Atwater Vanilla Java Porter - Atwater Brewery

Atwater Vanilla Java PorterAtwater Vanilla Java Porter

Atwater Brewery visit their website

American Porter |  6.00% ABV

(Beer added by: ypsifly on 10-21-2006)
3.4/5  rDev 0%

4.25/5  rDev +25%

Poured a dark black body with a thin tan head.
Aroma has a roasty malt smell to it.
the taste has a nice vanilla taste followed by some roast notes and a little chocolate.
the mouthfeel is a little weak but overall very tastym

4.25/5  rDev +25%

I've had really good experiences with this beer, despite reviews about poor quality control. This is a nice rich beer with a great coffee after taste that isn't too overpowering.

Had the same experience as DannyMick131. The first bottle I opened was pretty awful... extremely bitter and turned me off the beer..(almost was tempted to just chuck the 6-pack but that would be an abuse of alcohol. Realized I still had 5 left today, so opened a 2nd one and this one was much better. Lack of quality control I suppose? We'll see how the rest turn out.

Tastes like a vanilla infused dark roast (almost overburnt coffee really..) but otherwise it's alright.

4.5/5  rDev +32.4%

3.6/5  rDev +5.9%

3.25/5  rDev -4.4%

3.25/5  rDev -4.4%

3.75/5  rDev +10.3%

I was pleasantly surprised.

3.36/5  rDev -1.2%

2.75/5  rDev -19.1%

Eh. 1 out of the first 5 of the case was bad, like rotten milk bad. The bottle seemed sealed if I remember correctly, but it was off by far. I had a few that tasted pretty solid. Another go at the case on a different night had me pour out 3 of them because they seemed flat/tasteless. Of the ones that seem ok, the mouth feel is a bit watery. Vanilla extract is prominent. Coffee? I don't taste much coffee, maybe it is the base and the vanilla is up front, I don't know. I am concerned with what I feel is a lack of consistency bottle to bottle. If I didn't waste so many already, I'd probably return the case, although I have never had to do that before. If I had to give advice, I'd say avoid it. The best I have tasted in this category is Wolaver's Alta Gracia Coffee Porter. Breckenridge Vanilla Porter is also solid, but no coffee there.

3.75/5  rDev +10.3%

Pretty good for a coffee porter. I'm usually not a coffee beer guy. I like coffee and I like beer, but usually the two shant mix. This is a decent malty beer, goes down smooth. My one complaint would be the lack of ...robust... flavor. It was in the single digits with a nasty wind chill. I could have had something a bit more warming.

1.2/5  rDev -64.7%