Atwater Cherry Stout - Atwater Brewery

Atwater Cherry StoutAtwater Cherry Stout

Atwater Brewery visit their website

American Stout |  6.50% ABV

(Beer added by: JoeyBeerBelly on 02-13-2009)

Filabee, Apr 05, 2014
1.5/5  rDev -50.8%

Stu_Grimson, Mar 20, 2014
1.65/5  rDev -45.9%

Pours a dark coffee black chocolate color with a light beige head forming thick above the body fine lacing speckled as it all dwindles down. Aroma hints of dark chocolate dryness with upfront tart cherry notes. Slight mustiness flowing amongst the beers cherry concentrate addition and base beer stout. Tart offness flowing through dirty coffee water like drinking coffee filter water a couple days after you brewed with tart cherry concentrate this beer sucks asshole. The worst interpretation of any fruit/stout/or cherry beer I've ever tried, a definite drain pour that doesn't deserve anymore of my descriptive pissed off language. Drinkability like I said drain pour, mouthfeel thin bodied acidic tart cherry mess of a beer.

WVbeergeek, Jan 09, 2011
1.78/5  rDev -41.6%

This beer rubbed me the wrong way right off the bat.

I pulled it out of the fridge and saw that it said to serve at 45 degrees on the bottle, so I let it sit out for a bit. In the mean time, I had another beer, so I know my fridge isn't too cold. Anyway, when I went to open this beer, as soon as the seal was broken (before I could even pry off the cap) foam and beer shot out. The rest of the 5 minute pour was a cycle of pour for 2 seconds, wait for foam to subside, and try again. I feel like this may have been over carbonated or something. Either way, not too happy.

A - Pours into a pint glass with 5 fingers of foamy, marshmellowy head that leaves great lacing as it subsides. The body is as black as I'd expect a stout to be, but whereas I'm used to ruby tones on the edges, this beer had a brown trim. Opaque with visible carbonation on the walls of my glass.

S - Cherry and chocolate smells are obvious on this beer. Slightly offputting funkiness though. Really not sure if it's supposed to be like that. Maybe that's what caused my fiasco.

T - UGH! The funkiness isn't just in the smell. I feel like the cherry influence was taken a bit too far. Extremely sweet. Not enough of the coffee or chocolate bitterness that a stout needs. This might as well have been a cherry lager. Lingering sweetness.

MF - Light bodied. Slightly on the watery side. Carbonation thicken it up a bit.

D - No. Sorry but this beer is a task to finish.

MikeBrandman, Jun 14, 2010
1.88/5  rDev -38.4%

A- A very deep ruddy brown with a thin, slightly off white head. Very cloudy.

S- Very earthy, kinda tart, and a bit of chocolate. Just really not that appealing.

T- Oh whoops... Just tart, sour and gross. It didn't really get any better the more I drank it. This is just not doing it for me.

M- Kind of tart. Between that and the carbonation, this is a bit of a pucker-inducing beverage.

D- Well, this just didn't do it for me. Kind of a gross beer. Didn't taste like a stout. It just tasted... I don't know, but I won't be getting it again.

david131, Feb 25, 2009

Big_Dave, Aug 06, 2014

BrewtalHonesty, Apr 10, 2014

jski, Dec 02, 2011

amalburg, May 01, 2014

AW-"its not entirely undrinkable"
RD-"Both the middle taste and the end taste are not good"
KL-"Reminds me of brown wilted spinach"
TB-"I really don't want to drink the rest of that"
Aj-"I don't even blame the cherry... it doesn't even taste like cherry"

Overall: hope we had a bad batch (sep 2014)

RevKev007, Oct 11, 2014

Thickfreakness, Jun 05, 2012

Morakaton, Dec 28, 2013
2.25/5  rDev -26.2%

From notes. 12 oz. bottle in an Abita tulip glass on April 25th, 2011. Disclaimer here - my friend handed this to me claiming that it sucked horribly. So I guess I came in with pretty low expectations.

Appearance was pretty meh. Dark brown coloring with a single finger of light brown head. Lacing isn't half-bad though.

The nose is pretty weak. Slight cherry quality that is unfortunately contrasted with a strange funk (I seriously doubt this was from yeast or anything of the sort). Whatever the hell this was, it was like cherries had went bad and were then used to brew this. A little bit of malts in the aroma as well.

