Atwater MaibockAtwater Maibock

Atwater Brewery visit their website

Maibock / Helles Bock |  7.50% ABV

Availability: Spring

(Beer added by: walleye on 06-15-2006)
Reviews by Trent:
2.5/5  rDev -24.2%

Trent, May 04, 2013
3.53/5  rDev +7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured one and a half bottles into a half liter stein with a full golden/brass color with a blooming one and a half finger white head atop.Toasted grain sweetish alcohol in the nose,a faint iron note as well.Not as full and sweet as alot of maibocks but it's got a nice firm toastiness and a tinge of anise,it misses on some character traits but hits on a few others.Not as full as I would have liked in the mouthfeel but I think it's a little better than the ratings may suggest,not top tier but ok...

oberon, Mar 19, 2012
3.03/5  rDev -8.2%

A - Pours a deep golden brown with one finger of white head. Head fades pretty quickly and leaves very little lacing. Also has a lot of suspended material, which is interesting for a lager...

S - Bubblegum, toasted grain and a faint amount of citrus. Pretty good.

T - Taste is similar to smell, with the addition of an unfortunate unpleasant metallic taste, and some herbal hops. Alcohol is not really apparent.

M - Medium mouthfeel is a bit sweet initially, and finishes earthy and dry, again a bit metallic.

O - Not a bad beer, but this is a style I like quite a bit, and this one doesn't really stand out. Also, the metallic aspect really knocks it down a notch.

warnerry, May 27, 2012
3.5/5  rDev +6.1%

BurgeoningBrewhead, Sep 03, 2012
3.15/5  rDev -4.5%

Appears a crystal clear honey golden forms a large beige head forms leaves light sparse lace chunks as the head dwindles down. Aroma has a doughy sweetness light lemongrass sweetness herbal hops distinct biscuit malt tartness in there as well, fruity components bring some green apple and mild apricot tones. Flavor not so smooth a rough graininess that I usually detect in Atwater Block bottle openings kinda rough bitterness with leafy flavors doesn't meld so well a sour grainy finish with some traces of malty fruit tones. Mouthfeel is medium bodied again carbonation issues from this Atwater offering a bit higher than I would like. Drinkability is decent but by no means as clean and crips as a well made maibock should be kinda disappointing froma seasonal bottled offering from any micro.

WVbeergeek, Jun 15, 2007

cynical1027, Feb 21, 2012
2.25/5  rDev -31.8%

Medium gold with a healthy stack of white froth that both retains and laces well.
Nose is loud and full of sweet creamed corn. It's absolutely monolithic, and a little traumatic, as it flashes me back to 8 years old and my mother's insistence that I not go outside and play baseball until those last two dumptruck-sized spoonfuls of said corn preparation were consumed. All jokes and anecdotes aside, the aroma is not attractive, and lacks any sort of depth via backup tones. Simple and flawed, though quite potent and off-putting.
It fares slightly better in the mouth. Creamed corn is still a major player, and probably THE major player, and I'm still very uneasy about it, but here at least it has company. Low levels of vanilla and butterscotch (which is out of place in itself) and bruised pear waver in and out. It concludes with a grassy hop flavor and bitterness that, while minor, serves to slake the mouth clean.
Slick textured, medium body with a low-level carbonation. I can't blame anything on how it feels.
There are big elements of this that I don't like at all. Some of it is my fault with my neuroses and biases, but the majority of the blame falls on the beer.

cokes, Apr 04, 2008
4.2/5  rDev +27.3%

A - Exceptionally clear carrot-orange brew with a firm one finger head that recedes to a sliver of a cap. A swirl brings back a full finger and leaves some sudsy looking lace on the glass.

S - Nice caramel and toffee malt up front. Carrot cake and caramel candy aromas. Rich and a little bit fruity.

T - A continuation of the nose in that it's very malty, cakey and bready. It builds on the malty foundation with hints of pear and apricot along with some nice hop presence toward the finish.

M - Full bodied, chewy, but slick on the palate. This just feels like it's got a lot of taste packed into it. Really honey-thick and heavy in the mouth.

D - Nearly perfect. An excellent spring sipper! I'll most likely be picking up a six of this soon.

pmcadamis, May 23, 2007
3.6/5  rDev +9.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

12oz single, Steve's....tis maibock season in the midwest

appearance: poured into ale asylum pint glass...clear golden orange body that shines in the sunlight, very light beige froth head. pretty standard for the style

smell: malty and corny, maibock sweetness...difficult to make out anything overly distinct

taste: sweet bready malts, green apple, corn and grain. not offensive but not a sparkling interpretation

mouthfeel: medium-ligh, slick

drinkability: fine

dirtylou, Apr 03, 2008

Poured into a mug.

