Atwater Conniption Fit Double IPA - Atwater Brewery

Atwater Conniption Fit Double IPAAtwater Conniption Fit Double IPA

Atwater Brewery visit their website

(Beer added by: oberon on 06-12-2010)

3.25/5  rDev -3.8%

4.25/5  rDev +25.7%

3.01/5  rDev -10.9%

- double ipa. bot. june 13. consumed sept. 13.

A: Princeton orange pour with a decent clarity. Creamy-milky topping has an oatmeal tint with a fair stay of retention. Fine, moderate rise of carbonation with a broken, speckled, and spacious setting of lace on the vessel.

S: Faint flowery, citrus, no real sense of hoppiness, some bread, but no real toastiness. Disappointing for a pale, let alone a reputed ipa.

T: The flavor was a bit rough citrus, raw, flowery, mildewy, old, against some toasted bread, pine and some thick hop oils.

M: Syrupy, spicy dried honey floral notes. Lightly syrupy body, light crispness, spicy dried honey citrus flower leave.

O: Decent level of hoppiness does not always make for a good ipa. syrupy, not particularly bright hop wise, nor tasty flavor wise. meh. A C+ at best beer.

3.75/5  rDev +10.9%

4.25/5  rDev +25.7%

3.86/5  rDev +14.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

I was at The Friendly Greek recently, picking up some lovely bombers and having a draft while doing so when one of my constituents walked in. He was in the market for some IPAs and DIPAs and asked if I could recommend some. I helped him to get a mixed-six and steered him over to a four-pack of this beer. I told him that Atwater Block has always been very hit-or-miss for me, in that when they hit it, it is fantastic and when they miss, they miss by a mile. I further copped that I was curious to try this one, but I did not want to commit to four, even for $11.00 so he bought the four, and I owe him $3.00 for the one that he slipped into my bag for review. It is nice to have friends ...

From the bottle: "Conniption Fit - /ke'nipSHen/ /fit/ - a hoppy ale characterized by a sudden, violent hop outburst, often accompanied by a tirade of strong language and unexpected gyrations of the face and mouth due to hysterical enjoyment."; "Beer Is Good"; "Enjoy Responsibly".

It was extremely fizzy and effervescent following the initial pour, so I backed off so as not to overflow the glass. Upon settling, I had just under two fingers of dense, light-tan head with good retention as the day's humidity made an unwanted return following intermittent showers. Color was a coppery-amber with NE-quality clarity. A previous reviewer mentioned haze and sediment, but I had neither. Notched date was J(une) 2013, so mine was definitely fresh. One whiff of the nose and I also understood what another reviewer meant by this as being an "English DIPA" as it was very malt-driven with the hops underlying the sweetness. I was put in mind more of a barleywine. Mouthfeel was on the full side, possibly due to all of the carbonation. The initial taste was very sweet, especially for the style, and very reminiscent of a barleywine. Thick, sticky lacing began to appear from the first draught. Finish was semi-dry, with the hops finally getting a chance to flex their muscles.

How do I quantify this one? If they would re-label it as an English-style barleywine or a Strong Ale, I would buy into it. As an ADIPA, it was far too sweet and malt-driven for my taste. Did I like it? Sure! It made me break out in a sweat drinking it, which all ADIPAs should do to be of any merit at all, but stylistically, it was flawed. Am I a style maven? Heck, no! But neither should I just gloss over that it really was not as advertised. Would I choose this over their misses, as previously mentioned? Heck, yes! Like I said, it was getting me where I was going, but it was taking an alternate route in so doing. Confound these guys!

4.5/5  rDev +33.1%

3.25/5  rDev -3.8%

3.73/5  rDev +10.4%

Here we have a double IPA from Atwater brewery. They are one of my favorite local breweries, and make a great range of high ABV brews. You're not going to want to drink any of these all evening.

Pours a cloudy golden color, with a nice tight head. It looks just right for an IPA.

It's got a ton of hoppy bitterness. It's not too complex, but more straightforward. Bitter hops. If you like the bitter taste of hops, you'll like this. It leaves a very sharp, bitter aftertaste. I'm a huge fan of the bitterness, so I enjoy this beer a lot. If you are looking for more malt in your IPA, you may want to try something else.

It's from Detroit, so don't disrespect it, or it will cut you, Man.

2.75/5  rDev -18.6%