Teufel Bock - Atwater Brewery

Teufel BockTeufel Bock

Atwater Brewery visit their website

Weizenbock |  10.90% ABV

(Beer added by: PittBeerGirl on 02-19-2009)
1.53/5  rDev -59.8%

Bottled Feb 2011

Was really hoping to have a better offering from Atwater, seeing as I had to dump the last beer I had from them (Double Down Ale). Poured a nice colour, leaving a tall, light tan head. Don't recall much lacing, but wasn't exactly looking at any point. Smelled like bread, yeast, and small hints of nuts. The taste reminded me of eating 2 week old cabbage once on accident. I dumped the beer again. I liked the Voodoo Vator, but haven't had anything else that was all that good, or even drinkable from them. Too bad, because I can actually see the place almost from my front porch. I guess they're just not my thing.

PatPower, Mar 24, 2011
2.25/5  rDev -40.9%

maxwelldeux, Jun 03, 2013
2.95/5  rDev -22.6%

$9.99 for a 4 pack of 12 oz'ers. 10.9% ABV, 20 IBU, OG=20.7P. Brewed with 60% wheat malt and hopped with Hersbrucker and Perle.

Pours out to a slightly hazy light brown/burnt orange, forming a tall creamy light yellow head with very good retention and excellent lacing. Mild to moderate carbonation. The nose has more of a candi sugar syrup smell to it, with not as much bananas or cloves as I would expect. Slight toast in the nose. Mouthfeel is syrupy with a dense body. The taste opens with the candi sugar taste, followed by a peculiar burnt sourness, like the wort was burnt. Lots of caramelization going on, then it's followed by a bitterness which is moderate, but too strong for the style. Touches of burnt rubber and crayola crayons in the aftertaste. A touch boozy and astringent.

Don't really care for this one. I should have grabbed a single. Not a very good Weizenbock. Moonglow, Aventinus, and Glockenspiel are MUCH better.

Mitchster, Mar 12, 2011

warnerry, Aug 23, 2013

Right from the start, I really didnt know what style of beer this was going to be. I could not find anything on the label.
It pours a fairly dark brew with , for me a total absence of any head.

The nose was a bit on the alcohol side, perhaps age in a bourbon cask. There seemed to be a good amount of malt here., but beyond that, I did not pick up anything else

The taste was big, but did not hold up to what I thought it was going to be. It was smoother and easier drinking. The malt hung onto my tounge and throat long after I finished this beer.

I was totally shocked, when I found out that this was a bock beer. This is something I need to educate myself on. The differences between a barley wine and a bock beer.

rdilauro, Feb 28, 2014

awdturboiv, Jan 27, 2012

A - Rusty, little to no head, no lacing.
S - Raisins, bourbon, prunes, a little bit of chocolate and yeast.
T - Caramel and toasted bread in the front, a little grassiness and hop bitterness in the mid, cedar and medicinal on the finish.
M - A little chewy, heavy, rich, definite alcohol heat.
O - Not a beer I'm going to revisit often, but glad I tried it nonetheless. It feels unbalanced and hastily assembled.

tlery, Aug 18, 2014

akttr, Oct 19, 2012

chewy6935, Aug 16, 2014
3.18/5  rDev -16.5%

A: Aggressive pour yields 1/2 finger of lacy cream colored head with good retention. Hazy crimson amber liquid. Pretty.
S: Mmmmm! Phenolic yeast notes with biscuity malt. Banana, caramel, chocolate, pecan.
T: Caramel up front with odd green banana twinge. Twinge is a big negative. Some fruity phenols. A little too much caramel flavor. Better as it warms, but not great.
M: Furry and bitter/astringent. A bummer!
D: I would not order another and I won't buy again. Looked and smelled great but flavor was not smooth and a little imbalanced.

dfillius, Jun 05, 2011
3.25/5  rDev -14.7%

webmanspidey, Jul 27, 2014
3.38/5  rDev -11.3%

How many beers are there named after the devil? Anyway, this one pours very dark for a weizenbock, near black and very opaque in my goblet. Tan head settles to a ring in a few seconds.

The smell is quite yeasty and toasty when I open it, much like pretzels. In my glass I smell lots of dark fruit, with some alcohol presence. There's also something faintly unpleasant lurking in the background, something earthy or musty.

It's very sweet, and fairly hot. The flavors upfront are bright - cherries and figs. There's some cocoa, certainly, and hints of nuts. Some licorice and bitter herbs towards the finish, though it finishes very sweet.