A: Hazy golden color with a slight orange tint. Fizzy and bubbly white head had decent retention.

S: Fairly sweet nose with some toasty notes and a hint of ripe fruit. A distinct, almost chalky lager aroma is also noticeable.

T: Again, somewhat sweet to start, with an almost puckering, fruity quality. Minimal hop bitterness. Also present is a strange, soap-like quality, which I know is no fault of the glass, which I carefully washed and rinsed. Interesting to say the least.

M: Substantial enough, yet still on the heavier side of light-bodied. Pretty decent carbonation with a wet, cleansing finish.

D: Drinks easily enough. An okay warm-weather choice.

Other than that strange taste I detected, nothing too particularly memorable about this beer. Pretty easy drinking and I managed to enjoy the overall experience. Not sure that I would purchase again.

PirateUlf73, May 01, 2009

cliff1066, Apr 29, 2013
3.63/5  rDev +10%

Poured from a brown 12 oz. bottle. Has a rich golden color with a 1 inch head, considerable lacing throughout. Smell is full of malts, somewhat sweet. Taste is also malty, sweet, some hops are present, good flavor. Feels medium bodied in the mouth and is very drinkable. Overall this is a good quality beer.

tone77, Mar 07, 2011

Segelstrom, Jul 23, 2014
3.75/5  rDev +13.6%

notched feb 10

pours clear bright gold with a 1+ finger head that left no lacing

smells very bready lots of cereal grains

taste is again is very bready and sweat with some fruity hop semi bitter hops with a bit of an apple flavor

mouthfeel is light medium - very smooth with good carbonation

drinkability is good and would seek out this maibock next year

jsh420, Jun 07, 2010
3.58/5  rDev +8.5%

Very nice,clear,carbonated yellow body that sits beneath a thick white head that falls pretty fast.

There is a distinct smell there.It has a sour smell.

There is a sour taste to this so Im not sure if its bad or if its the way it taste.There is some nice malt to it at the begining.

Nice carbonation and easy to drink.

I dont think I would be able to drink to many of these in a sitting due to the sourness.

MmmIPA, Mar 24, 2008
3.68/5  rDev +11.5%

Color: brilliantly clear, slightly burnished gold

Smell: strong malt presence with low DMS and a hint of fruitiness. some toast and melanoidin presence. low amounts of spicy hops

Taste: rich Pils malt character with notes of toast and some melanoidins and a moderate presence of spicy/peppery hops. light DMS flavor. medium bitterness. finish is somewhat dry with both malt and hop presence

Mouthfeel: low-medium to medium body. moderately carbonated.

Notes: a good strong, malty lager with a bit of spicy flavor from hops

Frosty80, Mar 24, 2010
3.75/5  rDev +13.6%

tommy5, Jun 10, 2014

maxwelldeux, Jun 03, 2013

HardyA, Apr 21, 2013
3.6/5  rDev +9.1%

Clear dark brass with a fine tan head that leaves sliding lace on the glass. Green apple skin and creamed corn in the nose. Thankfully this brew tastes way better than it smells. Untoasted grainy flavors with citric and floral hop notes in the finish. Light bodied with mild carbonation. Pretty easy drinking for a relatively strong Maibock.

biggred1, Apr 26, 2010
4.48/5  rDev +35.8%

I picked up a six pack of Atwater's Maibock last week for $9.99 at Meijers. I have never had this style before and I didn't even know Atwater made one till I saw it on the shelf, so lets see how it goes. 2012 spring release, bottled Feb. 2012. Poured from a brown 12oz bottle into a imperial pint glass.

A- It has the same old label that most of their beers have, but for some reason the blue color really looks good on the label and it catches the eye, I like it. It poured a nice slightly hazy golden yellow color that looked pretty nice and it had three fingers worth of fluffy white head that died down to a thin layer that stayed till the end and left some nice rings of lacing. This a good looking beer, no complaints.

S- The aroma starts off with a very noticeable bubblegum aroma that I like and have never had a beer where the bubblegum aroma stands out as much as it does. Following that is some bready and sweet grainy aromas that go nicely with the bubblegum. I also pick up some earthy hops towards the end. This beer has a very good and unique aroma, I can't stop smelling it.

