Atwater Vanilla Java Porter - Atwater Brewery

Atwater Brewery visit their website

American Porter |  4.80% ABV

Beer added by: ypsifly on 10-21-2006

Reviews: 503 | Hads: 1,564

A very delicious beer! Very smooth taste, no bitterness. Almost like drinking an actual java. A little filling, but that's to be expected from a porter.A nice social beer or during meal beer. Great work Atwater!!! I look forward to trying more of your craft beers. (264 characters)

Deeelicious is the one word I can come up with when asked to describe this humble brew. Of all the words that can be used to describe a drank, it is the most fitting. This beer gets a ten on the chug-scale (ladies), and the caffeine buzz is delightful. Sip hard.... (265 characters)

4.97/5  rDev +55.3%

This beer was recommended to me by the waitress and the restaurant I was at. It had an exceptional appearance in the glass, nice deep and robust looking. It had a nice head or tannish foam. I definately detected the vanilla and coffee aromas in it. I liked the way it finished and would reccommend it to anyone wno is a coffee and beer fanatic. (344 characters)

4.92/5  rDev +53.8%

I have been a big fan of porters and stout beers for the past few months. I love the hints of coffee and the thickness you get from a porter. After drinking this one I think I have found a new favorite. You can absolutely taste the vanilla and the coffee flavor is a little more pronounced than in other porters. The mouth feel is nice and thick an heavy. The smell is almost like that of an Irish coffee. This is a great beer to try if you are a fan of the Leinenkugel's Snowdrift Vanilla Porter. (503 characters)

4.92/5  rDev +53.8%

Appearance: Brownish black like mixing all your paints together. With a brown head almost has highlights of red and gold
Aroma: A great caramel malt with a coco sweet glow and some toffee notes and then the bittering hops
Taste: A great thick caramel coffee toffee rush that bashes into a great bittering hops with a clean finish into a thick head very creamy and the vanilla is subtle but present
Notes: A great porter reminds me of Rogue's American porter. And it came from Michigan! Still things can surprise me (517 characters)

4.92/5  rDev +53.8%

Pours black with a light brown head. Heavy lacing. Smells just as the name implies. Heavy coffee aroma with a hint of vanilla. Kind of smells like a coffee that has vanilla flavored creamer in it but transformed into a porter. Smells great. And tastes awesome. Tastes likes a perfectly brewed porter with the exact amount of coffee and vanilla flavor that there should be. Not too overpowering and not too faint. But exactly right. It has the consistancy of of thin fizzy milkshake. Very easy to drink. I think this beer's getting the highest rating I've ever given a beer and therefore must be my favorite beer. I have to say that I agree with that logic. This is my new favorite beer... Or at least a tie... (709 characters)

4.86/5  rDev +51.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 5

This beer is one of my top rated Porters. Some will love it because of the vanilla flavor and others will hate it for the same reason.

I don't enjoy a beer with a strong hops flavor. This beer is low on my hops scale so it is easy for me to enjoy.

On my grade scale, I rate this as a beer I would buy anytime. (313 characters)

4.82/5  rDev +50.6%

This is my favorite beer i discovered it a few months ago and pick up a draft every chance i get. I am not usually a huge fan of flavored beers but i feel that they nailed this one. It has a nice strong smell and taste of both coffee and vanilla. The appearance is a deep dark color almost that of a strong coffee. I am not totally sure how you would judge mouthfeel at this point but it seems smooth not too carbonated just a nice feel hopefully that is what is meant by this. I would highly rate this beer to anyone. I dont know how it is in a bottle i am trying to find some but on tap it is just great. (606 characters)

4.8/5  rDev +50%

Very pleased with the balance and overall taste of this fine beer. The color is black onyx, yet clear... not cloudy. The smell was very old world, with a hint of espresso. The taste reminded me of some of my first porters that were wonderful and full of mystery. Not real thick mouthfeel, just right.
Very nice beer to drink in the winter time! (345 characters)

4.65/5  rDev +45.3%

A: Thin light tan head that is retained long after pouring. Rich dark color.

S: Very strong vanilla notes. Don't smell much of the java.

T: Java flavor upfront followed by vanilla. Somewhat chocolatey malt flavor.

M: Just the right amount of carbonation.

O: This is a very good beer with if you like the vanilla taste. It's something a bit different from the ordinary that is still refreshing on a warm day. (411 characters)

4.64/5  rDev +45%

This beer came to me as a beer of the month offer. I received several beers from the Atwater brewing Co. I prefer pale ales generally but was happy to receive this one. This is a desert beer. After dinner instead of a cup of coffee try one of these. I'm not an advocate of "flavored beers" but this one is one I'd like to try again. Very smooth finish. (352 characters)

4.62/5  rDev +44.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I enjoy this beer quite a bit. It's got a hint of vanilla flavor and is pretty smooth. The taste isn't bitter and there is no aftertaste like some vanilla brews. This is my favorite from Atwater. (198 characters)

4.56/5  rDev +42.5%

Appearance: This bottle of beer wonderfulness pours a an extremely dark garnet with brown hues. On top of that is light foamy tan head about two fingers worth. This is one beer that I could gaze at for a while.

Aromas: A very light hop nose with the coffee and chocolate malts roaming all around. The vanilla beans it's brewed with top off all those scents like a cherry on an ice cream sundae.

