Atwater Double Down Imperial Amber Ale - Atwater Brewery

Atwater Double Down Imperial Amber AleAtwater Double Down Imperial Amber Ale

Atwater Brewery visit their website

American Amber / Red Ale |  7.50% ABV

(Beer added by: NJpadreFan on 01-22-2010)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters

06-01-2012 02:33:41 | More by jaidenjb
Hojaminbag

Colorado

1.83/5  rDev -42.8%

Double Down Imperial Amber Ale has a ruby colored body that mixes hues of both red and brown together and a large, off-white head that clings to the side of the glass well enough to leave some solid lacing.

The aroma has a bit of hops, sweet malts, and a nasty sour aroma to it.

My friends from Michigan keep making sure a few stragglers from Atwater end up in my fridge, so I always end up popping one open from time to time. Most of them, including this one, have been very bad. I have held off reviewing them for various reasons, but this one I decided to go for. A bite of bitterness and some grapefruit comes through, as well as some stale-tasting, sweet malt. After that is sheer chaos. Butter, sourness, dirty pennies, just a complete mess. Horrid.

The mouthfeel seems good enough, but something that tastes this bad is really hard to accurately describe.

Many of the Atwater beers that I have tried have been really bad, and I regret not reviewing them. One thing I can say for Double Down Imperial Amber is that it fits in.

02-15-2012 01:28:28 | More by Hojaminbag

Bilco

11-28-2011 23:07:59 | More by Bilco
Poorpatz

4.2/5  rDev +31.3%

Got this bottle as an extra in a trade not sure who sent it to me. It is at least six months old at this point been sitting in my cellar. Poured into my Sam Adams Perfect Pint Glass(probably not the right glass but damn I love this glass). It starts off with a strong dirty white foamy head which sticks around and form some nice lacing on the glass. My first smell is all Malty sweetness picking up carmel and maybe some raison, I am loving the smell. The first sip is the tangy sweetness of the malt then comes some of that carmel. The bottle I drank doesn't seem to be overly carbonated which is a good thing for me it drinks very smooth. I am really liking this beer. I never had this style before but it is a nice change.

09-26-2011 02:54:24 | More by Poorpatz
chicagoabbot

3.15/5  rDev -1.6%

On-tap at Clark St. Alehouse. Had never heard of this beer. They have many fine beers there, but this was not one of their top beers. Not too great. I guess I should have asked about the style, but just wanted to try something I had never had before. Big brown body, decent head. Pretty malty but not a ton of depth. Decent hop balance. Appearance and smell are its strong suits. Not bad, but not great. Probably won't drink it again if I'm there, too many other awesome brews on draft there, and I've never seen it anywhere else.

06-16-2011 18:44:40 | More by chicagoabbot
jacobseyb

Alabama

2.98/5  rDev -6.9%

Poured from the bottle into my snifter a deep dark amber color. Off-white head was thick and laced well. Dissipated rather quickly. Smell was definitely dark fruits, little to no hop aroma. Taste is very similar, with dark fruits leading the way. Some dryness, very crisp in feel. Overall not my favorite in the style, a little to sweet, and the flavors weren't as expected.

06-02-2011 04:13:58 | More by jacobseyb
TheGarvenator

Maryland

2.23/5  rDev -30.3%

A - pours a dark, murky amber reddish color with a relentless head that takes forever to dissipate.

S - smells delicious with scents of hops and malt

T - tastes incredibly bitter and metallic

M - the hops overwhelm and sting the mouth, and the metal taste ruins all hope of enjoying it....also extremely carbonated

Wow, I wasnt suspecting this ale to be this horrendous....the smell and appearance are misleading since it looks great and smells pretty good too but the taste ruins it completely. Its as if they brewed this with pennies or some monetary coin and sold it....too much yeast I say, the head takes like an hour to calm down and I believe that adds to the metallic taste which ruins the experience...I do not recommend this to anyone with taste buds....

04-04-2011 22:02:32 | More by TheGarvenator
biggred1

Indiana

3.13/5  rDev -2.2%

Turbid, apple cider brown with a massive airy head that lasts forever and takes a while to pour, this beer is a gusher. The nose is brown sugar and caramel malt. Sweet caramel and green apple skin with some herbal hop notes in the finish. A bit over-carbonated for my liking and on the leaner side of medium bodied. This beer doesn't really work for me, I have yet to find a great offering from Atwater Block.

11-03-2010 23:05:35 | More by biggred1
Beejay

1.8/5  rDev -43.8%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 1.5

A: Deep reddish brown, crystal clear with a nice tan head. Big chunks of yeast sediment in this, as well as foaming out the top when I popped the cap.

S: Malty and sweet smelling. The sweetness is very odd, I can't quite put my finger on it.

T: This is a strange mix of flavors. Sweet and sour at the same time. Something is definitely off about this. There is some hop flavor that really lingers, there is some cardboard flavors as well as a bit of funky/dirty flavor. Not enjoyable.

M: Extremely high carbonation, almost solvent like.

D: It's been a few years since I have given an Atwater brew a try, and right now they are 0 for 2. Skip this beer, unless you want to give your sink something to drink. So far everything I have had from the brewery has been a drain pour.

10-20-2010 02:22:43 | More by Beejay
wedgie9

Tennessee

2.63/5  rDev -17.8%

Tasted from 12oz bottle at Lush West Town. Pours clear amber with a fairly thin lace white head. Nose is strange, and reminiscent of Fritos with a hint of sweetness and an alcohol burn. Flavor is no better with a corny malt flavor and decent alcohol. The body is medium but sticky with average carbonation and a medium bitter finish.

09-27-2010 19:37:15 | More by wedgie9
zoso1967

3.2/5  rDev 0%

Thanks to TCgoalie for this bottle

Pours reddish murky deep brown with a light tan head. Speaking of the head, this thing was WAY over carbonated and a gentle pour filled my pint with a towering head. It took a good ten minutes to get this thing under control, and by that point the head looked like it belonged in a modern art gallery. All that being said, it did leave concrete like lace.

The aroma was very malt forward with plenty of doughy malt mingling with some delicate herbal hop notes. Really not a huge nose on this though. Very subdued.

The flavor is quite interesting. Plenty of sweet malt with a nice caramel/cookie dough thing going on. It also had an interesting cherry like taste in it that reminded me of the flavor that many of the high ABV DFH beers have. Intriguing, but not really what I was looking for in a beer like this. Floral and herbal hops are also present, but it seems to be mostly malt forward.

The mouthfeel is medium and after all that crazy foam during the pour, it has nothing left to give in the carbonation department. Perhaps this is the reason I am not getting a huge amount of flavor out of this beer. The finish itself is quite nice though, and leaves a pleasant sweetness on my tongue.

I was really not that impressed with this beer. Part of me wants to track down a bottle or draft that does not have the carbonation issues, but another part of me is pretty sure that even if it was noticeably better, it would still not be worth it.

09-14-2010 23:56:50 | More by zoso1967
OWSLEY069

3.15/5  rDev -1.6%

Pours a clean orange-ish to yellow color, with a small off white head. In the aroma, mellow grapefruity hops and somewhat iced tea like. In the taste, mellow grapefruit citrus hops and a sweet malt. A small bite and medium bodied mouthfeel, with a semi dry, small hop aftertaste. Mellow and smooth, with nice hop presence.

09-13-2010 20:57:49 | More by OWSLEY069