Atwater Maibock - Atwater Brewery

Atwater MaibockAtwater Maibock

Atwater Brewery visit their website

Maibock / Helles Bock |  7.50% ABV

Availability: Spring

(Beer added by: walleye on 06-15-2006)
morebeergood

3.53/5  rDev +7%

Picked up a six pack on sale for $6.99. Poured into a Brit style pint glass. Bottled in March 2012. Bright yellow orange color. Good lacing on the glass. Clear body with good carbonation. Smell had a hint of grapefruit and musty hay. Taste was good, as I liked the really malty flavor. Mouthfeel was a bit on the sticky side, though. I found this maibock to be a pretty smooth beer to drink considering the well hidden abv. Not a bad find for the price and with that strength, it held up pretty well over the course of spring into summer.

07-25-2012 04:06:10 | More by morebeergood
j89de

07-08-2012 12:46:50 | More by j89de
MasterSki

Ontario (Canada)

3.13/5  rDev -5.2%

Extra from FlandersNed. Served in an Alchemist pint glass.

A - Extremely attractive and ample white foam settles to a thin cap, thick collar, and a few splotches of lace. Transparent golden body.

S - Sharp cereal grains, slightly skunky hops, toasted bread, but thankfully minimal alcohol presence. Gets a bit better as it warms up.

T - Flavor is quite similar, with toasted grains, and some lightly fruity malts that suggest pear and apricots. A tad metallic as well.

M - Smooth medium body that is slightly watery, with lower carbonation, and minimal alcohol warmth.

D - This isn't very good, even for a style that I'm lukewarm about to begin with. The main redeeming element is the well-hidden alcohol.

07-05-2012 14:26:04 | More by MasterSki
warnerry

3.03/5  rDev -8.2%

A - Pours a deep golden brown with one finger of white head. Head fades pretty quickly and leaves very little lacing. Also has a lot of suspended material, which is interesting for a lager...

S - Bubblegum, toasted grain and a faint amount of citrus. Pretty good.

T - Taste is similar to smell, with the addition of an unfortunate unpleasant metallic taste, and some herbal hops. Alcohol is not really apparent.

M - Medium mouthfeel is a bit sweet initially, and finishes earthy and dry, again a bit metallic.

O - Not a bad beer, but this is a style I like quite a bit, and this one doesn't really stand out. Also, the metallic aspect really knocks it down a notch.

05-27-2012 17:13:53 | More by warnerry
songoose

05-19-2012 23:21:11 | More by songoose
ChrisPratz

3.55/5  rDev +7.6%

First Maibock style beer. Gonna be reading up on the style as I review this. Bottle caught my eye on the Build-A-Sixer table, and it was the only one of its kinda that I saw.

A: Pours a nice golden color, with a slight haze to it. Less then a finger's worth of head quickly faded into a nice lace that stuck well to the sides about 1/3 the way thru.

S: Some sweet bready/yeastiness coming thru; actually reminds me of walking into an Auntie Anne's Pretzel Shop when they are working full blast making pretzels. Becomes more prominent as the beer warms. Also picking up some hints of maybe apple/pear? Not totally sure but its close.

T: Interesting flavor. Hops flavor comes thru at the get-go but then leads to a bready taste. Not very sweet like I anticipated from the smell, I think the best I can compare this too is a raison scone or some other dry pastry. Seems like theres a very slight hint of maybe black cherry trying to come thru. Its there for a second but disappears before I can put a finger on it. Maybe an anise cookie?

M: Average carbonation, crisp at first and halfway thru, then moves to a dry feel at the end.

O: Not quite what I was expecting. Nose teases you about a sweetness that never really shows. Def interesting with the breadiness though. I still can't place it other then the two pastries I mentioned above. Curious what other thought of this. Also very interested in trying some other Maibocks to compare. Will def keep an eye open from now on.

04-15-2012 00:39:54 | More by ChrisPratz
StoutHunter

4.48/5  rDev +35.8%

I picked up a six pack of Atwater's Maibock last week for $9.99 at Meijers. I have never had this style before and I didn't even know Atwater made one till I saw it on the shelf, so lets see how it goes. 2012 spring release, bottled Feb. 2012. Poured from a brown 12oz bottle into a imperial pint glass.

A- It has the same old label that most of their beers have, but for some reason the blue color really looks good on the label and it catches the eye, I like it. It poured a nice slightly hazy golden yellow color that looked pretty nice and it had three fingers worth of fluffy white head that died down to a thin layer that stayed till the end and left some nice rings of lacing. This a good looking beer, no complaints.

