Atwater Vanilla Java Porter - Atwater Brewery

Atwater Brewery visit their website

American Porter |  4.80% ABV

Beer added by: ypsifly on 10-21-2006

Ratings: 1,524 | Reviews: 527

The best beer ever made!

A very delicious beer! Very smooth taste, no bitterness. Almost like drinking an actual java. A little filling, but that's to be expected from a porter.A nice social beer or during meal beer. Great work Atwater!!! I look forward to trying more of your craft beers.

Deeelicious is the one word I can come up with when asked to describe this humble brew. Of all the words that can be used to describe a drank, it is the most fitting. This beer gets a ten on the chug-scale (ladies), and the caffeine buzz is delightful. Sip hard....

4.97/5  rDev +44.9%

This beer was recommended to me by the waitress and the restaurant I was at. It had an exceptional appearance in the glass, nice deep and robust looking. It had a nice head or tannish foam. I definately detected the vanilla and coffee aromas in it. I liked the way it finished and would reccommend it to anyone wno is a coffee and beer fanatic.

4.92/5  rDev +43.4%

I have been a big fan of porters and stout beers for the past few months. I love the hints of coffee and the thickness you get from a porter. After drinking this one I think I have found a new favorite. You can absolutely taste the vanilla and the coffee flavor is a little more pronounced than in other porters. The mouth feel is nice and thick an heavy. The smell is almost like that of an Irish coffee. This is a great beer to try if you are a fan of the Leinenkugel's Snowdrift Vanilla Porter.

4.92/5  rDev +43.4%

Appearance: Brownish black like mixing all your paints together. With a brown head almost has highlights of red and gold
Aroma: A great caramel malt with a coco sweet glow and some toffee notes and then the bittering hops
Taste: A great thick caramel coffee toffee rush that bashes into a great bittering hops with a clean finish into a thick head very creamy and the vanilla is subtle but present
Notes: A great porter reminds me of Rogue's American porter. And it came from Michigan! Still things can surprise me

4.92/5  rDev +43.4%

Pours black with a light brown head. Heavy lacing. Smells just as the name implies. Heavy coffee aroma with a hint of vanilla. Kind of smells like a coffee that has vanilla flavored creamer in it but transformed into a porter. Smells great. And tastes awesome. Tastes likes a perfectly brewed porter with the exact amount of coffee and vanilla flavor that there should be. Not too overpowering and not too faint. But exactly right. It has the consistancy of of thin fizzy milkshake. Very easy to drink. I think this beer's getting the highest rating I've ever given a beer and therefore must be my favorite beer. I have to say that I agree with that logic. This is my new favorite beer... Or at least a tie...

4.86/5  rDev +41.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 5

This beer is one of my top rated Porters. Some will love it because of the vanilla flavor and others will hate it for the same reason.

I don't enjoy a beer with a strong hops flavor. This beer is low on my hops scale so it is easy for me to enjoy.

On my grade scale, I rate this as a beer I would buy anytime.

4.82/5  rDev +40.5%

This is my favorite beer i discovered it a few months ago and pick up a draft every chance i get. I am not usually a huge fan of flavored beers but i feel that they nailed this one. It has a nice strong smell and taste of both coffee and vanilla. The appearance is a deep dark color almost that of a strong coffee. I am not totally sure how you would judge mouthfeel at this point but it seems smooth not too carbonated just a nice feel hopefully that is what is meant by this. I would highly rate this beer to anyone. I dont know how it is in a bottle i am trying to find some but on tap it is just great.

4.8/5  rDev +39.9%

Very pleased with the balance and overall taste of this fine beer. The color is black onyx, yet clear... not cloudy. The smell was very old world, with a hint of espresso. The taste reminded me of some of my first porters that were wonderful and full of mystery. Not real thick mouthfeel, just right.
Very nice beer to drink in the winter time!

4.65/5  rDev +35.6%

A: Thin light tan head that is retained long after pouring. Rich dark color.

S: Very strong vanilla notes. Don't smell much of the java.

T: Java flavor upfront followed by vanilla. Somewhat chocolatey malt flavor.

M: Just the right amount of carbonation.

O: This is a very good beer with if you like the vanilla taste. It's something a bit different from the ordinary that is still refreshing on a warm day.

