Atwater Maibock - Atwater Brewery

Atwater MaibockAtwater Maibock

Atwater Brewery visit their website

Maibock / Helles Bock |  7.50% ABV

Availability: Spring

(Beer added by: walleye on 06-15-2006)
chriszuma

07-06-2014 23:52:35 | More by chriszuma
wrightst

Maryland

4.5/5  rDev +36.4%

06-06-2014 02:19:17 | More by wrightst
StoutHunter

4.48/5  rDev +35.8%

I picked up a six pack of Atwater's Maibock last week for $9.99 at Meijers. I have never had this style before and I didn't even know Atwater made one till I saw it on the shelf, so lets see how it goes. 2012 spring release, bottled Feb. 2012. Poured from a brown 12oz bottle into a imperial pint glass.

A- It has the same old label that most of their beers have, but for some reason the blue color really looks good on the label and it catches the eye, I like it. It poured a nice slightly hazy golden yellow color that looked pretty nice and it had three fingers worth of fluffy white head that died down to a thin layer that stayed till the end and left some nice rings of lacing. This a good looking beer, no complaints.

S- The aroma starts off with a very noticeable bubblegum aroma that I like and have never had a beer where the bubblegum aroma stands out as much as it does. Following that is some bready and sweet grainy aromas that go nicely with the bubblegum. I also pick up some earthy hops towards the end. This beer has a very good and unique aroma, I can't stop smelling it.

T- The taste is somewhat similar to the aroma but it isn't as heavy on the bubblegum as the aroma was. It starts out with loads of nice grainy malts that impart some grain and lots of bread and biscuit flavors. After that comes a slight sweet flavor followed by a small amount of bubble gum that leads back into some more bready malts. Towards the end I get some earthy and slightly grassy hops that impart a medium amount of bitterness that brings some nice balance and it has a very bready aftertaste. I enjoyed the flavor of this beer, the flavors were clean and simple, with just enough bitterness to balance everything out,, very well done.

M- Very smooth, a little creamy, crisp, refreshing, on the lighter side of being medium bodied and it had just the right amount of medium carbonation. The mouthfeel worked very well with this beer, I found nothing wrong with it.

Overall I have to say that I was pretty surprised with this beer and I ended up really liking it and I thought it was a pretty damn good Maibock, I don't have any experience with this style but I really like the fact that it is suppose to be a drinkable spring beer, flavorful but light enough to enjoy a few during the day while chilling outside, this beer has inspired me to seek out more of this style and try some traditional Maibocks. This beer was super drinkable, it never lasts long in my glass and goes great with some grilling outside and it paired great with some beer brats, I could drink a six pack of this throughout the day if I wanted to, as far as Bocks go I don't think they get much more drinkable then this. What I liked most about this beer was everything, this beer was firing on all cylinders and I thought every aspect was well done. There wasn't anything I didn't like about this beer, I couldn't find anything at all that was wrong with it, which isn't all that common. I will be buying more of this and have already got another six pack, I think everyone should give this beer a try, even my mom liked it and that doesn't happen often. I was really impressed with this beer, Atwater has a way of disappointing me a couple times in a row and just when I start to lower my expectations they come out of nowhere with an unexpectedly great beer, and that was the case with this beer, a very pleasant surprise. I can't say enough good things about this beer, and I am glad I took a chance on it, good job guys, this may be my choice beverage of the spring. So far this is my favorite Maibock, and one of my favorite beers from Atwater. All in all a great beer

03-25-2012 03:52:45 | More by StoutHunter
malty

4.25/5  rDev +28.8%

Pours a clear golden color with a loose bright white 1/2" head. Medium amount of lace.

Sweet pale malts in the nose engulfed in a sweet honey scent. After a few brisk swirls of my pounder pint glass, I experience a heavenly honey glazed roasted almond smell - very wonderful.