S- The aroma starts off with a very noticeable bubblegum aroma that I like and have never had a beer where the bubblegum aroma stands out as much as it does. Following that is some bready and sweet grainy aromas that go nicely with the bubblegum. I also pick up some earthy hops towards the end. This beer has a very good and unique aroma, I can't stop smelling it.

T- The taste is somewhat similar to the aroma but it isn't as heavy on the bubblegum as the aroma was. It starts out with loads of nice grainy malts that impart some grain and lots of bread and biscuit flavors. After that comes a slight sweet flavor followed by a small amount of bubble gum that leads back into some more bready malts. Towards the end I get some earthy and slightly grassy hops that impart a medium amount of bitterness that brings some nice balance and it has a very bready aftertaste. I enjoyed the flavor of this beer, the flavors were clean and simple, with just enough bitterness to balance everything out,, very well done.

M- Very smooth, a little creamy, crisp, refreshing, on the lighter side of being medium bodied and it had just the right amount of medium carbonation. The mouthfeel worked very well with this beer, I found nothing wrong with it.

Overall I have to say that I was pretty surprised with this beer and I ended up really liking it and I thought it was a pretty damn good Maibock, I don't have any experience with this style but I really like the fact that it is suppose to be a drinkable spring beer, flavorful but light enough to enjoy a few during the day while chilling outside, this beer has inspired me to seek out more of this style and try some traditional Maibocks. This beer was super drinkable, it never lasts long in my glass and goes great with some grilling outside and it paired great with some beer brats, I could drink a six pack of this throughout the day if I wanted to, as far as Bocks go I don't think they get much more drinkable then this. What I liked most about this beer was everything, this beer was firing on all cylinders and I thought every aspect was well done. There wasn't anything I didn't like about this beer, I couldn't find anything at all that was wrong with it, which isn't all that common. I will be buying more of this and have already got another six pack, I think everyone should give this beer a try, even my mom liked it and that doesn't happen often. I was really impressed with this beer, Atwater has a way of disappointing me a couple times in a row and just when I start to lower my expectations they come out of nowhere with an unexpectedly great beer, and that was the case with this beer, a very pleasant surprise. I can't say enough good things about this beer, and I am glad I took a chance on it, good job guys, this may be my choice beverage of the spring. So far this is my favorite Maibock, and one of my favorite beers from Atwater. All in all a great beer

03-25-2012 03:52:45 | More by StoutHunter
oberon

3.53/5  rDev +7%

Poured one and a half bottles into a half liter stein with a full golden/brass color with a blooming one and a half finger white head atop.Toasted grain sweetish alcohol in the nose,a faint iron note as well.Not as full and sweet as alot of maibocks but it's got a nice firm toastiness and a tinge of anise,it misses on some character traits but hits on a few others.Not as full as I would have liked in the mouthfeel but I think it's a little better than the ratings may suggest,not top tier but ok...

03-19-2012 21:23:37 | More by oberon
cynical1027

02-21-2012 03:06:50 | More by cynical1027
brentk56

3.08/5  rDev -6.7%

Appearance: Bursts out with a massive head that sits atop the hazy golden liquid; looks good once it settles down but way too much head at the outset

Smell: Bread and butterscotch

Taste: Bready opening, but the butterscotch quickly becomes dominant; by mid-palate, there is a developing herbacious character that becomes somewhat grainy in the finish, though the sweetness lingers in the back along with some fusel alcohol

Mouthfeel: Medium body with moderate to high carbonation; some warmth in the gullet

Overall: Looking over the reviews, this beer may have improved over the last few years but it is still not anywhere near the top of list for the style

05-04-2011 00:54:58 | More by brentk56
tone77

3.63/5  rDev +10%

Poured from a brown 12 oz. bottle. Has a rich golden color with a 1 inch head, considerable lacing throughout. Smell is full of malts, somewhat sweet. Taste is also malty, sweet, some hops are present, good flavor. Feels medium bodied in the mouth and is very drinkable. Overall this is a good quality beer.

03-07-2011 13:49:25 | More by tone77
CHickman

3.58/5  rDev +8.5%

Pours hazy amber color which clears up a little after it settles and had a two finger creamy foamy tan head that lasted a few minutes; good lacing that left layers.

Smells of malt, hops and caramel; very mild nose, but decent overall.

Tastes of sweet malt, lemon, light floral hops, caramel, grains, yeast, grape and vanilla; sweet malty ending that trails with a crisp grainy finish.

Mouthfeel is smooth and light, almost creamy; very mild carbonation that goes down silky smooth with an almost watery feel.