It's got alot of bite, from the alcohol and related flavors. The mouthfeel seems a bit thin and syrupy rather than rich and full.

Certainly it's an interesting beer, and worth trying. It reminds me more of a Chimay blue driving a hotrod than a malty German dunkelweizen, but as a big dark on its own it's pretty good. The drinkability is a bit low for me because of the alcohol heat and the sweetness.

brc, Feb 06, 2010
3.4/5  rDev -10.8%

From: Binny's, Schaumburg, IL
Date: Best before April 2011
Glass: Founders snifter

Atwater's Teufel weizenbock is a sweet, somewhat caramel and cocoa-like version of the style that's lacking in complexity from esters and phenols that others in the genre feature. I could never really find myself enjoying the mix of flavors in this beer that much, and while that doesn't mean it's "bad," it's not one I'd return to, as I could just purchase four Aventinus bottles for the same price as a four-pack of this.

Pours a 2cm tall head of beige-colored foam, made up of small-sized bubbles, creating a frothy appearance. Retention is above average at around 1.5 minutes, the foam fading to a thin ring around the perimeter of the glass. Lacing is good, with some large patterns and medium numbers of dots clinging to the sides of the glass. Body is a dark golden orange color, with light bringing out brighter golden orange hues. Carbonation visible through the lightly hazy (20-30% opacity) body, moderate in number and activity.

Aroma is sweet, dense, of fairly rich medium-dark caramel with a bit of yeast, prune and cocoa, but noticeably nonexistent are the banana, bubblegum, nutmeg, and clove that I expect in weizenbocks.

Front of palate tastes light caramel-like sweetness with herb-like and woodsy hop bitterness, pear and apple-like fruit esters, slight yeast. Mid-palate of light caramel, prunes, modest cocoa, dry bread, faint raspberries, spicy ethanol, and modestly herbal and bitter hops. Back of palate detects herbal and bitter hops, cocoa, moderately dark caramel sweetness, and modest spicy ethanol. Aftertaste of light caramel, cocoa, spicy ethanol, bitter and strongly herbal hops.

Beer is medium-bodied, with carbonation of medium-low intensity, resulting in a smooth (3/5), somewhat foamy (2/5) mouthfeel that's suitable for the high ethanol content of the beer. Closes dryly, with medium-high levels of stickiness clinging to the palate.

falloutsnow, Feb 04, 2014

Sammy, Jun 21, 2013

Giggy, Aug 31, 2013
3.5/5  rDev -8.1%

12oz bottle poured into snifter on 03/23/2011.
This beer is amber and reddish brown with a creamy white head. It dissipates quickly and left little lacing. The nose is full of caramel, biscuit, honey, and earth. Teufel has a few hops present, and adds a bit of nuttiness. I also pick up some apple notes. Medium body and medium carbonation. Dry finish and some late alcohol warmth noted. This is a good beer, not great. Alcohol is subdued considering its 10.9% ABV.

gnemesis, Apr 11, 2011

jaidenjb, Aug 24, 2012

RyanAU, Jun 16, 2013
3.5/5  rDev -8.1%

This beer poured out as a deep reddish brown color with a tan colored head on top. The smell of the beer had a decent amount of malts on the nose, there is also an earthy lager yeast aroma as well. The taste of the beer is nicely balanced between the malts and the bitterness in the finish. The mouthfeel of the beer is medium bodied with a moderate carbonation. Overall it is a decent Bock to try. It's not something I would buy a whole case of it though.

Knapp85, Jun 02, 2012
3.73/5  rDev -2.1%

I bought a single bottle of this as part of a M&M 6-pack at Everett's in South Beloit, IL.

Pours a medium brown color with slight bubbles of carbonation rising to the top, however there is not much of a head to this beer. Has an overall nutty scent with some scent of wheats. The first taste that hits you is the nutty flavor mixed with biscuit. It's a smooth, refreshing, bold taste that finishes clean and dry. Decent brew but leaves a chalky after taste that I don't care for too much.

Lemke10, Jan 19, 2012
3.73/5  rDev -2.1%

Appearance - Pours a blood amber color (like red wine) with a half inch thick, off-white head. Leaves a nice, creamy lacing.

Smell - Sweet, caramel, very malty, and toasted malts.

Taste - The flavors are very strong up front, especially bitter. Spicy hops, toasted malts, sweet, dark fruits, somewhat nutty, and kind of floral. Also has a small alcohol bite to it.

Mouthfeel - Medium bodied with medium carbonation.

Overall - This is my first time trying this style of beer. I'm not exactly a fan

jsisko01, Sep 27, 2012