The flavors are sweet pale malts (once again) with a soft malty backbone atop a slightly prickly hop dryness that gives way more to mouthfeel than to flavor, but just enough hop presence to keep the sweet malts from becoming too overpowering. There's a faint astringent alcohol presence at the end that's pronounced with dryness rather than a warming sensation. Honey and earthy elements are in here as well.

Mouthfeel is spectacular. The carbonation is very fine and active, but definitely knows its place. A well placed dryness at the finish that's quick and to the point. On the lighter side of medium bodied.

Drinkablility is absurd. I could easily drink 3-4 of these on a hot day with no problem. Quenching and satisfying.

Overall a very nice helles bock. I love how the finish is dry and everything leading up to the finish is sweet and delicate. Quite a beautifully balanced spot-on domestic rendition of a hard-to-nail style. Excellent for sure!

06-26-2006 01:40:49 | More by malty
pmcadamis

4.2/5  rDev +27.3%

A - Exceptionally clear carrot-orange brew with a firm one finger head that recedes to a sliver of a cap. A swirl brings back a full finger and leaves some sudsy looking lace on the glass.

S - Nice caramel and toffee malt up front. Carrot cake and caramel candy aromas. Rich and a little bit fruity.

T - A continuation of the nose in that it's very malty, cakey and bready. It builds on the malty foundation with hints of pear and apricot along with some nice hop presence toward the finish.

M - Full bodied, chewy, but slick on the palate. This just feels like it's got a lot of taste packed into it. Really honey-thick and heavy in the mouth.

D - Nearly perfect. An excellent spring sipper! I'll most likely be picking up a six of this soon.

05-23-2007 17:54:02 | More by pmcadamis
jss79

Maryland

4.11/5  rDev +24.5%

I am going to prefice that I am having this out in the shed with a pipe of Massanutten. So now down to business, I enjoyed the initial sensation of taste with the Black Keys killing it to Little Black Submarines. It was refreshing for a 7.5%. The nose was lacking for me, but the back door caused the score, with a bit of Floyd playing, I liked it's finish. Cheers.

05-19-2013 01:23:54 | More by jss79
CurtFromHershey

4.05/5  rDev +22.7%

Pours a fizzy straw. Good clarity, but the small bubbly head is not overly appealing.

Smell is biscuits, biscuits, and more biscuits - just what a maibock should be. Hint of grape too.

Taste is bready like the nose, clean finish. Very true to style. Digging this.

Mouthfeel is smooth, drinkable, and less thin than the appearance would lead on.

Really surprised to see the low ratings for this beer. Really a strong showing for an american maibock.

04-11-2013 23:25:06 | More by CurtFromHershey
Segelstrom

07-23-2014 00:53:45 | More by Segelstrom
redmaw

05-08-2014 01:11:45 | More by redmaw
proc

Pours out to a bright and dense yellow in the glass with a good-sized head. The aroma is slightly sweet, with a faint hint of marshmallows coming to the forefront. The taste is very good, with a slight sweetness on the sip giving way to a nice dose of hops on the swallow that turn off that sweetness. This tastes like a fully loaded lager. I dig it. Nicely done.

03-23-2008 18:38:36 | More by proc
michiganbeer_man

08-06-2014 03:56:46 | More by michiganbeer_man
adamant1912

04-20-2013 00:13:50 | More by adamant1912
berserker256

3.98/5  rDev +20.6%

A little sweeter and hoppier than typical bocks. Lighter in color as well. It's got a fruity-like aftertaste. This beer is not as harsh or muddy as some seven-and-a-half percent alcohol beers. I like it. I like it quite a bit. I'm going to open another right now and support our struggling Detroit economy.