Taste: The vanilla erupts from this beer like a volcano that has been resting for a hundred years. The chocolate malts dance around the palate ever so gracefully. It has a smooth texture on the palate with a little hint of crispness.

Notes: This one is so incredible for a cold fall or winter day or night to warm one up rather nicely. Cheers (741 characters)

4.51/5  rDev +40.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Delicious. Pours light dark almost amber-ish in color with a light tan head. Aromas of roasted coffee and chocolate, light vanilla. Taste is better then expected, sweet lightly robust yet still has that porter after taste along with with the vanilla n coffee bean taste. Very smooth n easily drinkable. On of my top choices (324 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +40.6%

Black as night. No head. Aroma of coffee, vanilla chocolate & malt. Vanilla dominates the taste and the coffee mixes in nicely. Light on hops. Super smooth, rich brew. Wonderful sipping beer. (191 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +40.6%

I'm very surprised at the average score for this beer. I had this in Pittsburgh on tap and I was blown away by the flavor. Most porters/beers that boast coffee or vanilla beans tend to let me down, but this one came through perfectly. You get the Vanilla in the mouthfeel but the coffee comes later in the finish. Perfect. Easy to drink and is now one of my favorites in this genre. (382 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +40.6%

This is a great porter bottle notched at jan 15 poured into a sniffer drank half of it cold taste like vanilla coffe with slight carbonation this is a solid coffe porter (169 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +40.6%

Had on tap at Grill One Eleven.

Appearance was a beautiful dark brown into black with a nice white head.

Smell was huge of coffee and chocolate.

Taste was sensational. Tons of sweetness with the coffee and chocolate but very well balanced and finished clean and smooth.

Mouthfeel was way lighter than one would expect from a porter (but in my opnion, in a good way). The lower and ABV and mouthfeel pairing with the awesome flavors makes this very crushable and I, personally, could sit and drink quite a few of these. Fantastic beer. (538 characters)

4.4/5  rDev +37.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

(From notes)

Appearance: Pours from the tap a near-opaque mahogany color. Head is frothy and rich, and leaves moderate lacing as it recedes.

Smell: High-quality pipe tobacco, vanilla bean and a rich malt nose. Perhaps a touch of hop action here as well.

Taste/Mouthfeel: Beer is thick, and coats the mouth with medium carbonatoin. Bitterness from hops and sweetness from the vanilla toy playfully with your taste buds. An intense kind of pipe tobacco feeling again here, didn't notice it when I had it in a bottle. Lots of bitterness, and a smooth finish. nice.

Drinkability: Too heavy to have more than two or three of, but definitely one of the better beers on tap locally. (679 characters)

4.39/5  rDev +37.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

On tap at The Raven, Port Huron, MI. Strong coffee and vanilla notes (as expected). More interesting than the average porter. Would definitely get this again. (161 characters)

4.34/5  rDev +35.6%

Appearance is a very thin tan head that quickly recedes. This stuff almost looks like Coca Cola in a glass. The color of the brew is a jet black. Smells of vanilla and coffee beans as you would expect. Nothing more to the smell other than that. It tastes literally EXACTLY like a Medium-Dark coffee would. Lots of java, Lot's of coffee flavor, With a hint of chocolate and a TON of vanilla. In fact, This beer is so delicious that I didn't even want to swallow it. I wanted that vanilla flavor to last forever. The mouthfeel is pretty thin, No other flavors come through other than the ones I have stated. Over all I was very impressed with this, I figured I'd end up giving the 6 pack away. And hell, I got these beers for free so it was an absolute steal. Though one thing I would like to mention is that my experience with this beer has been different with each bottle. This review was written after I had drank the best one in the six pack (943 characters)

4.32/5  rDev +35%

This beer blew me away! Aroma of the chocolate comes through immediately! Very nice chocolate and slight vanilla taste sensation with the coffee comming through and lingering on the palate!I like a more malty beer and this one hit the spot for me! Very smooth drinkable beer! (275 characters)

4.32/5  rDev +35%

This is a nice beer atwater brewery puts out. A nice dark color with minimal head. The small as you bring the glass to drink is a very strong notes of vanilla,but not a bad thing, because the firdt taste is one to remember.I've had the bottle and this beer can only be enjoyed on tap. drinkabillity is ok but after 3-4 your looking for a new taste. Enjoy this is a good winter beer. (382 characters)

4.32/5  rDev +35%

Drinking my first one now. My first taste it was full of chocolate followed by vanilla and coffee with a slight smoky flavor. That was very pleasant but the feel to me could have been heavier. I drank about half of it cold and then let it set until it got to room temperature. The beer only got better in my opinion. Great color and nice head. I will be buying more in the future. Prost! (387 characters)

4.3/5  rDev +34.4%

Had this in April '11 from a 6-pack dated Nov. '10.

A - With a semi-aggressive pour, this beer had a fairly tall head but it wasn't too thick and dissipated quickly to leave a coating. Reddish color.

S - Smell is of a lot of vanilla. Pleasant smell.

T - At first it may taste pretty bland. As it sits in my glass, it gets better and better. I think the flavor comes out as it warms up a bit. It is a DRASTIC change that I have noticed in everyone I have had but my beer is usually pretty cold.

M - Little watery when too cold, but gets better.

O - Of the first couple drinks this may be a 3.5 average. As I drink the rest, the vanilla flavor comes out and I am trying to cherish the end of the drink which is always great! (727 characters)

Atwater Vanilla Java Porter from Atwater Brewery