Very drinkable with a nice balance that is malt centric and showed no signs of the 7.5% ABV. Overall a good beer.

09-28-2010 02:04:33 | More by CHickman
mostpoetsdo

Rhode Island

3.58/5  rDev +8.5%

A: Pours a clear brownish gold, with big head up front, but dissipates quickly into, well, nothing. Some sediment floating around as well.

S: Incredibly malty. Has a nice biscuity/bready smell, with a definite fruity scent in the background.

T: Follows the nose closely. Huge amount of malt, but big time apple flavor too, which is welcomed. A lot of sweet caramel in there.

M: Very well carbonated, ends up being almost creamy.

D: Pretty high, especially for 7% ABV. Worth a try.

07-05-2010 01:10:59 | More by mostpoetsdo
wcintula

3.23/5  rDev -2.1%

Poured decently from the tap, not much head, so it just looks like a fuller glass, yay. Golden in color, cloudy in transparency. No smell that I can detect. Tastes sweet and bready, maybe yeasty, with a decent feel to it. Smooth and easy, a carbonation level to my preference, more moderate to low from this experience. I could barely believe the %ABV on this one because it was a very easy drink. It seems a very average beer, but there's an easiness to it that'l' have me order it again next time I see it, or pick it up if I see it in a bottle. This beer is very much worth a try.

06-16-2010 07:11:10 | More by wcintula
jsh420

3.75/5  rDev +13.6%

notched feb 10

pours clear bright gold with a 1+ finger head that left no lacing

smells very bready lots of cereal grains

taste is again is very bready and sweat with some fruity hop semi bitter hops with a bit of an apple flavor

mouthfeel is light medium - very smooth with good carbonation

drinkability is good and would seek out this maibock next year

06-07-2010 03:52:46 | More by jsh420
TheGordianKnot

Tennessee

3.25/5  rDev -1.5%

A- light golden color with a small head that quickly settles to a bubbly film...

S- Smell like a bit sweeter than I am used to in a bock, but not in a bad way. Some malts are evident but little overpowered by a very sweet honey aroma.

T/M- Interesting taste... it is fairly bitter for a bock, but not hop bitterness it seems. It is hard to describe, but the it tastes like a very bitter malt flavor. It ends with a sweeter honey taste. Awkward tasting to a degree, but it is really hard to explain, because we all seemed to like it. Not much carbonation in this beer- mouthfeel is little below average.

D- decent drinkability... It is on the light side, so it goes down easy, but the flavor is only interesting for one or two beers. After that I would get sick of it

04-30-2010 22:45:31 | More by TheGordianKnot
biggred1

Indiana

3.6/5  rDev +9.1%

Clear dark brass with a fine tan head that leaves sliding lace on the glass. Green apple skin and creamed corn in the nose. Thankfully this brew tastes way better than it smells. Untoasted grainy flavors with citric and floral hop notes in the finish. Light bodied with mild carbonation. Pretty easy drinking for a relatively strong Maibock.

04-25-2010 23:21:05 | More by biggred1
david131

3.08/5  rDev -6.7%

A- A clear light orange liquid with a thin and splotchy white head and some streams of carbonation. Looks a bit limp.

S- Honey, almonds, butter, and caramel. Smells relatively light.

T- Sweet fruits, a touch of alcohol, and caramel.

M- A bit astringent from the alcohol. Not very good.

D- Not terrible, but not something I would seek out again. Drinks alright for the ABV.

04-04-2010 03:12:17 | More by david131
Frosty80

3.68/5  rDev +11.5%

Color: brilliantly clear, slightly burnished gold

Smell: strong malt presence with low DMS and a hint of fruitiness. some toast and melanoidin presence. low amounts of spicy hops

Taste: rich Pils malt character with notes of toast and some melanoidins and a moderate presence of spicy/peppery hops. light DMS flavor. medium bitterness. finish is somewhat dry with both malt and hop presence

Mouthfeel: low-medium to medium body. moderately carbonated.

Notes: a good strong, malty lager with a bit of spicy flavor from hops

03-24-2010 19:16:39 | More by Frosty80
JordanEllwanger

3.5/5  rDev +6.1%

A perfect transparent amber toned copper body with a very slight off white head. Smells very malty with a tiny hint of hops. Taste is very malty and a good blend. Reminds me of A little bit of an English ale. Somewhat of a bitter bite with the after taste. Not a bad brew.
Cheers.

03-14-2010 02:47:16 | More by JordanEllwanger
PirateUlf73

Poured into a mug.

A: Hazy golden color with a slight orange tint. Fizzy and bubbly white head had decent retention.

