Atwater Cherry Stout - Atwater Brewery

Atwater Cherry StoutAtwater Cherry Stout

Atwater Brewery visit their website

American Stout |  6.50% ABV

(Beer added by: JoeyBeerBelly on 02-13-2009)
2.25/5  rDev -26.5%

From notes. 12 oz. bottle in an Abita tulip glass on April 25th, 2011. Disclaimer here - my friend handed this to me claiming that it sucked horribly. So I guess I came in with pretty low expectations.

Appearance was pretty meh. Dark brown coloring with a single finger of light brown head. Lacing isn't half-bad though.

The nose is pretty weak. Slight cherry quality that is unfortunately contrasted with a strange funk (I seriously doubt this was from yeast or anything of the sort). Whatever the hell this was, it was like cherries had went bad and were then used to brew this. A little bit of malts in the aroma as well.

This cherry stout is boring. Slight cherry sweetness in front and tartness following on backend. Distinctly different bitterness on the front sort of messes the drink up. Hardly any finish to speak of with no aftertaste.

Mouthfeel is thin with mellow carbonation.

Not really drinkable. It's mostly empty calories and doesn't really appeal in any particular manner.

Auracom, May 18, 2011
2.63/5  rDev -14.1%

A: Pouurs brown with a finger of tan head.

S: Very light malt aroma and tart cherries.

T: Not much malt or hop flavor here. Mainly tart cherry juice. Tastes like they skimp on every ingredient but cherry juice.

M: Way to thin to be called a stout.

O: One and done with this.

jale, Apr 11, 2011

12oz brown bottle obtained at McKinnon's in Salem, NH. pours a very dark brownish black with an inch of mocha color head that slowly dissipated in to beads around the glass. hints of cherries, chocolate, vanilla, nut, and dark roasted coffee hit the nose with a swirl. tastes of sweet cherries immediately hit the tongue with a dark roasted coffee immediately following it with hints of chocolate and nuts. The dark roasted coffee leaves an aftertaste that I love because I love a good dark roasted coffee. It medium carbonated with a medium/heavy body. It is very drinkable, the first sip invites another and another. Awesome brew!

Cheers!

CheckMate, Mar 04, 2011
3.33/5  rDev +8.8%

12oz bottle purchased at McKinnon's in Salem, NH. Pours a nearly opaque black with dark brown highlights and a half inch of quickly-dissipating light-tan head. Cherries hit the nose first, albeit lightly, with espresso and toasted bread following more convincingly. Sour cherry juice is followed closely by toast with hints of espresso and caramel. Medium bodied with surprisingly light carbonation. Moderately drinkable. Flavors are not unpleasant but are not as robust as I was hoping. A lot of the sweetness from the cherries has clearly been fermented out, which makes it a bit less pleasant of an addition as it could be. Overall not a bad beer - it grows on me as I have more an am able to tune into the toast and coffee notes. Not sure I'd get it again though.

MrHurmateeowish, Mar 03, 2011
1.65/5  rDev -46.1%

Pours a dark coffee black chocolate color with a light beige head forming thick above the body fine lacing speckled as it all dwindles down. Aroma hints of dark chocolate dryness with upfront tart cherry notes. Slight mustiness flowing amongst the beers cherry concentrate addition and base beer stout. Tart offness flowing through dirty coffee water like drinking coffee filter water a couple days after you brewed with tart cherry concentrate this beer sucks asshole. The worst interpretation of any fruit/stout/or cherry beer I've ever tried, a definite drain pour that doesn't deserve anymore of my descriptive pissed off language. Drinkability like I said drain pour, mouthfeel thin bodied acidic tart cherry mess of a beer.

WVbeergeek, Jan 09, 2011
3.2/5  rDev +4.6%

This was recommended to me by "the beer girl" at my local distributor....she has never steered me wrong, so I took her advice. This was a very hard beer to review, I must have had a defective batch....every bottle I opened would fizz right out of the bottle....a steady stream of slow foam...even when poured into a glass....it would overflow with foam! That being said:

The head was a nice off-white color.

