Atwater Double Down Imperial Amber Ale - Atwater Brewery

Atwater Double Down Imperial Amber AleAtwater Double Down Imperial Amber Ale

Atwater Brewery visit their website

American Amber / Red Ale |  7.50% ABV

(Beer added by: NJpadreFan on 01-22-2010)
« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »

2.75/5  rDev -13.8%

2.75/5  rDev -13.8%

4.25/5  rDev +33.2%

2.25/5  rDev -29.5%

1.83/5  rDev -42.6%

Double Down Imperial Amber Ale has a ruby colored body that mixes hues of both red and brown together and a large, off-white head that clings to the side of the glass well enough to leave some solid lacing.

The aroma has a bit of hops, sweet malts, and a nasty sour aroma to it.

My friends from Michigan keep making sure a few stragglers from Atwater end up in my fridge, so I always end up popping one open from time to time. Most of them, including this one, have been very bad. I have held off reviewing them for various reasons, but this one I decided to go for. A bite of bitterness and some grapefruit comes through, as well as some stale-tasting, sweet malt. After that is sheer chaos. Butter, sourness, dirty pennies, just a complete mess. Horrid.

The mouthfeel seems good enough, but something that tastes this bad is really hard to accurately describe.

Many of the Atwater beers that I have tried have been really bad, and I regret not reviewing them. One thing I can say for Double Down Imperial Amber is that it fits in.

4.2/5  rDev +31.7%

Got this bottle as an extra in a trade not sure who sent it to me. It is at least six months old at this point been sitting in my cellar. Poured into my Sam Adams Perfect Pint Glass(probably not the right glass but damn I love this glass). It starts off with a strong dirty white foamy head which sticks around and form some nice lacing on the glass. My first smell is all Malty sweetness picking up carmel and maybe some raison, I am loving the smell. The first sip is the tangy sweetness of the malt then comes some of that carmel. The bottle I drank doesn't seem to be overly carbonated which is a good thing for me it drinks very smooth. I am really liking this beer. I never had this style before but it is a nice change.

3.15/5  rDev -1.3%

On-tap at Clark St. Alehouse. Had never heard of this beer. They have many fine beers there, but this was not one of their top beers. Not too great. I guess I should have asked about the style, but just wanted to try something I had never had before. Big brown body, decent head. Pretty malty but not a ton of depth. Decent hop balance. Appearance and smell are its strong suits. Not bad, but not great. Probably won't drink it again if I'm there, too many other awesome brews on draft there, and I've never seen it anywhere else.

2.98/5  rDev -6.6%

Poured from the bottle into my snifter a deep dark amber color. Off-white head was thick and laced well. Dissipated rather quickly. Smell was definitely dark fruits, little to no hop aroma. Taste is very similar, with dark fruits leading the way. Some dryness, very crisp in feel. Overall not my favorite in the style, a little to sweet, and the flavors weren't as expected.

2.23/5  rDev -30.1%

A - pours a dark, murky amber reddish color with a relentless head that takes forever to dissipate.

S - smells delicious with scents of hops and malt

T - tastes incredibly bitter and metallic

M - the hops overwhelm and sting the mouth, and the metal taste ruins all hope of enjoying it....also extremely carbonated

Wow, I wasnt suspecting this ale to be this horrendous....the smell and appearance are misleading since it looks great and smells pretty good too but the taste ruins it completely. Its as if they brewed this with pennies or some monetary coin and sold it....too much yeast I say, the head takes like an hour to calm down and I believe that adds to the metallic taste which ruins the experience...I do not recommend this to anyone with taste buds....

3.13/5  rDev -1.9%

Turbid, apple cider brown with a massive airy head that lasts forever and takes a while to pour, this beer is a gusher. The nose is brown sugar and caramel malt. Sweet caramel and green apple skin with some herbal hop notes in the finish. A bit over-carbonated for my liking and on the leaner side of medium bodied. This beer doesn't really work for me, I have yet to find a great offering from Atwater Block.

1.8/5  rDev -43.6%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 1.5

A: Deep reddish brown, crystal clear with a nice tan head. Big chunks of yeast sediment in this, as well as foaming out the top when I popped the cap.

S: Malty and sweet smelling. The sweetness is very odd, I can't quite put my finger on it.

T: This is a strange mix of flavors. Sweet and sour at the same time. Something is definitely off about this. There is some hop flavor that really lingers, there is some cardboard flavors as well as a bit of funky/dirty flavor. Not enjoyable.

M: Extremely high carbonation, almost solvent like.

D: It's been a few years since I have given an Atwater brew a try, and right now they are 0 for 2. Skip this beer, unless you want to give your sink something to drink. So far everything I have had from the brewery has been a drain pour.

2.63/5  rDev -17.6%

Tasted from 12oz bottle at Lush West Town. Pours clear amber with a fairly thin lace white head. Nose is strange, and reminiscent of Fritos with a hint of sweetness and an alcohol burn. Flavor is no better with a corny malt flavor and decent alcohol. The body is medium but sticky with average carbonation and a medium bitter finish.

« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »