Uber Ursa Pils - Atwater Brewery

Uber Ursa PilsUber Ursa Pils

Atwater Brewery visit their website

American Double / Imperial Pilsner |  6.80% ABV

(Beer added by: Jason on 05-10-2011)
« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »

2.2/5  rDev -34.5%

07/27/11 Thicker than your usual pilsner. A tad more bitter

"An interpretation of an original pilsener. Clean, strong, dry, hoppy. Brewed with two-row and Cara pils malts, with Magnum Tettnang and Herkules hops.

All that and I am not impressed.

2.5/5  rDev -25.6%

3.25/5  rDev -3.3%

4.5/5  rDev +33.9%

2.75/5  rDev -18.2%

1.75/5  rDev -47.9%

3.75/5  rDev +11.6%

Hard to really know what to say about this one. This is a style that you don't really see a lot of, so who can say what is closest to style guidelines and all. This one strikes me as pretty good. A bit boozy and burning. Spicy edges to it a bit. Thick grain and hearty tones that stay consistent and firm. Even though this is a bit thicker, I find it quite easy and pleasurable to drink. I could deal with more of this. Glad I had a chance to try this one.

4.25/5  rDev +26.5%

4.18/5  rDev +24.4%

Pours a deep golden color with a healthy, frothy head with a fair amount of haze. Can smell the hops eminating as it is pouring. Extremely floral nose with grapefruit and a touch of sweetness pouring through the odors. Very sweet at first immediately turning to notes of bitterness and malt. All the traditional pilsner flavors are there, but they’ve taken the best ones and boosted them. Thin mouthfeel with the perfect amount of carbonation. Flavors continue to linger, meld and change for as long as a minute after it goes down the hatch. I really liked this one, but haven't had many imperial pilsners.

3.55/5  rDev +5.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I picked up a bottle of Atwater's Uber Ursa Pils a couple weeks ago for $2.59 at The Lager Mil. I was in the Pilsener mode and I haven't tried this beer yet so I decided to give it a shot, so lets see how it goes. This bottle was notched May 2011, I wish I would have checked that at the store before I bought it, I hope it's still good. Poured from a brown 12oz bottle into a Pilsener glass.

A- The label is pretty typical for an Atwater beer and is pretty plain and nothing that will catch your eye. It poured a slightly cloudy golden orange color with three fingers worth of fluffy white head that died down to a thin layer that stayed till the end and left some nice lacing. This is a pretty good looking Pilsener.

S- The aroma of this beer starts off with loads of malts that have a low amount of sweetness and impart a lot of biscuit, bread and grainy aromas. After that comes a light amount of fruits like apples and pears. At the end I pick up a light amount of earthy and grassy hops. A pretty straightforward and nice smelling Pilsener.

T- The flavor of this beer is pretty close to the aroma, it starts off with loads of malts that taste slightly toasted and impart those typical Pilsener malt and biscuit flavors and they have a light amount of sweetness. After that comes the hops which impart some grassy, earthy, and a slight bit of those fruits that I picked up the aroma. The hops impart a high amount of medium bitterness. The finish is slightly bitter with a grainy, and earthy hop aftertaste. This Pilsener tasted good and it had some good balance to it.

M- Smooth, medium bodied, and it had a high amount of carbonation. The mouthfeel was nice but the carbonation could be toned down a little bit.

Overall I thought that this was a good beer and a slightly above average Imperial Pilsener. This wasn't a very complex beer, but it did have some nice simple flavors and aromas that were just as they should be and pretty well done. This beer has pretty good drinkability, usually these Imperial Pilseners can be pretty bitter and not that drinkable but with this beer the bitterness is kept in check and I could see myself having two or three of these. What I liked most about this beer was the appearance, it looked really good poured into a Pilsener glass. What I liked least about this beer was the higher amount of carbonation and the fact that they call this an Imperial Pilsener, this beer was more American Pilsener then Imperial Pilsener, it didn't have the high amount of bitterness and hops that I associate with that style. I would buy this beer again when looking for a good Pilsener, but at $2.59 it's a little pricey for what it is. If your a Pilsener fan this beer is worth giving a try but don't expect this beer to be as intense as most Imperial Pilseners. I think this beer held up pretty well and wasn't to affected by the age, but I would still like to try a fresher bottle. Atwater has been hit or miss for me lately and this beer proved to be more hit then miss, all in all it was a solid Pilsener that was pretty smooth and had a good flavor, good job with this beer it's got just about everything that I look for in a American Pilsener.

« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »