Atwater Cherry Stout - Atwater Brewery

American Stout |  6.50% ABV

Beer added by: JoeyBeerBelly on 02-13-2009

firstprev| 26-50 | 51-75 | 76-100  | next → last
3.95/5  rDev +28.2%

Bottle from Party Source.

Poured reddish black color with an average off-white head that mostly lasted with good lacing. Moderate cherry roasted malt aroma. Medium tart cherry malt and coffee flavor and tart cherry finish of moderate duration.

Good drinkable SWEET STOUT. (273 characters)

2.5/5  rDev -18.8%

This beer poured with a tan head that quickly disappeared. It has a sour cherry aroma with little stout notes. I has a super sweet sour cherry tastes. It is a dark beer, but light does come through. It is way too heavy in the cherry department. It doesn't have nearly enough stout flavor. The only thing that gives me the idea that it is a stout is the color. I was very disappointed. I am glad that I only bought a onesie. It is cloyingly sweet. I would never drink again. Girls would prob love it. (499 characters)

3.71/5  rDev +20.5%

Poured from a 12oz. bottle into a large mason jar. Immediately about 4 inches of puffy light brown head pillowed up to the rim. Very bubbly. It looks like its something off the beaten path. The appearance reminds me of a homebrew a few friends of mine and I brewed up a couple months ago, but you don't need to know about that. I love the ring of lace that's forming under the head. As for the body, it's pitch black.

There's not a lot of aroma to this thing. I slight tartness, some subtle malty chocolate and wheat notes. Nothing too outstanding, but intriguing.

Taste: this is where I'm slightly confused about this beer. This does not taste like a stout. The maltiness isn't strong enough for me to call this a stout, as something stout is always associated with a good malt character. So, this should be a Cherry Ale, in my opinion. Okay, enough of that though. I really enjoy the way this beer tastes. In some ways, its soury tartness reminds me of Arbor Brewing's Brasserie Blonde, which has become a favorite casual drinker of mine. The cherry concentrate in this brew is the forefront. It packs a real punch, then lingers out into a light sweetness before a woody malt aftertaste takes over. The changing of the flavors probably lasts 15 seconds or so.

This beer isn't for everyone, and I think its labeling as stout will definitely throw some people off. However, its taste is refreshing and tangy, making for the perfect Spring brew, and at 6.5%, it's not going to destroy you. Coming home from working all day and having one of these is a real relaxing treat. (1,574 characters)

3.12/5  rDev +1.3%

Pours fairly normal looking. Dark brown, not as dark as I expected with a fierce stream of carbonation at first but not too much head in the end.

Smell is caramel and faint hints of sour cherry syrup. Not an overly powerful smelling beer.

Taste is like a coffee flavored brown ale with some sour cherry flavoring. The roasty, chocolatey characteristics that would match well with a sour fruit flavor are not there like I would like them to be.

I can't help but be reminded of Hi-C cherry juice from when i was a kid, it just dominates the overall character of this beer.

Oh well, worth a shot in a mixed pack just to give it a chance. I would NOT get this again. (668 characters)

2.93/5  rDev -4.9%

Having not liked anything else from Atwater, I figured I would give it one last try. Picked this up last night and poured it into my tulip glass tonight...

A: Pours a very thin brown that yields a highly carbonated one finger bone-khaki colored head. Held up to the light this is a murky brown color with tons of active carbonation creeping up the glass.

S: Smell of tart cherrie puree and extract. Some Munich malt and light crystal malt comes through as well, but I am not getting much roast in the smell that a stout usually portrays.

T: Very highly carboted with flavors of tart cherry puree, dry caramel, sweet cereal grains and only a touch of dry coffee. Overall, this is more like a Cherry Extract Brown Ale. It is rather light in flavor with an astringent, almost smokey-bacon flavor.

Overall, I'm glad I tried this but I will keep looking for an Atwater brew that I like. (885 characters)

1.91/5  rDev -38%

A- A very deep ruddy brown with a thin, slightly off white head. Very cloudy.

S- Very earthy, kinda tart, and a bit of chocolate. Just really not that appealing.

T- Oh whoops... Just tart, sour and gross. It didn't really get any better the more I drank it. This is just not doing it for me.

M- Kind of tart. Between that and the carbonation, this is a bit of a pucker-inducing beverage.

D- Well, this just didn't do it for me. Kind of a gross beer. Didn't taste like a stout. It just tasted... I don't know, but I won't be getting it again. (545 characters)

3.36/5  rDev +9.1%

Poured from a 12 ounce bottle into a pint glass.

Appearance: Black body with a small head the color of a cappuccino foam.

Smell: No cherry aroma at all. It might be an old bottle, but I have no way of knowing because there's no freshness date. There's some kind of smokey wierdness to the aroma.

Taste: Definitely cherry in the taste. Very tart cheek-puckering cherry. (371 characters)

12oz bottle served in a small snifter

L - black color with a creamy beige head that fell to a ring leaving some lacing.

S - strong cherry aroma upfront with roasted malt in the background.

T - french roast coffee, some hints of chocolate with a tart cherry flavor mixed in.

F - medium bodied with a smooth feel.

D - smooth and easy to drink. (356 characters)

firstprev| 26-50 | 51-75 | 76-100  | next → last