The smell was not strong,almost non-existent.

can't comment on the lacing due to the strange foaming issue.

High carbonation with an artificial sour cherry flavor.

Not as thick & hearty as I expected a stout to be.

Drinkability....can't see myself making a night out of this beer, although I would enjoy it with a nice piece of chocolate cake. It makes for a nice dessert beer after a nice big Sunday or holiday dinner.

As I said...this might have just been a defective batch.Even after letting the remainder of the bottles sit still over-night, I had the same issue of foam over-flowing the moment I opened it. Sort of like what happens when your buddy hits the top of your bottle with the bottom of his. Maybe I'll give it another try..."The Beer Girl" has never been wrong! :)

MetalandBeer, Jan 01, 2011
3.25/5  rDev +6.2%

this beer was surprisingly watery for a stout. the wateryness makes it seem like you could drink a few at a time. typically ill sip on a stout when the weathers cold and savor them. usually this is because stouts are very complex most of the time. this cherry stout has a hint of smokiness with a slight cherry finish. not at the top of my list but fairly drinkable.

mattkoon, Dec 21, 2010
3.2/5  rDev +4.6%

12 oz bottle into a pint glass.

Pours initially black but holding this up to the light actually reveals this to be a dark clear ruby, while this is topped with 1 ½ fingers of smooth and creamy mocha colored head. This just has a great retention and overall look to it, continuing to stay rich and leaving back heavy lacing that drenches the sides of the glass. The aroma is definitely tart cherries, but I seem to also be picking up some metallic smelling notes that interfere pretty heavily with the nose. There is some chocolate roast underneath here as well but I'm just not getting the depth of flavor here that I would have expected. Pretty poor aroma here.

The taste immediately gets this beer back on track with a well done cherry character, with a tartness and pithiness to it that is a bit aggressive in the profile but still quite approachable and flavorful. This sits on top of a silky feeling mix of chocolate and bitter roast and maybe a touch of green hop flavor as well but it's mostly hidden behind the notes of cherries and burnt malt. The cherries are actually what probably lingers the most, finishing with a dry pithiness. The mouthfeel is medium bodied overall but is maybe falling on the lighter side with a soft bubbly creaminess that pretty much stays that way the whole time. Not a whole lot in the way of sharpness here.

This Cherry Stout was a bit of a mixed bag. Great look, good taste, average body, and a pretty weak aroma. All in all, I think that there was more to like than dislike here. I'd be willing to give this a second shot sometime.

Kegatron, Dec 17, 2010
2.73/5  rDev -10.8%

$1.89 for a single @ Merchants. 6.5% ABV per the label. Website says 6.0% ABV, and 20 IBU's. Notched Oct 2010.

Pours out to a clear dark walnut, not quite black, forming a small khaki head with average retention and sparse lacing. Mild carbonation. The aroma is good with a nice blend of black walnut, cocoa powder, chalk, and coffee. No cherries in the nose. The mouthfeel is tart, with a medium-light body. I taste a little of the roasted flavors up front for a second, but it is brief before being replaced with an aftertaste of cherry tartness. It's not upfront like a cherry pie where you really get that pure fruit flavor, but is more subtle, adding more of an overall tartness. There would be a better fruit flavor if they would have used black cherries instead of tart, or if the stout was, well... "more stout". The finish is peculiarly watery, and as I drink more, I begin to notice it's flimsy body and weak, insipid flavor. Bitterness is mild. No perceptable off-flavors.

Average at best in all regards. I wouldn't buy this again. I agree with the person who said that this is "a poor mans Bell's Cherry Stout".

Mitchster, Nov 27, 2010
3.85/5  rDev +25.8%

Pours out into a dark blackish-brown with a small off white head. It has moderate carbonation with not much lacing and little retention. The smell is a cherry and chocolate smell with not much else to the smell. I do like the taste of it as I can taste a strong bit of cherries (maybe too much cherry since it had almost a soft drink like taste to it, but with the alcohol reminded me a little bit of drinking a dry wine) but than I can taste some chocolate, vanilla and a hint of coffee even though I do think it needs more malts to balance the cherry taste and give it more of a beer taste instead of a soft drink taste. I do taste the malts in the aftertaste, but the strong cherry taste drowns out everything else. It has a nice smooth mouthfeel with medium body that is very easy to drink and as soon as they balance out the malts and cherries more I might change the ratings for its taste.