4.64/5  rDev +35.3%

This beer came to me as a beer of the month offer. I received several beers from the Atwater brewing Co. I prefer pale ales generally but was happy to receive this one. This is a desert beer. After dinner instead of a cup of coffee try one of these. I'm not an advocate of "flavored beers" but this one is one I'd like to try again. Very smooth finish.

4.56/5  rDev +32.9%

Appearance: This bottle of beer wonderfulness pours a an extremely dark garnet with brown hues. On top of that is light foamy tan head about two fingers worth. This is one beer that I could gaze at for a while.

Aromas: A very light hop nose with the coffee and chocolate malts roaming all around. The vanilla beans it's brewed with top off all those scents like a cherry on an ice cream sundae.

Taste: The vanilla erupts from this beer like a volcano that has been resting for a hundred years. The chocolate malts dance around the palate ever so gracefully. It has a smooth texture on the palate with a little hint of crispness.

Notes: This one is so incredible for a cold fall or winter day or night to warm one up rather nicely. Cheers

4.51/5  rDev +31.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Delicious. Pours light dark almost amber-ish in color with a light tan head. Aromas of roasted coffee and chocolate, light vanilla. Taste is better then expected, sweet lightly robust yet still has that porter after taste along with with the vanilla n coffee bean taste. Very smooth n easily drinkable. On of my top choices

4.5/5  rDev +31.2%

Black as night. No head. Aroma of coffee, vanilla chocolate & malt. Vanilla dominates the taste and the coffee mixes in nicely. Light on hops. Super smooth, rich brew. Wonderful sipping beer.

4.5/5  rDev +31.2%

I'm very surprised at the average score for this beer. I had this in Pittsburgh on tap and I was blown away by the flavor. Most porters/beers that boast coffee or vanilla beans tend to let me down, but this one came through perfectly. You get the Vanilla in the mouthfeel but the coffee comes later in the finish. Perfect. Easy to drink and is now one of my favorites in this genre.

4.5/5  rDev +31.2%

This is a great porter bottle notched at jan 15 poured into a sniffer drank half of it cold taste like vanilla coffe with slight carbonation this is a solid coffe porter

4.5/5  rDev +31.2%

Had on tap at Grill One Eleven.

Appearance was a beautiful dark brown into black with a nice white head.

Smell was huge of coffee and chocolate.

Taste was sensational. Tons of sweetness with the coffee and chocolate but very well balanced and finished clean and smooth.

Mouthfeel was way lighter than one would expect from a porter (but in my opnion, in a good way). The lower and ABV and mouthfeel pairing with the awesome flavors makes this very crushable and I, personally, could sit and drink quite a few of these. Fantastic beer.

4.48/5  rDev +30.6%

Love it. Like the vanilla with the porter

4.47/5  rDev +30.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

The taste is where its at for me, has an almost overwhelming vanilla taste. None the less its delicious

4.47/5  rDev +30.3%

Clean and delicious, love the coffee flavor. As good a porter as I've had. Exceptionally drinkable.

4.46/5  rDev +30%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

I love the coffee and vanilla accents in the flavor. Great beer to sip on and really feel. One of my favorites hands down

4.42/5  rDev +28.9%

I really enjoyed this beer. It had a great smell and a great flavor.

4.4/5  rDev +28.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

(From notes)

Appearance: Pours from the tap a near-opaque mahogany color. Head is frothy and rich, and leaves moderate lacing as it recedes.

Smell: High-quality pipe tobacco, vanilla bean and a rich malt nose. Perhaps a touch of hop action here as well.

Taste/Mouthfeel: Beer is thick, and coats the mouth with medium carbonatoin. Bitterness from hops and sweetness from the vanilla toy playfully with your taste buds. An intense kind of pipe tobacco feeling again here, didn't notice it when I had it in a bottle. Lots of bitterness, and a smooth finish. nice.

Drinkability: Too heavy to have more than two or three of, but definitely one of the better beers on tap locally.

4.39/5  rDev +28%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

On tap at The Raven, Port Huron, MI. Strong coffee and vanilla notes (as expected). More interesting than the average porter. Would definitely get this again.

Atwater Vanilla Java Porter from Atwater Brewery