T- The taste is somewhat similar to the aroma but it isn't as heavy on the bubblegum as the aroma was. It starts out with loads of nice grainy malts that impart some grain and lots of bread and biscuit flavors. After that comes a slight sweet flavor followed by a small amount of bubble gum that leads back into some more bready malts. Towards the end I get some earthy and slightly grassy hops that impart a medium amount of bitterness that brings some nice balance and it has a very bready aftertaste. I enjoyed the flavor of this beer, the flavors were clean and simple, with just enough bitterness to balance everything out,, very well done.

M- Very smooth, a little creamy, crisp, refreshing, on the lighter side of being medium bodied and it had just the right amount of medium carbonation. The mouthfeel worked very well with this beer, I found nothing wrong with it.

Overall I have to say that I was pretty surprised with this beer and I ended up really liking it and I thought it was a pretty damn good Maibock, I don't have any experience with this style but I really like the fact that it is suppose to be a drinkable spring beer, flavorful but light enough to enjoy a few during the day while chilling outside, this beer has inspired me to seek out more of this style and try some traditional Maibocks. This beer was super drinkable, it never lasts long in my glass and goes great with some grilling outside and it paired great with some beer brats, I could drink a six pack of this throughout the day if I wanted to, as far as Bocks go I don't think they get much more drinkable then this. What I liked most about this beer was everything, this beer was firing on all cylinders and I thought every aspect was well done. There wasn't anything I didn't like about this beer, I couldn't find anything at all that was wrong with it, which isn't all that common. I will be buying more of this and have already got another six pack, I think everyone should give this beer a try, even my mom liked it and that doesn't happen often. I was really impressed with this beer, Atwater has a way of disappointing me a couple times in a row and just when I start to lower my expectations they come out of nowhere with an unexpectedly great beer, and that was the case with this beer, a very pleasant surprise. I can't say enough good things about this beer, and I am glad I took a chance on it, good job guys, this may be my choice beverage of the spring. So far this is my favorite Maibock, and one of my favorite beers from Atwater. All in all a great beer

StoutHunter, Mar 25, 2012
3.68/5  rDev +11.5%

This is quite an interesting brew. Right when I took the cap off I caught a hint of sewage. I thought it must have been me so I poured the beer like I normally would, not forcefully but nice and easy down the side of the pint glass. At about an inch of actual beer the head blew up and shot to the top of the glass. Huge head! This is bigger than a Duvel. Took a while to pour because the head didn't want to go away. The beer itself is a clear orangish yellow.

Smells like, well...with the huge head on top I caught hints of sewage, sweet kimchi, really dark yellow urine and sweet pear juice. Very weird. It got better as the head fell. Turns into a champaigne scent with some pear.

Tastes much much better. A lot of sweet malt with some pear juice. Bready like a helles but not quite as yeasty in the taste. Slight bubble gum flavor in the finish with a little bit of citrus bite to it. I really like the flavor, different and full. Reminds me of champaigne at times.

The beer is full bodied. Coats the mouth and still has quite a bit of carbonation even after the initial explosion.

I would definately recommend this brew. I may have received a bad bottle, but the taste is good. I just have to get past the first few sniffs.

dren, Oct 31, 2007
4.11/5  rDev +24.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

I am going to prefice that I am having this out in the shed with a pipe of Massanutten. So now down to business, I enjoyed the initial sensation of taste with the Black Keys killing it to Little Black Submarines. It was refreshing for a 7.5%. The nose was lacking for me, but the back door caused the score, with a bit of Floyd playing, I liked it's finish. Cheers.

jss79, May 19, 2013
3.43/5  rDev +3.9%

On-Tap

Atwater Maibock poured a slightly cloudy peach like gold color into a pilsner glass forming a nice 2-finger white head that left behind nice rings of lacing. The nose is mild, smells of sweet malt, and a little bready. The taste is similar to the nose but a little heavier with the sweet malt upfront followed by grassy hop bitterness. The mouth feel is, smooth, crisp and dry from the hops
To date, Atwater Maibock is my favorite Atwater brew – worth a try if you like the style.

bushbeer75, Oct 12, 2012
3.58/5  rDev +8.5%

Pours hazy amber color which clears up a little after it settles and had a two finger creamy foamy tan head that lasted a few minutes; good lacing that left layers.

Smells of malt, hops and caramel; very mild nose, but decent overall.

Tastes of sweet malt, lemon, light floral hops, caramel, grains, yeast, grape and vanilla; sweet malty ending that trails with a crisp grainy finish.

Mouthfeel is smooth and light, almost creamy; very mild carbonation that goes down silky smooth with an almost watery feel.

Very drinkable with a nice balance that is malt centric and showed no signs of the 7.5% ABV. Overall a good beer.

CHickman, Sep 28, 2010