S: Fairly sweet nose with some toasty notes and a hint of ripe fruit. A distinct, almost chalky lager aroma is also noticeable.

T: Again, somewhat sweet to start, with an almost puckering, fruity quality. Minimal hop bitterness. Also present is a strange, soap-like quality, which I know is no fault of the glass, which I carefully washed and rinsed. Interesting to say the least.

M: Substantial enough, yet still on the heavier side of light-bodied. Pretty decent carbonation with a wet, cleansing finish.

D: Drinks easily enough. An okay warm-weather choice.

Other than that strange taste I detected, nothing too particularly memorable about this beer. Pretty easy drinking and I managed to enjoy the overall experience. Not sure that I would purchase again.

05-01-2009 06:39:33 | More by PirateUlf73
hopdog

3.15/5  rDev -4.5%

12oz bottle.

This one poured a medium and hazy golden color wih a large sized off whte head. Aromas of grain, caramel, citrus, lightly spicey and grassy. Tastes of citrus (sour lemons), ligthly spicey and bready. Alcohol content hidden.

Notes from 5/24/07

11-21-2008 15:09:21 | More by hopdog
BEERchitect

Kentucky

3.25/5  rDev -1.5%

Quite a tasty little brew. There are a lot of very sweet fruit flavors: pears, peaches, apples, and appricots. Very candied with confectionate sugars. The nose suggests that this beer is too sweet to enjoy, but the delicate candied malts and fruits prove otherwise. The appearance worried me at first with an over-carbonated pour that led me to think that an infection may have occured, but this was not the case. A bold, white, loose-knit head formation reminded me a bit of Duvel, but the retention proved to be merely mortal. The beer feels a bit syrupy sweet, leaving it not well attenuated so the mouthfeel gives up what the rich flavors gain. I get only a subtle corn taste late that most BA's describe as dominant- perhaps the 6 months+ age has helped out. Finishes sweet, a bit tacky, and... well fruity-- makes me wonder the temperature or yeast that they used for fermentation. If you like sweet, low-hopped ales, this may be up your alley.

08-12-2008 03:44:24 | More by BEERchitect
BuckeyeNation

Iowa

1.58/5  rDev -52.1%

Polished tangerine with goldenrod borders. Atop the pristine liquid sits three fingers of manila colored foam that is whipped creamy and displays admirable persistence. A wide band of lace is beginning to appear as the head slowly melts. Could this possibly be a good beer from Atwater Block? Hard to imagine.

Uh... no. Not even close. How can a beer that looks this good smell this bad? The aroma is akin to moldy creamed corn stored too long in its tin can. Where is the malt, the hops, the beer-like qualities. I have now become a little afraid of upending the glass.

Atwater Block Mai-Bock tastes as bad as it smells. Since I can't improve on the above description, I won't try. Just think of any rotting vegetable matter made into a lightly sweet liquid and you'll get some idea of how this crap tastes. The only question is whether or not it deserves the lowest possible score.

Although I can't keep from hesitating each time the glass nears my lips... and can't keep from grimacing each time beer contacts taste buds... and since I've had worse... I'll have to go with the next-to-lowest score. Drinkability, however, is another story. Is another sip really necessary to assess the mouthfeel? Here goes...

Not impressed. It's too thin, though not watery, and is lazily carbonated. Forget further detail because I refuse to punish myself by drinking any more of this nauseating beer.

I'm flabbergasted that Atwater Block continues to keep their doors open. Mai-Bock is my seventh brew from this brewery and is the worst of a very nasty lot. What are the odds that I've gotten ahold of seven (seven!) bad bottles... from three different stores... in two different states... at two separate times? Since Cold Spring (formerly Gluek) has improved some of their products, I hereby nominate these guys for America's worst microbrewery. Gack!

08-03-2008 12:58:01 | More by BuckeyeNation
montageman

2.63/5  rDev -20.3%

Poured into a pint glass.

Not sure what I was expecting with this beer. Atwater has let me down in the past, but this beer is different. It's not bad by any means. The golden color is offset by the huge white head that sticks around forever - it took me at least an hour to drink this and the head never faded. There is plenty of carbonation, but that is subdued with time. Tropical fruit is on the nose - pineapple and maybe some banana. The taste is harder to place with nondescript flavors that are kind of mashed together, but it is distinctly sweet with a slightly bitter finish. Mouthfeel is fine - a little syrupy, but nothing great. It took me a while to finish this one and not because it's a sipper necessarily. The ABV is 7.5%, which is big enough to warrant sipping, but this beer does not get much better as it warms. A decent offering. Mild recommendation.

07-27-2008 01:53:42 | More by montageman