This cherry stout is boring. Slight cherry sweetness in front and tartness following on backend. Distinctly different bitterness on the front sort of messes the drink up. Hardly any finish to speak of with no aftertaste.

Mouthfeel is thin with mellow carbonation.

Not really drinkable. It's mostly empty calories and doesn't really appeal in any particular manner.

Auracom, May 18, 2011

A: Pours a deep black with an off white 1 inch head
S: Cherry, alcohol, hints of vanilla and chocolate, slight sweet scent resembling brown sugar or caramel.
T: Something is off with the cherry flavoring, tastes the way a piece of manufactured cherry plastic might taste, though it somehow manages to rouse about a tartness like that of a real cherry. Roasted malt seems hidden beneath the cherry flavoring, lemon and citrus makes its way out as well
MF: medium bodied brew with balanced carbonation
D: Use of fresh cherries might have benefited the beer, rather than the plastic like cherry flavor that was present throughout. Overall, drinkability was not horribly bad, but I will not buy another one of these.

Interesting combination that caught my attention almost immediately upon seeing the bottle.

jsdunlop, Oct 29, 2010
2.25/5  rDev -26.2%

A- Very dark, almost completely black- comparable to an imperial stout in color. Poured a one finger head that dispersed almost immediately leaving a film.

S- No cherry smell. Almost completely roasted malts. A typical stout aroma with nothing special... Expected/hoped for more

T- Very tart cherry flavor present immediately, then goes away, then comes back up for the aftertaste. Not much of a stout flavor. This is comparable to the Vanilla Java Porter in that it doesn't have much of a beer flavor, only the additives they flavor with. Slight roasted flavor after a few tastes... As the beer sits, the stout characteristics come out.

M- Not bad. Average for a stout.

D- I would be able to drink a few of these. The drinkability really isn't that great, but for personal preference only, it seems to go down easy for me, but wouldn't expect other people to agree.

Overall, this is the second Atwater Block beer I have had and I'm not impressed. These beers tend to have strong flavors up front that don't agree with the beer style, but subdue to a generic flavor of that type of beer (if that sentence makes sense??) If there is nothing else that looks good to you, go ahead and try this, but don't jump to the opportunity...

TheGordianKnot, Apr 09, 2010
2.3/5  rDev -24.6%

The pour is dark brown with an abundance of ruby highlighting. Head is minimal but a pleasant tan color. Here's where things hit the skids. I get a chlorine aroma that covers the chocolate covered cherry scent...not real enticing. Cherry is pretty bitter up front. I like tart cherries, but this is a little over the top. There's some roasted malt hints in there, but this just doesn't have enough substance to back up the strong cherry. Subtle vanilla is nice but it's not enough to sway my taste buds. Feel is thin, and I wish I'd have split this sixer with another victim.
*YMMV, but I've had Bell's Cherry Stout and this isn't even close to a "poor man's" version.

alkemy, Mar 17, 2010
2.3/5  rDev -24.6%

Poured from 12oz bottle to pint glass.

Meager head dissipated into a beige ring. Dark chocolate brown body with reddish/maple highlights.

Smells of lactose and tart fruits. Cherry, pomegranate, nuttiness, and a little bubble gum? Some malt roast, but atypically stout-like.

Sour cherry flavor. Cherry syrup, artificial in the way that those cherry-shaped gummi candies taste. Tangy and without much hop character. Antiseptic quality. Roasted malts are weak and overpowered by the generic fruit flavorings. A little bitter cocoa, light-roast coffee (fruity/nutty), and cola. Can't get past the strange cherry implication. The finish is awful. That tart tang transforms into a lingering disagreeable bitterness. Ugh.

Very thin body for a stout. I can tell that no/not enough oatmeal was used. Drinkability suffers from the taste, so I'll try not to dock it any further.

I had a blank slate going into this one. My girlfriend says it tastes like Kasteel Rouge and Guinness had a 'baby', but somehow I think that that concoction would be so much more delicious. This one's not worth it in my book. No-go.

thecheapies, Jan 12, 2012
2.31/5  rDev -24.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.25

Poured from a bottle. Deep black color with a tan head that has good retention and left mild lacing all the way down the glass. Unfortunately, the appearance was pretty much the best thing about this beer. It was hard to get a good nose on the beer, but the cherry smell was vey faint. Along with it were toasted malts and grains, but once again, very faint and hard to really pick up on. I didn't much care for the taste. I thought it was a bit too tart and sour. The tartness of it actually distracts from the "cherry" flavor, of which there is little. A bit of a roasted flavor in the background, but not much. Medium bodied with a little bit too much carbonation that tickled the mouth. In conjunction with the sour taste, it wasn't too pleasing. My mouth was left feeling sticky and coated.