06-29-2007 21:26:10 | More by berserker256
PSUDREW

3.8/5  rDev +15.2%

pours a nice golden color. bone colored head, nice amount of foaming and some lace.
floral nose, but nothing really to it.
Nice taste. very sweet and malty, finished with a nice crisp hop taste. Good combo, with hints of ginger in there.
Sweet,clean, and crisp, all in all a very good beer to sit and enjoy any time of the year. get it if you are in the mood for something drinkable and flavor filled

05-27-2007 04:36:57 | More by PSUDREW
jsh420

notched feb 10

pours clear bright gold with a 1+ finger head that left no lacing

smells very bready lots of cereal grains

taste is again is very bready and sweat with some fruity hop semi bitter hops with a bit of an apple flavor

mouthfeel is light medium - very smooth with good carbonation

drinkability is good and would seek out this maibock next year

06-07-2010 03:52:46 | More by jsh420
tommy5

06-10-2014 02:34:57 | More by tommy5
profholt82

06-01-2014 01:47:00 | More by profholt82
sopor

Oregon

3.75/5  rDev +13.6%

Crystal-clear yellow with a thing slightly off-white head. Spicy hop is most prevelant on the nose, all bu hiding a candy-sweet malt note. Light sweet malt is accompanied by a hint of champagne-like esthers. Perhaps this is still a little young?, it tastes slightly acedylhyde-like. Hops are spicy and pleasantly bitter. Lightish body, pleasantly active carbonation makes for a very refreshing brew. Very drinkable, perhaps this needs handling differently. or perhaps the bottle was "off" but minus the champagne/acetylhyde, this would have been spectacular!

07-25-2006 19:38:42 | More by sopor

Doublicious

04-17-2014 22:34:31 | More by Doublicious
Frosty80

3.68/5  rDev +11.5%

Color: brilliantly clear, slightly burnished gold

Smell: strong malt presence with low DMS and a hint of fruitiness. some toast and melanoidin presence. low amounts of spicy hops

Taste: rich Pils malt character with notes of toast and some melanoidins and a moderate presence of spicy/peppery hops. light DMS flavor. medium bitterness. finish is somewhat dry with both malt and hop presence

Mouthfeel: low-medium to medium body. moderately carbonated.

Notes: a good strong, malty lager with a bit of spicy flavor from hops

03-24-2010 19:16:39 | More by Frosty80
dren

Indiana

3.68/5  rDev +11.5%

This is quite an interesting brew. Right when I took the cap off I caught a hint of sewage. I thought it must have been me so I poured the beer like I normally would, not forcefully but nice and easy down the side of the pint glass. At about an inch of actual beer the head blew up and shot to the top of the glass. Huge head! This is bigger than a Duvel. Took a while to pour because the head didn't want to go away. The beer itself is a clear orangish yellow.

Smells like, well...with the huge head on top I caught hints of sewage, sweet kimchi, really dark yellow urine and sweet pear juice. Very weird. It got better as the head fell. Turns into a champaigne scent with some pear.

Tastes much much better. A lot of sweet malt with some pear juice. Bready like a helles but not quite as yeasty in the taste. Slight bubble gum flavor in the finish with a little bit of citrus bite to it. I really like the flavor, different and full. Reminds me of champaigne at times.

The beer is full bodied. Coats the mouth and still has quite a bit of carbonation even after the initial explosion.

I would definately recommend this brew. I may have received a bad bottle, but the taste is good. I just have to get past the first few sniffs.

10-31-2007 22:22:34 | More by dren
BMoney575

3.65/5  rDev +10.6%

Sampled on 6-13-07

Pours a crystal clear gold, with a nice bubbly head that sticks around.

Smell is bready and slightly sweet. A light amount of hops is in there too.

Taste is good, sweet and malty with a good grassy hop kick at the end. The finish is smooth and clean, with a little breadiness.

Mouthfeel is good, spicy carbonation balances the sweet malt.

Drinkabiltiy is good, although it's definately on the sweet side. A good lager with lots of flavor, good for summertime.

06-14-2007 00:14:05 | More by BMoney575
tone77

3.63/5  rDev +10%

Poured from a brown 12 oz. bottle. Has a rich golden color with a 1 inch head, considerable lacing throughout. Smell is full of malts, somewhat sweet. Taste is also malty, sweet, some hops are present, good flavor. Feels medium bodied in the mouth and is very drinkable. Overall this is a good quality beer.

03-07-2011 13:49:25 | More by tone77