Atwater Vanilla Java Porter - Atwater Brewery

No picture uploaded.

Atwater Brewery visit their website

American Porter |  6.00% ABV

Beer added by: ypsifly on 10-21-2006

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 1,458 | Reviews: 505

2.5/5  rDev -26.9%

3.75/5  rDev +9.6%

Had on tap at Old Chicago Pizza

Poured a nice dark porter color with about 2 fingers of head. Smell was very nice vanila and java flavor, which rolled over very nicely to the taste. Very smooth and the vanilla gave that nice sweet flavor and finish. This was my first beer from Atwater. Very Nice.

2.5/5  rDev -26.9%

3.3/5  rDev -3.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I picked this on up for two reasons, one: I like o support our local brewers. two: I'm thinking about brewing some type of vanilla beer for an upcoming batch.

It poured very dark brown (nearly black) with a thin one finger head that didn't last very long. The smell to me was less about the vanilla and more about the Java but given the name I guess I was hoping it would be other way around.

The taste was pretty good, I was able to really pick up on the vanilla much more than the java, so they seemed to get that part right, and really taste is was it's all about in the end of the day, so good on them. On the other hand though, the flavor really wasn't as strong as I would have expected out of a beer of the nature, which is what I've seemed to see with Atwater’s other offerings.

All and all, I wouldn't steer anyone away from this on, I just feel like there are better examples out there.

4.5/5  rDev +31.6%

3.19/5  rDev -6.7%

My buddy gave me one of these from a six pack he bought.
This beer has an updated label from the one pictured. New label has a nice timeline on the bottom with J-D for the month and 11-13 for the year. This was brewed J/12. Digging the new label design.
I noticed that each beer in the six pack had a different volume of beer. 2 beers were full right to the brim of the lip at the top of the neck, almost to the cap. Another was excessively full, and the other 3 were about normal, but still varying levels.

A - This beer is dark but not black. You can slightly see through when held to the light, red hue shining through. After a very aggressive pour I received a thin white head, no lacing.

S - Smell is mostly sweet vanilla and a little malt. The aroma is extremely weak, but I can't hate too much on a sweet vanilla smell.

T/M - The taste, body and the rest is lacking. I'm not getting much java or porter. I'm getting a pinch of vanilla, and a lot of water. It's sweet, but dry. Extremely drinkable. Watery mouthfeel due to low carbonation and lack of body. Overall, it goes down quick and leaves the palette searching.

4.5/5  rDev +31.6%

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Atwater Vanilla Java Porter from Atwater Brewery