DannyDan, Nov 25, 2010

A: Pours a deep black with an off white 1 inch head
S: Cherry, alcohol, hints of vanilla and chocolate, slight sweet scent resembling brown sugar or caramel.
T: Something is off with the cherry flavoring, tastes the way a piece of manufactured cherry plastic might taste, though it somehow manages to rouse about a tartness like that of a real cherry. Roasted malt seems hidden beneath the cherry flavoring, lemon and citrus makes its way out as well
MF: medium bodied brew with balanced carbonation
D: Use of fresh cherries might have benefited the beer, rather than the plastic like cherry flavor that was present throughout. Overall, drinkability was not horribly bad, but I will not buy another one of these.

Interesting combination that caught my attention almost immediately upon seeing the bottle.

jsdunlop, Oct 29, 2010
3.08/5  rDev +0.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Reviewed from notes.

Pours dark brown with a thin off white head and a toy amount of lacing on the way down. Nose brings forward sweet berries.and some backing chocolate. The taste consists of the same two components, although the cherry stands out more here. Feel is a bit strange. Medium body. Drinkability is quite poor, as the monotonous flavors get old in short order.

Thorpe429, Oct 12, 2010
3.73/5  rDev +21.9%

Dense two finger head of dark brown, even with some larger bubbles has good retention as well as above average lacing for the category. Pure black liquid, no haziness, a touch of orange peeks out at the bottom of the glass. The cherry loud and clear in the nose, supplemented ably by roasty cocoa, mocha and coffee bean shades, quality orange citrus presence too, more flaky pie crust and pastry than biscuit or bread, has an overall dry textural feel in the nostrils which helps it stiffen and linger more. Full-bodied without getting ponderous, the carbonation feels comprised of tiny pinpricks but there's a lot of them and they work overtime. The cherry has a red fruit, sour quality with traces of raspberry tagging along behind. Dark chocolate, caramel and coffee thicker and more bittersweet here, no real dulcet moments. More of that tart orange to lemon citrus with a mineral water component. A little more bready than pastry-like, maybe part of the dry mouth feel. Appears to have been constructed to highlight the fruit flavors, along the way sacrificing chewiness for a more brisk character. Not especially nuanced but no problem throwing one back quickly.

farrago, Aug 23, 2010
2.53/5  rDev -17.3%

First time having a cherry stout
Poured from a 12 ounce bottle into a 5 ounce sampler mug

A- Pours a very dark brown that looks almost dark ruby red when held up to the light. Had an inch of tan head that faded to a big thick ring.

S- Cherry syrup and chocolate malts are all i get from the smell.

T- Just like the nose the cherry syrup and roasted malts combine into one giving this a beer a really unique taste, i wouldn't say it was great, but it wasn't bad.

M- Too light and watery for its style.

D- I split this beer with my bro, One would be all i would want, the taste gets old fast.

Overall i was a little disappointing in this beer, the cherry just tasted too artificial and the stout part did not balance well. Even though i was let down with this one, i am sure there has to be a brewery that produces an awesome cherry stout.

StoutHunter, Aug 17, 2010
3.48/5  rDev +13.7%

Poured from 12oz bottle into a pint glass.

Appearance: though chilled, this beer is extremely carbonated. The instant I popped the top foam started slowly erupting from the bottle; upon pouring, I got a glass that was about 90% head.

Body is a thick dark brown that doesn't seem to be letting any light through whatsoever. Head is a monstrosity, with a tan hue and rather a lot of retention. Interesting, but I do like the body.

Smell: bizarre combination of roasted malts, a light tartness, and a big helping of dry cherries. Almost but not quite cough-syrupy. Not exactly my favorite (despite my love of cherries), but it is serviceable.

Taste: tart cherries with a bit of roasted malt and a bit of smoke at the back. The smoke actually builds on the palate. This is an extremely bizarre beer, and I'm not sure entirely how to feel about it. Smoked cherry stoutish sourish beer. Huh.