I had high hopes for this beer and was kind of let down. Disappointing aroma and taste, very flat, tart, and uninviting. Probably won't be having this one again.

tectactoe, Sep 25, 2012
2.35/5  rDev -23%

Pours a dense dark cherry wood brown. Large, frothy, light brown head. Moderate to well-formed Belgian lace. Persistent head. The initial nose is light and suggests tart cherries. Moderate carbonation. Much lighter body than expected. If tasting blind, I would not have identified it as a stout but perhaps placed as a porter. Very modest fruit/cherry notes on the palate. If I had no visual queues, but had to categorize, I would lean toward a Flemish brown ale. Short, dry finish. Lingering notes of cherry pits. Moderate alcohol. Did the cherry concentrate replace or camouflage the hops? Quite pleasant, but not what I'd expect in a stout. One is enough.

carlborch, Jul 21, 2009
2.35/5  rDev -23%

Poured from a bottle into a tumbler pint, the beer pours an almost black, deep, dark brown coloring, with an extremely thin film of light tan head. The nose is muddled, with light coffee and chocolate notes, a hint of dark fruit sweetness, and a charcoal scent, also. The flavors are a bit watery, and the tart and bitter dark cherry comes through all over the mouth when you drink. Only a slight coffee and roasted flavor, and it does not balance the syrupy sweet cherry. Very off-kilter flavoring, and on a very watery body, too. The aftertaste is like pure cherry juice, and the finish leaves a slight film in your mouth. Not good.

GarthDanielson, Dec 07, 2011
2.42/5  rDev -20.7%

Presentation: poured into a tulip glass from a brown 12oz. bottle with no best by date. Described on the bottle as "Malt Beverage Brewed with Cherry Concentrate" ... Malt beverage??

A: Dark chocolate color with heavy tan head and minimal lacing.

S: Some burnt malts with a background of cherry and chocolate scents.

T&M: Very watery for a stout. Light bodied. When it first hits there is a nice stout flavor for only a split second, then it fades instantly with a bitter cherry taste. Finishes dry with a dark chocolate type flavor.

It looked and sounded good when I saw this beer on the shelf. Thank goodness I only bought a single to try first. It's okay. Not the worst fruit flavored beer I've ever had.... but close.

cdizinno, Aug 23, 2009
2.48/5  rDev -18.7%

Bottle. Marked Dec 11. Poured into a tulip glass a dark brown color with some reddish highlights. Light tan head. For being a cherry stout the cherry aroma is pretty subdued. Some light roast notes and a tinge of dark fruit. Medium mouthfeel. Slight cherry start with both a sweet and a tart component that then transitions to a building level of roast flavor culiminating in a slightly bitter, burnt flavor that lingers. No real evidence of the abv. I took a shot on this one and while it isn’t terrible, to me it isn’t that good either. I’d like to see more cherry and a hevier mouthfeel.

kbutler1, Jan 08, 2012
2.48/5  rDev -18.7%

Bottle into a 22oz snifter. I'll start by saying I love cherry stouts and I wanted this one to work...

Flat brown-black wearing a thin 1/8th inch head that settles instantly to a splotchy cover and solid ring. Very active carbonation, tiny bubbles. Aroma is malty sweet, some hints of fruit, a sorta fruit-flesh aroma, cherry sweet without a backing acid. Roast characteristics come through as a little sooty chocolate. Beyond that the aroma is pretty flat, maybe even a little butterscotch in there? The flavor is odd, has a wineish thing going on. Lightly chocolate, a little juicy cherry, sweet for sure. After the sweetness, nothing really, pretty boring. The mouthfeel is where this mess falls apart for me. This is pretty heavily coating, it leaves a sweetness in the mouth and throat I don't care for, the body is pretty much middle of the road and carbonation is fine. Drinkablity is pretty low on this one, the sweetness gets oppressive and the shallow overall experience doesn't beg for more attention.

Otesanek, Nov 08, 2009