Atwater Vanilla Java Porter - Atwater Brewery

No picture uploaded.

Atwater Brewery visit their website

American Porter |  6.00% ABV

Beer added by: ypsifly on 10-21-2006

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 1,458 | Reviews: 505

3.75/5  rDev +9.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

4.07/5  rDev +19%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3.5

12oz bottle, notched 12/2014. Served in a snifter 2/28/2015.

A- Dark brown color, close to black body with dark amber color. Pours cleanly with minuscule foam and lacing.

S- a floating coffee/ java note, with undertones of sweet vanilla. An overall rich smelling beer.

T- Tastes thin. There is truly a smooth, graceful coffee flavor accented by a hit of vanilla. The beer finishes with a nutty almost earthy porter taste. Reminds of eating me of cappuccino with vanilla cake. It's sweet and light, almost too light for a porter. I wanted more flavor out of this beer.

M- Thin bodied, watery, very drinkable but has no depth to it. I would expect more to a porter.

O- Smells and Tastes wonderful but lacks depth which makes this beer a good choice but there is better out there. When I read vanilla java porter I expected something strong and satisfying but instead I got a beer that I could sit and watch a show with.

4.13/5  rDev +20.8%

Great beer if you love dark beer. Recommend to all. Everyone I know loves it.

3.75/5  rDev +9.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.52/5  rDev +2.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

3.46/5  rDev +1.2%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

3.59/5  rDev +5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

4.46/5  rDev +30.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

I love the coffee and vanilla accents in the flavor. Great beer to sip on and really feel. One of my favorites hands down

4.08/5  rDev +19.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

3.96/5  rDev +15.8%

I agree with some other reviewers. I really liked this beer and my faves are typically Irish stouts. I found the finish to be much less sweet than the initial aroma, which I must say put me off a tad initially. I've had 4 more since my initial taste in early Feb. 2015. My only suggestion is that you may not want to order this pre-dinner, as it is a sweeter beer.

3.33/5  rDev -2.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3

12oz bottle, notched 1/2015. Served in a snifter 2/18/2015.

A- Dark brown, close to black body with a frothy one finger offwhite head. Nice retention. No lacing.

S- Fair amount of raw vanilla bean aromas, a bit of coffee, and not a whole lot else. The vanilla is pretty nice, though.

F- Tastes thin, a bit of raw vanilla bean flavour, not much coffee, very little depth to the beer. A mild earthy bitterness on the backend.

M- Thin bodied, watery, very drinkable but has no depth to it. Tradeoffs, I guess- it's pretty low in ABV (4.5% on the bottle) so there's that.

O- Smells good but there isn't not much else that's exceptional about this beer.

3.71/5  rDev +8.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

3.63/5  rDev +6.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 2 | overall: 3.5

4.04/5  rDev +18.1%

I can't figure out why the review on this beer is so low. . .I think it is very tasty and would recommend it to any Stout drinker. I just think to many beer drinkers now a days are sucking on IPA's a little to much and ruining their taste buds.

3.91/5  rDev +14.3%

3.43/5  rDev +0.3%
look: 3 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

3.98/5  rDev +16.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

2.75/5  rDev -19.6%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

4.92/5  rDev +43.9%

I have been a big fan of porters and stout beers for the past few months. I love the hints of coffee and the thickness you get from a porter. After drinking this one I think I have found a new favorite. You can absolutely taste the vanilla and the coffee flavor is a little more pronounced than in other porters. The mouth feel is nice and thick an heavy. The smell is almost like that of an Irish coffee. This is a great beer to try if you are a fan of the Leinenkugel's Snowdrift Vanilla Porter.

4.17/5  rDev +21.9%

If you like coffee, more specifically vanilla flavored coffee, you will probably like this. I love coffee and this is fairly good. My only problem with this beer is that the flavor is not strong enough. The flavor itself is good but it's a little weak. This is a porter for the wussies! Hardly any bitterness at all. But without judging it for what it is, it's definately not bad.

3.65/5  rDev +6.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

3.4/5  rDev -0.6%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3

Nice vanilla taste, wished it would have been a smooth beer with a vanilla aroma, got tired of it pretty quickly, thought it was better the first time I had it??

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Atwater Vanilla Java Porter from Atwater Brewery