Mouthfeel: astringent but medium-bodied with tons of carbonation. This is a super creamy beer.

Drinkability: it is weird, I'll give it that. This bottle has the hallmarks of possibly being infected (tartish, über-carbonated, etc.), but with the cherry this doesn't hurt it as much as you might think. If this isn't infected, it's just a straight-up weird brew. I would actually like to have this again just to see what is the deal here.

flagmantho, Aug 15, 2010
3.13/5  rDev +2.3%

Poured into pint glass.

Pours 1/2 of tan head. Fades down to a thick ring. No lace left. Color is a pretty much black.

Aroma: Fresh cherries, roasted malts, chocolate. Pretty straight forward.

Taste: The cherries here don't seem as fresh or real, but they show. Some chocolate and roasted malts again. A lot like the aroma. I really can't pick much else up.

Mouthfeel: Crisp, smooth, with a bit of sourness to it. Medium bodied with a medium amount of carbonation. Ends a bit dry with some cherries.

Overall, not too impressed with this one. The cherries are there but they are not very fresh or tart. It is somewhat drinkable, but I would much rather have a NG Cherry Stout.

mothman, Aug 03, 2010
1.78/5  rDev -41.8%

This beer rubbed me the wrong way right off the bat.

I pulled it out of the fridge and saw that it said to serve at 45 degrees on the bottle, so I let it sit out for a bit. In the mean time, I had another beer, so I know my fridge isn't too cold. Anyway, when I went to open this beer, as soon as the seal was broken (before I could even pry off the cap) foam and beer shot out. The rest of the 5 minute pour was a cycle of pour for 2 seconds, wait for foam to subside, and try again. I feel like this may have been over carbonated or something. Either way, not too happy.

A - Pours into a pint glass with 5 fingers of foamy, marshmellowy head that leaves great lacing as it subsides. The body is as black as I'd expect a stout to be, but whereas I'm used to ruby tones on the edges, this beer had a brown trim. Opaque with visible carbonation on the walls of my glass.

S - Cherry and chocolate smells are obvious on this beer. Slightly offputting funkiness though. Really not sure if it's supposed to be like that. Maybe that's what caused my fiasco.

T - UGH! The funkiness isn't just in the smell. I feel like the cherry influence was taken a bit too far. Extremely sweet. Not enough of the coffee or chocolate bitterness that a stout needs. This might as well have been a cherry lager. Lingering sweetness.

MF - Light bodied. Slightly on the watery side. Carbonation thicken it up a bit.

D - No. Sorry but this beer is a task to finish.

MikeBrandman, Jun 14, 2010
3.23/5  rDev +5.6%

Presentation: 12oz brown pop top, nice label; just a bit past its date

Appearance: Dark brown/black beer, ruby around the edges; a hard pour produces a soapy sandy head with decent retention

Smell: Actually some nice caramel, light chocolate, and natural cherry aromas...not bad, and I'm not usually a fan of cherry stouts...there isn't the expected roastiness though.

Taste: Some thin stout flavors (think weak dry stout) and tart (but light flavored cherry juice). Not bad flavors, and not a bad combination, but it tastes way watered down and light, especially for a 6.5% abv.

Mouthfeel: Light...too light

Drinkability: High

Conclusion: Good? No. Bad? No. Underwhelming? Extremely.

BedetheVenerable, May 28, 2010
3.48/5  rDev +13.7%

This is a stout? Brown ale, or porter at best.

I could see through this beer without much light behind it so it definitely doesnt have much to it.

It poured surprisingly watery with not a ton of head for the pour. Its dark but on the complete opposite end of the spectrum from even Guiness, let alone anything RIS such as Stone RIS or DORIS.

It smells and tastes of cherry syrup. Its a good taste, but it tastes like syrup rather than the fruit itself. Not much malt or beer behind the fruit.

Mouthfeel is weak, watery, and very basic. Very unlike a typical stout.

Very very easy to drink due to its lighter characteristics. Not heavy and "beefy" like most stouts.

For the price, I have no ill feelings towards it. I dont feel ripped off but I dont feel like I got a great deal on a beer either.

phiberoptik, May 26, 2010
2.8/5  rDev -8.5%

A - red around the edges and some red through the middle of the glass. Tight head drops quickly to nearly nothing.

S - has a scent of old cherry mash mixed in the typical stout body.

T - the start of the flavor is okay, but the after taste it gets a bit bitter. The cherry taste is not a candy-cherry flavor, but more a real cherry taste, even a slight sour-cherry taste.

M - thin with mild tingle on back of tongue.

D - it is drinkable in quantity, but you would really have to be in the mood for it.

biglite351, May 16, 2010
3.43/5  rDev +12.1%

I poured into a pint glass to two inches of tan head. It is dark brown in color. The aroma is certainly cherry. I also get some roasted, coffee and chocolate, malts. The taste is tart cherry up front and followed by some roasted malt. It has a medium body. It's not a bad beer. It's a little weak on taste, but better than I expected.

buschbeer, Apr 30, 2010
2.93/5  rDev -4.2%

A: darkness from afar and up close full of crimson, maple syrup brown, and magenta. A very soft and dense layer of foam is the holding true on top, leaving some remnants of sticky yellowish-brown fuzz in my glass. Fairly nice character in the glass

S: a incredibly mild smeller. The most notable whiff is just full of tart cherries. Where are the malts? Warming brings out the fruitiness and hides the toasted/roasted sniffs. The whole experience is pretty timid for the nose

T: the palate is predominantly full of tart cherries with some sweeter cherry concentrate notes flashing. Malts are in the mix, nowhere near what I was expecting, and provide next to nothing for a backbone. A slight sourness is ever present, no doubt from the cherries but it might house a slight astringency from the stout itself and the earthy bittersweet chocolate flavors within

M: feel more like a porter than a stout. Body is medium in feel and relies a bit to strongly on carbonation. Average at best

D: alright...not bad, but not great either. Atwater still needs to impress me

Magpie14, Apr 23, 2010
2.98/5  rDev -2.6%

Poured a dark brown with a porous off-white crown.

Aroma is of chocolate espresso with faint cherry notes.

Taste takes the side of the aroma. Cocoa, burnt coffee, barely noticeable cherries.

I was really anxious to try this one as cherry stouts are towards the top of my favorite beer choices. This wasn't even really a solid stout IMO and there wasn't enough cherry in it for me. Glad to try it, wouldn't seek out in the future.

pwoody11, Apr 19, 2010

Reviewed from notes 4/09.

A-Pours black with dark brown head.

S-Maybe some vanilla and an overpowering dark cherry note.

T-Faint chocolate malt with that dark, tart cherry and finishes bitter, slightly weird aftertaste that I can't put my finger on.

M-Thin almost soda-like body with some creaminess.

D-Not an amazing beer, but drinkable, and quite a bit more palatable than the other Cherry stouts I've had.

samie85, Apr 10, 2010
2.25/5  rDev -26.5%

A- Very dark, almost completely black- comparable to an imperial stout in color. Poured a one finger head that dispersed almost immediately leaving a film.

S- No cherry smell. Almost completely roasted malts. A typical stout aroma with nothing special... Expected/hoped for more

T- Very tart cherry flavor present immediately, then goes away, then comes back up for the aftertaste. Not much of a stout flavor. This is comparable to the Vanilla Java Porter in that it doesn't have much of a beer flavor, only the additives they flavor with. Slight roasted flavor after a few tastes... As the beer sits, the stout characteristics come out.

M- Not bad. Average for a stout.

D- I would be able to drink a few of these. The drinkability really isn't that great, but for personal preference only, it seems to go down easy for me, but wouldn't expect other people to agree.

Overall, this is the second Atwater Block beer I have had and I'm not impressed. These beers tend to have strong flavors up front that don't agree with the beer style, but subdue to a generic flavor of that type of beer (if that sentence makes sense??) If there is nothing else that looks good to you, go ahead and try this, but don't jump to the opportunity...

TheGordianKnot, Apr 09, 2010